• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:59
CEST 12:59
KST 19:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
mca64Launcher 2.0 Sagi.gg Launcher Released [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9926 users

Why SC2 should not be getting more BW-y

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 11 12 13 Next All
opisska
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Poland8852 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-27 07:42:39
October 26 2011 00:56 GMT
#1
In the following few paragraphs, I would like to address a subject, that is being discussed on TL for a long time, but from what I hope is a different point of view. I truly hope this will not lead to a SC2 vs. BW discussion, as one of the pivotal points af the argument is that such discussion is nonsensical. I am an avid reader of the SC2 section of TL and I have not seen this kind of reasoning to be shown here, at least in recent past, so I hope this thread is not duplicit.

With new units in HoTS, we again more often see topics discussing game design of SC2. Very often, the units are judged on the basis of their comparison to BW units and there even seems to be increasing content with the feeling that the new units are more BroodWary than most of the units in WoL. This can be obviously understood as people here liked BroodWar (as I did, as a low-level player) and so they want to be SC2 as good as BW arguably was.

But here comes my question: what is the point of recreating something, even if it was good? BW is still a perfectly working piece of software, with servers to play on and a large playerbase. What is the point of having another game very similar to it, when we already do have BW? (One possibility, obviously, would be that we would like to have BW with a modern graphics, flashy and nice, but to this end, we do already have SC2BW and I believe that we all can agree that we do not want the whole SC2 to come down to this, so let us ignore this option). I believe, that for SC2 to be meaningful, it has to be significantly different from BW. Otherwise, its just a cheap marketing with not mouch added value: we could all play BW and be happy with that.

Anyway, let's think about why do people not keep playing BW, even though many people that play (or at least passionately discuss) SC2 are apparently of the opinion that BW is superior? For me, the reason is simple: I suck at BW, because of its mechanical difficulty and playing SC2 is much more fun for me.

OK, but I am a noob, right? So why do we have a whole ESPORTS scene around SC2, if it is inferior to BW? The reason is, again, simple: because the pros (non-korean) suck at BW - at least compared to their korean counterparts.

The general success of SC2 is given by the fact, that it is simpler to play on a reasonable (whatever that means for you) level than BW. Thanks to this fact, more non-koreans can really enjoy playing it and more non-koreans can enjoy watching other non-koreans play it. (Wait, OP, are you really that simple-minded? No, I am not, but I think that it is unnecessary to explain this statement with political correct words. Everyone gets the point, right?). It leads to SC2 lacking some aspects of BW but also filling some that BW never had - namely a vivid, lively western ESPORTS scene.

The think that we have to understand is that we now have something different than what we had in BW and that by making SC2 being more like BW, it will be ruined and essentially another version of BW will be made. Why would we want that? Isn't BW the best "version of BW" we could ever hope for?

This situation has another, for many unwelcome, consequence: we cannot really have even the units feel too much BWy. The reason why BW is balanced with just the units and statistics it has, has much to do with its mechanical difficulty. Putting BW units into SC2 with all the UI improvements is a complete disaster. But removing these improvements would be a disaster as well, a disaster for the existence of SC2 as a separate entitty from "just a shiny BW remake".

The question I would like to see ultimately discussed in this thread is: if you argue that something should be "more like in BW", what is you goal? What do you want to achieve with that? Does any desirable outcome of such a developement even exist? Isn't it better for SC2 to be just as different from BW as possible (while still having ESPORTS potential - Angry Birds are obvously more different from BW than SC2)?

Again, the reason for having SC2 different from BW is not that one or another approach is better than the other, but that we already kinda do have a very nice realisation of the BW one.

