• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:39
CEST 06:39
KST 13:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6232 users

Picking Your First Vespene Geyser / Gas Tips

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
covetousrat
Profile Joined October 2010
2109 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-22 14:22:41
April 22 2011 07:48 GMT
#1
I am really surprised when SlayersAlicia chose the further gas yesterday during his match against oGsNada in GSL Code S. This is probably a huge mistake and very seldom seen in such high level gaming.

Photo below is not taken from the SlayersAlicia's match. Just an example.

[image loading]

You should give thoughts into which Vespene Geyser to be taken first on some maps. On maps like Metalopolis, taking either one of the Vespene Geyser first will produce different results. This is due to the travel distance between the Geyser/Gas to your main base. It doesn't matter if you are a Zerg, Protoss or Terran.

However, it is most advisable to pick the closer Vespene Geyser to your main base. The real difference is probably like 5-10% when building your Gas on the nearer one. But we should do whatever we can to boost our winning percentage. The next time you spawn on any maps, pick the nearer gas. Some maps may have no difference at all.

On the first screen shot above, if you spawn at the 6 o clock position, you should definitely take the vespene gas on the top. If you spawn on the 9 o clock position on Metalopolis, take the bottom gas first. If you are having a doubt about this, you can try to observe for yourself by building two gases on Metalopolis and send 3 workers into each gas. Observe for a while and you will notice the difference.

EDIT:
Just did some testing on Metalopolis.
1 minute in game time
Closer gas: 112 gas
Further gas: 104 gas
Difference of 7.7%

www.sc2tips.blogspot.com

Kevincible
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada70 Posts
April 22 2011 07:57 GMT
#2
The gas he took in that pic looks closer to the OC than the gas not taken to me.. o.o
JKira
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Canada1002 Posts
April 22 2011 08:01 GMT
#3
On April 22 2011 16:57 Kevincible wrote:
The gas he took in that pic looks closer to the OC than the gas not taken to me.. o.o


That's because it is. OP was referring to Slayers_Alicia, the Protoss player. The picture is just to show there is a difference in distance between the two gasses, and not related to the GSL game being referred to.
sleepingdog
Profile Joined August 2008
Austria6145 Posts
April 22 2011 08:09 GMT
#4
On April 22 2011 16:48 covetousrat wrote:
I am really surprised when SlayersAlicia chose the further gas yesterday during his match against oGsNada in GSL Code S. This is probably a huge mistake and very seldom seen in such high level gaming.


I completely agree, seeing that a player of his calibre makes this mistake - or even worse, maybe doesn't even know about this - came as a shock to me.

Nevertheless, for a good OP you should've taken the effort of analysing each map especially if you try to advertise your page.
"You see....YOU SEE..." © 2010 Sen
longtang
Profile Joined February 2011
United States73 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-22 13:39:37
April 22 2011 13:27 GMT
#5
Great! I am just starting to pay attention to little things like this. I am also changing my TvT build a bit, so my gas timing has been off. So, I am working on that. Mainly, now what I do differently is I use a lot of infantry with tanks only as supporting units. This means that at my first push, I only need two tanks at about 7:30 ish.

I want a huge marine maruader force and two tanks with siege completing on the way to the opp's base. I do a 7:30 mass MM and two tank push with a proxy rax for spotting the high ground. In watching my replay, I am noticing that i have wayyyyy too much excess gas. I think I need to move my 2nd geyser timing quite a bit back, since what I am lacking is minerals--even with constant mule drops.

Right now, my gas piles up. So, I am thinking of moving my 2nd geyser timing to some time after factory has started. I am going to try half way finished factory, or 3/4 way finished factory. The things I use gas for are: tanks, siege mode, mauraders and concussive (for anti-hellion). I don't get stim or combat shield, yet. At that early stage of the game, I want mass units. Besides, I don't really want to stim if I don't have medivacs.

As I push out, I will fly a proxy rax to scout and spot the high ground. I siege up at a good place and start to blow. I even land the rax in the opp's base and produce marines while I am spotting. The siege tank from low ground keeps the rax safe. It has been a fun way to play terran, as it does not turn into a long tank battle.

As the battle gets under way, my starport is being thrown down.


So, as you can see, from my description, I don't really need that much gas early on. I think I can wait quite a bit b4 second geyer. I need the minerals to produce the infantry and to produce the proxy rax that I use for spoting/scouting. The reason I use proxy rax instead of a scan is that it is cheaper to use a rax. Also, rax last longer than a scan. I land that rax in his base and I tell him "Hey, there is a base in your base." And, with tanks covering my rax, I proceed to make marines right there--very bold :-). I feel that I am using all the best features of terran when I do things like this because terran buildings can fly, while tanks have insane range w/ vision advantage. :-).

My tvt has vastly improved since I start to use tanks once again. It just seems that tanks are soo good that, even if you hate them (I do hate them), you still need to get them. I believe that tnaks are a more optimal way to play than either the iechoic build or the MKP mass rine 1rax FE build.

cheers.
Kill all Protoss. Make them Die. Long Live Terran. Tos is a despicable race b/c they R sneaky & underhanded; Their scouts dont' scout; they Just hide & make pylons
covetousrat
Profile Joined October 2010
2109 Posts
April 22 2011 14:26 GMT
#6
Just had some testing and there is a bit of a difference, probably 1-2 probe gas mining. Around 7.7% difference.

@Longtang good to hear your fixing your TvT build.

Cheers
Oneoldfogie
Profile Joined February 2011
United Kingdom61 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-22 15:15:03
April 22 2011 14:34 GMT
#7
While the gas geyser he took, or rather, some gas geysers, are less efficient than others, there are other things to take into consideration (although not in that match-up for what I'm going to say). The main for me being that as any race, playing against a zerg, some gas geysers are much harder to get to than others with a scouting overlord, and therefore it is harder to attain the time at which your opponent, or you (depending on point of view) put down their second gas, which is usually a decent tell regarding what build they are going.

Taking that into consideration i usually opt, when playing against Zerg, but also other races out of habit, the one which is easier to scout with an overlord as my first gas.

However, I never have actually taken into account that 7.7% decrease in efficiency when doing this, so food for thought for me. Either way though, im a lowly diamond player, so these things don't worry me as much as perhaps players in the GSL or other top leagues.

Or i could just be completely wrong.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft413
RuFF_SC2 207
Nina 99
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2767
GuemChi 827
Leta 116
Terrorterran 74
Snow 56
Bale 40
NaDa 40
Noble 13
Icarus 5
Dota 2
febbydoto15
League of Legends
JimRising 636
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox500
Mew2King61
Other Games
summit1g7191
C9.Mang0295
Sick108
ViBE88
Trikslyr31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick713
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 98
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki16
• Pr0nogo 6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2123
League of Legends
• Lourlo1222
• Stunt360
Other Games
• Shiphtur522
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
11h 21m
The PondCast
1d 5h
INu's Battles
1d 6h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 17h
Replay Cast
1d 18h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.