• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:34
CEST 04:34
KST 11:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9011 users

Proleague Korean online viewers triple - Page 9

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 Next All
Wingblade
Profile Joined April 2012
United States1806 Posts
February 15 2014 05:13 GMT
#161
On February 15 2014 04:45 dabom88 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2014 20:34 opterown wrote:
On February 14 2014 20:19 dabom88 wrote:
This is what happens when your stuff is free. Growth is possible. I've been watching Proleague all season long, and have had very little reason or desire to watch GSL. When the SC2 audience was shrinking, it astounds me that GSL chose to go back to their restrictive paywall.

well you're not exactly adding to their live viewer counts anyway with that sig of yours.

1. My sig is about the paywall, nothing to do with Live Viewership.
2. And ultimately, restrictive business practices like that shouldn't be rewarded with higher viewer counts anyway. I'll gladly encourage people in areas where GSL is on in the middle of the night with no restreams to not buy into such restrictive business practices. Instead, I'll encourage people to watch tournaments where you don't have to be up in the middle of the night to watch, and support them by watching with Adblock turned off. I've even made posts detailing how to add ESportsTV to Youtube Whitelists because that's how much I want to support GOOD, pro-consumer and pro-viewership growth business practices.

Show nested quote +
On February 14 2014 20:52 KrazyTrumpet wrote:
On February 14 2014 20:19 dabom88 wrote:
This is what happens when your stuff is free. Growth is possible. I've been watching Proleague all season long, and have had very little reason or desire to watch GSL. When the SC2 audience was shrinking, it astounds me that GSL chose to go back to their restrictive paywall.

Most hilarious sig I think I've ever seen on this forum.

Truth in humor.


The goal of a business, ANY business is to make money. Saying things like this is contrary to their primary goal and just doesn't make sense. Demanding that everything be free and "easy" for the consumer is great until you realize it's actually harder to accomplish their CHIEF goal and keep them in business. Great, all the VODs and everything is free, so why watch live? Just get by on ads(maybe) and make everything free because that's "fair".
PartinG fanboy to the max, Rain/Squirtle/Dear/Scarlett/Bbyong are cool too. I don't always watch Dota2 but when I do I have no clue what's going on. GOGO POWER RANGERS
liberate71
Profile Joined October 2011
Australia10252 Posts
February 15 2014 05:30 GMT
#162
The irony that the Soulkey v Reality game drew the most viewers.
Minelord Stimfestor, also known as karma.
9-BiT
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
United States1089 Posts
February 15 2014 05:34 GMT
#163
On February 15 2014 07:21 Plansix wrote:
I guess we shouldn't talk about pbs and the bbc.

Don't try and convince him.
kwark_uk: @father_sc learn to play maybe?
Yorkie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States12612 Posts
February 15 2014 06:10 GMT
#164
Starcraft 2:

Dead [ ]
Not Dead [X]

On a serious note this is some pretty awesome news. it's refreshing to hear something nice for a change. Hopefully the excitement grows in Korea about SC2
Hwang Kang Hooooooooooo. Follow mah boy Shellshock @Shellshock1122
dabom88
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States3483 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-15 10:00:28
February 15 2014 06:51 GMT
#165
On February 15 2014 14:13 Wingblade wrote:
Great, all the VODs and everything is free, so why watch live?

Live broadcast is at 2AM, and I can't watch it in any shape or form without having to giving them money, thereby giving approval to such terrible business practices? No thanks, I'll watch competitive Starcraft somewhere else that's not on at 2AM, and support the alternatives the best I can, and encourage others to do the same until GSL either changes or goes under.

I supported GOM when they realized that a restream at a reasonable time was a good idea. I supported GOM when they had free VODs. Now that they have neither, I no longer support them, and will continue to encourage others to do likewise.
You should not have to pay to watch the GSL, Proleague, or OSL at a reasonable time. That is not "fine" and it's BS to say otherwise. My sig since 2011. http://www.youtube.com/user/dabom88
kamkerx
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States264 Posts
February 15 2014 07:06 GMT
#166
On February 15 2014 15:51 dabom88 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2014 14:13 Wingblade wrote:
Great, all the VODs and everything is free, so why watch live?

