• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:01
CEST 18:01
KST 01:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)74Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9275 users

The Ultimate Headphone/Audio Thread. Seriously - Page 27

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 25 26 27 28 29 47 Next All
PrOsperity
Profile Joined November 2010
United States10 Posts
June 12 2013 17:30 GMT
#521
Hi! I am looking into buying a headset or headphones and a mic, and am hoping to get some advice on what to get.

Uses:
While I play a lot of Starcraft, I'm more concerned with it being able to play music really well. I'd sacrifice some sound quality in starcraft for nice sounding music any day, since I listen to a ton of music. Also, I'd prefer that they be pretty sound-isolating since I live with 4 other guys in a dorm and when I'm studying and such it'd be nice to be able to isolate myself. With all of this being said, I know this might be a challenge, but I would also love it if they were not TOO large/bulky so that I could bring them with me if I needed to go study elsewhere, although this isn't a deal breaker.

My preferred budget would be to stay in the $100-150 range, although if there's absolutely nothing that would suit my goals in that range, I could move up to around $200, but that would probably be the highest I could go!

I really appreciate it!
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
June 12 2013 18:46 GMT
#522
On June 13 2013 02:30 PrOsperity wrote:
Hi! I am looking into buying a headset or headphones and a mic, and am hoping to get some advice on what to get.

Uses:
While I play a lot of Starcraft, I'm more concerned with it being able to play music really well. I'd sacrifice some sound quality in starcraft for nice sounding music any day, since I listen to a ton of music. Also, I'd prefer that they be pretty sound-isolating since I live with 4 other guys in a dorm and when I'm studying and such it'd be nice to be able to isolate myself. With all of this being said, I know this might be a challenge, but I would also love it if they were not TOO large/bulky so that I could bring them with me if I needed to go study elsewhere, although this isn't a deal breaker.

My preferred budget would be to stay in the $100-150 range, although if there's absolutely nothing that would suit my goals in that range, I could move up to around $200, but that would probably be the highest I could go!

I really appreciate it!


What kind of music are ou listening to?

In general, good, really closed headphones around $150 are the Audio-Technica M50, V-moda M80 / LP2, and Shure SRH840. There are a lot more recommendations, but those are generally good and can be found in a lot of places. Would be better if you specified exactly what kinds of music you like.

I don't think any headsets are actually portable but I guess those Steelseries ones are decent if you 100% want a headphone with a microphone attached, but I find that using my webcam or a clip-on microphone is fine.
There is no one like you in the universe.
JDI1
Profile Joined December 2010
United States69 Posts
June 13 2013 00:20 GMT
#523
On June 13 2013 02:30 PrOsperity wrote:
Hi! I am looking into buying a headset or headphones and a mic, and am hoping to get some advice on what to get.

Uses:
While I play a lot of Starcraft, I'm more concerned with it being able to play music really well. I'd sacrifice some sound quality in starcraft for nice sounding music any day, since I listen to a ton of music. Also, I'd prefer that they be pretty sound-isolating since I live with 4 other guys in a dorm and when I'm studying and such it'd be nice to be able to isolate myself. With all of this being said, I know this might be a challenge, but I would also love it if they were not TOO large/bulky so that I could bring them with me if I needed to go study elsewhere, although this isn't a deal breaker.

My preferred budget would be to stay in the $100-150 range, although if there's absolutely nothing that would suit my goals in that range, I could move up to around $200, but that would probably be the highest I could go!

I really appreciate it!


Audio Technica M50 or A900X depending on your preference. If you like bass go for the M50, if you like more balance and details A900X. Other than that the Ultrasones and Beyerdynamic in that price range are pretty good too. Get a USB desktop mic for 10-20 bucks or so, cheap and works just fine.
PrOsperity
Profile Joined November 2010
United States10 Posts
June 14 2013 15:47 GMT
#524
Thanks for the quick responses! I listen to quite a variety of music, everything from classical to rock to dubstep so I figured that wouldn't be very helpful! Thanks for the advice anyways though. I am totally cool with a clip on mic or a cheap USB mic. Any suggestions?
Ercster
Profile Joined August 2011
United States603 Posts
June 15 2013 02:25 GMT
#525
I'm looking for a headset to replace my A40's. Something with the same sound quality is fine with me. I'm still going to be using the mixamp. And I don't want to spend more than $100.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
JDI1
Profile Joined December 2010
United States69 Posts
June 17 2013 04:07 GMT
#526
On June 15 2013 00:47 PrOsperity wrote:
Thanks for the quick responses! I listen to quite a variety of music, everything from classical to rock to dubstep so I figured that wouldn't be very helpful! Thanks for the advice anyways though. I am totally cool with a clip on mic or a cheap USB mic. Any suggestions?


