• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:39
CEST 15:39
KST 22:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War85.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202620Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11778 users

Esports contributor: Azuwho? - Page 7

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 28 Next All
HowdySC2
Profile Joined March 2013
United States15 Posts
April 04 2013 04:01 GMT
#121
I got a strong suspicion that bitcoins are involved in this whole mess one way or another.
Based fOrGG
holy_war
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States3590 Posts
April 04 2013 04:17 GMT
#122
On April 04 2013 12:59 Doodsmack wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2013 12:49 Brasi wrote:
On April 04 2013 09:47 fire_brand wrote:
Sounds almost like it's a front for money laundering, doesn't it?


That doesn't make sense, money laundering is concealing the source of the funds, not giving it away.

For instance, I take $1m of illegitimate money and create bogus invoices for say, ad revenue on my website , that money goes to my website company's retained earnings which I distribute to myself and use to buy a piece of commercial real estate free and clear, then I do a cash-out refinance of the real estate and presto i have clean money.

thats just one degree of layering, so simple example, but anyone looking into why you have the money can see that it came from equity in real estate assets that you hold, and that you purchased with earnings of a business you own.

In this case, they are dumping the money into league and team sponsorships, I don't see how that sounds like a front for money laundering, you'll have to explain that one.


Conspiracy bro. The moon landing was a hoax.


I highly doubt a group of rich guys will just throw $5+ million into ESPORTS just as a passion. What do they potentially benefit from it? Since they have no true business front directly attached, it does make you question who they are and their intentions.
mtn
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
729 Posts
April 04 2013 04:19 GMT
#123
On April 04 2013 13:17 holy_war wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2013 12:59 Doodsmack wrote:
On April 04 2013 12:49 Brasi wrote:
On April 04 2013 09:47 fire_brand wrote:
Sounds almost like it's a front for money laundering, doesn't it?


That doesn't make sense, money laundering is concealing the source of the funds, not giving it away.

For instance, I take $1m of illegitimate money and create bogus invoices for say, ad revenue on my website , that money goes to my website company's retained earnings which I distribute to myself and use to buy a piece of commercial real estate free and clear, then I do a cash-out refinance of the real estate and presto i have clean money.

thats just one degree of layering, so simple example, but anyone looking into why you have the money can see that it came from equity in real estate assets that you hold, and that you purchased with earnings of a business you own.

In this case, they are dumping the money into league and team sponsorships, I don't see how that sounds like a front for money laundering, you'll have to explain that one.


Conspiracy bro. The moon landing was a hoax.


I highly doubt a group of rich guys will just throw $5+ million into ESPORTS just as a passion. What do they potentially benefit from it? Since they have no true business front directly attached, it does make you question who they are and their intentions.


Yeah... And these people already have such a bad history... man idk but it smells bad from miles away xS
FXOBoSs
Profile Joined August 2011
337 Posts
April 04 2013 04:32 GMT
#124
I was watching Azubu for quite a while when I was directly involved in E-sports investment. Azubu is NOT a money laundering front. I don't see how what they are doing would be considered washing money at all. If they went around buying hotels in cash and property in weird places, then I would probably accuse them of that. But at the moment they just seem to be trying to enter a market to which they don't particularly know how to enter.

What they are actually doing? I would be surprised if anyone knows. They could be creating nukes for all we know. They are there, but they are not transparent as an organisation, and I dare say the people who are involved don't really care where the money comes from or whats behind the money. Either way, it will all eventually unfold, perhaps they will come out with a new game, or something amazing. Or they will go the way of sixjax etc. Its impossible to gauge without some transparency, which at the moment there is none.

Azubu.tv looks terrible and doesn't look like it will succeed without a major adjustment and some incentive for streamers. Their overall traffic is seriously poor compared to competition (twitch etc).

I would also be curious to know what affiliations the Azubu organisation has, to who or which company.

It could be selling porn on the internet for all we know. Gretech streams adult content according to wikipedia, so it could just be the same thing long term. A gretech like organisation which is legit and makes money and supports esports.
www.twitter.com/gosutrading
felisconcolori
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States6169 Posts
April 04 2013 04:49 GMT
#125
On April 04 2013 13:32 FXOBoSs wrote:
I was watching Azubu for quite a while when I was directly involved in E-sports investment. Azubu is NOT a money laundering front. I don't see how what they are doing would be considered washing money at all. If they went around buying hotels in cash and property in weird places, then I would probably accuse them of that. But at the moment they just seem to be trying to enter a market to which they don't particularly know how to enter.

