• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:26
CEST 19:26
KST 02:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9491 users

[Interview] Up/Downs Group A 2013 GSL Season 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37117 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-04 07:52:34
March 04 2013 04:52 GMT
#1
(T)MarineKingPrime

[image loading]

Source: This Is Game

Tell us how you feel about making it to Code S.

I am most happy about the fact that I get to start off the first HotS GSL from Code S and I am also happy that I was able to become one of the players in a small group of thirty two players. I am so proud of the fact that I was able to secure three straight victories for my final WoL GSL performance.

How did you prepare for your group?

I was really worried because I barely got to practice WoL but I wasn’t really all that worried since I had three Protoss opponents and Stephano. Mainly because I had confidence in my TvP.

So does that mean you were going to stick to the basics for your game against Stephano?

In my most recent head to head against Stephano, I lost. But I knew that he doesn’t change up his style of play so I figured I would be able to win as long as I dissected why I lost. It was also doable since it was a bo1.

Your style today was mostly hellion/bio and not the usual mech strategies that you usually do.

I’ve recently fallen into a losing streak with my mech build orders. I think I’ve reverted to my old ways where I can’t win with mech anymore (laughs). Ironically, my practice win ratio for mech was higher than my bio win ratio. My bio win ratio was somewhere around 50%. The build order I used today for TvP was specifically designed for Icarus because of the gold minerals. It was a play style that I had used quite often for Hots. So I transferred it over to WoL and I think it worked out well.

You’ve made it to Code S nine seasons in a row. The NesTea award is right in front of you.

Every time I fall down to Code A or the Up/Downs, luck always seems to follow me. Because of that, I think my chances of getting to Code S for next season is also pretty high. It’s going to be a real honor to receive the NesTea award since not a lot of players have earned it yet.

There is a saying that recipients of the NesTea award always fall down to Code B afterwards. What about you?

The originator of the NesTea award, NesTea hyung, and Mvp hyung are both really solid and consistent players so it is appalling that they fell victim to that jinx. But I still have a sense of pride that I won’t fall down to Code B. Because of that, I am going to be doing even more than my best.

Code S and MLG Winter Championships will both be HotS. Are the preparations coming along well?

Because patches keep coming out little by little I think it’s going to be important that I quickly adapt to the game. I think Terran has gotten so much better for HotS than WoL. I’m having much more fun practicing because the race has become more comfortable.

What do you think will hinder you from securing a spot for Code S for next season?

I have skills for the game somewhat so I think I can make a good result but there’s also KeSPA players and everyone is starting over from scratch so I can’t help but feel like the players who couldn’t make any results in WoL will all of a sudden step it up for HotS. I am most afraid about losing to players in HotS that I could always beat in WoL.

Anything else you would like to say?

There was no one on our team who had secured a Code S spot and so we had four players waiting in line to get there. I was able to luckily advance through first but everyone else that’s still behind me are doing really well in HotS. I really hope to start in Code S along with everyone else for next season. I wish YongHwa the best of luck at IEM since he had to give up his Up/Downs spot for it. I want to thank our sponsors Tt eSports and OCZ. Tt eSports developed a Prime keyboard. I tried it out and I think it’s a good keyboard. I hope a lot of people will take interest in it and use it.

(Z)EG.Stephano_RC

[image loading]

Source: This Is Game

You secured your Code S spot by advancing out of your group as second. How do you feel?

I am really happy. I didn’t prepare a lot for today’s games because I figured they were going to be easy but the games were more difficult than I had anticipated.

How did you prepare for your group?

I was very pleased with my group because I had three Protosses and one Terran and I didn’t have to play any ZvZs, my weakest match up. My ZvP skills are not what they used to be but it is still the match up that I was the most confident in so I figured that my group was fine.

How was your condition even though your games were scheduled for this morning?

I went to sleep early yesterday cause I knew that my games were scheduled for this morning so my condition was good.

It felt like you weren’t able to perform your best for game one.

I knew that MarineKing was a player who liked to use aggressive strategies. I knew that he likes to go for either a very economic build order or an aggressive all in so I prepared myself for the all in. I tried to attack him before he could pull it off but MarineKing went for an economic build order so I fell in game one.

The Korean commentators stated that you created defensive spine crawlers cause you were anticipating a four gate. Is this correct?

When I scouted him I saw the amount of stalkers he had and I also made sure with my overseer. I noticed that he kept on hindering me from scouting him so I played safely since I was anticipating some kind of four gate all in to come at me.

You had a really back and forth game for game six. When did you know that you had won?