EDIT: after reading many interesting responses, I was able hopefully to refine my thougths a litle in response to them at page 13.
"Jeez, that's far from ideal." - Serral, the king of mild trashtalk
TL+ Member
GreyMasta
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada197 Posts
October 26 2011 00:59 GMT
#2
I am with you 100%

Good luck with that thread though.
Cosmology
Profile Joined September 2011
Canada360 Posts
October 26 2011 00:59 GMT
#3
I agree so so so much.
Somewhere, something amazing is waiting to be known.
iky43210
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States2099 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-26 01:05:02
October 26 2011 01:02 GMT
#4
There are units similarities, but they really are very different compare to BW

They just wants make a unit slightly similar to BW to sell you that nostalgia. But as long as the unit pathing for sc2 is so advance, it won't go toward the way of BW. I do agree with Blizzard moves to try to spread out the deathball though

back and forth game is always the best to look at. Introducing powerful casters and siege units will achieve them
sunman1g
Profile Joined May 2011
United States334 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-26 01:03:24
October 26 2011 01:02 GMT
#5
i sort of agre, i am so tired of all the ppl asking questions like "Back in BW we had"
go fucking play BW if you love it.

i like SC2 the way it's designed and i like that it is really different from bw.
that's why i feel it's a shame when kennigt asked DB questions that were all Bw centric...
waste of time/questions imho

"in BW we had units stretching out for screens and screens" etc.
jesus, i do not want to see that shit in SC2 personally -.-

i feel all this obsession to have SC2 looking like BW is something not THAT popular.
if you go around TL it may appear that way but thank god there's tons of people who agree SC2 shouldn't be more BW-y

XsebT
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Denmark2980 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-26 01:08:14
October 26 2011 01:04 GMT
#6
SC2 generated a huge influx of new players to the foreign community - something I was looking forward to. But I was disappoint it wasn't the game I loved anymore. Now I know it will never be, so I've stopped complaining and with this mindset I agree with the OP.
화이팅
envisioN .
Profile Joined February 2011
United States552 Posts
October 26 2011 01:05 GMT
#7
Great Read. Agree 100%. Having more foreigners playing SC2 is definately helping ESPORTS grow and thrive because foreign players aren't getting smashed by Korean pros. Instead, we have intense rivalries like that of IdrA vs MC.
"Good works do not make a good man, but a good man does good works" -Martin Luther ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
neSix
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States1772 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-26 01:06:23
October 26 2011 01:05 GMT
#8
I think you're missing the point of those arguments: It's not the game itself we wish to copy, but rather it's the characteristics that made the game so great that we hope to see more of in SC2.

I don't think the (legitimate) goal for anyone is to mimic Brood War. Instead, I think it's to use a game that we loved a benchmark for comparison. It's not that we want the game to be identical, but rather we would like the sequel to make use of aspects that we found exciting, such as space control, drawn-out, spaced-out large battles, the ability to turn an advantage into a victory outright as opposed to just expanding, etc.
No_eL
Profile Joined July 2007
Chile1438 Posts
October 26 2011 01:05 GMT
#9
sorry but im so BW nostalgic right now... i really recommend to all sc2 players watch some bw games and play some for better understanding the sorrow of many
Beat after beat i will become stronger.
StimedSheep
Profile Joined October 2010
United States51 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-26 01:08:00
October 26 2011 01:06 GMT
#10
Played SC, SC:BW and now SC2 I love both but prefer SC2. Broodwar got to be too 80% mechanical and 20% strategy I feel like SC2 is closer to 50/50 with yes you can eek out edges here and there but if you can out think your opponent you also can win the game.

I also played WC3 and TFT its been a slow evolution for the game UI design of allowing players to focus more on microing battles provided they can macro back home while watching the battles. This is admittedly harder for zerg larva injects. = \

Edit: The more time that goes by the fonder and more nostalgic you are for said item. Just a thought.
Praetorial
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States4241 Posts
October 26 2011 01:09 GMT
#11
On October 26 2011 10:04 XsebT wrote:
SC2 generated a huge influx of new players to the foreign community - something I was looking forward to. But I was disappoint it wasn't the game I loved anymore. Now I know it will never be, so I've stopped complaining and with this mindset I agree with the OP.


That was the mentality of many of us that played Brood War- we were expecting a clone, or something very similar, and it turned out to be the game it is today. Nothing wrong about that. Making comparisons between the two is not something that should be done except in cases of cross-game functionality(siege tank pushes, zealots tanking damage).
FOR GREAT JUSTICE! Bans for the ban gods!
Dfgj
Profile Joined May 2008
Singapore5922 Posts
October 26 2011 01:10 GMT
#12
On October 26 2011 10:05 neSix wrote:
I think you're missing the point of those arguments: It's not the game itself we wish to copy, but rather it's the characteristics that made the game so great that we hope to see more of in SC2.