If you listen to classical then the A900X is a better choice, they don't do too bad with bassy music either. For a mic you can get something from Logitech or Audio Technica, I believe they have some cheap USB mics, I was looking for them at one point then decided to go for a really good mic.
Targe
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United Kingdom14103 Posts
June 18 2013 14:50 GMT
#527
I really need some headphones with a mic, my laptop fan means that I can't use it's inbuilt mic.

The Steelseries Siberia V2s are going half price at the moment on some version of them but I never trust online reviews, a search on TL just came up with lots of threads with people not knowing what was wrong with them (I'm not concerned with problems like that), so does anyone know if I should just get them?

These aren't for listening to music solely for gaming/skype purposes, I just went from ATH-ES7's to a pair of Grado SR-80i's and I know that the Siberia's won't compare audio wise.
11/5/14 CATACLYSM | The South West's worst Falco main
JDI1
Profile Joined December 2010
United States69 Posts
June 18 2013 16:42 GMT
#528
The Siberia is not bad, other than that the Kraken Pro is also on sale right now.
Targe
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United Kingdom14103 Posts
June 18 2013 18:37 GMT
#529
On June 19 2013 01:42 JDI1 wrote:
The Siberia is not bad, other than that the Kraken Pro is also on sale right now.

Razer Kraken Pro is going at 79 euros for me, which is a lot more than the 38 quid I can pick the Siberia's up for, plus I'm not sure if I want to go back to bright green headphones.
11/5/14 CATACLYSM | The South West's worst Falco main
ViperPL
Profile Joined March 2011
Poland1775 Posts
June 19 2013 18:57 GMT
#530
I'm looking to buy new headphones in the near future for pc gaming/music purposes. I narrowed my choice down to ATH-M50 and ATH-T300. The obvious difference is price (35€ for T300 vs 150€ for M50). I'd like advice if the quality is really worth the additional money? Cause I'd much rather buy the cheaper one, since I'm not after mind blowing audio quality, but at the same time I want good product that can get the job done very well.
A dota player and lol player walk into a bar. The dota player says: "lol sucks". Lol player couldn't deny. http://i.imgur.com/FpLeTf1.gif
Honeybadger
Profile Joined August 2010
United States821 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-19 22:43:55
June 19 2013 22:38 GMT
#531
On June 13 2013 02:30 PrOsperity wrote:
Hi! I am looking into buying a headset or headphones and a mic, and am hoping to get some advice on what to get.

Uses:
While I play a lot of Starcraft, I'm more concerned with it being able to play music really well. I'd sacrifice some sound quality in starcraft for nice sounding music any day, since I listen to a ton of music. Also, I'd prefer that they be pretty sound-isolating since I live with 4 other guys in a dorm and when I'm studying and such it'd be nice to be able to isolate myself. With all of this being said, I know this might be a challenge, but I would also love it if they were not TOO large/bulky so that I could bring them with me if I needed to go study elsewhere, although this isn't a deal breaker.

My preferred budget would be to stay in the $100-150 range, although if there's absolutely nothing that would suit my goals in that range, I could move up to around $200, but that would probably be the highest I could go!

I really appreciate it!


Bose AE2's sound precisely like what you want. right in your price range, noise cancelling, comfortable, and portable. Day9 has been rocking a pair for years

On June 20 2013 03:57 ViperPL wrote:
I'm looking to buy new headphones in the near future for pc gaming/music purposes. I narrowed my choice down to ATH-M50 and ATH-T300. The obvious difference is price (35€ for T300 vs 150€ for M50). I'd like advice if the quality is really worth the additional money? Cause I'd much rather buy the cheaper one, since I'm not after mind blowing audio quality, but at the same time I want good product that can get the job done very well.


I found a used pair of ATH-AD700's for your price range, and have been using 'em for a couple years now. Absolutely perfect headphones for me. IIRC JP mcdaniel uses them as well

As for IEM's, I'm going to be using klipsch image s4's until they stop making 'em. along with a cheap fiip amp and tx-100 ear pads, nothing beats the sound for the price.