I knew I had won when I took control of his archons with neural parasite and I killed his immortals with them. I also had two spires made so I already had upgrades for brood lords. My opponent went for an all in build so I knew that he wouldn’t be able to have any economic freedom even if he had gone for a quick transition because it was really difficult for Protosses to secure a fifth base on that map.

How are preparations for HotS coming along?

Honestly, I haven’t played a lot of HotS. Since I’m in the last group for IEM and IEM is commencing as HotS, I just plan on studying all the other groups matches ahead of me so I can understand the concept of the game. I am confident in myself because I am good at seeing other players’ talents or strategies and understand that I can do better than them. I think that I can make even better results when I take those strategies I observe and improve them.

What are your future plans?

I plan on attending IEM this week and then I plan on attending MLG after taking a short break at home after IEM. I also plan to attend the HotS launch party that’s being hosted at Blizzard Europe on the 12th.

Anything else you would like to say?

I want to thank the coaching staff and my teammates for taking care of me while I was at the team house. It wasn’t the happiest time of my life but I do appreciate all the care they gave me (laughs). I want to thank the fans who tuned in for the Up/Downs today and for cheering me on. Lastly, I want to thank our sponsors Raid Call, Monster, Hyper X, Razer, Astro, and Intel.

Interview by Khaldor
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
partydude89
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
1850 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-04 04:56:28
March 04 2013 04:55 GMT
#2
i think everyone predicted these 2 to make it out, and I'm really happy they did.
#1 Official Hack Fan|#2 Bomber behind Wintex.|Curious|Life|Flash|TY|Cure|Maru|sOs|Jin Air Green Wings fighting!|SBENU Fighting!|
Shellshock
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States97277 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-04 04:57:15
March 04 2013 04:56 GMT
#3
That marine marauder hellion medivac a little HoTS style sans hellbats, MKP? haha MarineKing talking about an opponent being predictable not changing up their style xD Proud of him for scouting today in 1 game
Moderatorhttp://i.imgur.com/U4xwqmD.png
TL+ Member
opterown *
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia54784 Posts
March 04 2013 04:58 GMT
#4
yay mkp!
ModeratorRetired LR Bonjwa
TL+ Member
Confuse
Profile Joined October 2009
2238 Posts
March 04 2013 05:00 GMT
#5
does stephano's interview need to be "translated"? just curious how these things work, haha
If we fear what we do not understand, then why is ignorance bliss?
Shellshock
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States97277 Posts
March 04 2013 05:01 GMT
#6
On March 04 2013 14:00 Confuse wrote:
does stephano's interview need to be "translated"? just curious how these things work, haha

it'll be translated into Korean when they do the interview and then Seeker will retranslate it back to English as far as I know
Moderatorhttp://i.imgur.com/U4xwqmD.png
TL+ Member
BPLOL
Profile Joined February 2012
United States55 Posts
March 04 2013 06:21 GMT
#7
yayyyyy MKP!! :D
★JD★MKP★DRG★BP★FIGHTING★
igay
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Australia1178 Posts
March 04 2013 06:31 GMT
#8
he's so happy XD
MVP <3 MKP <3 DRG <3
sorashira
Profile Joined July 2012
4 Posts
March 04 2013 06:31 GMT
#9
stephano is pretty amazing..

everyone challenged and questioned whether he had the ability to go to code-s, and in his first try (i think this is his first), he does it.

cool guy -- really hope he stays with the scene for a long time instead of moving on relatively soon like he said he would on his interviews.
Conut
Profile Joined April 2012
Canada1026 Posts
March 04 2013 06:32 GMT
#10
love mkp
Sc2 always got your back
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
March 04 2013 06:33 GMT
#11
On March 04 2013 15:31 sorashira wrote:
stephano is pretty amazing..

everyone challenged and questioned whether he had the ability to go to code-s, and in his first try (i think this is his first), he does it.

cool guy -- really hope he stays with the scene for a long time instead of moving on relatively soon like he said he would on his interviews.


To be fair he was invited into code S, fell down lost his first code A match then got into up and downs and advanced to code S.

Cool to see him back thought he wouldn't make it tbh.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Misacampo
Profile Joined July 2012
167 Posts
March 04 2013 06:35 GMT
#12
Khaldor also has a stephano interview if anyone is interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-oeyqRhjy8&feature=youtu.be
Beavo
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada293 Posts
March 04 2013 06:39 GMT
#13
I don't understand did Stephano not loose first round of code S then first round of Code A? A

Why is he in up and downs?
No one remembers second place
Darion
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada265 Posts
March 04 2013 06:42 GMT
#14
On March 04 2013 15:39 Beavo wrote:
I don't understand did Stephano not loose first round of code S then first round of Code A? A

Why is he in up and downs?


