• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:08
CEST 04:08
KST 11:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War585.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8816 users

[G] Mouse less computer usage ( browsing aswell!)

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-28 15:43:52
February 28 2010 13:55 GMT
#1
Tags/Links
yubnub I Windows_7_shortcuts I Windows_7_hotkey I Slickrun I Run_Commands I Gleebox I Firefox_shortcuts I Keyboard_Hotkeys
[image loading]

Description:
This guide combines different programs and plug-ins to achieve better keyboard usage.

Disclaimer
+ Show Spoiler +
For using most of this guide you probably need to use either Windows or Firefox/Chrome. A few things will be unique for Windows 7/possibly Vista.
The tools I use to achieve mouse less computer usage is my preferred choices and it's definitely not written in stone I try and find better methods all the time. My taste and choices might not be for everyone and you can of course replace whatever you want.

The sections about Windows hot keys is mostly for giving an idea that it's possible to use keyboard only and I do not cover in dept. No flaming or trolling towards this topic please. Thank you for reading.

FAQ
+ Show Spoiler +
Why not use the mouse?
I use my mouse all the time. I don't want you to unplug it and throw it away. However, everyone who's played some Starcraft probably knows the strength that lies in hotkeys. the time required to rapidly move to a target area is a function of the distance to and the size of the target. If you play starcraft and have to move across the terrain to select one building this obviously take time. This applies to computers in general. Hotkeys are fast and ergonomic.
Linux have numberous and better solutions, right?
Yes probably. Linux is really good... I like windows though

Are all the things you link to free from viruses and whatnot?
Yes. But don't trust me, trust your common sense and your anti-virus program(s).


Mouse less computer usage

THE TOOLSET:
Slickrun - the slick way to run stuff
+ Show Spoiler +
Alternatives: run(ctrl+r), Launchy, more
This is basically a better version of run. I think quite many use win+r to start mspaint or calc. I use it to start almost everything. Every command available using run is also available in Slickrun. Where slickrun appears and also how is very customizable. Adding new keywords to slickrun is very slick and easy.

Don't remove your icons and shortcuts from the taskbar, you need them when you have one hand busy (on the phone, eating w/e). but I use slickrun 9/10 times when I start something. Note that You can add shortcuts to folders as well so navigating and starting stuff is basically covered by this tool.

Use example:
PIC:+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
(click on it twice for full size)

I simply press my hotkey for slickrun (ctrl+r) type ww, now slickrun automatically suggest wwc3. As you can see in the details of that keyword it's a command that starts wc3 in windowed mode - Something I use a lot. If I type wc3 it would start wc3 normally (separate keyword). Note that you can also select if you want it to start minimized etc.

If you want slickrun to take over ctrl+r (recommended) then shut slickrun down, go to slickrun.ini and edit the field "GrabWinR=0" and replace 0 with 1. The ini file is located here for me "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\SlickRun\SlickRun.ini" you can search for it.

If you are currently running something and what to start it with a keyword next time then drag and drop the dropper to that particular application. (The dropper is the green sword-look-alike thing at the screen shot above)

Lastly I will just recommend anyone that tries this program to try the visual settings

General Windows shortcuts
+ Show Spoiler +
The most important skill toi have is these basic shortcuts. (many listed here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=83736) However I only use a fraction of those. The key is, every time you grab the mouse, think of what hotkey you would need instead and learn it.

A few basic examples is using backspace, arrows(with alt in folders) and tab to navigate in windows. Win+tab, alt+tab, win+d (and then arrow keys) are vital parts if this. Another very important puzzle piece is win+ type anything. Since vista and windows 7 indexes it's very useful to just press win and then type whatever you want. And if you keep your start menu clean itself can be useful simply by using win+arrows.

When your typing Shift+arrows/shift or the super nice combo Shift+Home/End lets you mark easily, note that control adds extra functionality to these hotkeys. Home is probably the second most underused key (win probably being #1).
Many of these hot keys apply when using text editors and web browsers as well.

Windows 7 shortcuts
+ Show Spoiler +
These are just very sweet. Study them carefully.
Win+space (peaks at desktop), win+1 (launches a new instance of first taskbar shortcut. win+2 the next one to the right etc.

win+b focuses the system tray icons - one of the key features that makes my mouse collect dust. Basically - there is a ton of new stuff. Read up and learn!

