• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:08
CEST 22:08
KST 05:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9158 users

[Interview] Serral on mech, his IEM chances, Dark, & hats

Forum Index > SC2 General
74 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
TL.net ESPORTS
Profile Joined July 2011
4 Posts
February 19 2020 08:41 GMT
#1
[image loading]
Photo: Carlton Beener (via Blizzard)

While Finland's (Wiki)Serral has toppled the dreaded Koreans at major tournaments such as the WCS Global Finals and GSL vs. The World, the IEM Katowice trophy has remained out of his grasp. TL.net caught up with the Finnish Phenom ahead of IEM Katowice 2020 to see if he has what it takes to triumph this time around, but also to crack bad jokes about Dark, hats, and a variety of other topics.

*This interview has been edited and condensed.

Wax: What have you been up to since HomeStory Cup XX?

Serral: Well I took a break at the end of last year. Basically after HomeStory Cup, I took like two or three weeks off from StarCraft completely. Then, basically after Christmas I started practicing again.But I don't really play online cups anyway, just not really my thing, but I've been practicing lately, a good amount.

Congrats on the T-shirt! You finally have merch.

Well, it's not special merch yet, but maybe something nicer is gonna come later.



Did you help design the logo? Is it actually your signature?

Well, obviously the hat thing is something that I wanted to include, but no, I didn't design it completely myself. I brought a signature on paper, and they changed it a little bit so it's a bit nicer, they straightened up the curves and that kind of stuff.

Isn't it weird to release a shirt with a picture of a hat instead of releasing an actual hat?

Well, making a hat takes way longer, doesn't it?

I don't know?

It's way more complicated.

Have you made a hat?

No, I haven't.

Well, how do you know?

Because I'm an EXPERT on these things.

Are you going on all the hat Reddits and stuff? Looking up all the best hats and only wearing the finest ones?

No, my hats are under $10 each. They aren't the finest ones.

So you're not an expert, you're a hat commoner.

Well, are you saying you need to buy the most expensive hats to be a hat expert?

You don't have to wear them but you should know about a wide range of hats. You only know about the under $10 range of hats.

Okay, sure.

You said in your latest interview with ENCE that you don't see yourself stopping in the next three years, now that the ESL Pro Tour has been confirmed for that long. Do you still feel the same kind of motivation as before?

I mean, I'm pretty motivated still. Obviously, when I say im going to play for the next three years, it's basically always a bit of a hope since you never really know. I kind of want to go one year at a time and watch how it continues, but obviously that's the goal, that I would be able to play for the next three years. And right now, im pretty motivated to keep going at least.

You're doing fine mentally, but do you feel like you're slowing down physically?

Mmm, I can't say... ...I actually feel a BIT slower nowadays, but not really too much change, yet.

How's the state of the game? Balance-wise, or just in terms of how fun things are.

I don't really know what to say without any big tournaments going on yet, but I don't think too much changed honestly and everything's been pretty similar.

Just, mech's a bit broken, but that's about it. But at the same time, no one plays actually mech, so maybe... I mean, like every time I watch—I'm trying to watch Korean games, right? Because I'm playing against Koreans in [IEM Katowice]. And every time they play mech they win, but they never play mech [that much] at the same time. They so rarely play mech, but they never lose with mech. I don't know why they don't play mech—it makes absolutely zero sense to me. But they just don't play it. But every time they play it, they win, and it's not even close.

And this is exactly my... When I'm thinking about the theory through my head, I don't know how to beat mech. But I still beat it sometimes, and then I watch the replay, and then I see that the enemy made many mistakes, and that's why I won. It's kind of iffy, but it isn't really a problem.

So how does it feel being on the other end? Being the one that can't win when both sides reach end-game armies?

What do you mean? We never could win. We always relied on mistakes, that's Zerg's whole soul. Luckily other people make so many mistakes, or I never would have won anything.

You said you've been watching Korean games, but the top guys like Dark and Maru haven't been playing much at all. Normally you'd have Code S or some GSL to scout with by now. Does that make it harder going into IEM?

