• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:15
CEST 12:15
KST 19:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup5StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11836 users

Manually stacking Harvesters on Patches

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
ProtossPenny
Profile Joined December 2010
United States169 Posts
January 29 2011 21:24 GMT
#1
Hey Tlers, for people who do stack probes on closer mineral patches to your town hall, I would love to hear some theory on certain styles of doing it or your theory on not doing it at all. For example some people right off of the beginning start stacking probes on closer patches but others saturate all of their mineral patches, 1 harvester per before beginning.

I would also be interested in knowing if anyone stacks probes after the initial stacking of the closer mineral patches to the point where the first 16 are stacked without bouncing around at all (Assuming no 6 pool is happening or such). This is something I view as very cool and economical and only possible with a refined BO, very high apm and not really "active scouting" with your harvester in the beginning, like harassing or possible if you don't scout at all like Nada in that TvP MU in the most recent GSL on Shakuras or just OL scout not drone.

Please everyone who wants to keep this thread going and just share ideas, theories and really delve deep into this small aspect of the game that could give someone a nice little edge in a game, please bump this thread or whatever people do to keep it going alive, thank you!

My Problem:

So I have been having a consistent problem for a while. Since I started to manually stack harvesters on the closer mineral patches in the during the first couple minutes of the game every now and then, to the point where it has motivated me to make a post on TL, one of the 2 harvesters in sync will leave the mineral patch and go to a different patch and sometimes knocking other harvesters off and which results in me losing minerals.

Hopefully that explanation isn't botched to the point that people don't know what I am talking about. Does anyone know what exactly is causing this, usually I manually will stack a harvester to a mineral patch and then look elsewhere so most of the time I don't catch a harvester leaving the dual sync on one patch to go to another. I have done games against Very Easy AI where i just focus on watching how my harvesters act and determing the nuances of their AI and really have not discovered any concrete truth although I do have speculations of why the harvesters leave synced mineral patches. If anyone knows the cause of harvesters leaving synced mineral patches, whether it be completely random, "The harvesters weren't actually synced", or some AI nuance, I would greatly appreciate the input!


Thanks for reading my ramble in advance and please lets try to make this an educational post about as far as I am aware, a not really talked about much "tactic" of the game.
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-29 21:27:51
January 29 2011 21:27 GMT
#2
I've seen many Top pros doing this. Also Idra recently actually talked a bit about this on JP and Friends when he was teaching JP.

Anyway back on the topic. I have the exact same issue. I've only started to manually stack very recently but even now and then I get synced harvesters unsyncing. I'm not exactly sure why or if I'm just meant to resync them. Maybe it depends on the position of gathering?
ProtossPenny
Profile Joined December 2010
United States169 Posts
January 29 2011 21:34 GMT
#3
Maybe it is, while writing this post and checking on it, I have been doing custom games against AI and have noticed that in one that a harvester left a synced pair to mine a completely empty mineral patch that was extremely close to the synced mineral patch, like right next to it hugging it. That could be a coincidence or a possible explanation.
Almin
Profile Joined August 2010
United States583 Posts
January 29 2011 21:37 GMT
#4
I don't think it's worth it to be honest, even if you stack them, the chance of them unstacking is high and you'd be wasting more mining time stacking them back rather than letting them mine evenly.
J.E.G.
Profile Joined May 2010
United States389 Posts
January 29 2011 21:38 GMT
#5
I usually set my waypoint to the patch who's assigned probe returns at the same time the new probe pops. This is usually pretty close timing to get two drones per patch, but you might have to manually tell a probe to stay on a patch instead of the ai taking it to another patch farther away and possibly on the other side of the mineral field.

