• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:35
CEST 09:35
KST 16:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7194 users

The Official Thread of Overused Terms for Casters - Page 5

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 31 32 33 Next All
The_Pacifist
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States540 Posts
July 15 2010 14:15 GMT
#81
Day9: "And this is Day9 Daily number X"

"And I will now happily take some questions" *sips drink* (anyone else notice that he loves to sip his drink right at this point?)

HD: "And here we have Y spawning in the X o clock position"

"I don't think I agree with this"
Chex
Profile Joined May 2010
United States87 Posts
July 15 2010 14:18 GMT
#82
I can really only comment on Day[9]'s casting since that's most of what I watch, but I really don't think there are problems with overused phrases beyond 2 casters in particular.

"Most normal thing in the world" comes to mind with Day but I actually think its hilarious and accurate.
wishbones
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Canada2600 Posts
July 15 2010 14:21 GMT
#83
I think its just fine the way it is, i mean casters are all main streamed eventually, look at nfl, look at nba, look at poker, look at golf, look at that, and this, and everything. Never ever ever, will you see casters worried about overused lines, because those lines are just the norm.
joined TL.net in 2006 (aka GMer) - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=41944#2
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-15 14:25:11
July 15 2010 14:22 GMT
#84
I don't think it's a problem, but it's still fun to just kid about it. I can also see how a caster may find it helpful. If a phrase is said the best way often it's no big deal, but it's still nice to know what some of the common phrases are. For example if a caster realizes he's saying blunder 10 times a game he may want to pull out a thesaurus and start having players make mistakes, screw-ups, errors, goofs, ands slip ups.
Logo
palanq
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States761 Posts
July 15 2010 14:22 GMT
#85
there was this one series with iNcontrol where the commentator (husky?) said such and such was absolutely out of control ~15 times
time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
Rabiator
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany3948 Posts
July 15 2010 14:26 GMT
#86
One thing I noticed when TheGunrun is commentating is that everything which Martijn points out is commented as "nice". The english language should have sufficient variations of that word in store, but it always sounds like "talking without saying anything".
If you cant say what you're meaning, you can never mean what you're saying.
Tom the Legend
Profile Joined February 2010
United Kingdom38 Posts
July 15 2010 14:27 GMT
#87
"Heeello there ladies and gentlemen, moletrap comin at ya" - begining of every moletrap commentary.
"Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change." - Stephen Hawking
TheBB
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Switzerland5133 Posts
July 15 2010 14:34 GMT
#88
"on the ground" and "in the air"

I mean, they're marines. We all know they're not flying.
http://aligulac.com || Barcraft Switzerland! || Zerg best race. || Stats-poster extraordinaire.
Fenrir-Vice
Profile Joined May 2010
United States123 Posts
July 15 2010 14:37 GMT
#89
"so annoying"

Heard this like 10 times during one show match, my ears start to bleed whenever i hear, "oh this probe is going to attack the building scv and just generally be really annoying."
Biscut Status: Buttered
Geo.Rion
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
7377 Posts
July 15 2010 14:46 GMT
#90
not overused, it's one of my favorite lines from Day9, he used it a couple of times, sg like this:
"Truer words were never spoken"
"Protoss is a joke" Liquid`Jinro Okt.1. 2011
Matiz_pl
Profile Joined August 2008
Poland163 Posts
July 15 2010 15:02 GMT
#91
"materialize"
Not sure who says it, but I heard it quite often from one caster in kinda weird situations and rather too often.
"Competitive gaming consists of one and only one rule. You use what wins. " - FuumaMonou
Lucius2
Profile Joined June 2010
Germany548 Posts
July 15 2010 15:09 GMT
#92
scv drilling away at sth

ChanChan
Profile Joined July 2010
Australia18 Posts
July 15 2010 15:14 GMT
#93
Playgu & Rivo.
Wrist
Profile Joined June 2010
Netherlands35 Posts
July 15 2010 15:14 GMT
#94
On July 16 2010 00:02 Matiz_pl wrote:
"materialize"
Not sure who says it, but I heard it quite often from one caster in kinda weird situations and rather too often.


pretty sure its gretorp
AskJoshy
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States1625 Posts
July 15 2010 15:31 GMT
#95
Really? People don't like it when we identify the players and where they're starting on the map? I really thought those were kind of... you know... important for spectating.

One phrase that I know I've said 100 times is "it'll be interesting to see/I'm curious to see," but it's because I'm not 100% sure why the player's done something. Sometimes I say that so I can let the viewers know about various possibilities. For example, if you see a Twilight Council dropped relatively early, I say that I'm curious to see whether the player will go for tier 1 upgrades, a dark shrine, or a twilight council, and sort of touch on each strat until we see another upgrade or tech building in the works.
Heroes, Hearthstone, and SC2 videos: http://www.youtube.com/AskJoshy
CrushDog5
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada207 Posts
July 15 2010 16:13 GMT
#96
To me, casting a game (particularly a tournament game, particularly when the casters don't know the outcome) is different than doing a strategic analysis.

In a tournament cast, saying "I think this is a mistake", or " Oh I really don't like this move" seems borderline arrogant. After all White-Ra and TLO can CRUSH any current caster.

It seems better to say "this seems risky" or explain WHY this strategy is unusual or surprising. Casting a tournament game should help viewers understand the game at a deeper level, not just spout opinions.

Strategic analysis, like what Day9 does when he picks a few games to highlight some strategic point, is a totally different story, and opinions and analysis are the point of the cast.

Generally, though, I LIKE each casters signature phrases.

"See you guyyyyyys next time"
SkillCraft.com - StarCraft + Science
ghermination
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States2851 Posts
July 15 2010 16:17 GMT
#97
"I don't like this"
"I like this"
"I think that x is a y"
U Gotta Skate.
Nokarot
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1410 Posts
July 15 2010 16:25 GMT
#98
Don't know how to phrase it in a quote, but when people start talking about "oh pink zerg is the best," "no orange is clearly a more dominant color" it really annoys me. Not because I'm an elitist jerk- I enjoy some humor, but it's overused, as per the topic

The only time I really liked someone mentioning color being dominant was diggitys dual planetary fortress rush video, regarding "the most formidable colors in the protoss army" not standing a chance.
beep beep boop
xtfftc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United Kingdom2343 Posts
July 15 2010 16:29 GMT
#99
Caster: "Well, we'll just have to wait and see."
Me: "DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDIEIDIEDIEDIEDIE!!!!"

Oh, and "Baneling Bust".
schiznak
Profile Joined October 2009
Australia258 Posts
July 15 2010 16:32 GMT
#100
"All in"
"That's very e-sports of you to have the camera focused on the people instead of the game" -ultradavid
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 31 32 33 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech161
StarCraft: Brood War
Mong 368
Leta 234
Dewaltoss 112
sSak 52
ZergMaN 36
NotJumperer 34
Bale 33
Aegong 28
Killer 22
yabsab 15
[ Show more ]
Noble 13
Sharp 0
League of Legends
JimRising 550
Reynor45
Other Games
summit1g11333
olofmeister335
Sick207
Happy131
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick634
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream42
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush1124
• Jankos531
• Stunt406
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
2h 25m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3h 25m
Monday Night Weeklies
8h 25m
Replay Cast
15h 25m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 2h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 3h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 16h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.