• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:41
CEST 11:41
KST 18:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War445.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9541 users

[LiquidParty] DotA2 Learning Group ^.^ - Page 23

Forum Index > LoL General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 57 Next
While this thread is labeled "DotA2", this is in fact a community thread first. Many of the users in the TL LoL subforum have been playing as friends for over a year now, so it makes logical sense that they would want to play other games together.

Do not compare DotA2 to LoL, you will get banned.

TL LoL veterans know what is expected. Newcomers be warned.

gl hf
Haasts
Profile Joined October 2011
New Zealand4445 Posts
August 23 2012 11:30 GMT
#441
Right, got an invite to this, but yeesh it's been ages since I've played anything through (a) Steam & (b) that isn't League of Legends; had difficulty figuring out how to turn sound off in the lobby. Fingers crossed I'll brave the Dota2 waters in the upcoming week.
PaniaoftheReef in Path of Exile TotA SSF SC // Lovelin fanclub // GreenTea #1
Goshawk.
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United Kingdom5338 Posts
August 23 2012 11:54 GMT
#442
On August 23 2012 20:30 Haasts wrote:
Right, got an invite to this, but yeesh it's been ages since I've played anything through (a) Steam & (b) that isn't League of Legends; had difficulty figuring out how to turn sound off in the lobby. Fingers crossed I'll brave the Dota2 waters in the upcoming week.


If you go into options (the cog in top left) then you can change the audio settings. You need to turn music off for it to be off in lobby, but you will need to turn it back up once you get in game if you want music in game.
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
August 23 2012 20:33 GMT
#443
On August 23 2012 20:30 Haasts wrote:
Right, got an invite to this, but yeesh it's been ages since I've played anything through (a) Steam & (b) that isn't League of Legends; had difficulty figuring out how to turn sound off in the lobby. Fingers crossed I'll brave the Dota2 waters in the upcoming week.


Just drop by the channel and/or PM your steam ID so I can add you to the group. I gotta admit I'm mostly playing with guys I just message directly nowadays (hi Tyrran & T_D) but just bug us when we're logged into DotA if we suck about advertising our games. =P
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
August 24 2012 21:00 GMT
#444
Everyone should watch the International!

I'll probably be on vent or in Steam chat on Sunday and might try to live translate the Chinese commentary as best I can. Not sure if my schedule will let me during the week, but we'll see.
Moderator
Haasts
Profile Joined October 2011
New Zealand4445 Posts
August 29 2012 06:06 GMT
#445
Any particular matches you'd recommend from the International, Yango? I watched 3-4 VoDs casted by Tobi Wan (which let me pause to look up heroes during picks/bans), but there's still obviously a lot I don't understand (apart from getting sick of seeing Morphling in every match).

Also, I'm still slowly working my way through this thread and associated links - since I'm still figuring out controls (and if my decrepit laptop, on which I run LoL on fairly low settings, can handle DotA2 comfortably - the change in graphical style on v.low settings is taking some getting used to), could anyone recommend any productive/targeted "exercises" I could do in a self-created solo bot game that would help with basic mechanics?
PaniaoftheReef in Path of Exile TotA SSF SC // Lovelin fanclub // GreenTea #1
Qbek
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Poland12923 Posts
August 29 2012 07:13 GMT
#446
Only things you can practice in empty games is jungling and last hitting. I think most junglers are labeled as such in the game, so use the ingame hero filter to find them and see how it goes. You want to be constantly fighting creeps, never going back to base, using the courier for all your needs. Read up on stacking and pulling, it's crucial for jungling with many heroes. Last hitting practice would be getting a pretty much random hero, buying recommended starting items and then just sitting on bot lane, never putting a point in any skills and trying to get as much damage done to your own creeps and as little to enemy ones while getting all the last hits. You can push your own tower this way so tank the creepwave if you deny too hard, you don't want it under the tower. Heroes that are known for very hard lasthitting are shadow fiend(get a level of necromastery to make it realistic) Lina, Zeus, Cristal Maiden, Drow ranger. I also always fail to last hit with Slardar :C
This space left intentionally dank /)3(\ http://i.imgur.com/RmeEUcF.png
arnath
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1317 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-30 18:11:35
August 30 2012 18:11 GMT
#447
I would just play regular 5v5 bot games to try to learn how to play. The bots in DotA 2 are actually pretty good.
dnastyx
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States2707 Posts
August 30 2012 20:49 GMT
#448
I really really like the Burning build for AM.

1-1-1 in skills, then get stats until you're comfortable enough to last in lane. The cool thing about DK is that every single person on their team used to play Position 1, so they all know to give Burning as many chances to farm as possible. I'm going to start trying to play Position 1 heroes and get better at farming.