Well, it's the same for them as well. I haven't really shown anything, I've been completely [hidden] except for the IEM qualifier. Obviously it's a bit scary, but I don't think there's going to be anything completely unexpected coming out of them. I mean, I'm not really too scared of it, but obviously I need to be bit a bit careful in case there's something interesting coming out.

Solar said he always picked you to win tournaments last year, but said it would be tough for you this time around.

I mean winning's always tough, it's never easy.

Fifty-fifty as usual?

Maybe forty-five with this balance. Five percent because of mech, simply. Well, I mean, I don't even think mech's that broken, but I just wanted to say that I've never seen mech actually lose.

ZvP is pretty much the same, it's just that late game is a bit different. I mean, late game is in a better direction, but it's still kind of similar, honestly. Just no mass Infestors—the mid-game, early game is pretty much the same.

Let's go back to some stuff from BlizzCon. Did you feel particularly bad about the loss to Reynor in the semis, or was it easier to take since you knew it's pretty even between you two?

I mean, I don't think back on it too much anymore, but obviously im a bit sad about that loss. Well, last year I lost actually at the three biggest tournaments, WESG, IEM Katowice and BlizzCon. Yeah, I kind of always lost a bit in a dumb way. Actually the Reynor one was probably the smartest. Like, not the dumbest lost from [those three]. The INnoVation loss in WESG was super dumb, the soO loss was also kind of wasn't really supposed to happen, in my opinion.

Those things... I mean, I still think about them a bit, but I don't really care about them too much anymore, since it's already gone.

Interesting! From a fan point of view, everyone was looking at the Reynor loss as a big throw.

Well, I think it was obviously a slight throw... ...Actually that specific game, the last game: When he was taking his fifth base, at that point I had my Ultras out, and when I was pushing there, I had five Ultras behind my natural wall, stuck behind an evo chamber. And I think I would have actually won the game if the evo chamber wall hadn't been there.

That happened to Jaedong once, but he won the game. Uhhh, nevermind.

I still think... I didn't really throw against soO, obviously he was just kind of playing better that day. But against INnoVation, the last game was kind of dumb, I should have won that easily, I think.

I thought it was interesting that after Dark won, he said in interviews that he was disappointed he didn't get to face you.

Mmm, what do you want me to say? *laughs*

Well, for him, it seems like it's not just about winning the title...

Naaaah.

...but proving that he can beat you, since he never beat you...

At IEM Katowice he beat me 3-0.

...in 2017, before you...

I mean, I don't think it matters too much to him honestly. I mean, it wouldn't matter too much to me, at least. But I don't know if it matters to him, honestly, who he beats in the finals.

You're living rent free in his head, you don't think so?

Well I'm not sure what that exactly means.

That you're always on his mind, that you have a kind of psychological edge.

Like I said, I'm not sure if he's thinking about me that much. That's just his interview move, his special move.

It's all for fun, for show?

Well, not for fun, but you just need to be confident in interviews and say 'I would have wanted to beat him in the finals', that's how it has to be.

Who's good these days? Who's gotten better ahead of IEM Katowice?

I mean it's the standard people who have the best hopes, but from the improving guys, Clem has been improving the most for sure. And I think he has a pretty good shot, but at the same time, tournaments are always about other things than just being good.

Like what other things?

Well, not dying to dumb stuff. I think that's what the Europeans lose to most of the time. They kind of just fall apart, and die to the dumbest of things in tournament play.

So it's not just about being good—it's not being bad.

Yeah, sure.

Any final comments or shoutouts?

Well, shoutouts to all the fans. Let's make a nice a nice IEM Katowice and have a fun time there.

Also, come to my meet-and-greet at Assembly Winter this Saturday. I'll be there at 2:00 PM Finnish local time.

Take a picture with Serral, shake his hand, ask him for Zerg tips. Maybe he'll actually give you advice!

I mean, I always give advice to people.

