• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:27
CEST 08:27
KST 15:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8791 users

[HotS] Why I'll Keep Playing HotS

Forum Index > Heroes of the Storm
21 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 Next All

[HotS] Why I'll Keep Playing HotS

Text byTL.net ESPORTS
January 21st, 2019 20:26 GMT





Why I'll Keep Playing HotS



Written by: Midseasons



2018 was a promising, satisfying year for Heroes of the Storm…until December. By now we’ve all read the announcement post from Blizzard president J. Allen Brack, informing us that production is going to be scaled back and that HGC is cancelled entirely. But we had a follow-up post from Heroes director Kaéo Milker, which—while confirming that things are slowing down—is more in tune with the emotions of the Heroes of the Storm community. Milker’s post shows that the Heroes dev team is just as invested as the players are, and take the cuts just as hard.

In the weeks since those two posts, we’ve seen anger, denial, depression, and bargaining within the community. Now, as we move into 2019, we have one question left: what now? Nevermind the game itself for a moment—as people, as the community that formed around the game, what comes next for us?



That’s an incredibly personal question, and there’s no wrong answer. We’ve seen some redouble their commitment to the game, determined to stick with it and build up a community-based competitive scene to fill the esports void. We’ve seen others explore other games like League of Legends or Super Smash Bros. And we’ve even seen people publicly swear they will never play another Blizzard game again.

All of these reactions are valid. With such personal decisions, we can’t really judge others or their reasons. We all have to decide for ourselves.

Editorial voice aside, I can only speak for myself. Over the Christmas season, I was able to focus on searching my own feelings for just what I was going to do with Heroes. Now that Christmas is over, I’ve made my decision. And while I can’t be positive I’m making the correct decision, I’d still like to share it, and the thoughts that led me to it.

Heroes of the Storm has always been a passion project. Throughout its life, it’s been tangibly clear that the people making HotS were making a game that they enjoyed and wanted to play themselves. That was once the ethos behind every Blizzard game, and it remained true for Heroes even as the rest of the company shifted. While HotS never ended up being as popular or successful as we might have hoped it would be, it still showed that the people working on it loved the game and wanted us to love it too.



And I did, damn it. In 2014 I fell in love with Heroes of the Storm like few games before or since. I played more hours of HotS than I did of larger, more expensive games, and I convinced as many people as I could—a few dozen, over the years—to install and play it with me. It got me into Diablo, into StarCraft, and into any type of competitive experience at all after decades of being a PvE gamer. But emotionally investing in an online game is always a risk: none of them ever stay the same, and not even the dev team can always control the reasons why those games change. I learned all this the hard way, when I was younger; before the Storm, the game I loved the most had been City of Heroes. A classic, comic book-styled MMO, City of Heroes was abruptly shut down by NCSoft—to the dismay of the actual development team at Paragon Studios.

Just like Paragon Studios, the dev team behind Heroes of the Storm was caught off guard like the rest of us. Planned updates and announced content might not see the light, and some of the devs—we have no way of knowing how many—have been moved to other projects. It’s a shocking way for Blizzard to publicly treat its employees and contractors, and I don’t blame those who have sworn never to give the company another cent. For my part, I’ve uninstalled World of Warcraft, StarCraft, and Diablo from my PC; I’ve got enough IRL friends who play Overwatch that I’m keeping it installed for now, but I haven’t actually launched it yet.

I haven’t uninstalled Heroes of the Storm. And I have launched it throughout December. It was a test at first to see if the game would still be enjoyable in light of the news, and in the heat of an actual match, it is. Everything that makes it a good game is still there. Can you believe how fun the Stitches rework is?



Heroes of the Storm was made by people who love it just as much as I do. Look at the number of front-facing people on the team who were active and known to us as players. The HotS team has had people like Dustin Browder, Alan Dabiri, Kevin Michael Johnson, Lana Bachynski, Alex Klontzas, Oscar Vega, Kaéo Milker…

The HotS team has put so much of themselves into the game that they’re on a first-name basis with the community. In Johnson’s case—who literally has been put into the game as an announcer pack—that’s even been an invitation. As his role in HotS team has grown, Johnson has used his handle “Cloaken” less and less, and goes simply by Kevin. His voice pack in the game is labeled simply Kevin Announcer, carrying that familiarity into the match with us. “See, I told you I’d see you in the Nexus,” says the announcer, and it feels as though our friend Kevin is there enjoying Heroes of the Storm right along with us.

