• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:19
CEST 17:19
KST 00:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror mca64Launcher 2.0
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7613 users

If major tournaments released replays, how would you use t…

Forum Index > Polls & Liquibet
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
EnumaAvalon
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Philippines3613 Posts
May 06 2013 04:29 GMT
#1
Seeing this, I can kinda imagine why releasing replays may be "bad" for some players. Look at Stephano's Max Roach, after it's been dissected, he lost prominence.
(._.) ( l: ) ( .-. ) ( :l ) (._.) They see me rolling. They hating.
MrMotionPicture
Profile Joined May 2010
United States4327 Posts
May 06 2013 04:36 GMT
#2
I just never really watch replays. I prefer streams/VODs.
"Elvis Presley" | Ret was looking at my post in the GSL video by Artosis. | MMA told me I look like Juanfran while we shared an elevator with Scarlett
DBS
Profile Joined July 2012
515 Posts
May 06 2013 05:30 GMT
#3
On May 06 2013 13:29 EnumaAvalon wrote:
Seeing this, I can kinda imagine why releasing replays may be "bad" for some players. Look at Stephano's Max Roach, after it's been dissected, he lost prominence.

You can do the same disection w/ a vod if they keep the production tab open, which is pretty standard, its just more difficult
"a pitchfork is for hay. a trident is for killing bitches." -djwheat
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33705 Posts
May 06 2013 05:38 GMT
#4
If I can't catch something live, and replays are up in a timely manner, I can't see a situation where I'd watch the VOD over the rep.
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
EnumaAvalon
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Philippines3613 Posts
May 06 2013 05:42 GMT
#5
On May 06 2013 14:30 DBS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 06 2013 13:29 EnumaAvalon wrote:
Seeing this, I can kinda imagine why releasing replays may be "bad" for some players. Look at Stephano's Max Roach, after it's been dissected, he lost prominence.

You can do the same disection w/ a vod if they keep the production tab open, which is pretty standard, its just more difficult


A lot more difficult. Since you have no control unless the casters will have the production tab on forever.
(._.) ( l: ) ( .-. ) ( :l ) (._.) They see me rolling. They hating.
endy
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Switzerland8970 Posts
May 06 2013 07:44 GMT
#6
Replays give you control, and look better.
ॐ
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-06 08:02:27
May 06 2013 07:59 GMT
#7
On May 06 2013 13:29 EnumaAvalon wrote:
Seeing this, I can kinda imagine why releasing replays may be "bad" for some players. Look at Stephano's Max Roach, after it's been dissected, he lost prominence.


You dont need a replay to identify 14pool 3hatch 6 min double gas 7 min roach warren drone to 50 and max on roaches man.. It's actually one of the simplest things in the game to do, just slight ordering of things like queens and overlords can make it a bit better if you go in depth.

I mean once it's been done in 10+ games, it's not the hardest of strategies to pull apart. Something i would say is much more influential from replays would be for example Parting immortal all in from WOL days - Without an exact replay, structuring, pretty exact timing on gasses 3 and 4, gateways, robo, map of chronoboost usage, especially with the inbase forge stuff he did - it's impossible to play anywhere near as effectively as he did. The average masters player missed his timings by, literally, a minute or more, without a lot of replay disecting and guiding, even many GM players did some things pretty fundamentally wrong with the style of all in, or defending against it. I got into a debate once about if an opening would hold immortal all in, i got replays of it beating GM level immortal all ins; yet they still didn't have any kind of good timings, the kind that would invalidate the opening in question

Casters don't really ever go into any kind of depth aside from "oh he's doing an immortal all in" or "he's dropping some extra gates now" etc - while with roach max all you need is for example 14pool, 3hatch before gas, 6 min double gas, 7 min roach warren + evo and an idea of how far to drone, you need to go much more in depth for many other things.

And for the stuff that doesn't require you to be as in depth? Replays are just much easier and more user friendly.
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Naphal
Profile Joined December 2010
Germany2099 Posts
May 06 2013 09:16 GMT
#8
i would take over in the final moments of the finals and feel like a king (or kong)
xtfftc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United Kingdom2343 Posts
May 06 2013 09:51 GMT
#9
On May 06 2013 13:29 EnumaAvalon wrote:
Seeing this, I can kinda imagine why releasing replays may be "bad" for some players. Look at Stephano's Max Roach, after it's been dissected, he lost prominence.


That's oversimplifying the competitive environment. There's many other factors that may have contributed; personal issues, practice regime, etc.
dirtydurb82
Profile Joined December 2012
United States178 Posts
May 06 2013 09:55 GMT
#10
Hey, I'm just looking for great games to enjoy!
"The only way to grow E-Sports is to tell the truth." -Richard Lewis
MtlGuitarist97
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1539 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-06 10:39:23
May 06 2013 10:38 GMT
#11
On May 06 2013 14:38 Waxangel wrote:
If I can't catch something live, and replays are up in a timely manner, I can't see a situation where I'd watch the VOD over the rep.

