• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:06
CEST 23:06
KST 06:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12751 users

[Psychology] Overconfidence

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
azndsh
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States4447 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-30 15:20:41
July 30 2009 15:13 GMT
#1
It is a well-known fact in that people tend to think that they know more than they really do. Lots of psychology experiments have shown this. But really, it's a lot more to find out for yourself just how overconfident we human beings tend to be.

Self-Test of Overconfidence
For each of the following, give a 90% confidence interval (an upper and lower bound). That is to say, you should be confident enough in your interval that you would take a 9:1 bet that the actual number is between the range you give (or take a 1 to 9 bet that the actual number is outside your range). Write down or record what your ranges are before looking at the answers so that you don't cheat.

1.) Martin Luther King's age at death
2.) Length of the Nile River (in miles)
3.) Number of countries in OPEC
4.) Number of books in the Old Testament
5.) Diameter of the moon (in miles)
6.) Weight of an empty Boeing 747 (in pounds)
7.) Year in which Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was born
8.) Gestation period of an Asian elephant (in days)
9.) Air distance from London to Tokyo (in miles)
10.) Deepest known point in the ocean (in feet)

+ Show Spoiler +
Answers:
1.) 39 Years
2.) 4,187 Miles
3.) 13 Countries
4.) 39 Books
5.) 2160 Miles
6.) 390,000 Pounds
7.) 1756
8.) 645 Days
9.) 5,959 Miles
10.) 36,198 Feet

Source: http://www.amazon.com/Decision-Traps-Barriers-Decision-Making-Overcome/dp/0671726099

Give yourself a point for each range that contained the actual value. If your confidence in your intervals were really 90%, that means on average at least 9 of your answers should be right. In previous experiments and surveys, this happens about 1% of the time or less. Are you surprised at your result?

[image loading]

Poll: How many did you get right?
(Vote): 10
(Vote): 9
(Vote): 8
(Vote): 7
(Vote): 6
(Vote): 5
(Vote): 4
(Vote): 3
(Vote): 2
(Vote): 1
(Vote): 0
Boblion
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
France8043 Posts
July 30 2009 15:18 GMT
#2

0 and 0 lol
fuck all those elitists brb watching streams of elite players.
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21248 Posts
July 30 2009 15:20 GMT
#3
Uhm, you didn't actually limit us. So I could do 1 - 1000000 for all my intervals...?
TranslatorBaa!
azndsh
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States4447 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-30 15:22:31
July 30 2009 15:21 GMT
#4
if that's how much self-confidence you honestly have, then technically yes... would you also be willing to take a 1 to 9 bet that any of your answers are wrong though?
Eniram
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
Sudan3166 Posts
July 30 2009 15:27 GMT
#5
A lot of these questions I have ABSOLUTELY no idea so I don't have confidence in my answer at all
You can like take a newb to like water, but you cant like make a newb drink. Ya know? - Jeremy
azndsh
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States4447 Posts
July 30 2009 15:31 GMT
#6
If you have no idea, then just put a really wide range
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21248 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-30 15:33:53
July 30 2009 15:32 GMT
#7
Wow I totally forgot that 90% confidence interval. Sorry, it's late D:

(Never did pay attention in stats :D)

Doing them now...

edit: 8. Damn you Nile and elephants.
TranslatorBaa!
Eniram
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
Sudan3166 Posts
July 30 2009 15:32 GMT
#8
On July 31 2009 00:31 azndsh wrote:
If you have no idea, then just put a really wide range

I think I'll just put 1 to a million for all of them
You can like take a newb to like water, but you cant like make a newb drink. Ya know? - Jeremy
Strayline
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States330 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-30 15:38:13
July 30 2009 15:37 GMT
#9
On July 31 2009 00:20 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
Uhm, you didn't actually limit us. So I could do 1 - 1000000 for all my intervals...?


You need to think about if you would take the bet both ways, if you put 0 - a google plex you wouldn't actually take the bet against your range even if you got 9 dollars back if you put in one.