Whether past or present, the people who’ve worked on HotS have been vocal about it and how they feel about it. It was their job, of course, and just like any job it couldn’t and shouldn’t last forever. All of these people were, at some point, going to work on something after HotS. And their new projects are going to benefit from that same passion.

But did it have to be like this? The surprise announcement isn’t what we wanted as a community, and it’s probably not what they wanted to hear as a development team. Still, when it comes back to the question of what now?, this tweet from Alex Klontzas sums things up well for me.

As a kid who grew up spending countless hours playing Blizzard games, all I ever wanted was to be part of something that you’d think back on and would stay with you forever. They made me who I am today and I hope that Heroes of the Storm was, and will be that kind of game for you

— Alex Klontzas (@azgaz) December 14, 2018



I don’t blame anyone for resenting Blizzard or uninstalling HotS. Certainly the abandoned HGC players are entirely justified. Everyone makes their own decisions, based on what’s best for their own lives. I don’t think that I somehow loved Heroes of the Storm more than anyone else does, but I’ve decided that I will continue loving Heroes, not just for my sake but for the sake of the HotS team that worked so hard on it.

The decision higher up on the Activision-Blizzard ladder clearly hurt the dev team from above. As a player, I don’t want to further hurt them from below. There are people who made this game, even if their names aren’t as known as the ones I mentioned above—who put their passion into making it loveable. Maybe they didn’t want to leave it yet, or not in this way. But regardless of how voluntarily they moved on, they should be proud of their work. They wouldn’t want the game they loved to be remembered bitterly.

Heroes of the Storm changed my life—I’ve met so many people because of it, been opened up to so many new worlds. And while it may be slowing down, it’s still there. You can’t play City of Heroes at all anymore.



I do not trust Blizzard Entertainment, and I will likely not be excited for any of their games in the future. But I’m going to keep playing Heroes of the Storm until the day they turn the servers off. And when it eventually ends, I’ve made the deliberate decision to not have regrets. Maybe that’s a foolish decision, but it’s the one I’ve made.

I’ll see you in Quick Match.





If you enjoyed this piece, check out our latest articles:


Top 5 GOAT: Team Edition
A Look Into the Nexus Contest
Life Outside the HGC: Taiwan and SEA
CBHotS Paving the Way for LatAm
Life Beyond HGC: An Offseason Update





Writer(s): Midseasons
Editor(s): EsportsJohn
Formatting: EsportsJohn
Design: shiroiusagi
Art Credit: Blizzard


Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
remindbg
Profile Joined July 2018
2 Posts
January 21 2019 22:17 GMT
#2
No thanks
konadora *
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Singapore66365 Posts
January 22 2019 02:38 GMT
#3
not a big follower of HotS but i do enjoy watching/playing it sometimes. why did they pull the plug on HGC though?
POGGERS
Woosixion
Profile Joined February 2012
121 Posts
January 22 2019 04:29 GMT
#4
On January 22 2019 11:38 konadora wrote:
not a big follower of HotS but i do enjoy watching/playing it sometimes. why did they pull the plug on HGC though?


Because at this point it's become painfully obvious to Blizzard that HotS will never be anywhere near as popular/profitable as LoL or Dota2, no matter what they do, so they've decided to cut their losses.
the only way out is through...
EsportsJohn
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States4883 Posts
January 22 2019 05:10 GMT
#5
On January 22 2019 13:29 Woosixion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2019 11:38 konadora wrote:
not a big follower of HotS but i do enjoy watching/playing it sometimes. why did they pull the plug on HGC though?


Because at this point it's become painfully obvious to Blizzard that HotS will never be anywhere near as popular/profitable as LoL or Dota2, no matter what they do, so they've decided to cut their losses.