Live broadcast is at 2AM, and I can't watch it in any shape or form without having to giving you money, giving approval to such terrible business practices? No thanks, I'll watch competitive Starcraft somewhere else that's not on at 2AM, and support the alternatives the best I can, and encourage others to do the same until GSL either changes or goes under.

I supported GOM when they realized that a restream at a reasonable time was a good idea. I supported GOM when they had free VODs. Now that they have neither, I no longer support them, and will continue to encourage others to do likewise.

You're dumb.

User was temp banned for this post.
Kon-Tiki
Profile Joined February 2011
United States402 Posts
February 15 2014 07:28 GMT
#167
I gotta be honest. I tuned in to Reality vs Soulkey because I couldn't sleep and Twitter exploded over it. I watched the last 45 minutes or so (real time) with my jaw in my lap because I couldn't even. I doubt I'm the only one, and that probably contributed to the peak viewership at about that time
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
Elroi
Profile Joined August 2009
Sweden5617 Posts
February 15 2014 07:42 GMT
#168
On February 15 2014 05:14 Plansix wrote:
No, people who think everything should be free are funny. Saying you don't want to pay is fine, claiming that it's wrong that they charge at all is just dumb.

We had that for 10 years before this game came around.
"To all eSports fans, I want to be remembered as a progamer who can make something out of nothing, and someone who always does his best. I think that is the right way of living, and I'm always doing my best to follow that." - Jaedong. /watch?v=jfghAzJqAp0
bokchoi
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Korea (South)9498 Posts
February 15 2014 07:46 GMT
#169
Doesn't mention cable numbers since proleague isn't broadcasted on TV anymore. I'd be more interested in knowing if the overall viewer count went up. With only one consolidated source of broadcast (online) the online viewership should've increased. If it didn't that'd be worrisome..
ACrow
Profile Joined October 2011
Germany6583 Posts
February 15 2014 07:57 GMT
#170
On February 15 2014 16:42 Elroi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2014 05:14 Plansix wrote:
No, people who think everything should be free are funny. Saying you don't want to pay is fine, claiming that it's wrong that they charge at all is just dumb.

We had that for 10 years before this game came around.

There was no foreign BW viewership to speak off, no foreign sponsors, no nothing. You want to go back to that?
Get off my lawn, young punks
insitelol
Profile Joined August 2012
845 Posts
February 15 2014 07:58 GMT
#171
I've noticed that Nexon arena was almost full every time i watched SPL. But what makes me sad is the fact that SC2 is still struggling in terms of popularity (overall) according to gamenote.com.
Less is more.
opterown *
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia54784 Posts
February 15 2014 08:35 GMT
#172
On February 15 2014 15:51 dabom88 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2014 14:13 Wingblade wrote:
Great, all the VODs and everything is free, so why watch live?

Live broadcast is at 2AM, and I can't watch it in any shape or form without having to giving you money, giving approval to such terrible business practices? No thanks, I'll watch competitive Starcraft somewhere else that's not on at 2AM, and support the alternatives the best I can, and encourage others to do the same until GSL either changes or goes under.

I supported GOM when they realized that a restream at a reasonable time was a good idea. I supported GOM when they had free VODs. Now that they have neither, I no longer support them, and will continue to encourage others to do likewise.

such entitlement
ModeratorRetired LR Bonjwa
TL+ Member
superpanda27
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
111 Posts
February 15 2014 08:50 GMT
#173
On February 15 2014 02:03 ChoiSulli wrote:
time to rain in on the parade but did it triple from one viewer to three?? Unless they release the figures the fact it tripled dosent mean much. In fact it probably means the numbers were really shit... cause tripling from 100k to 300k would be difficult in just one season, from 10k to 30k not so much. So it really would be nice to know what it tripled from.