If you're looking for a primer on TI2 teams, here you go: http://esfiworld.com/feature/esfi-international-teams-primer

Games I really enjoyed from the prelims:

-Mouz vs M5, Game 2 hoooooooly shit HOOOOOOOOLY SHIT
-M5 vs CLG, Game 2 is really good and tense
-TongFu vs mTw is a stomp, but if you want to see some ridiculous items (11 min radiance, AC and Basher by 30min) then this is the game
-Orange vs TongFu is really back and forth. Yamateh buys MKB on Invoker to try to carry as hard as he fucking can.
-Orange vs Na'Vi, Game 2 has a few good swings and you get to see Clinkz duke it out with Morphling
-CLG vs Zenith, Game 2: Axe and Disruptor picks. Get in there.

Don't remember anything else off the top of my head.
WaveofShadow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada31495 Posts
August 30 2012 21:41 GMT
#449
Yeh I watched Mouz v M5 a couple days ago...those shackles man......
twitch.tv/waveofshadow ||| Winner of AHGL's So You Think You Can Cast! ||| Juicy Dad for lyfe ||| 'idk i get a kick out of stupid things' - Jarms Yarng
Haasts
Profile Joined October 2011
New Zealand4445 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-02 05:53:00
September 02 2012 05:52 GMT
#450
Anyone who posts in both subforums (TheYango?), any particularly valuable-for-beginner guides in the expanded Dota2 section? I don't have a feel for any of the posters who don't cross over with this community, etc, and for how quickly things fall out of date.

e.g. is this general support guide still relevant?

Also, regarding heroes who can viably jungle, do all of them involve secondary units (whether summons or converting/charming neutral creeps) and the attendant micro, or would e.g. Lifestealer's Warwick-esque sustain let you mindlessly right-click on things all by your lonesome at an acceptable speed?
PaniaoftheReef in Path of Exile TotA SSF SC // Lovelin fanclub // GreenTea #1
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
September 02 2012 06:04 GMT
#451
On September 02 2012 14:52 Haasts wrote:
e.g. is this general support guide still relevant?

That guide is fine. The only change I'd make is always try to have at least 1 support start with a smoke--but that's cuz I'm hella OCD about not wasting smoke CDs--smokes and wards don't restock in the shop when they're maxed out so it really bothers me when teams choose to not start with one. You only get 1 smoke every 12 minutes so not getting the CD to start right away is bad. At the level of pubs where people don't ward, they don't matter anyway.

On September 02 2012 14:52 Haasts wrote:
Also, regarding heroes who can viably jungle, do all of them involve secondary units (whether summons or converting/charming neutral creeps) and the attendant micro, or would e.g. Lifestealer's Warwick-esque sustain let you mindlessly right-click on things all by your lonesome at an acceptable speed?

Lifestealer and Bloodseeker can chokepoint jungle at an acceptable speed (basically you stack a camp, and then fight the creeps in a chokepoint where only 1 creep at a time can hit you). I don't really like it because if the enemy knows what you're doing and comes to kill you, you have no outs.
Moderator
Nehsb
Profile Joined May 2009
United States380 Posts
September 02 2012 06:35 GMT
#452
Is there a place to find good in-depth analysis of the international games? I'm thinking something like 2009's commentary (But I don't know where to find that, and I only know conversational Chinese, I don't know if I would be able to understand dota commentary in Chinese. But if there's nothing else, I could probably try.)

In particular, I'd be really fascinated to hear commentary of the draft. I got the impression that there was some absolutely brilliant drafting going on in the games, but I don't have the understanding of the game necessary to see the thought processes behind it. Haven't seen any drafting in LoL that gave me this impression (but maybe that's just because I don't understand LoL well enough either and good drafting doesn't get noticed as much in LoL.)
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-02 06:47:14
September 02 2012 06:40 GMT
#453
On September 02 2012 15:35 Nehsb wrote:
Is there a place to find good in-depth analysis of the international games? I'm thinking something like 2009's commentary (But I don't know where to find that, and I only know conversational Chinese, I don't know if I would be able to understand dota commentary in Chinese. But if there's nothing else, I could probably try.)

In particular, I'd be really fascinated to hear commentary of the draft. I got the impression that there was some absolutely brilliant drafting going on in the games, but I don't have the understanding of the game necessary to see the thought processes behind it. Haven't seen any drafting in LoL that gave me this impression (but maybe that's just because I don't understand LoL well enough either and good drafting doesn't get noticed as much in LoL.)