What they are actually doing? I would be surprised if anyone knows. They could be creating nukes for all we know. They are there, but they are not transparent as an organisation, and I dare say the people who are involved don't really care where the money comes from or whats behind the money. Either way, it will all eventually unfold, perhaps they will come out with a new game, or something amazing. Or they will go the way of sixjax etc. Its impossible to gauge without some transparency, which at the moment there is none.

Azubu.tv looks terrible and doesn't look like it will succeed without a major adjustment and some incentive for streamers. Their overall traffic is seriously poor compared to competition (twitch etc).

I would also be curious to know what affiliations the Azubu organisation has, to who or which company.

It could be selling porn on the internet for all we know. Gretech streams adult content according to wikipedia, so it could just be the same thing long term. A gretech like organisation which is legit and makes money and supports esports.


As always, a very wonderful knowledge bomb. Thanks, boss.

There are probably still ways for there to be money laundering involved, although I don't think that's the case. There may be some shady goings on, but actual illegal actions probably not. I was hovering around the "massive tax write-off somewhere" line of thought or maybe "so, these guys are like the old Quantic?"

Money coming into eSports is wonderful, but the industry as a whole has gotten burned from time to time by big flashy entrances and crushing crashes caused by exits, so it's something that fans might be interested in learning more about as time goes on.
Yes, I email sponsors... to thank them. Don't post drunk, kids. My king, what has become of you?
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
April 04 2013 05:08 GMT
#126
On April 04 2013 13:32 FXOBoSs wrote:
I was watching Azubu for quite a while when I was directly involved in E-sports investment. Azubu is NOT a money laundering front. I don't see how what they are doing would be considered washing money at all. If they went around buying hotels in cash and property in weird places, then I would probably accuse them of that. But at the moment they just seem to be trying to enter a market to which they don't particularly know how to enter.

What they are actually doing? I would be surprised if anyone knows. They could be creating nukes for all we know. They are there, but they are not transparent as an organisation, and I dare say the people who are involved don't really care where the money comes from or whats behind the money. Either way, it will all eventually unfold, perhaps they will come out with a new game, or something amazing. Or they will go the way of sixjax etc. Its impossible to gauge without some transparency, which at the moment there is none.

Azubu.tv looks terrible and doesn't look like it will succeed without a major adjustment and some incentive for streamers. Their overall traffic is seriously poor compared to competition (twitch etc).

I would also be curious to know what affiliations the Azubu organisation has, to who or which company.

It could be selling porn on the internet for all we know. Gretech streams adult content according to wikipedia, so it could just be the same thing long term. A gretech like organisation which is legit and makes money and supports esports.

I'm mostly curious what the e-currency project is supposed to be.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
holy_war
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States3590 Posts
April 04 2013 05:09 GMT
#127
On April 04 2013 14:08 Jibba wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2013 13:32 FXOBoSs wrote:
I was watching Azubu for quite a while when I was directly involved in E-sports investment. Azubu is NOT a money laundering front. I don't see how what they are doing would be considered washing money at all. If they went around buying hotels in cash and property in weird places, then I would probably accuse them of that. But at the moment they just seem to be trying to enter a market to which they don't particularly know how to enter.

What they are actually doing? I would be surprised if anyone knows. They could be creating nukes for all we know. They are there, but they are not transparent as an organisation, and I dare say the people who are involved don't really care where the money comes from or whats behind the money. Either way, it will all eventually unfold, perhaps they will come out with a new game, or something amazing. Or they will go the way of sixjax etc. Its impossible to gauge without some transparency, which at the moment there is none.

Azubu.tv looks terrible and doesn't look like it will succeed without a major adjustment and some incentive for streamers. Their overall traffic is seriously poor compared to competition (twitch etc).

I would also be curious to know what affiliations the Azubu organisation has, to who or which company.

It could be selling porn on the internet for all we know. Gretech streams adult content according to wikipedia, so it could just be the same thing long term. A gretech like organisation which is legit and makes money and supports esports.

I'm mostly curious what the e-currency project is supposed to be.


