• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:59
CEST 14:59
KST 21:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)65Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12532 users

SC2 Noob School - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Xapti
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada2473 Posts
June 23 2010 02:51 GMT
#21
Good work. Although I'd say that you should watch out saying it's bad to accumulate gas as zerg. Not only is it more acceptable, but I'd say it's completely acceptable, since generally it's beneficial to save up gas to produce as many units as you can when the tech pops up, such as mutalisks or hydralisks. While hydralisks are only 2:1 resource ratio, having a stockpile of gas still helps. Not only for the range upgrade, but because it's very likely one would have more than a 2:1 mineral mining income compared to gas (typically about 3 to 1).
Keeping a bit of extra money around as zerg is also useful for faster composition switches, although it's pretty difficult to do since they need to keep their army big enough to defend or control map.
"Then he told me to tell you that he wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire" — "Well, you tell him that I said that I wouldn't piss on him if he was on Jeopardy!"
PipeWeed
Profile Joined May 2010
Philippines5 Posts
June 23 2010 03:06 GMT
#22
I feel like I'm 13 all over again have a webcam chat with a stranger

It was 10-11 years ago and I chatted in Hotmail rooms (which led to MSN/webcam chats with 'strangers


...the hell you were 2 yrs old that time?... doesn't make sense man...
...GG...

User was warned for this post
yarkO
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Canada810 Posts
June 23 2010 03:08 GMT
#23
I'm almost 24. I realize English may not be your first language, but simple math is universal. Figure it out.


..............GG................
When you are prepared, there's no such thing as pressure.
zanderfever.TV
Profile Joined March 2010
United States362 Posts
June 23 2010 03:12 GMT
#24
I'm looking forward to the scouting video. Thanks for this, it will help a great deal.
PipeWeed
Profile Joined May 2010
Philippines5 Posts
June 23 2010 03:13 GMT
#25
...actually correct my man!!!... english is not my first language... but anyways you had your point so no big deal... everyone has their own opinion...
Nexic
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States729 Posts
June 23 2010 03:46 GMT
#26
I think it would actually be really weird/awkward if you put a sheet behind you, so my constructive criticism is don't listen to yank0's constructive criticism. Just my opinion.
Cpt.Nasty
Profile Joined June 2010
53 Posts
June 23 2010 04:52 GMT
#27
I've been lurking the past few days. Figured I'd make an account to help you out, since I enjoyed your content and like your general idea.

Please change your background. I know it sounds shallow, but presentation is very important. I do biology presentations, and when it comes to posters (I've always found it humorous that I'm presenting my science projects the same way I was back in middle school), they have to be easy on the eyes, or you'll get ignored.

The human eye is drawn toward open white space. There's a significant glare from your window, and it is distracting.

If you absolutely, positively must keep your face in the video, that's the only thing that I would say "needs" to be fixed.

Personally, though, I would do away with the constant video of your face unless you have a very good reason. It adds another thing for my eyes to be distracted by instead of the game.

I don't see why you couldn't keep the video of yourself while the game isn't going on, like towards the end when you start talking about multi tasking. There's nothing else for me to be looking at anyways, so it's fine.

When you put yourself in the game, though, you're telling the audience that at some point you want us to look at you and... it never really comes.


It's not a huge deal, more of a polishing thing. "Why do I want these people to be looking at my face the whole game?"



In the end, if you decide you absolutely, positively, must keep that shot of you in the videos, the glare has to go. And honestly, you'd probably have to do something about your back wall as well if you really want to polish things. The eye, as we said before, is attracted to open, white spaces.

If you remove the glare area from your vid, we still have a huge section of your wall that is light, and draws the eyes away toward the bottom right corner. You also have the disadvantage of having your bed visible, which invites our eyes to try to make sense of the for/back ground, which further distracts from the game.

The reason Day 9's setup works is because he has that poster on the left (black area so your eyes are centered on him). If he didn't have it, our eyes would be drawn to the left of his head, instead of him.