I don't think the (legitimate) goal for anyone is to mimic Brood War. Instead, I think it's to use a game that we loved a benchmark for comparison. It's not that we want the game to be identical, but rather we would like the sequel to make use of aspects that we found exciting, such as space control, drawn-out, spaced-out large battles, the ability to turn an advantage into a victory outright as opposed to just expanding, etc.

Bingo.

You have to ask why a game like BW is good - because those are the characteristics that would make any RTS good. Not copying good game design because it's a different game is pointless logic.
Diglett
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
600 Posts
October 26 2011 01:11 GMT
#13
i like this post.

but when making an rts, you look towards the best rts. you take aspects of bw and try to apply it it your game.

im not saying copy units, but do stuff like emulate things that are awesome in rts games like long epic battles, unique and skill intensive units. bw has that.
Probulous
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Australia3894 Posts
October 26 2011 01:12 GMT
#14
On October 26 2011 10:05 neSix wrote:
I think you're missing the point of those arguments: It's not the game itself we wish to copy, but rather it's the characteristics that made the game so great that we hope to see more of in SC2.

I don't think the (legitimate) goal for anyone is to mimic Brood War. Instead, I think it's to use a game that we loved a benchmark for comparison. It's not that we want the game to be identical, but rather we would like the sequel to make use of aspects that we found exciting, such as space control, drawn-out, spaced-out large battles, the ability to turn an advantage into a victory outright as opposed to just expanding, etc.


This is a valid view point and not one I suspect people have a problem with. The thing is that those concepts are simply dealt with in a different manner. How do you compare the approach to space control between games when the units that provide that control are completely different?

The other side is that perhaps these are things that BW is known for but SC2 will have a different focus. It is really just silly to compare the two because they come from completely different places. I agree that the concepts you mentioned can be used to inform changes in SC2 but whether they should is a decision up to the game designers.
"Dude has some really interesting midgame switches that I wouldn't have expected. "I violated your house" into "HIHO THE DAIRY OH!" really threw me. You don't usually expect children's poetry harass as a follow up " - AmericanUmlaut
Seraphic
Profile Joined September 2010
United States3849 Posts
October 26 2011 01:15 GMT
#15
I'm more of a fan of BW than SC2, but I play SC2 as well. I don't see any reason for both games not able to co-exist.

BW has some intangibles that I think SC2 more or less have to have eventually. SC2 is different, so in order to do it right, you have to just wait and see if it'll turn out alright. I'm just afraid, considering that I'm a Toss (always have been.) SC2 is going to be turning into another Terran/Zerg war with Toss struggling behind trying to get what they can. SC2 really needs to find the balance. I don't care what Blizzard says, I look at tournament for results. Tournament tells it all and that's all I look for. Blizzard needs to find the results and honestly ask themselves what they can finally do to balance the game.
Natus Vincere Fan | Team Secret Fan | SK Telecom T1 Fan | Lanaya the Templar Assassin <3
R0YAL
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States1768 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-26 01:19:02
October 26 2011 01:17 GMT
#16
On October 26 2011 10:02 sunman1g wrote:
i sort of agre, i am so tired of all the ppl asking questions like "Back in BW we had"
go fucking play BW if you love it.

i like SC2 the way it's designed and i like that it is really different from bw.
that's why i feel it's a shame when kennigt asked DB questions that were all Bw centric...
waste of time/questions imho

"in BW we had units stretching out for screens and screens" etc.
jesus, i do not want to see that shit in SC2 personally -.-


i feel all this obsession to have SC2 looking like BW is something not THAT popular.
if you go around TL it may appear that way but thank god there's tons of people who agree SC2 shouldn't be more BW-y


I disagree entirely. The army balls in sc2 are not even close to as spectator friendly as the pathing in bw was. It looked much better, it was more clear, and it felt almost infinitely more epic. I actually can't conceive someone thinking that a blob on one screen is more appealing than masses upon masses of units stretched out over the map.