When doing the initial spread i just take a probe from a far patch to use as a scout to reduce the amount of apm needed
Do or do not; there is no try.
Essentia
Profile Joined July 2010
1150 Posts
January 29 2011 21:40 GMT
#6
If you have the extra APM then do it, but in reality it'll give you a SLIGHT mineral harvesting advantage and is probably not worth it.
Lucid90
Profile Joined September 2008
Canada340 Posts
January 29 2011 21:41 GMT
#7
I call them retard drones. This is what a normal situation for me looks like:

Me: Okay listen up drone. We need as much as minerals as possible right now, so im assigning you to a closer mineral patch. There currently is another drone mining it, but if we time it just right we can have both of you mining the same patch without anyone waiting for the other. It's more efficient to mine the close mineral patch than the further ones, which I know you like doing, but we need the minerals.
Drone: HUUURR OKAY ILL GO THERE DUURRR
*arives at the mineral patch*
HUURRR ACTUALLY EVEN THOUGH YOU TOLD ME TO MINE HERE, I THINK I'D RATHER NOT DERPDERP

every single time this happens
even when I tell both drones to mine the patch they still leave. You need to micro your drones really well or just give up because they are fucking retarded. I usually choose the ladder.
My sc2 account: http://www.sc2ranks.com/us/1296221/LuciD
Daria
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Australia500 Posts
January 29 2011 21:46 GMT
#8
Yep, the AI will always make that worker go to a free mineral patch if there is one avaliable. The most I could stack was 2, but yeah.
daria[e]
Deleted User 108965
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
1096 Posts
January 29 2011 21:46 GMT
#9
On January 30 2011 06:41 Lucid90 wrote:
I call them retard drones. This is what a normal situation for me looks like:

Me: Okay listen up drone. We need as much as minerals as possible right now, so im assigning you to a closer mineral patch. There currently is another drone mining it, but if we time it just right we can have both of you mining the same patch without anyone waiting for the other. It's more efficient to mine the close mineral patch than the further ones, which I know you like doing, but we need the minerals.
Drone: HUUURR OKAY ILL GO THERE DUURRR
*arives at the mineral patch*
HUURRR ACTUALLY EVEN THOUGH YOU TOLD ME TO MINE HERE, I THINK I'D RATHER NOT DERPDERP

every single time this happens
even when I tell both drones to mine the patch they still leave. You need to micro your drones really well or just give up because they are fucking retarded. I usually choose the ladder.


harvesters are so dumb sometimes haha. like there are times where i will see a probe of mine like go to the back of a mineral patch and mine then go the whole way around to return it. makes no sense lol
Disciple....Top 3 control in Clarion County
W2
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States1177 Posts
January 29 2011 21:47 GMT
#10
it's worth it if you're trying to early gate/pool/rax, since the extra 10-20 minerals you get will allow you to keep constant(or near constant) worker production which translates exponentially as you get more. After that, however, the extra 20 minerals is just extra 20 minerals. It won't change the game and you'd have other stuff to focus on by then..
Hi
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-29 21:53:16
January 29 2011 21:48 GMT
#11
On January 30 2011 06:46 LyRa wrote:
Yep, the AI will always make that worker go to a free mineral patch if there is one avaliable. The most I could stack was 2, but yeah.


I issue is when 2 are stacked and synced but after a few returns the one leaves for another patch.

Also people stating "It's not viable" or "it's viable". Please don't do so without actually posting testing and data to show either of these two statements are correct. Just saying something as if it's fact when it's just ones opinion is of no help.

EDIT: quick note. The stacking is more for the closer mineral patches early game. So workers have shorter mining distance.
Silmakuoppaanikinko
Profile Joined November 2010
799 Posts
January 29 2011 21:52 GMT
#12
Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if the advantage of this is actually lower than the advantage of pooling exactly at 200 instead of at 210 or something like that.

I do split though, but that's more to get a feeling for the mouse when I start.

I am completely positive by the way that if you're zerg and if you spawn with your minerals above or below you the drone travel time due to larva location makes up more than manually stacking.
Workers and town centres are the ultimate counter to turtles.
ALPINA
Profile Joined May 2010
3791 Posts
January 29 2011 22:03 GMT
#13
Half people didn't even read what you have written.

I have same problem, even if there is 1 drone at each patch you sometimes still cannot send 1 more to closer patch because it is automatically going to farthest patch.
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
ProtossPenny
Profile Joined December 2010
United States169 Posts
January 29 2011 22:11 GMT
#14
Thanks for the input so far everyone! I do agree that the advantage is probably miniscule like some of these posts suggest, and maybe only the highest tier of players should do it but for me personally I do something that I just recently found it is harmful to my economy according to Artosis and probe stacking is relevant to it.