As for "headset" focused people, just don't. I'll never let someone buy another headset for personal use. Logitech makes a fantastic voice recognition microphone for the desktop (which is also good because it works for rosetta stone) and many small clip style mics can be had for cheap that work great. When you buy a headset, you are not getting your money's worth, it's as simple as that. If you want a set of siberia's, you'd do much better with a pair of cheaper sennheisers that have a mic clipped to the cord.
"I like to tape my thumbs to my hands to see what it would be like to be a dinosaur."
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
June 20 2013 01:31 GMT
#532
On June 20 2013 07:38 Honeybadger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 13 2013 02:30 PrOsperity wrote:
Hi! I am looking into buying a headset or headphones and a mic, and am hoping to get some advice on what to get.

Uses:
While I play a lot of Starcraft, I'm more concerned with it being able to play music really well. I'd sacrifice some sound quality in starcraft for nice sounding music any day, since I listen to a ton of music. Also, I'd prefer that they be pretty sound-isolating since I live with 4 other guys in a dorm and when I'm studying and such it'd be nice to be able to isolate myself. With all of this being said, I know this might be a challenge, but I would also love it if they were not TOO large/bulky so that I could bring them with me if I needed to go study elsewhere, although this isn't a deal breaker.

My preferred budget would be to stay in the $100-150 range, although if there's absolutely nothing that would suit my goals in that range, I could move up to around $200, but that would probably be the highest I could go!

I really appreciate it!


Bose AE2's sound precisely like what you want. right in your price range, noise cancelling, comfortable, and portable. Day9 has been rocking a pair for years


The Bose AE2's aren't noise cancelling, but everything else is okay. They're decent sounding if you can get them for around $150.
There is no one like you in the universe.
Honeybadger
Profile Joined August 2010
United States821 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-20 05:29:56
June 20 2013 05:26 GMT
#533
*I meant noise isolating, sorry*

They're great sounding, and I'm not even a bose fan. But if you're after noise CANCELLING, you're really limited for options in that price range. Until you're in the 250+ range, you can have noise cancelling or good audio quality, and I can vouch that the AE2 is plenty good at noise isolation (wore a pair for about 20 minutes in a very busy, loud electronics store and was impressed at almost no noise bleed) so considering it fits all his criteria, what's not to like? Bose is one of those companies that markets itself like crazy but actually puts out a good product as well. I'll personally never buy a product they sell, but that's just because I never see myself in a situation where I'd need what they offer at the price they ask.

I use ATH-AD700's with a pyle audio amp and am plenty happy- though I only occasionally wear my headphones, because I have a very nice surround sound system.
"I like to tape my thumbs to my hands to see what it would be like to be a dinosaur."
iloveav
Profile Joined November 2008
Poland1484 Posts
June 24 2013 12:39 GMT
#534
For each price range there are different headphones id recommned, but most of the time, anyone can do it themsleves by cross-referenceing the following articles:

http://lifehacker.com/how-do-i-choose-the-best-noise-cancelling-headphones-511026873
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-5-23-2013-mrspeakers-mad-dog-v-3-2-reviewed
http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound
http://www.head-fi.org/a/2012-head-fi-holiday-gift-guide-over-ear

Thats in Headphones. Personally i went for the HE-400, an external DAC (Fiio E17) and a desktop amplifier (Schiit Asgard), and its been the best money spend on my home equipment since my 32 inch tv as monitor. Its like going from a 19 inch monitor to a 32 inch tv, another world.
aka LRM)Cats_Paw.
Frostfire
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States419 Posts
June 28 2013 00:33 GMT
#535
Any recommendation on headphones to replace my siberia v2's?

Pricepoint $120

pref mic and headphones
"In solitude, we are least alone"
JDI1
Profile Joined December 2010
United States69 Posts
June 28 2013 02:36 GMT
#536
^ Audio Technica AD700 + clip-on mic.
Mackem
Profile Joined May 2011
United Kingdom470 Posts
June 28 2013 02:44 GMT
#537
Need some help picking some headphones

My budget is up to £150 GBP (Great British Pounds), but I may stretch slightly more if it matters that much. I will be using them on my PC with a Xonar DG sound card but I would be willing to get a small amp depending on price. They will be used exclusively at home and don't want the sound to leak to the point that people can hear what I am listening to when they're sleeping. I'd prefer full-sized circumaural headphones due to the size of my head and ears. I'd say I prefer an emphasis on bass for EDM but not to the point that it completely destroys the other frequencies.