Bitcoin-esque?
TiTanIum_
Profile Joined August 2011
Brazil1335 Posts
April 04 2013 06:41 GMT
#128
If this was a scientific article, this would be its first sentence:

I ask this because, well I love companies spending insane amounts on Esports, but I am frightened if they pull out due to sloppy management, excessive activities and leave Teams without funding, and tournaments without a prizepool. Its not bad Azubu is here, but it could be bad when they pull out. So I’m wondering, if the money doesn’t come through azubu.tv, how long till they pull out?
MysteryMeat1
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States3292 Posts
April 04 2013 06:50 GMT
#129
On April 04 2013 15:41 TiTanIum_ wrote:
If this was a scientific article, this would be its first sentence:

Show nested quote +
I ask this because, well I love companies spending insane amounts on Esports, but I am frightened if they pull out due to sloppy management, excessive activities and leave Teams without funding, and tournaments without a prizepool. Its not bad Azubu is here, but it could be bad when they pull out. So I’m wondering, if the money doesn’t come through azubu.tv, how long till they pull out?



Pulling out doesn't work because the boulberethra secretes semen with the thingie in order to neutralize the urine....
"Cause ya know, Style before victory." -The greatest mafia player alive
blackone
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany1314 Posts
April 04 2013 08:19 GMT
#130
On April 04 2013 07:39 1Dhalism wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2013 07:35 blackone wrote:
On April 04 2013 07:32 gosublade wrote:
On April 04 2013 07:25 AnomalySC2 wrote:
On April 04 2013 07:24 gosublade wrote:
"hurr durr, i dont understand, therefore money laundry durr"


Have any insight into what exactly they do?


no, thats why I don't offer any.

So you know exactly as much as anyone else, you just decided to be a dick about it? Or is there anything else you're trying to say?

opposing slander is being a dick?

No, posting a half sentence and two "hurr durr"'s as an answer to a well-researched and thought out post is being a dick.
igay
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Australia1178 Posts
April 04 2013 08:28 GMT
#131
boss team nowdays
MVP <3 MKP <3 DRG <3
Passion
Profile Joined December 2003
Netherlands1486 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-04 08:59:23
April 04 2013 08:58 GMT
#132
On April 04 2013 17:19 blackone wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2013 07:39 1Dhalism wrote:
On April 04 2013 07:35 blackone wrote:
On April 04 2013 07:32 gosublade wrote:
On April 04 2013 07:25 AnomalySC2 wrote:
On April 04 2013 07:24 gosublade wrote:
"hurr durr, i dont understand, therefore money laundry durr"


Have any insight into what exactly they do?


no, thats why I don't offer any.

So you know exactly as much as anyone else, you just decided to be a dick about it? Or is there anything else you're trying to say?

opposing slander is being a dick?

No, posting a half sentence and two "hurr durr"'s as an answer to a well-researched and thought out post is being a dick.

I'd rather consider posting a 5 page "article" while being clueless as being a dick. (Edit: yes, I disagree with "well-researched")

Anyway, they're don't seem very transparent, but that's not illegal, is it. It seems kinda clear they're still in the process of setting something up. Money laundry seems a bit of a silly accusation as they currently have near to no income and are only making investments.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
April 04 2013 09:46 GMT
#133
The Azubu thing is SO going to end terribly.

I feel so bad for the players on their team :/
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
Proseat
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Germany5113 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-04 12:27:56
April 04 2013 12:26 GMT
#134
Ah, things are getting dug up again. *seeshisnameinop*

Subsidiary AZUBU Interactive GmbH based in Berlin is involved in the creation of a lot of community websites and games for German TV networks (i.e. Pro Sieben, sevengames etc.). Maybe that is quite profitable for them, who knows.
The Rise and Fall of SlayerS -- a timeline: http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?id=378097
AnomalySC2
Profile Joined August 2012
United States2073 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-04 14:09:23
April 04 2013 14:04 GMT
#135
On April 04 2013 18:46 Teoita wrote:
The Azubu thing is SO going to end terribly.

I feel so bad for the players on their team :/


If you look at their sc2 lineup you will notice it consists of all old timer gsl 1ish vets that ultimately fell out of the scene. It's more than a little odd that Azubu picked up all these players, especially when you consider the mystery that surrounds the organisation in general. Very generous of them, to say the least.
Ctone23
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States1841 Posts
April 04 2013 14:10 GMT
#136
I think people are relating the business world to SC2 a bit too much here. It's not like in real life a company needs to mine X amount of minerals to buy something. Things like credit, private equity investment, trust funding, etc. are all possible scenarios here.

