• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:55
CEST 11:55
KST 18:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10624 users

Activision-Blizzard acquires MLG - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
130 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
neptunusfisk
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
2286 Posts
January 01 2016 06:12 GMT
#41
On January 01 2016 11:22 deth2munkies wrote:
Let's be real, MLG went all in on CoD and failed. ESL got CoD World Championships and that was the nail in the coffin. Honestly, I skipped an MLG that was within 4 hours of me for the first time this year because I just didn't care enough to go. I didn't care about SF5, didn't care about CoD, didn't care about Halo, and only somewhat cared about Smash Bros. Riot pulling LoL, Halo losing its audience, SC2 losing most of its audience, and losing CoD to ESL, it's hard to think why MLG was even still in it. The CSGO shift was too little, too late.

That said, I always took them existing for granted and they were a recognizable brand. It's sad to see them go.



Four hours is close in the usa?
maru G5L pls
Dismay
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1180 Posts
January 01 2016 06:13 GMT
#42
If this is talking about most of their assets, that means ActiBlizz bought MLG's streaming platform too, right? I remember Richard Lewis mentioning that they were in the market to have their own streaming service on Unfiltered a while back. Maybe I'm misremembering.
In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
TheWinks
Profile Joined July 2011
United States572 Posts
January 01 2016 06:15 GMT
#43
On January 01 2016 15:12 neptunusfisk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 01 2016 11:22 deth2munkies wrote:
Let's be real, MLG went all in on CoD and failed. ESL got CoD World Championships and that was the nail in the coffin. Honestly, I skipped an MLG that was within 4 hours of me for the first time this year because I just didn't care enough to go. I didn't care about SF5, didn't care about CoD, didn't care about Halo, and only somewhat cared about Smash Bros. Riot pulling LoL, Halo losing its audience, SC2 losing most of its audience, and losing CoD to ESL, it's hard to think why MLG was even still in it. The CSGO shift was too little, too late.

That said, I always took them existing for granted and they were a recognizable brand. It's sad to see them go.



Four hours is close in the usa?

Four hours of driving at mostly freeway speeds (65-80 mph), yeah.
jmbthirteen
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States10734 Posts
January 01 2016 06:39 GMT
#44
On January 01 2016 14:33 20-Minute-Jackal wrote:
Blizard didn't buy MLG, they bought their assets. MLG is basically gutted, I don't think they can run a tournament at this point, so no, we still won't be seeing SC2 at an MLG. SC2 will be at whatever Blizzard intends with the MLG assets.

Blizzard didn't buy MLG. Activision bought MLG. This was CoD based imo. Sespo and Puckett going to Activision a few months back shows it
www.superbeerbrothers.com
20-Minute-Jackal
Profile Joined May 2015
United States336 Posts
January 01 2016 06:46 GMT
#45
On January 01 2016 15:39 jmbthirteen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 01 2016 14:33 20-Minute-Jackal wrote:
Blizard didn't buy MLG, they bought their assets. MLG is basically gutted, I don't think they can run a tournament at this point, so no, we still won't be seeing SC2 at an MLG. SC2 will be at whatever Blizzard intends with the MLG assets.

Blizzard didn't buy MLG. Activision bought MLG. This was CoD based imo. Sespo and Puckett going to Activision a few months back shows it

Nobody bought MLG, at all. MLG is still its own entity. What was sold was MLG's assets, not the entire corporation and name rights.
Noonius
Profile Joined April 2012
Estonia17413 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-01-01 06:49:04
January 01 2016 06:48 GMT
#46
more competition is always good in the streaming world
Terran forever | Maru hater forever
lestye
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4243 Posts
January 01 2016 06:52 GMT
#47
On January 01 2016 14:33 20-Minute-Jackal wrote:
Blizard didn't buy MLG, they bought their assets. MLG is basically gutted, I don't think they can run a tournament at this point, so no, we still won't be seeing SC2 at an MLG. SC2 will be at whatever Blizzard intends with the MLG assets.

Appparently they're running the 2016 CS:GO Major.