My advice? Remove the video of yourself except when you want to make a big point. This gives you two big advantages. One, it lets people focus on your content. You want to be known as more than just a pretty face, or the guy who puts his face in videos. Two, by waiting to use your mug except when necessary, it allows your points to be more effective, since it creates the illusion of conversation, which isn't the case when you're a tiny little man in the corner of the "big picture."

I think this project shows great promise. Just needs a little polish.
Trebis
Profile Joined March 2010
United States182 Posts
June 23 2010 06:38 GMT
#28
Hey Cpt. Nasty, grats on an awesome first post--I really appreciate the feedback.

I have to agree with you on pretty much everything you said. I'm gonna see what I can do about making my background better, although I am moving apartments very soon so the scenery will be changing anyway.

When you put yourself in the game, though, you're telling the audience that at some point you want us to look at you and... it never really comes.


I like the way you put this, and I have to agree. The reason I decided to put my face in the video was to make it feel more personable and like a conversation (rather than an omnipotent voice talking through a computer screen) but when there is no real reason to look at my screen anyway, I can see how it would be distracting.

What if I further deemphasized the webcam overlay by putting it where the portrait for units is?
Screenshot with webcam placed in unit portrait

If that's still distracting I'll definitely consider removing it away entirely until I have significant things to say.

Thanks again for the awesome comments!
Are your friends all noobs? Send them to SC2 Noob School! www.youtube.com/sc2noobschool
xzidez
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden147 Posts
June 23 2010 07:44 GMT
#29
Hmm I feel like learning to keep the gas low isnt really any of the first "noob tips" that you should give. More like, keep minerals low. If you cant, add more gateways : P

Have a look at day9's "back to basics" that one is really good.

I hear you mention "mental checklist"... And pretty much any noob should be like. Mental checklist? what?
Also showing multitasking like that nony building worker in the middle of attack isnt really anything you show to a noob. It will only screw up their play.

Otherwise it's a really good initiative. We need moar of this ;D

Cpt.Nasty
Profile Joined June 2010
53 Posts
June 23 2010 07:45 GMT
#30
I think that could be a fair compromise. Since the picture is smaller, you've cut out the problem areas. It's also easier to see your facial features, so you don't appear mostly as beard/hair. I would say roll with it for now and see how you like it.
Trebis
Profile Joined March 2010
United States182 Posts
June 23 2010 08:01 GMT
#31
Haha, unfortunately for viewers, my body does consist mostly of beard/hair.
Are your friends all noobs? Send them to SC2 Noob School! www.youtube.com/sc2noobschool
Rodiel
Profile Joined August 2006
France573 Posts
June 23 2010 08:12 GMT
#32
This is for noob lol.

User was temp banned for this post.
papi
Profile Joined June 2010
Iceland10 Posts
June 23 2010 08:13 GMT
#33
This is cool. Good idea.
(–_–) don't matter!
infinitesquirrel
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden8 Posts
June 23 2010 08:16 GMT
#34
Nice video, my suggestion is to tilt you camera down a bit so you eliminate some of the 'whitespace' between the top of your head and the top edge of the viewing area. Your head should not be in the center of the picture, a nicer way of presenting a portrait is having your face in the top half. This makes the camera cover YOU a bit more instead of your background, which is essential to keep focus on you.

As others have said, the background is too light in comparison to your face, I would suggest to get a cheap lamp and direct it towards your face, to get it a little bit more lit. This isn't as much of a problem when you have it in the portrait area, but I reckon you will still move out to full screen from time to time, in which case these points are still valid.

Keep up the good work, greatness doesn't come over night, but good things can. Just look and compare Day9's first and last video and watch the evolution that has happened over 140 episodes. No need to be perfect from the get go.
TheGrimace
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States929 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-23 08:39:03
June 23 2010 08:37 GMT
#35
I watched your video, it was a good intro to important concepts. I'm always on the lookout for info to pass along to friends I want to introduce or improve in Starcraft, so every new source of information is good. Thanks for taking the initiative to make a video and pull some credible replays no less.

