• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:33
CEST 01:33
KST 08:33
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202610Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7478 users

Has online-only competition during the pandemic changed yo…

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 All
SirKibbleX
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States479 Posts
July 02 2021 13:49 GMT
#41
You're asking a pretty biased sample, so that's first of all. But no, honestly it hasn't affected me at all. If anything being cooped up has made me appreciate eSports more and made me more willing to pay and travel to go to events. You better believe I'll be signing up for and traveling to any East Coast American Starcraft 2 tournaments that happen this year.

Dreamhack Atlanta? Anybody know of any others that are already scheduled?
Praemonitus, Praemunitus.
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19392 Posts
July 02 2021 15:42 GMT
#42
Covid hit SC2 for me the moment they gave up on Florida venues. Region lock (not arguing for or against it) and the loss of the MLG circuit was also another thing that felt like it diminished the additional enjoyment of a live audience. And add on to that, HomeStory Cup is one of the most loved and iconic SC2 tournaments and it has had (relatively)no audience. That said, I think the state of SC2 has stayed strong during covid for me.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
Captain Peabody
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3137 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-07-04 14:16:07
July 04 2021 14:13 GMT
#43
I think there advantages and disadvantages to both in-person and online events. It's a little problematic for *all* inter-regional competitions to be online due to issues with ping/time zones, but jet lag/visas/language/set-ups/etc create problems for in-person inter-regional tournaments as well, and arguably I think we've had the opposite problem at times with all inter-regional competition seeming take place in the weekend lan format. Ideally I think the scene functions best with a good mix of regional and inter-regional tournaments played both online and in-person, and coming out of the pandemic is a good opportunity to sort of rebalance things.

That all has more to do with conditions for players, though, not my experience as a viewer. Apart from GSL, which has been more or less the same, players casters and organizers have all done a really good job of keeping up a good rhythm of content, hyping up online events, and playing their hearts out at even at weird times and in non-ideal conditions. There's plenty to watch and the scene feels more alive and fervent and competitive than it has in years imo, which I think has more effect on viewer enjoyment than tournament conditions.
Dies Irae venit. youtube.com/SnobbinsFilms
_fool
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands685 Posts
July 08 2021 13:43 GMT
#44
I enjoy the casts just as much. But, with matches being played all through the week, sometimes I don't have a clue where in the tourney we are. I've watched group stage matches while thinking it was a semi, and I skipped "random" matches that later appeared to be the finals for a big tournament.

In fact, these days I use the Twitch viewer numbers to see if a match is important

So all in all, quality of casts and matches is perfect, but I miss the overview
"News is to the mind what sugar is to the body"
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-07-08 14:53:04
July 08 2021 14:52 GMT
#45
For latency reasons, I haven’t quite felt the big tournaments quite measure the best of the best on even ground, so they lose a little of their appeal for me.

For the audience atmosphere I feel this really is only a factor with big audiences, where a little of the audience sound is mixed into the broadcast. I feel that particular combo does add to my hype and investment, if it’s not an audience we can hear I don’t think it makes much difference, at least as a home viewer.

Homestory Cup is obviously a big, big loser if it’s held remotely given its unique selling point.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Mummy callin
Profile Joined July 2021
1 Post
July 13 2021 03:21 GMT
#46
I love free fire 🔥
Big-t
Profile Joined January 2011
Austria1351 Posts
July 15 2021 11:43 GMT
#47
I am fine with online events when the players are from the same region and can play with a good ping, since I enjoy high level army control which is simply not possible with 200 ms.
This is also the reason why I can totally understand players who don’t want to play with a webcam since it increases ping. As long as they turn it on for the interviews I am happy
All I want are two pros playing against it each other with the best possible conditions.
monchi | IdrA | Flash
Akio
Profile Blog Joined January 2019
Finland1838 Posts
July 16 2021 19:55 GMT
#48
I don't how much I can attribute my recent declining interest to SC2 esports to simply it being hosted online, but I think it is a factor. Obviously it's a hundred times better than having no tournaments whatsoever, but I'll admit it's kind of hard to maintain the same level of emotional investment when the weekly cups are almost indistinguishable from the most important tournaments of the year in terms of how they look and feel. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the hype it brings when the players enter their spaceship cockpit-esque booths to battle it out
Mine gas, build tanks.
StasisField
Profile Joined August 2013
United States1086 Posts
July 16 2021 19:57 GMT
#49
Honestly, I have no idea if online-only competition has a real effect on my viewing experience anymore. At the start, I was less interested but I have started watching more SC2 again as time has passed. It's been too long to really remember what offline events used to be like.

Also, every time I see this thread title I initially think it's talking about Has and I hate it lol
What do you mean Immortals can't shoot up?
SiegfriedSC
Profile Joined November 2019
9 Posts
July 18 2021 05:36 GMT
#50
I think it has exacerbated some of the existing issues in sc2 esports, a big one for me is that all the esl tournaments have a difficult time making a unique story for themselves. In this I mean that before online only, the location of the event was often the only thing differentiating some of the events, now with online only even that is gone and the story of each event is difficult to recall or care about.

While I will probably still watch the events because of the good sc2 action, I won't remember the majority of them because I haven't been given any reason to. I'd love to see a more cohesive narrative built around ESL's events, because right now I just don't really care if Reynor or Clem wins yet another tournament, why would another win be unique, or meaningful aside from the money?

muppet70
Profile Joined January 2017
Sweden72 Posts
July 20 2021 17:10 GMT
#51
I like it for two reasons.
a) It brought player cams, that was just main stage games offline.
b) less delay, offline tournaments can drag out because of logistics.

With that said, its ofc bad for ping reasons, no audience and such.
The time zone and playing at night/early morning can be bad but jet lag can be just as bad when travelling far to an offline event.
KT_Elwood
Profile Joined July 2015
Germany1200 Posts
July 31 2021 10:38 GMT
#52
Dropped out since Blitzchung incident made me not wanna touch the Bnet launcher for a while.
"First he eats our dogs, and then he taxes the penguins... Donald Trump truly is the Donald Trump of our generation. " -DPB
Ayub1
Profile Joined August 2021
1 Post
August 04 2021 21:56 GMT
#53
--- Nuked ---
WeddingEpisode
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States356 Posts
August 22 2021 09:35 GMT
#54
I imagine that playing time was kind of concentrated - due to Covid - and a result playstyles, at least I thought, were new and improved. Games got more interesting, yes.
Still diamond
ElMakac
Profile Joined February 2021
20 Posts
August 22 2021 11:05 GMT
#55
yes
benjaminharles
Profile Joined September 2026
2 Posts
September 17 2026 16:50 GMT
#56
--- Nuked ---
Prev 1 2 3 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
CranKy Ducklings48
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
davetesta25
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 138
ViBE135
ProTech129
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13971
Artosis 540
PianO 28
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
canceldota152
NeuroSwarm148
League of Legends
Doublelift4215
Counter-Strike
Fnx 1559
minikerr13
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe107
Other Games
summit1g6415
shahzam540
Day[9].tv487
C9.Mang0367
Maynarde77
Trikslyr48
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 46
• RyuSc2 27
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP26
• Response 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie979
• Shiphtur559
• Day9tv487
Upcoming Events
OSC
23h 28m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 10h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 17h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 19h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.