• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:45
CEST 16:45
KST 23:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9467 users

MLG player is wasting bandwidth

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
btx0
Profile Joined December 2009
Germany184 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-16 18:42:43
October 16 2011 17:41 GMT
#1
So I did a little testing and found out that changing quality on the MLG player has a strange correlation to the bandwidth consumed.

Take a look at this:
[image loading]

What I conclude from this:
- The player basically loads every quality you have switched to
- Because the player starts on medium, low quality is useless

The only way to watch Ultra or High without loading medium is to watch in an embedded player (not on the MLG site), after you change the quality and enter your voucher medium is not being loaded, so you have to clear the cache everytime you want to switch streams.

This may not be a big deal for most individuals, because I'm guessing the average viewer has enough bandwidth to watch Ultra + Medium at least twice, but this could be a big waste on MLG's part.
Could be trouble for people watching on their phones/tablets as well.

Maybe some tech guru could take a look at this.

Edit: people say this is a Firefox issue and does not happen in Chrome, I cannot confirm this, similar results with latest Firefox and Chrome for me on win flash player 10,3,183,10.
Kralle333
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Denmark301 Posts
October 16 2011 17:43 GMT
#2
Cool find
Nukanite - www.last.fm/user/Kraller
aebriol
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway2066 Posts
October 16 2011 17:44 GMT
#3
Yeah I can't go watch on the MLG site, I have to watch embedded here on TL. Not that it's a problem, just how it is.
wswordsmen
Profile Joined October 2007
United States987 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-16 17:58:08
October 16 2011 17:50 GMT
#4
I think you should take this to MLG, and you will have to measure the bandwidth use after clearing the cache/embedded player for high/ultra/low to make it indisputable.
slicknav
Profile Joined January 2011
1409 Posts
October 16 2011 17:52 GMT
#5
I guess this explains the lag I've been having. Is there a way to fix this?
blah blah blah...
kwaky
Profile Joined October 2010
Korea (South)94 Posts
October 16 2011 17:56 GMT
#6
Hey I'm curious what program is this?
Nineball
Profile Joined December 2010
Norway163 Posts
October 16 2011 17:59 GMT
#7
So, me watching ultra on red and blue on two screens and crashing my stream, it has a reason? Nice find indeed, ive been at one screen all day without any problems though ^^
Darksamus6
Profile Joined March 2011
United States79 Posts
October 16 2011 18:00 GMT
#8
Yeah I realized this back around Anaheim and I am surprised this hasn't been fixed.
btx0
Profile Joined December 2009
Germany184 Posts
October 16 2011 18:00 GMT
#9
On October 17 2011 02:52 slicknav wrote:
I guess this explains the lag I've been having. Is there a way to fix this?

As mentioned, if you have enough bandwidth to watch High (about 2 mbit) but not High + Medium, you have to clear your cache or start private browsing and watch in an embedded player (like on TL), after you switch to High and enter your voucher, only High is loading.

On October 17 2011 02:56 kwaky wrote:
Hey I'm curious what program is this?

TrafficMonitor
Tomken
Profile Joined January 2010
Norway1144 Posts
October 16 2011 18:01 GMT
#10
ye... it's so huge different from twitch.tv for example, I could easily play sc2 with 2 streams up on 720 on twitch, but two mid quality from mlg stream just take most of my internet.
MBCGame HERO FIGHTING!!!~
alwaid
Profile Joined October 2010
United States96 Posts
October 16 2011 18:02 GMT
#11
wow good find, i expect someone will be looking at this soon.
Redmark
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada2129 Posts
October 16 2011 18:07 GMT
#12
rofl so every time I thought I was saving bandwidth by watching low I was actually using more?

Man, this probably costs MLG a lot of money too. Sadness all around.
KanoCoke
Profile Joined June 2011
Japan863 Posts
October 16 2011 18:10 GMT
#13
This is scaring me, because I actually have a 200GB/month capped plan, and I'm already at 133GB left with 26 days remaining. Someone should report this to MLG.
Will always cheer for: MMA Bomber Taeja Curious Life herO Zest
Amalaxi
Profile Joined December 2010
United States180 Posts
October 16 2011 18:12 GMT
#14
Nice find, what I'm with a few others, whats this program?
justin.tv/amalaxinaoum
ZeromuS
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada13426 Posts
October 16 2011 18:14 GMT
#15
I thought it was just a firefox issue. Yesterday people discovered this and said it isnt an issue for Google chrome or IE
StrategyRTS forever | @ZeromuS_plays | www.twitch.tv/Zeromus_
NeThZOR
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
South Africa7387 Posts
October 16 2011 18:18 GMT
#16
Interesting find indeed, as well as that this is only a problem pertaining to Firefox, as I am a Firefox user. Maybe I'll have to dig up that IE and try watching the streams using it
SuperNova - 2015 | SKT1 fan for years | Dear, FlaSh, PartinG, Soulkey, Naniwa
Turo
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada333 Posts
October 16 2011 18:22 GMT
#17
On October 17 2011 03:18 NeThZOR wrote:
Interesting find indeed, as well as that this is only a problem pertaining to Firefox, as I am a Firefox user. Maybe I'll have to dig up that IE and try watching the streams using it


oh god use chrome not IE
Nemireck
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada1875 Posts
October 16 2011 18:25 GMT
#18
If you use Chrome this isn't an issue.
Teamwork is awesome... As long as your team is doing all the work!
MLG_Steve
Profile Joined October 2010
United States3 Posts
October 16 2011 18:25 GMT
#19
Hey guys - Thank you so much for reporting this issue. We will look into this issue and let you know what we find.

Hope you're enjoying the Orlando streams!

--
Steven Flenory
VP Production @ MLG
R0YAL
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States1768 Posts
October 16 2011 18:35 GMT
#20
I wish I was the average viewer, I can't even watch 2 medium streams at once
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 15m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Railgan 56
CosmosSc2 33
trigger 26
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 54323
Shuttle 8772
BeSt 655
Horang2 466
Larva 182
Sexy 156
Soma 154
Last 122
Mind 111
ggaemo 103
[ Show more ]
Zeus 80
hero 67
Hyun 59
Sea.KH 58
Killer 50
Aegong 45
ToSsGirL 27
Bale 26
PianO 22
Rock 18
NaDa 16
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc4397
qojqva2712
Dendi1402
420jenkins441
Fuzer 44
Counter-Strike
fl0m3262
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor960
Liquid`Hasu735
Other Games
B2W.Neo856
Beastyqt538
Mlord432
byalli398
Livibee209
Hui .194
ArmadaUGS136
KnowMe93
Mew2King61
QueenE56
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick757
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream58
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 21
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 33
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 1782
League of Legends
• Nemesis3433
Other Games
• WagamamaTV198
Upcoming Events
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
15m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
4h 15m
BSL Open Qualifier
4h 15m
Replay Cast
8h 15m
Afreeca Starleague
19h 15m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
20h 15m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 1h
Replay Cast
1d 8h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 19h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 20h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.