Sheets and PVC can make your backdrop. When I've made screens for haunting (Halloween, yeah, it's relevant) I've used table covers from dollar stores. They block light, they are large, and they cost one dollar. I don't know if you have similar venues for supplies in your area, but think about other materials that may work. Construction stores also sell screen material to place under flower beds and gardens to reduce weed growth. These materials block light fairly well and might help. But to be honest, the background was not very distracting. Just seeing the live video feed while a replay was running was the most distracting bit.

I know Day and others play on Low settings to keep the game easy to follow in high stress/clutter moments, but when casting he makes it a point to bump up his settings to increase the visual impact of his streams. I don't know if your computer/ISP can handle the settings, but if you can I would bump up at least to the medium settings. Being visually appealing is important when casting.

Great first cast, I'll be following to see what you do from here. Hopefully you'll be another great source to introduce people to the Starcraft community. Keep going!
Destro
Profile Joined September 2009
Netherlands1206 Posts
June 23 2010 08:40 GMT
#36
Hey man. I enjoyed it. Although most people here are beyond what you are teaching now, your videos could very very very popular at launch! Can't wait for more. I'll be sure to get my noobie friends to watch these

keep up the good work!
bring back weapon of choice for hots!
raph
Profile Joined May 2010
United States204 Posts
June 23 2010 09:41 GMT
#37
On June 23 2010 11:28 veK1g wrote:
cant believe people are complaining about your room; that was a cool video, keep up the work dude :D


go esea kevin
Ventez
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway107 Posts
June 23 2010 10:05 GMT
#38
You mentioned "mental checklist", but you didn't really explain spesifically whats in this checklist. You probably heard it on day9's daily, but some people probably don't watch his daily so they don't know whats in this mental checklist. Still really good job, you got good voice thats easy to listening to and everything is explained in an easy and understable way.
Trump
Profile Joined April 2010
United States350 Posts
June 23 2010 10:16 GMT
#39
This was well done. Excellent example on "oh noes 6 zerglings running towards me...ah-ha, I'm still building a probe!"

Being able to simply execute "very well" what you've covered with just your first video gets you to gold league I think so that's a lot of good stuff in under 10 minutes
Friendship is Magic! <3
Vincere
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States298 Posts
June 23 2010 11:30 GMT
#40
Very good first video. Nice even voice for instructional video and clear even, spaced out words. Looking forward to more of your videos
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
SHIN 226
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings108
CranKy Ducklings SOOP49
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko340
SHIN 226
ProTech134
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 39065
Shuttle 1967
Bisu 1771
Hyuk 1717
EffOrt 433
Larva 396
Soma 358
Mini 341
ZerO 243
firebathero 222
[ Show more ]
Last 174
Leta 89
hero 84
Hm[arnc] 76
Zeus 68
Pusan 55
Killer 49
Bale 45
Hyun 45
Sexy 43
Trap 42
ToSsGirL 30
PianO 28
Aegong 25
zelot 23
sorry 17
yabsab 12
JulyZerg 11
Noble 10
Sacsri 7
ajuk12(nOOB) 5
Icarus 4
Dota 2
Gorgc4061
qojqva1335
Dendi906
XcaliburYe362
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor646
crisheroes613
Other Games
gofns39327
singsing2453
B2W.Neo1130
Happy275
DeMusliM254
ToD149
Livibee127
Mew2King98
ArmadaUGS73
Liquid`VortiX33
ZerO(Twitch)16
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream144
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 75
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 9743
League of Legends
• Jankos1685
Other Games
• WagamamaTV219
Upcoming Events
FEL
3h 1m
AI Arena Tournament
4h 1m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6h 1m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
21h 1m
INu's Battles
23h 1m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
Replay Cast
1d 11h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 21h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.