Anyway, I wonder what the deal of MLG is. Like ESL and and Dreamhack are constantly expanding, doing crazy shit, and MLG seemed like it was taking the backseat. I heard they had an MLG Brazil and and arena opening up in China, but ultimately went everywhere.

It felt like there was a year or two where they had a shell of their wonderful circuit system.

Anyway, this is probably all Activision proper. They've basically subsidize MLG's entire business the last few years, this is probably them cutting out the middle man. It'd be nice to flex to see more money and events for the Blizzard games I like.

Ultimately it comes down to what this new Esports Division for Activision Blizzard wants to do, ESL has some exclusivity with COD so I wonder what's gonna happen.
"You guys are just edgelords. Embrace your inner weeb desu" -Zergneedsfood
TL+ Member
digmouse
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
China6331 Posts
January 01 2016 07:06 GMT
#48
They did not buy MLG as a company, they bought MLG assets, the original MLG company still exists, albeit that doesn't mean anything any more.
TranslatorIf you want to ask anything about Chinese esports, send me a PM or follow me @nerddigmouse.
Integra
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Sweden5626 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-01-01 07:56:11
January 01 2016 07:52 GMT
#49
From what I can tell MLG is basically selling parts of itself in order to make some money before they decide to close shop permanently. I really thougth MLG was doing better.

This obviously is Activision, and not Blizzard, wanting to get hold of MLG's technology. It's cheap as hell money wise, for Activision at least, remember that they bought another company for 5 billion earlier this year... 46 million is like a waterdrop in the sea.

I give MLG another half a year before they vanish completely.

EDIT: I don't think for a second that this is done because Activision Blizzard are making some kind of "push" or investment into tournament streaming online, if they did they would invest more than 46 million...

"Dark Pleasure" | | I survived the Locust war of May 3, 2014
Cricketer12
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States14003 Posts
January 01 2016 07:54 GMT
#50
Stopped caring about MLG in 2012, doubt it will get better with this though
Engage, Zero target Engage, Engage, Kagari target Engage, Engage.
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
January 01 2016 08:03 GMT
#51
Glad I went to the Last MLG in Anaheim :\ Such a fun experience, but basically a last hurray.
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
LongShot27
Profile Joined May 2013
United States2084 Posts
January 01 2016 08:06 GMT
#52
I legitimately didn't think MLG still existed. I was surprised
If all men were created equal there would be no reason to declare it.
y0su
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Finland7871 Posts
January 01 2016 08:17 GMT
#53
On January 01 2016 17:06 LongShot27 wrote:
I legitimately didn't think MLG still existed. I was surprised

same... a bit surprised about what their assets were worth too!
HolydaKing
Profile Joined February 2010
21254 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-01-01 08:48:37
January 01 2016 08:45 GMT
#54
On January 01 2016 16:54 Cricketer12 wrote:
Stopped caring about MLG in 2012, doubt it will get better with this though

Same... and to some people saying ESL isn't doing well, I wonder if they have some proof. I thought it looked like ESL was getting bigger and bigger last year. I also don't watch their big viewership hits (CS:GO and I think also LoL), though. And if you only watch SC2 like me, then I can imagine you'd think they're not doing so well, but looking at their other games' tournaments it's looking great for them I thought.
LongShot27
Profile Joined May 2013
United States2084 Posts
January 01 2016 09:05 GMT
#55
On January 01 2016 17:45 HolydaKing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 01 2016 16:54 Cricketer12 wrote:
Stopped caring about MLG in 2012, doubt it will get better with this though

Same... and to some people saying ESL isn't doing well, I wonder if they have some proof. I thought it looked like ESL was getting bigger and bigger last year. I also don't watch their big viewership hits (CS:GO and I think also LoL), though. And if you only watch SC2 like me, then I can imagine you'd think they're not doing so well, but looking at their other games' tournaments it's looking great for them I thought.