I personally only reference bw units as a benchmark for comparison between units. Take the new Warhound for example, I don't like the AOE AA it has. Terran does not need help against flying light units, it would be more beneficial if its AA was more like the Goliath, long range and solid damage. When I compare units it's because of the purpose that unit fulfills, how it complements that race and what it forces your enemy to do.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Animostas
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States568 Posts
October 26 2011 01:17 GMT
#17
When people say that something should be like Brood War, it's not because of the fact that it was Brood War. In SC1, there were these really fantastic concepts that helped make for a really strategically in-depth game. And it's those concepts that would actually make SC2 a better game and give it a higher skill cap.

SC2 has its merits, obviously. But there are some things that just seem really off about it and can take away from the game.
AvAri
Profile Joined August 2011
Austria135 Posts
October 26 2011 01:18 GMT
#18
agree 100%

i like that some things are like in BW we play the same races after all. but with every patch people scream for BW units and compare everything to broodwar
and like you said: soooo many things that were awesome in BW would be totaly broken, shitty,... in sc2 or wouldn't work outright

i like the approach blizzard takes with sc2 design (like dustin browder stated in the blizzcon tl interview) that they don't try to make this game broodwar 2.0 but make it into an awesome STARCRAFT game which stands on his own and has an own identity

and i also agree 100% too with dustin when he said "if u like broodwar go play it. it is awesome!" there is nothing wrong or bad or offensive in that statement

TBone-
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2309 Posts
October 26 2011 01:23 GMT
#19
I don't see why we can't have similar things from brood war, there are lessons from brood war when it comes to game design and I fail to see why we can't learn from them or apply them.
Eve online FC, lover of all competition
andiCR
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Costa Rica2273 Posts
October 26 2011 01:23 GMT
#20
We definitely dont want BW, thats why we all migrated from it. We, however, want sc2 to have the great characteristics bw had. Positional advantage (read minefields, tank spreading, observers spreading, lurkers), back and forth motion in games (scourge+lurk vs observers+goons, lurker+defiler vs mnm) and more are available on BW and made the game as epic as it was. With the kind of players we have now, the coverage of a new game, plus the popularity sc2 has, it is no noones inconvenience that Blizzard must seek this aspects of the game. When u see a battle in bw, u see looads of units come into the fight, or last a looong ass time, but in sc2 we see ball vs ball at times, which is no fun, in comparison. I get your point, but really, saying sc2 is ok as it is cuz its a new game and foreigners are actually competing vs koreans is far from what id call a perfect game. WE, the community, have to make ourselves be heard. Being a very avid scbw fan, i YEARN for a lot of things, yet i still play sc2. nostalgia != good games
Nightmare1795 wrote: I played a guy in bronze who said he was Japanese. That was the only game I ever dropped a nuke, which was purely coincidental.
1 2 3 4 5 11 12 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
19:00
Ro4 Match 1
Afreeca ASL 10536
StarCastTV_EN286
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 12858
Bisu 4512
FanTaSy 3727
Jaedong 1331
BeSt 872
actioN 639
EffOrt 528
Horang2 517
Leta 275
Larva 257
[ Show more ]
Zeus 225
Barracks 165
Dewaltoss 120
Mind 103
JYJ 83
Mong 77
scan(afreeca) 72
Sexy 66
ToSsGirL 62
sorry 62
Shinee 44
Killer 42
Free 40
Aegong 38
sSak 35
soO 32
Bale 28
HiyA 17
Sacsri 11
yabsab 11
Hyuk 0
Dota 2
XaKoH 250
Counter-Strike
byalli889
x6flipin109
Other Games
singsing2084
olofmeister1356
Lowko318
crisheroes307
Pyrionflax183
KnowMe141
B2W.Neo127
dupreeh99
Livibee86
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick643
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 165
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1171
Other Games
• WagamamaTV171
Upcoming Events
WardiTV Weekly
1m
IntoTheiNu 149
WardiTV98
Monday Night Weeklies
5h 1m
Replay Cast
12h 1m
Afreeca Starleague
23h 1m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 13h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
3 days
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.