• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:36
CEST 21:36
KST 04:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon109
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9810 users

[D][Map] Mimic AI

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Iwbhs
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States195 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-15 05:10:22
June 15 2010 05:01 GMT
#1
I take no credit for this, and I haven't really put this through as many matches as I should. I've only played about 20 games or so on it. I also changed the default "map" to LT because when I play zerg I hate Kulas


http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/mimic-ai/

As a random player who is a little above average D+/C- in iccup - low diamond/high plat in sc2b this whole no sc2 beta stint is killing me. Sure I can play on Yabot's and it FEELS like I'm playing a game, but what about when you just want to play an opponent that feels like a real player? The "computer" ai that blizzard has is laughable, the other AI's cheat which drives me crazy, so I tried to find a compromise.

After some quick googling I found that SC2mapster held an AI competition. The winner was Rrowlands behemoth. It is very, very good. And actually quite hard to beat. But it doesn't take into account the map very much and generally plays very reactive. Also I couldn't find a way to not have the computer play as Toss but I might just be ignorant in this regard. And it cheats, which sucks.

This left me wanting more. Enter Mimic AI. This is taken from the site:
Features:
Mimic can play as Protoss, Zerg and Terran
Mimic actively scouts, and cannot attack what it can't see
Up to 12 players can be controlled by Mimic simultaneously
The AI can be easily transferred into other melee maps
Mimic can store up to 30 build orders simultaneously

Instructions:
Playing - By default, Mimic starts with no build or attack orders. If this is your first game against Mimic; build and expand as much as you please. Attack the existing enemy base, and type -save before defeating the opponent. Once the profile is saved, restart the game and Mimic will now know how to build and attack with your race! Alternatively, you can download the MimicAIData.sc2bank file and place it into the Starcraft II Beta\Banks folder. This contains 9 basic profiles to get you started.

Editing - You can change several basic settings within the AI Initialization trigger: 'Gather Rate' determines the mineral yield of the AI. Setting this to 2 will make the AI gather minerals twice as fast, and you can use this to alter the difficulty. Similarly, 'AI Omnipotence' can be toggled on to remove the scouting mechanic; this effectively allows the AI to see the entire map. If you want to choose which players are controlled by the AI, simply add them to the 'AI Players' player group.


So basically, I played as each race a bunch. Probably 15 games or so, then went in and tweaked the build orders as best I could. I made sure to do at least 1 of each "kind of build" hitting all the major ones. For example as Z I did 4 games, 7pool, lalush 14 pool 16 hatch into hydra, 10 pool into baneling with speedlings and then a muta build that I got from searching.

Now the matches are fun, because it's me playing myself. I want some other people to use this map and just basically give the computer better build orders. My Zerg is by far my strongest race, but a real high level random player would give this map a great AI Bank.

edit: misc spelling and syntax errors. I'm a programmer, not a writer.

TLDR: Play the fucking map with each race a bunch then switch to your main race and have fun.
Everyone loves Milano cookies.
EvilMaishidon
Profile Joined May 2010
United States125 Posts
June 15 2010 05:33 GMT
#2
sounds pretty good. Definitely going to try this out.
Subversion
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
South Africa3627 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-15 05:43:41
June 15 2010 05:36 GMT
#3
is there any way we can like... combine everyone's play into the map without doing all of it ourselves?

So we could have a whole lot of TL members BOs and compositions etc saved into the thing? without doing them all ourselves?
sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
June 15 2010 05:39 GMT
#4
For how long does it follow your mimic'ed BO before going off on its own?
In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
Spyridon
Profile Joined April 2010
United States997 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-15 05:53:16
June 15 2010 05:51 GMT
#5
I would love some AI banks from high ranked players - I tried putting up a post like this a few days ago but noone really posted anything. Heres a link - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=130271

I'm really crappy with all races except Zerg, and a big thing holding me back is I play better when I am facing a good opponent - but against a crappy one my mind is naturally not as sharp.

Also, you dont really play ZvZ like you play ZvT or ZvP, so if I save any "normal" BO to a memory bank, it wont work very well if I play against Zerg Mimic as Zerg myself.

So until I get some decent memory banks, I'm pretty much out of luck.

Behemoth was hard the first 2 times, but now it's pretty easy unless I mess up my build. ZvP is boring until I get a better AI. I'm CRAVING a decent challenge! ESPECIALLY a decent Terran...
bakedace
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States672 Posts
June 15 2010 06:34 GMT
#6
so how do I setup the AI you speak of, instead of the default.
Kordox
Profile Joined April 2010
Denmark142 Posts
June 15 2010 06:38 GMT
#7
I've made the AI work on other maps, but now the problem is that the game speed isn't at 'faster'. How do I fix that?
XXXSmOke
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States1333 Posts
June 15 2010 07:04 GMT
#8
Mimic is nothing compared to dark green tea. Dark green tea AI is pretty legit it takes the tops builds of each race and plots them against you. So you have to scout and react rather than play the same counter every time with mimic ai.
Emperor? Boxer disapproves. He's building bunkers at your mom's house even as you're reading this.
Spyridon
Profile Joined April 2010
United States997 Posts
June 15 2010 07:16 GMT
#9
On June 15 2010 15:38 Kordox wrote:
I've made the AI work on other maps, but now the problem is that the game speed isn't at 'faster'. How do I fix that?


If I remember correctly, thats found in File>Preferences somewhere.

On June 15 2010 16:04 XXXSmOke wrote:
Mimic is nothing compared to dark green tea. Dark green tea AI is pretty legit it takes the tops builds of each race and plots them against you. So you have to scout and react rather than play the same counter every time with mimic ai.