Isn't it usually just "don't die?"

That's pretty good advice, isn't it?



You can follow Serral and Ence on Twitter at @ENCE_Serral and ENCE.
Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33705 Posts
February 19 2020 08:42 GMT
#2
I'll leave it to you guys to figure out where the [clearly joking][/clearly joking] tags belong
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
pvsnp
Profile Joined January 2017
7676 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-02-19 09:03:16
February 19 2020 09:00 GMT
#3
Serral the hat pleb

I mean it's the standard people who have the best hopes, but from the improving guys, Clem has been improving the most for sure. And I think he has a pretty good shot, but at the same time, tournaments are always about other things than just being good.


Nice to see Clem getting some attention.

Well, not dying to dumb stuff. I think that's what the Europeans lose to most of the time. They kind of just fall apart, and die to the dumbest of things in tournament play.


FeelsEuropeMan
Denominator of the Universe
TL+ Member
Andi_Goldberger
Profile Joined July 2018
Germany1608 Posts
February 19 2020 09:02 GMT
#4
gotta love serral being cheeky. fighting
~~~~~
derkopf
Profile Joined July 2004
Germany90 Posts
February 19 2020 09:02 GMT
#5
Excellent interview had many big smiles.
Gina
Profile Joined July 2019
241 Posts
February 19 2020 09:07 GMT
#6
What a nice interview Wax, you did a really nice job! (did you have to get him drunk first though? :smirk
Just looking at the Ence one you linked - no comparison, that one is boring no end and yours so fun.
Omit needles swords.
dbRic1203
Profile Joined July 2019
Germany2655 Posts
February 19 2020 09:09 GMT
#7
On February 19 2020 18:00 pvsnp wrote:

Show nested quote +
Well, not dying to dumb stuff. I think that's what the Europeans lose to most of the time. They kind of just fall apart, and die to the dumbest of things in tournament play.


FeelsEuropeMan


Yeah, as long as they keep their nerves together a lot of Europeans have a decnt shot for actually Qualifying for the Main Event.. But I allready see some of them derping out to inferior plays :/
MaxPax
Geo.Rion
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
7377 Posts
February 19 2020 09:11 GMT
#8
Very fun and wholesome interview.
Clem is getting so much hype lately, he will either be a beast or whimper out anticlimactically
"Protoss is a joke" Liquid`Jinro Okt.1. 2011
Shuffleblade
Profile Joined February 2012
Sweden1903 Posts
February 19 2020 09:16 GMT
#9
Funniest Serral interview by far =P Nice to see Clem mentioned and fun to read how Serral thinks zerg could never win late game unless protoss or terran makes mistakes… Its how I feel in TvZ even though I never get to late game, I lose unless zerg overdrones x_x

I hope we get some more interviews, seeing as we haven't had so many tournaments its actually really valuable to hear what the pros are thinking going into IEM. They should know how the others players on the same server is doing at least, like I saw Mana is on top of GM after Serral on EU. Does that indicate something?
Maru, Bomber, TY, Dear, Classic, DeParture and Rogue!
Poopi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France13022 Posts
February 19 2020 09:18 GMT
#10
On February 19 2020 18:11 Geo.Rion wrote:
Very fun and wholesome interview.
Clem is getting so much hype lately, he will either be a beast or whimper out anticlimactically

Well it's gonna be a nightmare to get ouf of the qualifiers already, so he's got to be super tired for group stage if he manages to get there. Luckily he is young but still

Nice interview always nice to hear from Serral. No mention of Nation Wars though, that took place after HSC and he was there playing starcraft!
WriterMaru
HsDLTitich
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Italy831 Posts
February 19 2020 09:18 GMT
#11
On February 19 2020 17:42 Waxangel wrote:
I'll leave it to you guys to figure out where the [clearly joking][/clearly joking] tags belong


I don't know Kev, all that hat stuff seems serious business to me
I used to organize tournaments for ESL Italy and referee Go4SC2s, WCSs, and IEMs for ESL SC2.
yht9657
Profile Joined December 2016
1810 Posts
February 19 2020 09:46 GMT
#12