I hotkey a worker to a number to be my "builder probe" . I also hotkey 3 workers to another number so when my gas finishes I can just press spacebar and then the number and click on the gas and then go back to my scout who is gathering intel / harrasing. I make sure that these probes aren't one of the "close mineral patch stacked probes". So while the economic advantage might not be substantial, for my style of hotkeys in the early game, (which may be detrimental to my economy) probe stacking is essential so I don't pull probes off of my closer mineral patches, which is the goal of my hotkey setup. Hopefully it balances out any detrimental effect to my economy caused by having pre-selected probes that are possibly pulled off of far mineral patches rather than selected immediately after they return minerals to make infrastructure or mine gas.
Zelniq
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
United States7166 Posts
January 29 2011 22:18 GMT
#15
you can always have 2 workers stay on 1 patch, it just requires precise timing so that the mineral patch is never already being mined when the other worker arrives to try to mine it. if it is, it'll go seek a new patch to mine if there is one available. that's smart design actually.

the method I use to set it up so that 2 workers will always rotate on 1 close patch and I never have to worry about it again is simply to send the 2nd worker at the patch so that there's only a SLIGHT delay (as in practically the smallest amount of time) between when one worker finishes mining the patch and the other comes in to start mining it. The timing has to be perfect otherwise it won't work: you can't have a worker mining IMMEDIATELY (as in 0 downtime of mining) after, nor can the delay between mining be too long either. What I do is try to get it as close to being precise as possible when I first double up on a patch, then adjust the worker that's coming in too early by hitting S and immediately clicking the patch again, to get the timing right. The time between when you hit S and when you tell it to go back to mining depends on how early the worker was going in to mine. Learning this takes practice, as well as doing all of it efficiently without missing a beat on building drones while doing so.
ModeratorBlame yourself or God
ProtossPenny
Profile Joined December 2010
United States169 Posts
January 29 2011 22:33 GMT
#16
Thanks Zelniq I will definitely try your method of hitting S and immediately clicking the patch.
nvs.
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada3609 Posts
January 29 2011 22:34 GMT
#17
I'd really like to hear Tyler's thoughts on this, I've heard him criticize HuK on his stream for not microing his probes efficiently and I think a further expansion on that idea would be really enlightening.
ALPINA
Profile Joined May 2010
3791 Posts
January 29 2011 22:34 GMT
#18
Yeah nice thx for info Zelniq
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
Tyler214365
Profile Joined December 2010
51 Posts
January 29 2011 22:47 GMT
#19
I think its something with the ai. It appears as though they will go to a nearby patch if it is empty, even if they are perfectly synced and not waiting on each other. perhaps this is a reason some people let all patches get at least 1 worker first before trying to stack. i don't even bother trying anymore as the workers disobedience has led me to have them figure it out themselves
Numy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
South Africa35471 Posts
January 29 2011 22:56 GMT
#20
Thanks Zelniq. Awesome info there. I never thought about delaying the mining slightly. I always had 0 downtime.
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings52
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 8327
Hyuk 631
FanTaSy 566
Horang2 530
BeSt 481
Stork 177
Pusan 111
sorry 105
Shinee 95
Killer 74
[ Show more ]
Zeus 72
Mind 69
Hyun 69
ggaemo 48
Bonyth 47
Snow 42
Bale 39
Last 36
PianO 32
Hm[arnc] 30
JYJ 22
ToSsGirL 21
Sacsri 15
Noble 7
Dota 2
XcaliburYe124
League of Legends
JimRising 422
Counter-Strike
byalli389
x6flipin82
Other Games
gofns33998
singsing2248
ArmadaUGS79
Mew2King79
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick698
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream131
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 66
• Adnapsc2 18
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2284
League of Legends
• Lourlo1230
Upcoming Events
INu's Battles
1h 45m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
4h 45m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 45m
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 45m
Replay Cast
12h 45m
Afreeca Starleague
23h 45m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 5h
Replay Cast
1d 12h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 23h
Soma vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.