This is a really oversimplified point, but it's more or less correct. Blizzard pumped ~$5-6 million into HGC the first year and ~$10 million into it the second year and never saw any significant increase in viewership or sponsorship. The monetization of the league was terrible, with Blizzard likely fronting almost all of the costs, including player salaries (calculated to ~$15k-20k per year per player for close to 150 players) and all production costs. The whole system was incredibly dysfunctional...ownership slots were bungled horribly, the league paid for literally everything, and Blizzard, on multiple occasions, made it difficult or impossible for new brands to join the league with a sponsorship.

The bottom line, however, is that Heroes of the Storm is not a significantly popular game. Blizzard can't throw millions of dollars at it like Riot did for League of Legends and expect it to be sustainable. The player base is minuscule compared to LoL and Dota, partly because Blizzard was late to the party in the MOBA world and partly because the game lacks scaling skill levels to separate good and bad players (AKA design issues). Hero bans didn't even exist until 2 years into the game's existence.

It would have been possible for HotS to have a successful Blizzard-sponsored league if it hadn't been poorly implemented. Blizzard pumped in way more money than they ought to have in order to artificially create an esports scene that could not exist without that money, and in light of budget cuts, they could not retain that esports scene on a reduced budget. The difference between a league with almost no broadcast time, no more player salaries, and significantly reduced prize pools is the same as nixing it altogether.

As a side note, OWL is on the same trajectory. Despite a fairly steady first season, the player and viewer base is becoming stale. Eventually the lack of results after such a significant allocation of resources will force them to downsize considerably. But at least they somehow suckered multiple orgs to pay them a shitton of money to sustain the league for another year or two.
StrategyAllyssa Grey <3<3
Kuroeeah
Profile Blog Joined February 2013
11696 Posts
January 22 2019 07:49 GMT
#6
I think people can agree or disagree about HOTS as a game. I went from disliking the game from it’s beta to growing warm to it with quests and heroes. Have I stuck with the game like I did with League or DotA? Nah but what I will say for HOTS is that I do feel the game is easier to return to just for a quick match when you compare it to it’s competitors. They kept adding to the game, whether the ideas were good or bad, the developers of the game were vocal, relatively easy to talk to (through online channels or in person) and I felt the small tight knit community HOTS had the devs and their player base a stronger relationship than their other games.

Anyone that looked at the game probably could have told you HGC was never ever going to touch DotA or League. I’m curious if the twitch viewership was so bad that it matched SC2 during it’s low point (Maybe 5k viewers?)

The super immature part of me wants Overwatch League to crash. I have nothing but contempt with the way Blizzard their e-sports across the board. They have this “me too” philosophy where they see Riot and want to jump on the band wagon.

I’m not big into Overwatch so I don’t know too much about it outside of watching some OWL games in the beginning of it’s first season and briefly enjoying it because nothing else was on in Twitch. There’s practically no story line in OWL in both the teams and it’s players. Every big e-sport has a big name. Maru or Serral for SC2, Dendi or Arteezy for DotA, Faker for League but who’s the equivalent for OWL? It feels like Blizzard plastered this idea of making “home” teams just for the artificial purpose of people to cheer for whatever they’re most local to. Probably very wrong here though but would still love to know..

Anyway I digress. I hate the way Blizzard just dropped HOTS. It probably makes a lot of sense financially but the it was handled was done in the worst possible way ever if you remotely liked HOTS. I sort of want OWL to fail, not because I bear any ill will towards the game or the people that follow it. I want it to fail because Blizzard needs a hard lesson that their general bandwagon attitude towards e-sports (imo) is pretty disgusting.
MarianoSC2
Profile Joined June 2015
Slovakia1855 Posts
January 22 2019 08:05 GMT
#7
Oh I thought this was about Heart of the Swarm. The good old days... NVM
Top 11: Rogue, Maru, Inno, Zest, Life, sOs, Stats, Dark, soO, Mvp, Classic/Trap/MC/Rain
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33705 Posts
January 22 2019 19:43 GMT
#8
On January 22 2019 17:05 MarianoSC2 wrote:
Oh I thought this was about Heart of the Swarm. The good old days... NVM


granted, a lot of people DO miss the TvZ dynamic from heart of the swarm...
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
January 22 2019 20:32 GMT
#9
On January 22 2019 17:05 MarianoSC2 wrote:
Oh I thought this was about Heart of the Swarm. The good old days... NVM