Never even heard of that. Is that a real AI? Where could you find it?
NeoLearner
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Belgium1847 Posts
June 15 2010 07:16 GMT
#10
On June 15 2010 16:04 XXXSmOke wrote:
Mimic is nothing compared to dark green tea. Dark green tea AI is pretty legit it takes the tops builds of each race and plots them against you. So you have to scout and react rather than play the same counter every time with mimic ai.


I guess both AI's have their uses. If you just want to play a nice AI I guess Green Tea is more unpredictable and nice.
If you want to investigate your own build and scout for possible holes and weaknesses, Mimic is pretty cool.

I'll give both of them a try this evening.

BTW: http://sc2.nibbits.com/assets/green-tea-ai/
Bankai - Correlation does not imply causation
scrdmnttr
Profile Joined May 2010
United States96 Posts
June 15 2010 07:20 GMT
#11
On June 15 2010 15:38 Kordox wrote:
I've made the AI work on other maps, but now the problem is that the game speed isn't at 'faster'. How do I fix that?


Menu + Options. Click on Gameplay tab, then simply set the game speed to faster.
Subversion
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
South Africa3627 Posts
June 15 2010 07:29 GMT
#12
sweet gonna give green tea a try! i need a more challenging AI, find the Starcrack one waaaaay too easy
Spyridon
Profile Joined April 2010
United States997 Posts
June 15 2010 07:33 GMT
#13
On June 15 2010 16:20 scrdmnttr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 15 2010 15:38 Kordox wrote:
I've made the AI work on other maps, but now the problem is that the game speed isn't at 'faster'. How do I fix that?


Menu + Options. Click on Gameplay tab, then simply set the game speed to faster.


You have to do it every game that way. If you do it in the editor, you only need to do it once.
Iwbhs
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States195 Posts
June 15 2010 08:47 GMT
#14
hmmmm GREEN tea! I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks for the find!
Everyone loves Milano cookies.
Shanedon
Profile Joined April 2010
United States147 Posts
June 15 2010 09:43 GMT
#15
I just beat the green tea AI with a bunker rush once and a 2 mara + conc shell the second time to see how it handled harassment, both were TvP. It didnt seem to adapt any, it just kinda sat there and died, but maybe I just got lucky who knows.
Gyar...
lovewithlea
Profile Joined March 2010
168 Posts
June 15 2010 11:50 GMT
#16
anyone mind telling me how i manage ton only play one opponent in mimic and how to set my and his race?
Endorsed
Profile Joined May 2010
Netherlands1221 Posts
June 15 2010 11:54 GMT
#17
On June 15 2010 18:43 Shanedon wrote:
I just beat the green tea AI with a bunker rush once and a 2 mara + conc shell the second time to see how it handled harassment, both were TvP. It didnt seem to adapt any, it just kinda sat there and died, but maybe I just got lucky who knows.


I had the same problem, you probably put the AI in the wrong folder. It has to be in the ai folder of SC2ALLIN1, otherwise you just play against the default blizzard AI which does nothing other then building a few buildings.

Licmyobelisk
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Philippines3682 Posts
June 15 2010 12:53 GMT
#18
green tea AI is pretty okay but the thing about is that you have to change SC2 files so that you can play the crack version which isn't my thing right now.

Well, i'll just try the mimic AI
I don't think I've ever wished my opponent good luck prior to a game. When I play, I play to win. I hope every opponent I ever have is cursed with fucking terrible luck. I hope they're stuck playing underneath a stepladder with a black cat in attendance a
Kantutan
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1319 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-15 13:14:35
June 15 2010 13:00 GMT
#19
I really don't like the fact that it's an FFA on Kulas Ravine. I think it would have been FAR better if it was 1v1 on Steppes of War or something. It would definitely be a lot more useful to have the AI mimicking those BOs instead, since FFA obviously plays out a little bit different.

Edit: nvm, you didn't add in the part where it says you can switch it to any melee map :p

Copying - Mimic can be copied into any melee map:

1. Open the trigger editor
2. Copy the 'Mimic' folder
3. Open the destination map
4. Paste the 'Mimic' folder into the destination map.
5. Click on the 'Melee Initialization' trigger of the destination map, and delete the 'Set Default Melee Options' and 'Start Melee AI' functions.
6. On the top toolbar, navigate to 'Map -> Player properties'
7. Make all the desired AI players computer controlled
Ichabod
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1659 Posts
June 15 2010 13:06 GMT
#20
I'm skeptical, seems more like a build order matchup device instead of actual AI, does it make decisions based on what it sees? or does it just copy BO's?
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 24m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 524
UpATreeSC 107
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 994
Dewaltoss 114
firebathero 83
Zeus 68
Trap 40
910 40
Bale 27
ToSsGirL 21
NaDa 20
JYJ 16
[ Show more ]
Shine 14
Dota 2
Gorgc6294
420jenkins229
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1389
edward200
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS142
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu2016
Other Games
summit1g5051
Grubby3011
Beastyqt693
B2W.Neo613
byalli403
shahzam283
C9.Mang0155
KnowMe155
TKL 140
Railgan15
Chillindude10
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV266
BasetradeTV261
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream126
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Reevou 7
• Adnapsc2 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki35
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur351
• WagamamaTV273
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
4h 24m
Kung Fu Cup
15h 24m
Stellar Fest
17h 24m
The PondCast
1d 14h
OSC
1d 17h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.