My past headphones include the M-Audio Q40 and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80s. I liked the sound of the Q40s but I had to sell them because the clamp on my jaw was too much, even after I stretched them out over a subwoofer for like 5 nights, leading to quite uncomfortable jaw fatigue. The DT770 Pro 80s sounded like the mids were a bit recessed and felt like they clamped a bit but this may have been down to the fact I did not have them for very long or amped them good enough?

My main music preferences are definitely EDM (Electronic Dance Music) but I do listen to some pop and rock as well. I am located in the United Kingdom if this matters with suggestions.

Comfort is also huge for me. I wear glasses and have quite a large head and as previously mentioned, the likes of the Q40s and DT770 Pro gave me jaw fatigue after 30 minutes or so as it seemed as though they sat too low on my head but then if I adjusted them a size down, they'd feel a bit tight around the top of the head. It seems impossible for me to find a pair that will suit which is why I am asking here.

I am essentially looking at getting a pair of headphones that can be worn for hours on end without being fatiguing / hurting (I'll obviously take them off for breaks and to go to the toilet and whatnot but you get the idea)

My ears are more long than anything (Ear lobes ever so slightly stuck out of the bottom of the DT770 Pros). Hard for me to find comfortable closed cans that sound good.

Any recommendations at all would be great.
Do you need a pole? I ask because your logical leaps are becoming logical vaults and your mental gymnastics are Olympic standard.
Deleted User 135096
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
3624 Posts
June 28 2013 12:01 GMT
#538
I'm really surprised you didn't like the 770s. I just got recently and I love them, and they are very comfortable (used the 880s for a while and the bass is a bit more present due to the closed construction). Have you looked into AKG (like the 270 mkii) or something like the ATH-M50?
Administrator
zelevin
Profile Joined January 2012
United States330 Posts
June 28 2013 17:58 GMT
#539
Hello, thread! I'm currently using the Cooler Master Sirus S here, and the problem with it is the weight. It hurts my neck after about an hour of use. I have considered getting a clip on mic and just wearing earbuds, but I already have trouble with my mic picking up my mechanical keyboard, and that's very annoying on Teamspeak3. My budget is about $60, so I'm hoping you all can help me find a solution.

I own some monoprice earbuds here, and they sound fantastic. Monoprice released some gaming headsets recently, and I wouldn't mind buying from Monoprice again. However, if you know better headsets for the price, please let me know! (Here are their gaming headsets Monoprice)
"You're the idiot, idiot. That's why your fuckin' name is Idiot." - Artosis to CSG
Mackem
Profile Joined May 2011
United Kingdom470 Posts
June 28 2013 19:28 GMT
#540
On June 28 2013 21:01 wo1fwood wrote:
I'm really surprised you didn't like the 770s. I just got recently and I love them, and they are very comfortable (used the 880s for a while and the bass is a bit more present due to the closed construction). Have you looked into AKG (like the 270 mkii) or something like the ATH-M50?


I didn't have them for very long so not sure if it's a case of breaking them in so to speak.
Do you need a pole? I ask because your logical leaps are becoming logical vaults and your mental gymnastics are Olympic standard.
Prev 1 25 26 27 28 29 47 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 59m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech148
UpATreeSC 76
TKL 29
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5161
Bisu 1995
Soulkey 1567
EffOrt 769
Mini 574
Horang2 379
Larva 344
ZerO 300
actioN 245
ggaemo 244
[ Show more ]
Dewaltoss 97
Mind 96
sorry 85
hero 77
Shinee 67
Sharp 65
Sea.KH 60
Barracks 58
Pusan 57
Snow 52
Hyun 42
Bale 30
Trap 26
ToSsGirL 23
Rock 18
Terrorterran 18
NaDa 17
Sacsri 13
scan(afreeca) 13
Noble 10
zelot 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5500
qojqva2463
Dendi1281
420jenkins290
League of Legends
Reynor77
Counter-Strike
fl0m3074
x6flipin1212
Fnx 687
edward39
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes365
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1272
hiko1024
B2W.Neo448
DeMusliM299
XBOCT236
Livibee231
Liquid`VortiX206
QueenE103
FrodaN69
Mew2King43
ZerO(Twitch)18
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV72
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 76
• mYiSmile128
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 37
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV616
League of Legends
• Nemesis3487
• TFBlade612
Other Games
• Shiphtur453
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 59m
Patches Events
23h 59m
The PondCast
1d 17h
INu's Battles
1d 18h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.