This is a bit odd seeing as no one really cares about older expansions and this is the heroes part of the forum. Makes me wonder if one posted before reading

All in good fun ^^
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
hairswigs
Profile Joined January 2019
United States2 Posts
January 23 2019 02:31 GMT
#10
--- Nuked ---
Charoisaur
Profile Joined August 2014
Germany16100 Posts
January 23 2019 10:34 GMT
#11
On January 22 2019 17:05 MarianoSC2 wrote:
Oh I thought this was about Heart of the Swarm. The good old days... NVM

That would be odd considering you can't even play Heart of the Swarm anymore.
Many of the coolest moments in sc2 happen due to worker harassment
figq
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
12519 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-24 02:22:16
January 24 2019 02:11 GMT
#12
HotS is not automatically dead since Blizz is not making a championship, or since it won't be as big as LoL or Dota. It's still a game with a fanbase larger than many other active games. If anything the move by Blizzard just proves that organizing their world championships costs a shit ton of money for them and is a huge investment. So my admiration to them for still doing those for the other games.

EDIT: I'm gonna throw this in just to make people angry ^^. (But really it's just a good comparison to prove the point that the game is not dead.) Here it goes: I bet HotS still has bigger active player base than Broodwar globally. And Blizzard is not hosting their own world championship for BW either. Is BW dead because of that? Far from it!

Disclaimer: Personally, I haven't played much HotS, but I don't play any mobas regularly. So I believe my point can be objective enough, since I don't feel invested in HotS at all. I still can acknowledge its worth.
If you stand next to my head, you can hear the ocean. - Day[9]
EsportsJohn
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States4883 Posts
January 24 2019 11:02 GMT
#13
On January 22 2019 16:49 Kuroeeah wrote:
I think people can agree or disagree about HOTS as a game. I went from disliking the game from it’s beta to growing warm to it with quests and heroes. Have I stuck with the game like I did with League or DotA? Nah but what I will say for HOTS is that I do feel the game is easier to return to just for a quick match when you compare it to it’s competitors. They kept adding to the game, whether the ideas were good or bad, the developers of the game were vocal, relatively easy to talk to (through online channels or in person) and I felt the small tight knit community HOTS had the devs and their player base a stronger relationship than their other games.

Anyone that looked at the game probably could have told you HGC was never ever going to touch DotA or League. I’m curious if the twitch viewership was so bad that it matched SC2 during it’s low point (Maybe 5k viewers?)

The super immature part of me wants Overwatch League to crash. I have nothing but contempt with the way Blizzard their e-sports across the board. They have this “me too” philosophy where they see Riot and want to jump on the band wagon.

I’m not big into Overwatch so I don’t know too much about it outside of watching some OWL games in the beginning of it’s first season and briefly enjoying it because nothing else was on in Twitch. There’s practically no story line in OWL in both the teams and it’s players. Every big e-sport has a big name. Maru or Serral for SC2, Dendi or Arteezy for DotA, Faker for League but who’s the equivalent for OWL? It feels like Blizzard plastered this idea of making “home” teams just for the artificial purpose of people to cheer for whatever they’re most local to. Probably very wrong here though but would still love to know..

Anyway I digress. I hate the way Blizzard just dropped HOTS. It probably makes a lot of sense financially but the it was handled was done in the worst possible way ever if you remotely liked HOTS. I sort of want OWL to fail, not because I bear any ill will towards the game or the people that follow it. I want it to fail because Blizzard needs a hard lesson that their general bandwagon attitude towards e-sports (imo) is pretty disgusting.


Viewership was holding fairly steady throughout 2018 at 5-10k concurrent viewers for NA/EU, a little more for big matches like DIG vs Fnatic or some of the early games in the season. The finals of Mid-Season Brawl and BlizzCon were 20k+. Not anywhere close to LoL/Dota numbers, but it wasn't necessarily bad; it just didn't grow over 2 years.


