• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:38
CEST 18:38
KST 01:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8342 users

[MLG] Winner Interview

Forum Index > SC2 General
168 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
TL.net ESPORTS
Profile Joined July 2011
4 Posts
June 11 2012 03:36 GMT
#1
MLG Spring Championship Winner Interview: MvP.DongRaeGu

[image loading]
Photo by R1CH


Q: You've won an MLG Arena, but this is the first time you've won at a live championship event. How do you feel?

DRG: I did win an Arena, but I wanted to win in front of the fans. I was disappointed when I failed at the previous championships, but I'm happy to win this time after beating a lot of good players.

How did you feel when the fans were chanting your name?

It was electric. Whenever I played at MLGs, I was only able to watch from the back as the champions had their names chanted by the crowd. It made me feel bitter as I thought how great it would be if I could be in their place. When I finally received those cheers, I felt electricity through my entire body.

Your road to the title was relatively easy. Were there any memorable or tough games along the way?

Getting first place in your group and going directly to the winners' final is the easiest way to win MLG, so I was going for that... But Socke played well, and I was in danger of losing #1 in the group. However, SaSe came in late and beat Socke, which was great for me. I was watching their match thinking “Please lose, please lose,” and I was really thankful to SaSe. When he won that match, I felt that I had a good shot at winning the entire tournament.

A lot of people expected you to play MarineKing in the finals, but you ended up playing Alicia.

MKP is good at TvP so I thought he would make his way up, but Alicia had momentum and managed to beat MKP. I thought that maybe things weren't going exactly as planned, but since I'm very confident in ZvP normally, I was still very confident that I would win the championship.

Do you think the patch helped you a lot in winning the championship?

To be honest, ZvP didn't change much at all. But ZvT became... as long as I don't make a mistake – regardless of whether my opponent plays well or not – as long as I don't make a mistake, I play thinking that I am going to win. The queen range buff was just so huge.

A lot of new Heart of the Swarm info was revealed at MLG. Do you think you can do well in HOTS as well?

I think HOTS will take a lot more micro, there will be a lot more tasks to do. Having fast hands is my strength, so I think I can keep producing better results than other players.

Any thoughts on the new units?

I think the Viper could be pretty good if you make them, but it's kind of weird to add it into the your composition, and it's hive tech as well...

In ZvT, I got really hurt by mines – it was like if you make mines, you win the game. I hope they fix them, or just remove them altogether.

Did you catch the KeSPA show matches? What did you think about the games?

I saw just the RO8 matches. I didn't really expect much because they haven't been playing for that long, but I thought a few of the players had improved a lot compared to how long they had played. So I'm half looking forward to what's to come, and half afraid as well. I think in the near future we'll be able to play close games.

Do you think that once Heart of the Swarm comes out, you'll all start out on even footing?

I think of it as a totally new game, and our start would be the same. I don't think there will be a gap between us, like there is now.

The foreigners did surprisingly well this tournament. Do you think they've closed the gap, or that this tournament was just a one off?

SC2 keeps moving towards long, macro games, and I think a few foreigners like Stephano – or SaSe who played really well this tournament – are good at macro games. But I think as the game trends more towards macro games, Korean players will be favored more and more.

I think in the future, there will be a handful of foreigners who can produce good results, but I think the majority of the best players will still be Korean.

You have Code S coming up. Does winning MLG help you?

Yes, it helps. There are things I've learned through this tournament, and I think I've become a better player as I beat good players on the way to the championship. I feel like I can beat anyone in the world, so as long as I don't make any mistakes, I think I can finish high in the GSL.

Any plans on how to use the prize money?

I'm just saving it all up, because my dream is to be able to buy a home before I have to go to the army. So I'm not spending any of it and just saving.

Where do you want to buy a house? Busan? Seoul?

If I can keep saving up more money, maybe Seoul?

Your English was very good. Are you studying in particular?

I've bought textbooks and novels in order to study English, but I just don't have time to read them because I'm playing games. I just try to improve my English by using it a lot when I go abroad.

Any final comments?

I want to thank my team MvP, our partner MYM and Razer who sponsors us. Also, thanks to my teammates who help me practice, my head coach and his family, my family, friends, girlfriend, my fans, everyone!

Zerg got better, so I think I can keep producing good results, so keep watching my games!
Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
Deleted User 173346
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
16169 Posts
June 11 2012 03:49 GMT
#2
--- Nuked ---
Josh_rakoons
Profile Joined December 2011
United Kingdom1158 Posts
June 11 2012 03:50 GMT
#3
Nice interview..
XastoC
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada59 Posts
June 11 2012 03:51 GMT
#4
Awesome! GOGO DongRaeGu! You're the man! Sad that SaSe and Stephano had to face each other though...
StarTale So Good! | Life | Squirtle | PartinG | TaeJa | Stephano | MMA | DongRaeGu |
-FoX
Profile Joined November 2010
United States479 Posts
June 11 2012 03:51 GMT
#5
Congrats DRG!
DYEAlabaster
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Canada1009 Posts
June 11 2012 03:53 GMT
#6
On June 11 2012 12:49 plasmidghost wrote:
Aww, I don't want to see DRG go to the army.