I'm not sure this proves what the OP thinks it does. Some of those (the elephant gestation period for example) are examples of things people are likely to get wildly wrong and you can pick and choose outliers like that to trip people up.
dcberkeley
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada844 Posts
July 30 2009 15:39 GMT
#10
+ Show Spoiler +

On July 31 2009 00:13 azndsh wrote:
8.) Gestation period of an Asian elephant (in days)
+ Show Spoiler +
Answers:
8.) 645 Days




+ Show Spoiler +
Jesus Christ, give a medal to all of their mothers
Moktira is da bomb
Crunchums
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States11144 Posts
July 30 2009 15:40 GMT
#11
I am not surprised at my results, the only one I had any idea about whatsoever was the first one (which I was off by 3 years). Titling the thread "overconfidence" probably makes people less confident in their predictions, though.
brood war for life, brood war forever
Bosu
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States3247 Posts
July 30 2009 15:42 GMT
#12
On July 31 2009 00:32 Eniram wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 31 2009 00:31 azndsh wrote:
If you have no idea, then just put a really wide range

I think I'll just put 1 to a million for all of them


I don't think you get the point of the experiment. But ya that would work if you seriously thought there were between 1 to 1 million contries in opec.
#1 Kwanro Fan
Daigomi
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
South Africa4316 Posts
July 30 2009 15:46 GMT
#13
It's funny, I've come across this exact test three times in the last two weeks (all in psychology text books).

I'm busy writing a research proposal for my postgrad studies, and my topic is "the use and prevalence of heuristics in day traders," so I've been reading a ton of stuff on stock market psychology, and this specific overconfidence test is included in almost all of the books. I got 1/10 for it, and missed about 4 of them with about 5%, so clearly if I was just a bit less confident, I would have done much better :p
Moderator
Falcynn
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States3597 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-30 15:54:07
July 30 2009 15:52 GMT
#14
The only thing I got right was the OPEC one and I missed the MLK one because I misread it and thought it was the year of his death, although for what it's worth I was right on that =/

Edit: and until I read the rest of this thread, I completely misunderstood the point of the ranges, and used a different range (that I thought was reasonable for the specific questions) on each question.
nK)Duke
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany936 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-30 15:56:14
July 30 2009 15:55 GMT
#15
make this in the metric system and this test proves nothing but useless knowledge
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26004 Posts
July 30 2009 15:58 GMT
#16
This is stupid because the answers in themselves are shocking. Sure you should account for that in your interval, but the test is pitted against you. If they were questions with reasonable answers in everyday things this would hold a lot more weight for me.
Moderator
nttea
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Sweden4353 Posts
July 30 2009 15:58 GMT
#17
it seems that i am underconfident if anything.
Falcynn
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
United States3597 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-30 16:00:37
July 30 2009 15:59 GMT
#18
On July 31 2009 00:55 nK)Duke wrote:
make this in the metric system and this test proves nothing but useless knowledge
If I'm understanding it right, it actually does prove that people tend to be overconfident in their knowledge (even of normally useless trivia) since they get to pick the range that they believe they could guess most of the answer in.

Edit: although Chill makes a good point as well.
Edit2: although do the people this test is used on know that it's random trivia? Or are they led to believe that the test is composed of everyday/common knowledge?
meegrean
Profile Joined May 2008
Thailand7699 Posts
July 30 2009 16:09 GMT
#19
rofl.. i'm a dumbass..
Brood War loyalist
searcher
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
277 Posts
July 30 2009 16:09 GMT
#20
On July 31 2009 00:46 Daigomi wrote:
It's funny, I've come across this exact test three times in the last two weeks (all in psychology text books).

I'm busy writing a research proposal for my postgrad studies, and my topic is "the use and prevalence of heuristics in day traders," so I've been reading a ton of stuff on stock market psychology, and this specific overconfidence test is included in almost all of the books. I got 1/10 for it, and missed about 4 of them with about 5%, so clearly if I was just a bit less confident, I would have done much better :p

That's a potentially interesting paper that I'd be interested in reading. I think the experiment is designed fine, just that the conclusion to be drawn is "people have no idea what a 90% confidence interval means" rather than "people are overconfident".
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O157
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 16
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17922
Calm 2042
Shuttle 327
White-Ra 219
Mini 196
ZZZero.O 157
firebathero 70
soO 11
Sacsri 5
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1548
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5078
Liquid`Hasu76
Other Games
summit1g7284
Liquid`RaSZi2313
FrodaN2150
fl0m1305
crisheroes318
Pyrionflax211
Livibee199
IndyStarCraft 193
ToD145
Mew2King59
C9.Mang03
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick960
BasetradeTV249
StarCraft 2
angryscii 25
EmSc Tv 16
EmSc2Tv 16
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 25
• musti20045 11
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki38
• blackmanpl 32
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1396
• Shiphtur688
• WagamamaTV331
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 55m
Replay Cast
1h 55m
OSC
14h 55m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 13h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.