On January 24 2019 11:11 figq wrote:
HotS is not automatically dead since Blizz is not making a championship, or since it won't be as big as LoL or Dota. It's still a game with a fanbase larger than many other active games. If anything the move by Blizzard just proves that organizing their world championships costs a shit ton of money for them and is a huge investment. So my admiration to them for still doing those for the other games.

EDIT: I'm gonna throw this in just to make people angry ^^. (But really it's just a good comparison to prove the point that the game is not dead.) Here it goes: I bet HotS still has bigger active player base than Broodwar globally. And Blizzard is not hosting their own world championship for BW either. Is BW dead because of that? Far from it!

Disclaimer: Personally, I haven't played much HotS, but I don't play any mobas regularly. So I believe my point can be objective enough, since I don't feel invested in HotS at all. I still can acknowledge its worth.


I'm not sure that Heroes of the Storm will have a burgeoning pro scene now that HGC is gone. A large part of the community is casual, the game is designed to be casual, and there is very little investment interest in the esport after Blizzard destroyed it. In comparison, games like StarCraft are kind of built on the competitive aspect. Still a fun game though, and Blizzard is still developing it.

StrategyAllyssa Grey <3<3
EsportsJohn
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States4883 Posts
January 24 2019 11:04 GMT
#14
On January 23 2019 04:43 Waxangel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2019 17:05 MarianoSC2 wrote:
Oh I thought this was about Heart of the Swarm. The good old days... NVM


granted, a lot of people DO miss the TvZ dynamic from heart of the swarm...


Maybe a lot of Terrans. Speaking as a Zerg player, I do not
StrategyAllyssa Grey <3<3
konadora *
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Singapore66365 Posts
January 25 2019 06:55 GMT
#15
On January 22 2019 14:10 EsportsJohn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2019 13:29 Woosixion wrote:
On January 22 2019 11:38 konadora wrote:
not a big follower of HotS but i do enjoy watching/playing it sometimes. why did they pull the plug on HGC though?


Because at this point it's become painfully obvious to Blizzard that HotS will never be anywhere near as popular/profitable as LoL or Dota2, no matter what they do, so they've decided to cut their losses.


This is a really oversimplified point, but it's more or less correct. Blizzard pumped ~$5-6 million into HGC the first year and ~$10 million into it the second year and never saw any significant increase in viewership or sponsorship. The monetization of the league was terrible, with Blizzard likely fronting almost all of the costs, including player salaries (calculated to ~$15k-20k per year per player for close to 150 players) and all production costs. The whole system was incredibly dysfunctional...ownership slots were bungled horribly, the league paid for literally everything, and Blizzard, on multiple occasions, made it difficult or impossible for new brands to join the league with a sponsorship.

The bottom line, however, is that Heroes of the Storm is not a significantly popular game. Blizzard can't throw millions of dollars at it like Riot did for League of Legends and expect it to be sustainable. The player base is minuscule compared to LoL and Dota, partly because Blizzard was late to the party in the MOBA world and partly because the game lacks scaling skill levels to separate good and bad players (AKA design issues). Hero bans didn't even exist until 2 years into the game's existence.

It would have been possible for HotS to have a successful Blizzard-sponsored league if it hadn't been poorly implemented. Blizzard pumped in way more money than they ought to have in order to artificially create an esports scene that could not exist without that money, and in light of budget cuts, they could not retain that esports scene on a reduced budget. The difference between a league with almost no broadcast time, no more player salaries, and significantly reduced prize pools is the same as nixing it altogether.

As a side note, OWL is on the same trajectory. Despite a fairly steady first season, the player and viewer base is becoming stale. Eventually the lack of results after such a significant allocation of resources will force them to downsize considerably. But at least they somehow suckered multiple orgs to pay them a shitton of money to sustain the league for another year or two.

thanks for the detailed explanation!
POGGERS
Odoakar
Profile Joined May 2010
Croatia1838 Posts
January 26 2019 10:49 GMT
#16
Yes, let's show the ActiBlizz that no matter how hard they fuck us, we will still support their products and will keep on playing and possibly spending money on it.

