• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:56
CEST 16:56
KST 23:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War175.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202620Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11124 users

Liquid`Jinro Retires - Page 82

Forum Index > News
2320 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 80 81 82 83 84 117 Next
EpeenKingPrime
Profile Joined February 2012
Netherlands61 Posts
August 07 2012 11:18 GMT
#1621
On August 07 2012 19:58 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 07 2012 19:50 eFko wrote:
So sad to hear the non-korean legend go! But what actually made me to register and comment is the fact that I noticed that Jinro is into poker and is actually considering it as a valid "sport", or at least that is how I understood the farewell article...I want to comment just because I have been going in the exactly opposite direction...From Poker into Progaming (particularly SC2)! Why? That is exactly what I feel needs to be said...First, I want to mention that I played poker several years, quite a lot...At least 6 hours a day (sometimes longer if the coinflips went well)...I have played around 3k or 4k online tournaments and attended a lot of live events as well, with quite some success as I come from finacial industry (M.A. in Finance and Monetary Policy) and I do have a very solid mathematical and probability background...I'm an extremely hard working type of guy, with a solid hyperactivity issue and when I fall for something I tend to give it everything I can...That was the case with poker...I read incredible amounts of books, tried ridiculous amounts of strategies with one goal only. To become the best I could at Poker...Now, don't make me wrong, I did not stop playing it because I was a loser...Actually, I was rated as a shark very soon and overall I ended up in a very very solid plus, when I finally understood the game in "all its beauty"...First, I want to point at the reason WHY was poker actually invented...It's simple, it was a way for Wild-Wild West "Cowboys", who understood long term probability to make money of guys who didn't...Everyone familiar with poker knows that in some cases you can bet a sizeable amount on something, which does not happen very often, since it did not happen for insanely long amount of time and that probability of it happening is thus getting higher every turn, so it is already viable to risk...Particularly, Tom "Durrrr" Dwan's play is famous for this aspect. Actually that is how he got his nick...Duuuuuurrrr....:-D Now, to get to the point...Poker is not that hard of a game to learn...Quite the contrary, it is soooo easy....AND that is the main problem of it...If you have, let's say, 100 million active pro or half-pro players...U can expect a huge amount of this chunk to know the game very well...With extremely huge amount of poker literature u can expect almost anyone who read at least one Poker book to understand some maths and probabilities...And that's the biggest setback...With so many people knowing the game so well, it all gets down to coinflips...Well, since I could not set my goals lower than WSOP Champion, I thought extremely hard about how could anyone win WSOP...It is the biggest poker tournament with several thousand participants each year...AND believe me ALL of them know the game EXTREMELY well...So, by knowing this I got to a conclusion that in the end to win such an event you need to win at LEAST 10 (if not more) coinflip situations...NOW, run a Monte Carlo simulation to find out how often this happens (and how often this would happen to U in particular)!!!! Like if you win this, you can consider yourself being like the most luckiest person on the planet despite the "poker skill" you have! So after playing poker so much it all just got down to waiting for the conflip situations and how will they play out...I know that lotta pro's will say that they try to avoid coinflips, but that is actually all they can say...That they TRY to avoid them!...IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to avoid them the whole tournament!!! You will be forced by other players to take 'em even if you don't want to! The only other outcome is getting ripped to pieces by the pro's...

Omg...I need to stop writing...But that's just me everything as best as I can...So to wrap it up...If JINRO will be reading this, please get two books before falling entirely for poker! Both written by N.N.Taleb...1. Fooled by Randomness and 2. Black Swan...I don't want to spoil your excitement for the game, but I feel I need to let you know about this!

I wish u luck in anything you go for!

eFko

PS: Don't forget that there are plenty of new games coming out (check out MechWarrior Online for example :-P)!!! And as Richard Bach wrote in one of his books (When humanity finally recognizes that we do not need armies anymore, we will have to find a use for all those soldiers losing their jobs) What better way then locking our inbred warrior instincts into war games, which are harmless but also do not allow us to get too soft on our warrior genes.

I played poker more or less fulltime for a couple of years before I played SC2, I know poker fairly well.

Also, I'm not interested in tournaments, I've always prefered cash games.

One thing tho:
Show nested quote +
.Everyone familiar with poker knows that in some cases you can bet a sizeable amount on something, which does not happen very often, since it did not happen for insanely long amount of time and that probability of it happening is thus getting higher every turn

This is the exact opposite of how probability works... unless it's something like... the chance of drawing the ace of spades drawing cards 1 by 1 from a deck. If you've drawn 35 cards without getting it, the odds of drawing it on your next one will be better than it was on your previous, however if the deck is re-shuffled between every draw then you can not draw the ace of spades 10239012930192301293 times in a row and the chance of it happening the next time will still be 1/52, now and forever.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are saying. But in so far as poker is concerned, the probability of events do not fluctuate o.o

You're right Jinro, I read eFko's story agreeing on everything but the part that you just pointed out.
arChieSC2
Profile Joined December 2010
Spain162 Posts
August 07 2012 11:18 GMT
#1622
You made me a fan of this game, good luck man.
ProxyKnoxy
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom2576 Posts
August 07 2012 11:18 GMT
#1623
good luck in the future Jinro, sad to see you go but happy that you have a plan!
"Zealot try give mariners high five. Mariners not like high five and try hide and shoot zealot"
Chrono000
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Korea (South)358 Posts
August 07 2012 11:20 GMT
#1624
one of the only terrans i like. really to bad. i looked forward to seeing jinro play for a long long time.
Zorgaz
Profile Joined June 2010
Sweden2951 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-07 11:20:55
August 07 2012 11:20 GMT
#1625
You were my favorite player to watch for so long, you were the foreigners hope and your tear in the GSL won't be forgotten.

