• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:25
CEST 06:25
KST 13:25
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War585.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8817 users

Season 3 coming to an end...

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 28 29 30 Next All
HungShark
Profile Joined June 2010
United States134 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-04 16:26:36
October 04 2011 05:05 GMT
#1
This was recently revealed on the Bnet forums and I didn't see any other thread discussing this:

The Season 3 lock will go into effect the week of October 10th. Season 3 will officially end, and Season 4 will begin on the week of October 24th. Season milestone rewards will be locked in at this time, and bonus pools will start over. Hidden skill ratings used for matchmaking and league placement will carry over from the previous season, so players who have completed placement matches in a previous season will only need to play one new placement match after Season 4 starts.


Also interesting to note two new changes to the seasons:
-Seasons will only last two months
-GM league placement will last only a week

What do you all think of this?

Personally, I'm against shorter seasons. As someone who can't afford more than an hour or so of StarCraft per week day, and maybe a few hours per weekend, I feel like I've gotten nothing accomplished. I'm top in my division, but I almost feel cheated that it's ending so soon.

Link to main article: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/3279043205



EDIT: In a separate article (which is referenced in the one linked above), Blizz explains why they prefer shorter seasons:

Players have fairly consistently tended to exhibit more activity during the first eight weeks of a season. It's not unreasonable to conclude from that pattern that a shorter season will also lead to a more dynamic season, since a greater number of players are likely to be active.


Basically they have noticed that players are more active within the first eight weeks of a season. I guess their idea is that by chopping off what they believe to be the "not as active" end of the season, they can encourage more steady laddering. I'm not so sure that this is the best way to do it. I'm still waiting for those Bnet ladder tournaments that they promised years ago...

Link to sub article: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/3229387002#4
Die again in good health!
clayn
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany444 Posts
October 04 2011 05:06 GMT
#2
so.. does the MMR still change while the ladder is locked or will it stay the same?
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
October 04 2011 05:07 GMT
#3
There's already a discussion about shorter seasons.
I'm against it, but whatever, don't care. Will make going from Bronze to Masters harder again.
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
October 04 2011 05:07 GMT
#4
On October 04 2011 14:06 clayn wrote:
so.. does the MMR still change while the ladder is locked or will it stay the same?


will still change.
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
Tippecanoe
Profile Joined May 2011
United States342 Posts
October 04 2011 05:08 GMT
#5
Wow seasons are like 9 months long and starcraft 2 seasons are now 2 months long?

Going from one extreme to another.

I think 5 - 6 months is good, but w/e blizzard is blizzard.
K3Nyy
Profile Joined February 2010
United States1961 Posts
October 04 2011 05:09 GMT
#6
Man I didn't even spend all my bonus points yet. ><"

I really don't like shorter sessions.. 2 months is way too little.
sour_eraser
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada932 Posts
October 04 2011 05:09 GMT
#7
Cool,
I wonder what map blizz will choose for season 4
"What's the f*cking point of censoring a letter if everyone and their mother knows what it stands for.... F*cking morons"
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
October 04 2011 05:11 GMT
#8
On October 04 2011 14:08 Tippecanoe wrote:
Wow seasons are like 9 months long and starcraft 2 seasons are now 2 months long?

Going from one extreme to another.

I think 5 - 6 months is good, but w/e blizzard is blizzard.


First season was just the initial one when people were buying the game. It was naturally longer to compensate.
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
HungShark
Profile Joined June 2010
United States134 Posts
October 04 2011 05:13 GMT
#9
On October 04 2011 14:11 Torte de Lini wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 04 2011 14:08 Tippecanoe wrote:
Wow seasons are like 9 months long and starcraft 2 seasons are now 2 months long?

Going from one extreme to another.

I think 5 - 6 months is good, but w/e blizzard is blizzard.


First season was just the initial one when people were buying the game. It was naturally longer to compensate.

I think he means traditional seasons in sports (i.e. Basketball and football)... I don't know, however. I don't watch those sports.
Die again in good health!
McKTenor13
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States1383 Posts
October 04 2011 05:13 GMT
#10
Blizzard is probably just testing out the 2 month thing. If it is really that bad they'll just change it. People worry too much before a change actually happens
If you can chill. chill. - Liquid'Tyler
Wren
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States745 Posts
October 04 2011 05:14 GMT
#11
On October 04 2011 14:13 HungShark wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 04 2011 14:11 Torte de Lini wrote:
On October 04 2011 14:08 Tippecanoe wrote:
Wow seasons are like 9 months long and starcraft 2 seasons are now 2 months long?