Classic stockholme syndrome 101.

I'd never even start a HotS anymore as a matter of principle.
Odoakar
Profile Joined May 2010
Croatia1838 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-26 10:58:42
January 26 2019 10:56 GMT
#17
On January 22 2019 14:10 EsportsJohn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2019 13:29 Woosixion wrote:
On January 22 2019 11:38 konadora wrote:
not a big follower of HotS but i do enjoy watching/playing it sometimes. why did they pull the plug on HGC though?


Because at this point it's become painfully obvious to Blizzard that HotS will never be anywhere near as popular/profitable as LoL or Dota2, no matter what they do, so they've decided to cut their losses.


This is a really oversimplified point, but it's more or less correct. Blizzard pumped ~$5-6 million into HGC the first year and ~$10 million into it the second year and never saw any significant increase in viewership or sponsorship. The monetization of the league was terrible, with Blizzard likely fronting almost all of the costs, including player salaries (calculated to ~$15k-20k per year per player for close to 150 players) and all production costs. The whole system was incredibly dysfunctional...ownership slots were bungled horribly, the league paid for literally everything, and Blizzard, on multiple occasions, made it difficult or impossible for new brands to join the league with a sponsorship.


But who is the blame for this? This is not a matter of 'oh poor ol' blizzard tried, but the gamers just didn't commit'.

We asked multiple times for crowdfunding tournaments. We asked multiple times to provide team specific mtxs with cut of profits going towards teams.

Community figures provided countless feedback to the game. Hell, they even flew pros to Summit where pros would directly tell them what needs to be changed, and then a year later you would hear from those pros that not one suggestion was implemented.

Then they introduce 2.0 and lose 70% of sales because who the fuck would by something just to get stupid tints, banners, emojis and so on. Pre 2.0 I was spending a lot of money on stims and premium skins for my favorite heroes. Than they brilliantly remove the option of buying the skins you want but start giving you 'free' skins for heroes that you don't play.

Then the OW speed meta cancer starts.

Then they start moving away from their original gameplay vision and start doing awful hero reworks, laning changes, xp changes and so on.

And for some reason, they were unable to produce a good map ever since Infernal Shrines and BoE.

There's only Blizzard to fault for running this game to the ground. Players gave them more than enough chances to succeed.

I fully agree with the part of Blizzard artificially creating esport scene and going towards a crash with OW that will destroy many naive orgs that bought spots in the OWL.

Richard Lewis nailed it here:
EsportsJohn
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States4883 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-26 20:14:11
January 26 2019 20:11 GMT
#18
On January 26 2019 19:56 Odoakar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2019 14:10 EsportsJohn wrote:
On January 22 2019 13:29 Woosixion wrote:
On January 22 2019 11:38 konadora wrote:
not a big follower of HotS but i do enjoy watching/playing it sometimes. why did they pull the plug on HGC though?


Because at this point it's become painfully obvious to Blizzard that HotS will never be anywhere near as popular/profitable as LoL or Dota2, no matter what they do, so they've decided to cut their losses.


This is a really oversimplified point, but it's more or less correct. Blizzard pumped ~$5-6 million into HGC the first year and ~$10 million into it the second year and never saw any significant increase in viewership or sponsorship. The monetization of the league was terrible, with Blizzard likely fronting almost all of the costs, including player salaries (calculated to ~$15k-20k per year per player for close to 150 players) and all production costs. The whole system was incredibly dysfunctional...ownership slots were bungled horribly, the league paid for literally everything, and Blizzard, on multiple occasions, made it difficult or impossible for new brands to join the league with a sponsorship.


But who is the blame for this? This is not a matter of 'oh poor ol' blizzard tried, but the gamers just didn't commit'.

We asked multiple times for crowdfunding tournaments. We asked multiple times to provide team specific mtxs with cut of profits going towards teams.

Community figures provided countless feedback to the game. Hell, they even flew pros to Summit where pros would directly tell them what needs to be changed, and then a year later you would hear from those pros that not one suggestion was implemented.