Gamefy/GTV/2009 should upload the games to their Youku channels once they return to China I believe. Not sure though.

All commentaries can also be heard in game by selecting the broadcaster "Sosa" for the main event games.

EDIT: Gamefy has a lot of the commentaries up already--http://u.youku.com/user_video/id_UMTAxMTA2MDY0_order_1_type_1_page_1.html
Moderator
Nehsb
Profile Joined May 2009
United States380 Posts
September 02 2012 06:59 GMT
#454
Thanks =)

Not used to the dota-specific Chinese, but still gleaning a lot of interesting things from the cast.
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-02 13:51:34
September 02 2012 13:48 GMT
#455
On September 02 2012 14:52 Haasts wrote:
Anyone who posts in both subforums (TheYango?), any particularly valuable-for-beginner guides in the expanded Dota2 section? I don't have a feel for any of the posters who don't cross over with this community, etc, and for how quickly things fall out of date.

e.g. is this general support guide still relevant?

Also, regarding heroes who can viably jungle, do all of them involve secondary units (whether summons or converting/charming neutral creeps) and the attendant micro, or would e.g. Lifestealer's Warwick-esque sustain let you mindlessly right-click on things all by your lonesome at an acceptable speed?


I'm currently working on cleaning up this OP for the DotA 2 section, gimme a day or two. Just use this one for now, it's probably one of the best compilations in terms of guides you can find at the moment.

Edit: About drafting, I tried to analyze the Na'Vi vs iG drafts in game #2 & #3 in this post here. It could be that I'm full of shit (if so you can bet that Yango will call me out for it and correct it =P) but I think I'm on the spot.
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
Chiharu Harukaze
Profile Joined September 2011
12112 Posts
September 02 2012 13:53 GMT
#456
TheYango and rTu make such gud posts. So useful. <3
It's like, "Is the Federation's Mobile Suit some kind of monster?"
gtrsrs
Profile Joined June 2010
United States9109 Posts
September 02 2012 16:20 GMT
#457
i have reached my limit of amount of games with leavers that i will play in league of legends today

so 2 questions

1- why can't i find centaur cheftain, is he in this game yet?
2- who wants to play some dota with me?
i play ... hearthstone =\^.^/= Winterfox
HPoirot
Profile Joined June 2011
United States1303 Posts
September 02 2012 16:43 GMT
#458
On September 03 2012 01:20 gtrsrs wrote:
i have reached my limit of amount of games with leavers that i will play in league of legends today

so 2 questions

1- why can't i find centaur cheftain, is he in this game yet?
2- who wants to play some dota with me?


Centaur was just in concept art stage when Valve froze hero releases for the International. There's at least 5 heroes who are likely to be released before him after the tournament ends.
r.Evo
Profile Joined August 2006
Germany14081 Posts
September 02 2012 17:34 GMT
#459
On September 03 2012 01:20 gtrsrs wrote:
i have reached my limit of amount of games with leavers that i will play in league of legends today

so 2 questions

1- why can't i find centaur cheftain, is he in this game yet?
2- who wants to play some dota with me?


We're all busy watching the international, once that is done at least I'll play more again. TOO MUCH DOTA TO WATCH T_T
"We don't make mistakes here, we call it happy little accidents." ~Bob Ross
Haasts
Profile Joined October 2011
New Zealand4445 Posts
September 02 2012 22:59 GMT
#460
Really fantastic analysis of the draft, r.Evo - any chance you have time to do that for G2/3 of the Na'Vi/LGD games from today? I'm finding it hard to switch back to watching TSM/Dignitas after the excitement of those few games (even if I could never figure out what e.g. when Leshrac was using his ultimate).
PaniaoftheReef in Path of Exile TotA SSF SC // Lovelin fanclub // GreenTea #1
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 57 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 19m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 233
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 698
Soulkey 327
Horang2 302
Mini 248
Zeus 234
Larva 221
Soma 177
Sexy 105
Mind 70
ZerO 66
[ Show more ]
Jaedong 53
soO 35
scan(afreeca) 24
sorry 22
ajuk12(nOOB) 18
Hyun 15
zelot 9
Dota 2
XcaliburYe275
canceldota24
League of Legends
JimRising 491
Other Games
gofns29404
singsing1791
Coldzera 707
Happy198
Pyrionflax141
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick677
BasetradeTV201
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 23
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2270
League of Legends
• Jankos2824
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
19m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
RotterdaM180
Online Event
2h 19m
AI Arena Tournament
7h 19m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
9h 19m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d
Patches Events
1d 5h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 9h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 9h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.