E-sports in general are not doing as well as people had hoped. I wouldn't say they are doing poorly in any way. But people really predicted an explosion this decade that really hasn't materialized yet.
If all men were created equal there would be no reason to declare it.
TheWinks
Profile Joined July 2011
United States572 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-01-01 09:18:40
January 01 2016 09:17 GMT
#56
On January 01 2016 16:06 digmouse wrote:
They did not buy MLG as a company, they bought MLG assets, the original MLG company still exists, albeit that doesn't mean anything any more.

The original MLG company is being renamed to 'MLG Legacy Holdings' as per the agreement. It's possible they sold the branding too. Without more details we can't really understand what's going on. MLG had two bigger events planned, a CS:GO major and the American quals for the Halo World Championship.
beheamoth
Profile Joined December 2015
44 Posts
January 01 2016 09:27 GMT
#57
with 3 really competitive games like sc, hots and overwach and a possible *new game like a wc4 over the next 3 years having a blizz championship could be realistically on the cards, lets face it, aquiring everything mlg had is a markdown at best and im sure blizz and activision can re purpose whatever dit is theu bought . . . .what do mlg have exactly apart froma name?
Topdoller
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom3860 Posts
January 01 2016 09:59 GMT
#58
Never been impressed by MLG, they dump games on the drop of a hat rather than try to build up the franchise.

I still cant see what Blizzard is trying to achieve with the purchase, unless its to umbrella Overwatch and Heathstone.
Starcraft 2 is almost dead in the USA player wise, so i cant see any quality tournaments happening for SC2 scene
y0su
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Finland7871 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-01-01 10:26:14
January 01 2016 10:22 GMT
#59
On January 01 2016 18:59 Topdoller wrote:
Never been impressed by MLG, they dump games on the drop of a hat rather than try to build up the franchise.

I still cant see what Blizzard is trying to achieve with the purchase, unless its to umbrella Overwatch and Heathstone.
Starcraft 2 is almost dead in the USA player wise, so i cant see any quality tournaments happening for SC2 scene



A. assets. They didn't buy "MLG". They purchased assets. I don't know what all that entails but they do have had offices in NYC and an arena in Columbus OH. I'd venture the plan is to use the assets to produce esports content.

B. it was an activision-blizzard purchase. This could very well be more for Activision. Or.. Blizzard wants to run Blizzcon twice a year with one event closer to the east coast.
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19386 Posts
January 01 2016 10:28 GMT
#60
On January 01 2016 18:05 LongShot27 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 01 2016 17:45 HolydaKing wrote:
On January 01 2016 16:54 Cricketer12 wrote:
Stopped caring about MLG in 2012, doubt it will get better with this though

Same... and to some people saying ESL isn't doing well, I wonder if they have some proof. I thought it looked like ESL was getting bigger and bigger last year. I also don't watch their big viewership hits (CS:GO and I think also LoL), though. And if you only watch SC2 like me, then I can imagine you'd think they're not doing so well, but looking at their other games' tournaments it's looking great for them I thought.


E-sports in general are not doing as well as people had hoped. I wouldn't say they are doing poorly in any way. But people really predicted an explosion this decade that really hasn't materialized yet.

I feel like that statement is extremely naive. You should do research and get informed with the many successes Esports has had this decade. Here's a starting point, multiple games earning spots on ESPN is a pretty big deal.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 214
Lowko31
ProTech20
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 1767
Larva 974
Horang2 729
BeSt 639
Hyuk 456
soO 403
EffOrt 340
ZerO 250
Zeus 183
Stork 81
[ Show more ]
Rush 79
Light 64
Killer 64
Shinee 63
Mind 33
ToSsGirL 29
Mong 27
Bale 22
Sacsri 18
Terrorterran 17
PianO 17
HiyA 9
Dota 2
XaKoH 693
XcaliburYe302
Counter-Strike
byalli926
Other Games
singsing1484
olofmeister1340
ceh9668
crisheroes220
Livibee181
ArmadaUGS55
Mew2King51
ZerO(Twitch)5
Sick0
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH330
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2296
League of Legends
• Jankos1835
• Stunt373
Other Games
• WagamamaTV102
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
6m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
1h 6m
Monday Night Weeklies
6h 6m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 14h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.