You only go to the first round of Code A if you finish last in your Code S Ro32 group. Stephano finished third, so he went to Code A round 2 and lost there.
ramask2
Profile Joined June 2011
Thailand1024 Posts
March 04 2013 06:42 GMT
#15
On March 04 2013 15:39 Beavo wrote:
I don't understand did Stephano not loose first round of code S then first round of Code A? A

Why is he in up and downs?


Getting 3rd place in the first round of code S lands you on the second round of Code A. So he actually lost in the second round, not the first one.
vthree
Profile Joined November 2011
Hong Kong8039 Posts
March 04 2013 06:42 GMT
#16
On March 04 2013 15:39 Beavo wrote:
I don't understand did Stephano not loose first round of code S then first round of Code A? A

Why is he in up and downs?


Because he got 3rd in his Code S group and so was sent to Ro32 of Code A (not the Ro48). And people that lose from Ro32 (or Ro24) get send to U&D. You only get drop from S to B if you finish 4th, being sent to Ro48 and losing there.
Shellshock
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States97277 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-04 06:49:27
March 04 2013 06:49 GMT
#17
Stephano hating his time in Korea. I wonder if he'll stay for the next season of GSL if he hates it so much? I guess they'll probably have him see this proleague season out at least or maybe he'll start feeling better when he starts traveling again
Moderatorhttp://i.imgur.com/U4xwqmD.png
TL+ Member
tshi
Profile Joined September 2012
United States2495 Posts
March 04 2013 07:04 GMT
#18
You’ve made it to Code S nine seasons in a row. The NesTea award is right in front of you.

Every time I fall down to Code A or the Up/Downs, luck always seems to follow me. Because of that, I think my chances of getting to Code S for next season is also pretty high. It’s going to be a real honor to receive the NesTea award since not a lot of players have earned it yet.


He'd be the second person to get the award?

...
scrub - inexperienced player with relatively little skill and excessive arrogance
Canucklehead
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada5074 Posts
March 04 2013 07:05 GMT
#19
I've always felt stephano only played gsl/pl now cause of the break in foreign tourneys and that he wouldn't play a 2nd gsl. That interview with him stating he hates korea leads me to believe he will forfeit his code s spot next season to go back to europe and play in all the foreign tourneys again. If he fell to code A, I would have been 100% sure he would forfeit, now I'm only 75% he'll forfeit code s. Staying for code s is just too long for him, especially with how much he hates korea.
Top 10 favourite pros: MKP, MVP, MC, Nestea, DRG, Jaedong, Flash, Life, Creator, Leenock
Yhamm
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
France7248 Posts
March 04 2013 07:07 GMT
#20
On March 04 2013 16:04 tshi wrote:
Show nested quote +
You’ve made it to Code S nine seasons in a row. The NesTea award is right in front of you.

Every time I fall down to Code A or the Up/Downs, luck always seems to follow me. Because of that, I think my chances of getting to Code S for next season is also pretty high. It’s going to be a real honor to receive the NesTea award since not a lot of players have earned it yet.


He'd be the second person to get the award?

...

3rd. Nestea and MVP got it
LiquipediaWe will have only each other at the last
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
ComeBackTV 684
IntoTheiNu 623
SteadfastSC492
Rex99
CosmosSc2 60
EnkiAlexander 51
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 477
Rex 98
UpATreeSC 90
CosmosSc2 63
BRAT_OK 41
MindelVK 15
Codebar 15
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 42414
Jaedong 1427
Hyuk 822
Soma 734
Mini 463
BeSt 459
Larva 352
Rush 293
Soulkey 253
ZerO 234
[ Show more ]
Snow 167
hero 97
Dewaltoss 76
Liquid`Ret 53
Mind 45
sorry 31
yabsab 29
Killer 27
ToSsGirL 23
Terrorterran 21
Rock 21
Shine 19
Trap 16
Dota 2
qojqva1334
Dendi832
Counter-Strike
Fnx 738
x6flipin350
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King103
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3327
crisheroes2358
Khaldor1777
Liquid`Hasu444
Other Games
singsing1769
ArmadaUGS1692
byalli470
ceh9377
B2W.Neo376
KnowMe120
QueenE93
Trikslyr35
Chillindude24
Railgan22
ZerO(Twitch)13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream86
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 39
• Adnapsc2 6
• Kozan
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• intothetv
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki14
• FirePhoenix11
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3473
League of Legends
• Nemesis2358
• TFBlade1111
Other Games
• imaqtpie643
• Shiphtur337
• WagamamaTV226
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
16h 34m
OSC
19h 34m
Stellar Fest
19h 34m
OSC
1d 6h
Stellar Fest
1d 19h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.