Damn just by reading this I could tell interviewing Finnish people is not the kind of job I would ever want to do.
Harris1st
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany7420 Posts
February 19 2020 10:12 GMT
#13
Rofl! The "hat" part

Also Terran OP confirmed
Go Serral! GG EZ for Ence. Flashbang dance FTW
HolydaKing
Profile Joined February 2010
21254 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-02-19 10:24:55
February 19 2020 10:24 GMT
#14
Lol, great interview! Serral doesn't seem very confident against mech terrans, apparently. Or is he just trying to fool his opponents?
BonitiilloO
Profile Joined June 2013
Dominican Republic627 Posts
February 19 2020 10:39 GMT
#15
what he actually means with mech is broken? i'm confused here.
How may help u?
Harris1st
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany7420 Posts
February 19 2020 10:59 GMT
#16
On February 19 2020 19:39 BonitiilloO wrote:
what he actually means with mech is broken? i'm confused here.


He means Mech is really powerful vs Zerg when executed right
Go Serral! GG EZ for Ence. Flashbang dance FTW
Shuffleblade
Profile Joined February 2012
Sweden1903 Posts
February 19 2020 11:12 GMT
#17
On February 19 2020 19:39 BonitiilloO wrote:
what he actually means with mech is broken? i'm confused here.

Well I think the main thing you should take away is this

How's the state of the game? Balance-wise, or just in terms of how fun things are.

I don't really know what to say without any big tournaments going on yet, but I don't think too much changed honestly and everything's been pretty similar.


Serrals initial answer to the question of the state of the game is that it is pretty much the same. Then he says mech seems strong, he mostly talks about watching korean matches and how terrans never seem to lose with mech against korean zergs. Serral also says he thinks it is hard to win against it but that zerg Always have had to rely on the opponent to make mistakes to win.

It could be mech is a bit too strong but we honestly don't know yet, Serral says its broken but also says the state of the game is the same.... So yeah the way I interpret it Serral doesn't seem decided on if it is a problem or not yet, he uses the word broken lightly here
Maru, Bomber, TY, Dear, Classic, DeParture and Rogue!
insitelol
Profile Joined August 2012
845 Posts
February 19 2020 11:29 GMT
#18
Mech's op. Been saying it for ages. Retarded playstyle that should not have been viable. Ever.
Less is more.
Weavel
Profile Joined January 2010
Finland9224 Posts
February 19 2020 11:39 GMT
#19
Really fun interview. Now I really want to see what happens in Katowice.
Life/Seed//Mvp/NaNiwa fighting! ZeNEX forever!
Akio
Profile Blog Joined January 2019
Finland1838 Posts
February 19 2020 12:05 GMT
#20
Gonna have to write that advice down, not dying is something everyone can learn from

Stoked for IEM 2020, the first big offline tourney of the year is bound to have interesting stuff build- and strategy-wise
Mine gas, build tanks.
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O95
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason173
BRAT_OK 56
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15434
Artosis 759
ZZZero.O 95
Mind 75
Hyun 39
NaDa 25
Bale 23
Dota 2
qojqva2693
420jenkins556
League of Legends
Doublelift2540
JimRising 68
Counter-Strike
Fnx 602
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6120
Khaldor1216
Liquid`Hasu1054
Other Games
summit1g6416
FrodaN2278
B2W.Neo773
byalli331
ToD208
Railgan38
KnowMe6
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1319
BasetradeTV259
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream40
StarCraft 2
angryscii 35
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 42
• Adnapsc2 38
• Reevou 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• Hupsaiya 0
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki19
• FirePhoenix11
• FT.aCt)Sony2
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie726
• Shiphtur250
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
2h 52m
Afreeca Starleague
13h 52m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
14h 52m
Monday Night Weeklies
19h 52m
Replay Cast
1d 2h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 13h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 14h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.