Then they introduce 2.0 and lose 70% of sales because who the fuck would by something just to get stupid tints, banners, emojis and so on. Pre 2.0 I was spending a lot of money on stims and premium skins for my favorite heroes. Than they brilliantly remove the option of buying the skins you want but start giving you 'free' skins for heroes that you don't play.

Then the OW speed meta cancer starts.

Then they start moving away from their original gameplay vision and start doing awful hero reworks, laning changes, xp changes and so on.

And for some reason, they were unable to produce a good map ever since Infernal Shrines and BoE.

There's only Blizzard to fault for running this game to the ground. Players gave them more than enough chances to succeed.

I fully agree with the part of Blizzard artificially creating esport scene and going towards a crash with OW that will destroy many naive orgs that bought spots in the OWL.

Richard Lewis nailed it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZdHDsxykQ8


I never said that Blizzard wasn't to blame. I've seen that clip before and totally agree with it...I just wish I had realized Heroes was a dud in 2014 when he did. This is also quite good:

StrategyAllyssa Grey <3<3
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
February 03 2019 01:49 GMT
#19
On January 22 2019 14:10 EsportsJohn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2019 13:29 Woosixion wrote:
On January 22 2019 11:38 konadora wrote:
not a big follower of HotS but i do enjoy watching/playing it sometimes. why did they pull the plug on HGC though?


Because at this point it's become painfully obvious to Blizzard that HotS will never be anywhere near as popular/profitable as LoL or Dota2, no matter what they do, so they've decided to cut their losses.


This is a really oversimplified point, but it's more or less correct. Blizzard pumped ~$5-6 million into HGC the first year and ~$10 million into it the second year and never saw any significant increase in viewership or sponsorship. The monetization of the league was terrible, with Blizzard likely fronting almost all of the costs, including player salaries (calculated to ~$15k-20k per year per player for close to 150 players) and all production costs. The whole system was incredibly dysfunctional...ownership slots were bungled horribly, the league paid for literally everything, and Blizzard, on multiple occasions, made it difficult or impossible for new brands to join the league with a sponsorship.

The bottom line, however, is that Heroes of the Storm is not a significantly popular game. Blizzard can't throw millions of dollars at it like Riot did for League of Legends and expect it to be sustainable. The player base is minuscule compared to LoL and Dota, partly because Blizzard was late to the party in the MOBA world and partly because the game lacks scaling skill levels to separate good and bad players (AKA design issues). Hero bans didn't even exist until 2 years into the game's existence.

It would have been possible for HotS to have a successful Blizzard-sponsored league if it hadn't been poorly implemented. Blizzard pumped in way more money than they ought to have in order to artificially create an esports scene that could not exist without that money, and in light of budget cuts, they could not retain that esports scene on a reduced budget. The difference between a league with almost no broadcast time, no more player salaries, and significantly reduced prize pools is the same as nixing it altogether.

As a side note, OWL is on the same trajectory. Despite a fairly steady first season, the player and viewer base is becoming stale. Eventually the lack of results after such a significant allocation of resources will force them to downsize considerably. But at least they somehow suckered multiple orgs to pay them a shitton of money to sustain the league for another year or two.


As simple of a point as it is they were never going to compete with Dota or LoL.
Harris1st
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany7420 Posts
February 04 2019 13:27 GMT
#20
I just bought a new PC and I will not install HotS anymore....

It was a nice ride, we had some good times and some bad times but in the end it was worth it.

Goodbye HotS!

Go Serral! GG EZ for Ence. Flashbang dance FTW
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 33m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Larva 455
Hyuk 275
Leta 227
Hyun 93
Hm[arnc] 33
ZergMaN 12
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm240
League of Legends
JimRising 814
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King83
Other Games
summit1g8704
WinterStarcraft523
Nina104
ArmadaUGS64
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick821
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream123
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2301
League of Legends
• Rush1416
• Lourlo1150
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3h 33m
INu's Battles
5h 33m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
8h 33m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
12h 33m
BSL Open Qualifier
12h 33m
Replay Cast
16h 33m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 3h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 4h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 9h
Replay Cast
1d 16h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.