I will give props to pro league for the production and the turnaround time between sets but no matter how good that is the games are still boring as fuck...watching Flashes first game of the season against that protoss still makes me want to burn every copy of SC2 ever sold... I will return now to my BW corner.


Yes please return to your corner, no need to rain on good news. It gives hope that this may not be the last season of Proleague for SC2, if they were able to triple numbers from last season.

SC2 can use good news like this without someone having to bring it down. I mean yeah numbers would be nice, but the fact that viewers tripled is still nice. If it was from 10k to 30k online, that's still pretty awesome considering time zones and all. Not Dota2 or LoL numbers, but people shouldn't be expecting those numbers.
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12888 Posts
February 15 2014 08:57 GMT
#174
On February 15 2014 16:46 bokchoi wrote:
Doesn't mention cable numbers since proleague isn't broadcasted on TV anymore. I'd be more interested in knowing if the overall viewer count went up. With only one consolidated source of broadcast (online) the online viewership should've increased. If it didn't that'd be worrisome..

On February 15 2014 14:09 SoleSteeler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2014 09:23 Anomarad wrote:
Tripling your online viewers isn't surprising. When they switched from regular TV to IPTV, it was a huge downgrade for publicity in the first place. As a result of the switch they lost a lot of viewers as SPOTV is a fairly unpopular broadcast channel compared to TV. Now that they've put more work into their SPOTV promotion and more people know that's where SC2 is they increased their viewership over time.

The problem is that this viewership is still worlds below what they had when they were on regular TV (ongamenet). They lost the masses.


Errr SPOTV is on regular TV, I can assure you, from someone who lives in Korea...


who to trust @ @
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
bokchoi
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Korea (South)9498 Posts
February 15 2014 09:11 GMT
#175
On February 15 2014 17:57 ETisME wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2014 16:46 bokchoi wrote:
Doesn't mention cable numbers since proleague isn't broadcasted on TV anymore. I'd be more interested in knowing if the overall viewer count went up. With only one consolidated source of broadcast (online) the online viewership should've increased. If it didn't that'd be worrisome..

Show nested quote +
On February 15 2014 14:09 SoleSteeler wrote:
On February 15 2014 09:23 Anomarad wrote:
Tripling your online viewers isn't surprising. When they switched from regular TV to IPTV, it was a huge downgrade for publicity in the first place. As a result of the switch they lost a lot of viewers as SPOTV is a fairly unpopular broadcast channel compared to TV. Now that they've put more work into their SPOTV promotion and more people know that's where SC2 is they increased their viewership over time.

The problem is that this viewership is still worlds below what they had when they were on regular TV (ongamenet). They lost the masses.


Errr SPOTV is on regular TV, I can assure you, from someone who lives in Korea...


who to trust @ @


I was wrong. SPOTV Games (which is the broadcaster of proleague) is a cable channel, but it is only provided by 2 cable providers. I don't get SPOTV Games with mine so I assumed it was a online-only broadcast. My mistake, but my point still kind of stands. Not widely available whereas everyone has a good stable internet connection so online broadcast would probably the main source of viewership.
Elroi
Profile Joined August 2009
Sweden5617 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-15 09:52:19
February 15 2014 09:50 GMT
#176
nvm
"To all eSports fans, I want to be remembered as a progamer who can make something out of nothing, and someone who always does his best. I think that is the right way of living, and I'm always doing my best to follow that." - Jaedong. /watch?v=jfghAzJqAp0
bo1b
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
Australia12814 Posts
February 15 2014 10:19 GMT
#177
On February 15 2014 17:35 opterown wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2014 15:51 dabom88 wrote:
On February 15 2014 14:13 Wingblade wrote:
Great, all the VODs and everything is free, so why watch live?