Best of luck in the future Jinro, keep on Jinrolling.
Furthermore, I think the Collosi should be removed! (Zorgaz -Terran/AbrA-Random/Zorg-Dota2) Guineapigs <3
An2quamaraN
Profile Joined March 2011
Poland379 Posts
August 07 2012 11:20 GMT
#1626
It's sad, but it's also the proof that when you actually DON'T enjoy the game, you won't post results.
ShotgunMike
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden241 Posts
August 07 2012 11:22 GMT
#1627
Great post, and good luck with the poker and whatever else comes your way! You have done good, and will be remembered as a great SC2 player!
Hot_Bid: "B10" - ThorZain: "BINGO" - Naniwa: "Apologize! ¤%#¤#&¤% Terran IMBA"
An2quamaraN
Profile Joined March 2011
Poland379 Posts
August 07 2012 11:22 GMT
#1628
On August 07 2012 20:08 cjin wrote:
Like some wise man once said: Leaving is not a sad thing after all - because it’s just the start to a new beginning.



This quote is also the reason why people break all kind of relationships so easily. And that's a sad thing.
PlaGuE_R
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
France1151 Posts
August 07 2012 11:24 GMT
#1629
Good Luck Jinro, we'll miss you!
TLO FIGHTING | me all in, he drone drone drone, me win - SK.MC | JINROLLED! | KraToss for the win
MeTStonedead
Profile Joined July 2011
Sweden8 Posts
August 07 2012 11:24 GMT
#1630
You are my favorite player of all time, even though the results haven't been shown the past year, i'ts very hard to no longer see you play StarCraft. This is a sad day for me, I wish you best of luck! Hoping for a glimse of you sometime! Jinro <3

Lycka till Jonathan!
IcookTacos
Profile Joined December 2011
Sweden295 Posts
August 07 2012 11:24 GMT
#1631
Oh god, I knew this was gonna happened. But when It actually did, It was sadder than I thought.

Vi kommer att sakna dig Jonathan!

GL&HF!
Life | Ryung | Mvp | MarineKing | Jaedong | Bisu | HerO
Svenoob
Profile Joined January 2012
France10 Posts
August 07 2012 11:28 GMT
#1632
Bye Jinro, best of luck in the future ! T T
Cokefreak
Profile Joined June 2011
Finland8096 Posts
August 07 2012 11:28 GMT
#1633
Good luck with whatever you wish to pursue in the future Jinro!
forsakeNXE
Profile Joined October 2011
Germany539 Posts
August 07 2012 11:29 GMT
#1634
Good Luck in the future, Jinro, hope you'll find what you are looking for, whatever that will be
Let's learn together!
th3_great
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom429 Posts
August 07 2012 11:31 GMT
#1635
yours were the first games i saw when i started watching professional sc2 back in winter 2010, and for that you'll always have a special in my heart.

good luck in the future buddy, its sad to see you go.
did you read the script?
imPermanenCe
Profile Joined July 2011
Netherlands595 Posts
August 07 2012 11:31 GMT
#1636
You better keep moderating these forums, right?!
Micro at its best is like an elegant dance between two people trying to achieve a similar end.
Holloworb
Profile Joined November 2011
Norway345 Posts
August 07 2012 11:32 GMT
#1637
Wish you all the best in the future Jinro! Im not sure I would've gotten hooked on SC2 if it hadn't been for your play in the early GSL.

I hope in time you'll feel more proud of your accomplishments than you seem here, you did some great things.

gghf
razzer
Profile Joined February 2011
United States28 Posts
August 07 2012 11:32 GMT
#1638
T_T so sad. always loved jinro. i remember watching him in the earl days of sc2. good luck in the future jinro!
Boundz(DarKo)
Profile Joined March 2009
5311 Posts
August 07 2012 11:33 GMT
#1639
Tack för dina games Jinro. Fett kul att följa dig!

Best of luck in the future
B.I.G.
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
3251 Posts
August 07 2012 11:34 GMT
#1640
gg jinro, thx for showing the world that koreans werent untouchable
Prev 1 80 81 82 83 84 117 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 4m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
LamboSC2 402
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 38139
Calm 7285
Bisu 2487
Rain 1431
Jaedong 1036
Horang2 605
BeSt 572
Rush 412
Soma 385
Larva 335
[ Show more ]
Stork 323
Light 281
Zeus 193
ZerO 190
Snow 172
Mind 137
Free 107
910 103
Barracks 82
Killer 60
Sea.KH 50
Mong 48
Hyun 45
Shinee 35
Trap 32
ToSsGirL 31
Terrorterran 28
Pusan 23
Hm[arnc] 21
Bale 21
Rock 20
Aegong 20
sorry 20
Sexy 13
Sacsri 10
Noble 8
Dota 2
Gorgc8580
XaKoH 435
Counter-Strike
fl0m4108
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes488
Other Games
gofns34418
singsing2313
B2W.Neo774
hiko482
Lowko355
Mlord333
Hui .184
Livibee170
DeMusliM158
mouzStarbuck135
djWHEAT112
RotterdaM91
QueenE66
Trikslyr66
Mew2King65
ToD58
KnowMe40
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile110
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix17
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis4221
• Jankos2392
• TFBlade669
Other Games
• Shiphtur283
Upcoming Events
OSC
8h 4m
Big Brain Bouts
19h 4m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 2h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 4h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 19h
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.