Browsing using Firefox shortcuts
+ Show Spoiler +
Now we are finally getting some were. I think much of this applies to Chrome and other browsers. Mozilla has a lot of useful shortcuts. The most basic ones being alt+d to focus the address bar and ctrl+t/w to make/close tabs, ctrl+f to search and ctrl+tab to navigate between tabs.

This actually covers most of the use scenarios - at least for me. Alt is useful sometimes when I want to navigate to History or Tools - Addons. These and the other Mozilla shortcuts you need are small but vital parts of being able to browse with (almost) no mouse. Yes - I must admit there's a few things that are still complicated - BUT I will figure those out. Anyways, say you just entered teamliquid and you want to check out one of the articles at the first page. That would require like 20 tabs... Pretty lame.

Also what if you want to do a TLPD search, that's also like 30 tabs. To this problem I want to introduce the final puzzle piece - Gleebox.

The Firefox/Chrome plug-in Gleebox.<---Boring topic ? Before you give up read this
+ Show Spoiler +

Alternatives: Vimpernator
This a greaat plug-in. Watch the vids at it's website for an introduction. You basically press G and then type commands. There's a few very useful ones - for example "??" tabs between input fields, "?img" between images etc etc. Suddenly you can browse around very fast using your keyboard! Want to edit your post? press g and type edit. Very intuitive and strong functionality.

There's also very cool things like !shorten that shortens the url you currently are at. But this is just the beginning. All the yubnub commands work. 2008 yubnub had 22k+ commands and you can make your own.

For example ":gim teamliquid" will google image search for teamliquid. This plug-in was indeed the final puzzle piece and since it's still in it's infant stages I'm sure it will only get better. For user manual type !manual. Go to yubnub to learn commands: One of my favorites so far is "s.i:" Try "s.i: humans" for example! =)


Final Words
+ Show Spoiler +
Hopefully you liked this guide and have the will to start using your keyboard more=> if you find any cool yubnub commands or other please comment. Thanks for reading
lavion
Profile Joined September 2009
Singapore286 Posts
February 28 2010 13:58 GMT
#2
good skill toi have indeed
Flash for bonjwa
Abenson
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada4122 Posts
February 28 2010 14:34 GMT
#3
Seems amazing
miseiler
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States1389 Posts
February 28 2010 14:45 GMT
#4
Vimperator is the only reason I *must* use Firefox.

The rest of this is built into half the linux window managers out there. See DWM, WMII, Awesome, Subtle, StumpWM, Ion, Ratpoison, XMonad, etc etc etc.
"Jinro soo manly wearing only a T-Shirt while the Koreans freeze in their jackets" -- Double_O
"He's from Sweden, man. We have to fight polar bears on our way to school." -- Yusername
29 fps
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States5725 Posts
February 28 2010 14:47 GMT
#5
sounds good. kinda like memorizing hotkeys for sc.
4v4 is a battle of who has the better computer.
aikepah
Profile Joined November 2009
United States115 Posts
February 28 2010 14:49 GMT
#6
mouseless computing, meh, post again when you have something like Mouseless Starcraft Then i'll be impressed.
nozaro33
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Taiwan1819 Posts
February 28 2010 14:52 GMT
#7
Cool stuff! Yeah I want mouseless Starcraft That means you'll be able to play SC on a ipad? LOL
#1 Flash / #2 NaDa / #3 Stats fan / KT fan for life
Piste
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
6184 Posts
February 28 2010 15:07 GMT
#8
I can manage without mouse, but why would I want to? O.o
Archaic
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States4024 Posts
February 28 2010 15:10 GMT
#9
Using my mouse improves my micro.
Nuff said.
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-28 15:17:31
February 28 2010 15:16 GMT
#10
Oh, I thought this would be tips on how to use that stupid pad thing... I already use shortcuts since I don't like scanning thru folders. Every program I use has a shortcut in win32. For browsing files (and internet) I hold alt and use arrow keys. That's about all you need to know to make the mouse useless outside of games.
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
flamez[666]
Profile Joined February 2010
11 Posts
February 28 2010 15:18 GMT
#11
linux + shell = done
7mk
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Germany10157 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-28 15:31:02
February 28 2010 15:29 GMT
#12
Very nice