Live broadcast is at 2AM, and I can't watch it in any shape or form without having to giving you money, giving approval to such terrible business practices? No thanks, I'll watch competitive Starcraft somewhere else that's not on at 2AM, and support the alternatives the best I can, and encourage others to do the same until GSL either changes or goes under.

I supported GOM when they realized that a restream at a reasonable time was a good idea. I supported GOM when they had free VODs. Now that they have neither, I no longer support them, and will continue to encourage others to do likewise.

such entitlement

This is even more entitlement then some posters from europe lol
Ensue
Profile Joined March 2013
United States144 Posts
February 15 2014 17:46 GMT
#178
I was under the impression that Proleague got more viewers since it's at a 'reasonable' time to watch now for everyone. Nicer for EU, a stretch for us in the Americas (I live near NYC) but hey, I wake up at 5:45AM daily so I can catch some of it on my way to work. It's better than the alternative of last year where it would begin around 11PM and I'd finally go to sleep at 5:30AM on Friday 'nights' and Saturday 'nights'.

I mean I can't be the only one who woke up at 5:05AM for a few days straight when they had Code A (JANGBI!) and Code S (TAEJAAAAAA) and of course, dat Group of Death (Life, Parting, Flash, and Innovation) in WCS Season 1 Korea :D

Plus, we've got (more) teams for people who haven't followed Proleague in BW such as IM, MVP, and Prime. Now we're also getting Startale?! Just waiting for Curious to bring it!
“Toast cannot be explained by any rational means. Toast is me. I am toast.” —Margaret Atwood, Oryx and Crake
opterown *
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia54784 Posts
February 15 2014 17:48 GMT
#179
the triple viewers is korean viewers, although foreign viewers have gone up too
ModeratorRetired LR Bonjwa
TL+ Member
Ammanas
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Slovakia2166 Posts
February 15 2014 18:14 GMT
#180
On February 15 2014 18:11 bokchoi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2014 17:57 ETisME wrote:
On February 15 2014 16:46 bokchoi wrote:
Doesn't mention cable numbers since proleague isn't broadcasted on TV anymore. I'd be more interested in knowing if the overall viewer count went up. With only one consolidated source of broadcast (online) the online viewership should've increased. If it didn't that'd be worrisome..

On February 15 2014 14:09 SoleSteeler wrote:
On February 15 2014 09:23 Anomarad wrote:
Tripling your online viewers isn't surprising. When they switched from regular TV to IPTV, it was a huge downgrade for publicity in the first place. As a result of the switch they lost a lot of viewers as SPOTV is a fairly unpopular broadcast channel compared to TV. Now that they've put more work into their SPOTV promotion and more people know that's where SC2 is they increased their viewership over time.

The problem is that this viewership is still worlds below what they had when they were on regular TV (ongamenet). They lost the masses.


Errr SPOTV is on regular TV, I can assure you, from someone who lives in Korea...


who to trust @ @


I was wrong. SPOTV Games (which is the broadcaster of proleague) is a cable channel, but it is only provided by 2 cable providers. I don't get SPOTV Games with mine so I assumed it was a online-only broadcast. My mistake, but my point still kind of stands. Not widely available whereas everyone has a good stable internet connection so online broadcast would probably the main source of viewership.

Is there a difference between 'cable' channel and IPTV in Korea? Cause SpoTV Games is IPTV.
JangBi forever <3 || Classic! herO! Rain! Zest! | Rogue! Hydra! Solar! | Fantasy! Cure! Reality! Sorry! Journey!
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings104
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta30
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 246
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10726
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1149
NeuroSwarm193
febbydoto27
League of Legends
Doublelift5033
JimRising 694
Counter-Strike
taco 141
minikerr52
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox927
Mew2King37
Other Games
summit1g10043
Maynarde219
ArmadaUGS61
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick416
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 9
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 212
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo551
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 26m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
8h 26m
Monday Night Weeklies
13h 26m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.