He is very young, so I think that he can put it off for a while. I know they let some bw players delay it... so hopefully sc2 as well.
Coolness53
Profile Joined April 2010
United States668 Posts
June 11 2012 03:54 GMT
#7
Grats to DRG .
Fruitdealer, DongRaeGu, and Soulkey
vorxaw
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada245 Posts
June 11 2012 03:56 GMT
#8
"But I just don't have time to read them because I'm playing games" sounds like an excellent excuse to me! congrats drg
Apollo_Shards
Profile Joined February 2011
1210 Posts
June 11 2012 03:57 GMT
#9
What a really cool guy, congratulations on winning and gl in Code S.
Jaedong, sOs, avilo, MaSa, Oprah
torm3ntin
Profile Joined October 2009
Brazil2534 Posts
June 11 2012 03:59 GMT
#10
boss interview. This guys is like the kerrigan of the swarm. keeps taking it all. gl at gsl DRG.
Grubby and Ret fan, but a TERRAN player :D
TommyP
Profile Joined December 2011
United States6231 Posts
June 11 2012 04:00 GMT
#11
"I'm just saving it all up, because my dream is to be able to buy a home before I have to go to the army. So I'm not spending any of it and just saving."

Please south korea, do the world a favor and excuse him of his miltary duties. Thank you.
#TheOneTrueDong
RUFinalBoss
Profile Joined May 2012
United States266 Posts
June 11 2012 04:03 GMT
#12
GIRL FRIEND he has a girl frined... ITS ALICA
Story Of My SC2 Love Life, Meets ROOT. ROOT Disbands :( JOINS COL :D COL JOINS MVP :D HYPE! Col.MvP go byebye ): BUT THEN! ROOT GAMING IS BACK OMGOMGOMG qxc - Minigun - ROOTerdam - Catz - Drewbie - TaiLS - KeeN
Dodgin
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada39254 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-11 04:31:55
June 11 2012 04:20 GMT
#13
Do you think the patch helped you a lot in winning the championship?

To be honest, ZvP didn't change much at all. But ZvT became... as long as I don't make a mistake – regardless of whether my opponent plays well or not – as long as I don't make a mistake, I play thinking that I am going to win. The queen range buff was just so huge.


This has me worried, usually pros of their own race won't admit when something is overpowered in their favor. I hope Blizzard reverses the Queen buff or buffs Terran in some way.

DRG would win anyway, insanely good player. By far best Zerg.
Chargelot
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
2275 Posts
June 11 2012 04:25 GMT
#14
I'm so happy to find out he has a real goal for that money. So nice to hear that he's a responsible adult in real life.
if (post == "stupid") { document.getElementById('post').style.display = 'none'; }
Haustka
Profile Joined August 2010
United States221 Posts
June 11 2012 04:27 GMT
#15
i wish DRG gets some special arrangement from South Korea so he can keep playing sc2 without going to the army T.T
Power of Human Will
Fueled
Profile Joined October 2011
United States1610 Posts
June 11 2012 04:28 GMT
#16
Grats DRG and thank you for the interview!
The Wood League - Where a double gas opening can still mean a Marine/SCV all-in
aNDRoM
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States637 Posts
June 11 2012 04:31 GMT
#17
Congrats DRG. I saw you win in person! Enjoy your win!
Hi. My name is Werner Brandes. My voice is my passport. Verify me.
Ruscour
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
5233 Posts
June 11 2012 04:34 GMT
#18
On June 11 2012 13:27 Haustka wrote:
i wish DRG gets some special arrangement from South Korea so he can keep playing sc2 without going to the army T.T

ACE.
Cylluus
Profile Joined November 2011
United States153 Posts
June 11 2012 04:34 GMT
#19
DRG's such a modest guy. I actually feel honored to watch his games and be his fan. Great interview!
skatblast
Profile Joined September 2011
United States784 Posts
June 11 2012 04:36 GMT
#20
such a humble guy. Grats drg!!
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
IndyStarCraft 138
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 532
IndyStarCraft 138
BRAT_OK 45
MindelVK 24
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 26622
Bisu 1336
Shuttle 1247
Hyuk 773
Mini 479
firebathero 197
Sexy 63
hero 62
Mong 48
Hyun 43
[ Show more ]
Killer 42
Trap 39
Pusan 37
PianO 37
ToSsGirL 26
Liquid`Ret 25
zelot 18
Rock 15
Sacsri 11
Bale 10
ggaemo 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Noble 6
Dota 2
Gorgc9380
qojqva1699
Dendi951
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1533
crisheroes1116
Liquid`Hasu689
Other Games
singsing1912
fl0m1758
FrodaN1660
Beastyqt704
Mlord451
Hui .237
Liquid`VortiX173
Livibee157
KnowMe145
ArmadaUGS135
Mew2King72
Trikslyr32
CosmosSc2 14
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream43
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 38
• mYiSmile125
• Adnapsc2 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki14
• Michael_bg 12
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8110
League of Legends
• Jankos1769
Other Games
• Shiphtur278
• WagamamaTV201
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
22m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2h 22m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 22m
INu's Battles
19h 22m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
22h 22m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
Replay Cast
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 17h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 23h
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.