It is not that difficult to put together an economic program that shows potential profit for e-sports. Just because a company does not disclose all financial information in no way associates the company with illegal behavior.
TL+ Member
Crownlol
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3726 Posts
April 04 2013 15:23 GMT
#137
This is the weirdest thing I've seen in eSports since that Saudi just randomly bought and dissolved CALeague in the middle of a season.

Imagine if everyone showed up for GSL Ro8 one night, and everything was just gone. No warning, nothing, just everything gone. That's how it was with CAL.
shaGuar :: elemeNt :: XeqtR :: naikon :: method
AnomalySC2
Profile Joined August 2012
United States2073 Posts
April 04 2013 15:43 GMT
#138
On April 05 2013 00:23 Crownlol wrote:
This is the weirdest thing I've seen in eSports since that Saudi just randomly bought and dissolved CALeague in the middle of a season.

Imagine if everyone showed up for GSL Ro8 one night, and everything was just gone. No warning, nothing, just everything gone. That's how it was with CAL.


heh, so that's what happened to CAL. I always wondered what happened to that league.
Serelitz
Profile Joined April 2011
Netherlands2895 Posts
April 04 2013 16:25 GMT
#139
On April 04 2013 23:04 AnomalySC2 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2013 18:46 Teoita wrote:
The Azubu thing is SO going to end terribly.

I feel so bad for the players on their team :/


If you look at their sc2 lineup you will notice it consists of all old timer gsl 1ish vets that ultimately fell out of the scene. It's more than a little odd that Azubu picked up all these players, especially when you consider the mystery that surrounds the organisation in general. Very generous of them, to say the least.


They probably don't have a proper talent scout to pick up unknowns/b-teamers with potential that aren't on a team already. Lots of things shady about abuzucom but that isn't one of them.
Loxley
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Netherlands2480 Posts
April 04 2013 17:40 GMT
#140
  • Some things guys; I never claimed it to be scientific, just merely an afternoon where I indulged my curioustiy and wrote it in a topic.
  • I've haven't used the words shady or money laundering, fraude etc in the topic. I was just wondering Who Azubu is and what they do.
  • As I stated in the OP; if anyone could say what they are and how they earn money; the topic would have served its function.

Apparently no one can point me to their business model, their revenue, or what company exactly is backing them up. Enough stuff for question marks, but nowhere is it claimed that it automatically is shady.

I don't want to defend making a topic that just started by curiousity: there are enough posts questioning what Azubu is on TL and reddit. I merely wanted to expand on it. Its a topic on a forum, where users can give insight, facts, burn the OP down, or save it. All that matters in the end, is that the topic at hand is being discussed.

People replying to the OP reign over its duration, and the mods if they think it has run its course. Only one other thing can end this topic in a heartbeat; a reply from an Azubu spokesperson giving us all some insight in their goals and how to they expect to get there without losing their investors in the process.

Just treat it as your future son. If he claims he wants to be the biggest real-estate broker in the country, and suddenly started buying landpieces all around in this market.. Why not be curious as how he got his startup money and when he expects to break even. It would be logical to worry, even though you wish him the best.
월요 날 재미있
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 28 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 21m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
LamboSC2 371
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 36489
Calm 7614
Bisu 1963
Rain 1757
Jaedong 1107
FanTaSy 741
Horang2 702
BeSt 543
Larva 383
Rush 345
[ Show more ]
Soma 321
Light 309
Stork 279
Snow 192
Zeus 177
ZerO 177
Barracks 140
Free 119
910 97
Mind 97
Killer 80
Mong 67
Sea.KH 48
Shinee 46
Hyun 46
Pusan 44
ToSsGirL 41
NaDa 34
Aegong 25
Terrorterran 24
Hm[arnc] 17
Sexy 17
sorry 15
Rock 11
Sacsri 9
Noble 8
Icarus 3
Dota 2
Gorgc7303
XaKoH 352
Counter-Strike
fl0m2990
olofmeister862
Other Games
gofns32125
singsing2252
B2W.Neo836
Lowko359
hiko349
crisheroes310
Mlord240
Hui .144
Livibee112
RotterdaM99
djWHEAT84
Mew2King75
QueenE29
ZerO(Twitch)12
Trikslyr10
DeMusliM7
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix12
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis4057
• Jankos2594
• TFBlade708
Upcoming Events
OSC
9h 21m
Big Brain Bouts
20h 21m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 3h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 5h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 20h
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.