Going from one extreme to another.

I think 5 - 6 months is good, but w/e blizzard is blizzard.


First season was just the initial one when people were buying the game. It was naturally longer to compensate.

I think he means traditional seasons in sports (i.e. Basketball and football)... I don't know, however. I don't watch those sports.

he said WoW, just didn't finish the capitalization.
We're here! We're queer! We don't want any more bears!
HungShark
Profile Joined June 2010
United States134 Posts
October 04 2011 05:15 GMT
#12
On October 04 2011 14:14 Wren wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 04 2011 14:13 HungShark wrote:
On October 04 2011 14:11 Torte de Lini wrote:
On October 04 2011 14:08 Tippecanoe wrote:
Wow seasons are like 9 months long and starcraft 2 seasons are now 2 months long?

Going from one extreme to another.

I think 5 - 6 months is good, but w/e blizzard is blizzard.


First season was just the initial one when people were buying the game. It was naturally longer to compensate.

I think he means traditional seasons in sports (i.e. Basketball and football)... I don't know, however. I don't watch those sports.

he said WoW, just didn't finish the capitalization.


My mistake. That makes more sense.
Die again in good health!
DeltruS
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada2214 Posts
October 04 2011 05:15 GMT
#13
Lame. This means that the TL map contest entries wont make the seasonal cutoff and we will have to wait at least 3 months for them to be implemented.
http://grooveshark.com/#/deltrus/music
slicknav
Profile Joined January 2011
1409 Posts
October 04 2011 05:17 GMT
#14
I suppose the 2 month season is motivation to play more and use up bonus points
blah blah blah...
Emporio
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States3069 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-04 05:21:25
October 04 2011 05:19 GMT
#15
Hopefully they get rid of Searing Crater, because I dislike the feeling of knowing I'm using a veto.
How does it feel knowing you wasted another 3 seconds of your life reading this again?
T0fuuu
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Australia2275 Posts
October 04 2011 05:19 GMT
#16
On October 04 2011 14:05 HungShark wrote:
This was recently revealed on the Bnet forums and I didn't see any other thread discussing this:

Show nested quote +
. Hidden skill ratings used for matchmaking and league placement will carry over from the previous season, so players who have completed placement matches in a previous season will only need to play one new placement match after Season 4 starts.


Personally, I'm against shorter seasons. As someone who can't afford more than an hour or so of StarCraft per week day, and maybe a few hours per weekend, I feel like I've gotten nothing accomplished. I'm top in my division, but I almost feel cheated that it's ending so soon.

Link to main article: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/3279043205

It doesnt affect you in the slightest and you should be happy. If you are in the top of your division you actually might get a promotion once the placements of the new season comes unless you were already in masters. If you were already in masters and were playing 1 hr a week at ranking one .... then dare i say it maybe you will get to gm lol.
unit
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States2621 Posts
October 04 2011 05:20 GMT
#17
On October 04 2011 14:07 Torte de Lini wrote:
There's already a discussion about shorter seasons.
I'm against it, but whatever, don't care. Will make going from Bronze to Masters harder again.

not really, seeing as mmr carries over
S2Lunar
Profile Joined June 2011
1051 Posts
October 04 2011 05:21 GMT
#18
They could atleast lower the lock by a few days to a week realtive to the shorter season change.

2 weeks of lock and 2 months of a full season? ><

RajaF
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada530 Posts
October 04 2011 05:22 GMT
#19
The length of the season does not matter anyway. If you were good enough to place first in your league, then you should be happy. New season may mean a promotion. And if it does not, then you should be good enough to be back on top in a week or two no?
OptimusYale
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Korea (South)1005 Posts
October 04 2011 05:22 GMT
#20
WAYYY too soon, Ive only played like 70 games this season
1 2 3 4 5 28 29 30 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 36m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 240
FoxeR 61
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4559
Leta 1832
ViBE131
Bale 51
Shine 20
Icarus 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm206
League of Legends
JimRising 629
Other Games
summit1g8565
WinterStarcraft547
Mew2King28
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick591
BasetradeTV199
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta28
• Letter1412
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota239
League of Legends
• Lourlo975
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5h 36m
Patches Events
10h 36m
BSL Open Qualifier
14h 36m
BSL Open Qualifier
14h 36m
OSC
18h 36m
OSC
1d 7h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.