If it's two casters I like, I could see why I'd watch the vod

Honestly though, most of the time if I'm trying to learn a build the replays are better than the vods. I don't have a preference though. If I want to enjoy the game, I'll watch the vods. If I'm studying it so I can figure out the player's strategy, I'll watch the replay.
Talin
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Montenegro10532 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-06 12:20:14
May 06 2013 12:19 GMT
#12
I would probably watch replays over a VOD, but then again I basically never watch VODs and will just check results if I'm interested in the tournament and missed live games.
Skoven
Profile Joined May 2012
Denmark13 Posts
May 06 2013 13:00 GMT
#13
As someone who don't really play Starcraft, just watches, it wouldn't personally affect me whenever they are released or not. That said, I think replays should as a minimum be released after the tournament is over, so that casters, pros and the general player base have the opportunity to closely study how the games are being played.

The only downside to doing this would be for players who device complex strategies that blow minds, or rely somewhat on the element of surprise. Even in that scenario, it is better for the health of the game, as everyone can learn about the game. It forces players to evolve, and make preparation for a series potentially more rewarding. The fact that we can now resume from replays offers unique training exercises for pros and players alike, and everyone wins in that case.

Hell, I win too, because Artosis and other analytical casters can effectively analyze play styles for races or individual players, and therefore give better reasoning for how these guys are going to play their games, or even better, lose it when the player does something completely unexpected.
Yorke
Profile Joined November 2010
England881 Posts
May 06 2013 13:56 GMT
#14
300 people saying they're not interested in tournament replays? What the fuck?
@YorkeSC - RIP MIT Police Officer Sean Collier, BW fan
kochanfe
Profile Joined July 2011
Micronesia1338 Posts
May 06 2013 14:51 GMT
#15
Other: INnoVation replays make good wanking material
"The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long." - Lao Tzu
kochanfe
Profile Joined July 2011
Micronesia1338 Posts
May 06 2013 14:52 GMT
#16
On May 06 2013 14:38 Waxangel wrote:
If I can't catch something live, and replays are up in a timely manner, I can't see a situation where I'd watch the VOD over the rep.

Really? Replays are cool and all but if it's Tastosis casting I'd much rather watch the VOD myself.
"The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long." - Lao Tzu
Blargh
Profile Joined September 2010
United States2103 Posts
May 06 2013 15:02 GMT
#17
I do wonder, do pros use the start from replay to perfect builds? It seems like that would make finding holes in builds infinitely easier...

But yeah, I would never watch it over a stream simply because I'm lazy and don't feel like observing myself. The Koreans do a good enough job. If I did watch a VOD, it'd likely contain Innovation in which I'd just 1st person it. Replays are okay to watch if I can't make the live stream.
AlternativeEgo
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden17309 Posts
May 06 2013 15:11 GMT
#18
On May 06 2013 22:56 Yorke wrote:
300 people saying they're not interested in tournament replays? What the fuck?


I don't even have the game yo
Mark Munoz looks like Gretorp
Wodger
Profile Joined October 2008
Scotland380 Posts
May 06 2013 16:08 GMT
#19
I'd use them for complete results because apparently it's impossible for major tournaments to track their own results.
Zenbrez
Profile Joined June 2012
Canada5973 Posts
May 06 2013 16:18 GMT
#20
On May 06 2013 22:56 Yorke wrote:
300 people saying they're not interested in tournament replays? What the fuck?

I voted for learning purposes, because that is the only reason I would use them, if I were to. However I have never in the past 3 years DLed replays from a tournament for any purpose. Many people are the same, and therefore have no purpose.
Refer to my post.
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
20:00
WardiTV Mondays #107
IntoTheiNu 1385
WardiTV980
OGKoka 264
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 264
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5198
Bisu 1929
Shuttle 906
Larva 697
BeSt 522
Stork 492
EffOrt 451
Horang2 399
actioN 288
Mini 262
[ Show more ]
Rush 245
Light 153
Mind 118
hero 109
Zeus 93
910 87
Snow 71
Sea.KH 62
Mong 61
Yoon 57
Barracks 55
Shinee 55
sorry 48
JYJ 43
ToSsGirL 30
Bale 27
Killer 25
Sexy 25
Aegong 22
HiyA 21
zelot 18
Terrorterran 15
yabsab 13
soO 12
scan(afreeca) 11
Free 9
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Gorgc5463
qojqva2613
Dendi1298
febbydoto37
Counter-Strike
fl0m3555
Fnx 637
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko456
Other Games
singsing2561
hiko966
B2W.Neo760
TKL 619
Livibee362
XBOCT265
Liquid`VortiX223
Hui .220
XaKoH 145
ceh9116
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream20
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 28
• mYiSmile116
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 32
• iopq 9
• FirePhoenix2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3076
• Jankos2152
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
41m
Replay Cast
7h 41m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 41m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
19h 41m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 8h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.