I tried some more windows7 shortcuts, I find win + x incredibly useful
win + d is also nice, like it better than win + space
beep boop
Captain Mayhem
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Sweden774 Posts
February 28 2010 15:32 GMT
#13
One of the FF key commands I use daily since I heard of it.
ctrl+shift+T
Open the last closed tab, in case you closed one by mistake.
Gravity is just a theory anyway.
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-28 15:40:59
February 28 2010 15:34 GMT
#14
On February 28 2010 23:45 miseiler wrote:
Vimperator is the only reason I *must* use Firefox.

The rest of this is built into half the linux window managers out there. See DWM, WMII, Awesome, Subtle, StumpWM, Ion, Ratpoison, XMonad, etc etc etc.


Yes. Linux is sweet. Vimpernator is sweet. But it does not appeal to everyone

On March 01 2010 00:07 Piste wrote:
I can manage without mouse, but why would I want to? O.o

Adressed in the OP under FAQ.


On March 01 2010 00:16 Chef wrote:
Oh, I thought this would be tips on how to use that stupid pad thing... I already use shortcuts since I don't like scanning thru folders. Every program I use has a shortcut in win32. For browsing files (and internet) I hold alt and use arrow keys. That's about all you need to know to make the mouse useless outside of games.


I prefer slickrun to run/x32 since it's basically the same thing except alot of extra functionality. Backing up the hotkeys is one file, easier to add/change keywords, can choose to start minimized etc etc. You can tweak it so your current added shortcuts work with slickrun (forgot how though).

Not sure how you use arrows in the browser? Please clarify this!

On March 01 2010 00:29 7mk wrote:
Very nice

I tried some more windows7 shortcuts, I find win + x incredibly useful
win + d is also nice, like it better than win + space


Yes, win + space is not for me either, just mentioned it because it's new while win+d is present in XP.
GreEny K
Profile Joined February 2008
Germany7312 Posts
February 28 2010 15:34 GMT
#15
What's wrong with the mouse, NOTHING. It makes SC possible and you try to replace it?!?!?! >_<
Why would you ever choose failure, when success is an option.
Chuiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
3470 Posts
February 28 2010 15:37 GMT
#16
Hahaha, back when I used to live with my parents and suffer from insomnia I would stay up all night playing MUDS. My parents thought if they took away the mouse it would prevent me from doing anything but at that point I already knew how to do everything with a keyboard.

For web browsing I use a mouse a lot though because mouse gestures makes a lot of things really fast.
♞
HazMat
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States17077 Posts
February 28 2010 16:10 GMT
#17
Is there a way to click on a bookmark in firefox using the keyboard?
www.youtube.com/user/ShakeDrizzle | League and SSBM content creator | Armada's Youtube Editor
Aim Here
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Scotland672 Posts
February 28 2010 16:20 GMT
#18
On March 01 2010 01:10 HazMat wrote:
Is there a way to click on a bookmark in firefox using the keyboard?


Alt+B (notice that the B in Bookmarks is underlined which is a clue), then navigate up and down with the cursor keys, then hit enter when you're on the right bookmark.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-28 16:32:31
February 28 2010 16:26 GMT
#19
Instead of all that, you could just run Lynx as your browser (preferably from an external shell account). No mouse usage at all!

[image loading]


Edit: Notice how it bypasses the spoiler tags
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Wohmfg
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United Kingdom1292 Posts
February 28 2010 16:33 GMT
#20
Great guide!

Also, in Firefox, F6 highlights your address, and ctrl-e puts your cursor in the search bar at the top right.
BW4Life!
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 52m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 202
NeuroSwarm 148
FoxeR 14
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1030
Leta 616
Bale 83
League of Legends
Doublelift4156
Other Games
summit1g8616
JimRising 536
ViBE198
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick672
BasetradeTV201
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 100
• Light_VIP 12
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1086
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7h 52m
Patches Events
12h 52m
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 52m
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 52m
OSC
20h 52m
OSC
1d 9h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.