• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:39
CEST 20:39
KST 03:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War565.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10127 users

SC-History, an Old Grrrr Interview

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
suffeli *
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
Finland772 Posts
July 31 2003 13:22 GMT
#1
Made in January 2000
Accidently found it browsing thourgh the web, I know many people have read it already some time ago it but I just felt like posting it here again. Some comments are quite funny nowadays me thinks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

NWGN: Thank you for sparing some of your time for this interview, my hearty
acknowledgements...

NWGN: What is your real name?

X'Ds~Grrrr: Guillaume Patry

NWGN: How old are you?

X'Ds~Grrrr: I'm 17, Can't get into bars yet

NWGN: Where were you born?

X'Ds~Grrrr: In Beauport, a town close to Québec city.

NWGN: And where do you live now?

X'Ds~Grrrr: Still in Quebec city, Canada!

NWGN: You've traveled to other places for Starcraft tournaments, correct?

X'Ds~Grrrr: Yep - New York, San Francisco, Seoul, Munich, Paris and soon Seoul again

NWGN: Which was your favorite place to visit?

X'Ds~Grrrr: Seoul was so great! Gaming rooms everywhere, nice looking girls and people like Gad, Soso and Hone are really fun to be with.

NWGN: Oh really? So LAN gaming is big in Korea?

X'Ds~Grrrr: 7000 gaming room in a town of 7 million

NWGN: Have any idea how many are in New York?

X'Ds~Grrrr: Nope, but there are only 2 in Quebec

NWGN: Tell us what you think the advantages of gaming rooms(Net Cafe's) are.

X'Ds~Grrrr: We can socialize and make friends, but definitely not a girlfriend.

NWGN:  How was the trip Seoul? Very long flight, that had to be hell!

X'Ds~Grrrr: Yeah we were so lost in Seoul, but fortunately we Had hone and Hong-suh.. They helped us a lot.

NWGN: How long was it from the time you left your house to the time you arrived in your hotel in Seoul?

X'Ds~Grrrr:  Woah, 20 hours I guess.;(

NWGN: Geesh. Was the flight directly to Seoul? Or did you have to take a bus ride as well?

X'Ds~Grrrr: Directly to Seoul, from there I took taxi of course. I would have never found the place If a girl who was sitting next to me in the place hadn't helped me

NWGN: What did you travel there for?

X'Ds~Grrrr: Sports Seoul Championship

NWGN:  For those not in the know, what exactly is that?

X'Ds~Grrrr: It's a tournament that invited all the top players who has qualified in major tournament, the first prize was 25k US$.  I got second, half that.

NWGN: Who finished ahead of you?

X'Ds~Grrrr: October, the guy who finished second in the i2e2 tournament
(which I won...).

NWGN: So you got your revenge there?

X'Ds~Grrrr: Yep

NWGN: How do you and the rest of the top gamers get along?

X'Ds~Grrrr: Pretty good - I get along with everyone in real life.

NWGN: Are you doing the professional gamer thing for a living now?

X'Ds~Grrrr: I'm doing that for fun,  I'm going to Korea for 3 months - not sure yet...

NWGN: Now for the question that is on everyone's mind, how much money have you made from all the various tournaments you have won, and if you were to go full-time professional gamer, how much do you estimate you could make?

X'Ds~Grrrr: During the last 6 months I earned almost $35k US$, but I guess that if I go to Korea my chances to get more is good.  However, the standard of play has increased so much

NWGN: Your road to winning that kind of cash couldn't have been easy, what are some off your major accomplishments (Tourney wins, etc)?

X'Ds~Grrrr: PGL season #4, 1st place.  Brood War Ladder World Champ: 1st.  Sports Seoul: Second.  That is 32.5k US$.

NWGN: In your career as a gamer have you made a nemesis or two?

X'Ds~Grrrr: I liked to play with Maynard, nobody else was good at that time but us.

NWGN: Do you actually use your name: Grrrr... on Battle.net and such? Or do you go by other names?

X'Ds~Grrrr: X'Ds~Grrrr... and CLiToRiBuRGeR are the ones I use.

NWGN: Don't you get bugged by people constantly when they see you? Afterall, you are the infamous Grrrr!

X'Ds~Grrrr: Yes I do , Heeeeeeheh ,] "You is very cool" , "Many famous in Korea", "^^", "Gosu!!~~".

NWGN: What are some of your favorite conditions to play in? Maps? Races?

X'Ds~Grrrr: I like my mouse and my screen.  Lost Temple and air maps, like polaris prime

NWGN: Any race matchups that you like?

X'Ds~Grrrr: Zerg vs. Protoss, Protoss vs. Terran. Other match up are even

NWGN: Why do you favor those matchups?

X'Ds~Grrrr: Zerg can hold a toss rush easily while expanding, so they own
Protoss sux vs hydras before they have reavers and templars, Zerg is unstoppable before that tech is reached

NWGN: How does it feel to be one of the few people on Earth who could live off of playing games?

X'Ds~Grrrr: I don't have any special feeling about it =\

NWGN: So you still live with your parents?

X'Ds~Grrrr: yep

NWGN: How do they feel about all of this?  Do they have any conflicts with your trips?

X'Ds~Grrrr: Yep,  About school.. They let me go but it's ok now

NWGN: How do you get around missing 3 months of school?

X'Ds~Grrrr: I don't go to school next session, heh wut do you think?

NWGN: I mean, you could possibly have a tutor come with you or something.

X'Ds~Grrrr: Hehe 8), No, I'm going to school in Korea to learn Korean

NWGN:  What is your favorite genre of games?

X'Ds~Grrrr: RTS, but I like FPS too.. like Quake 2, 3.

NWGN: But, obviously you prefer RTS over FPS?

X'Ds~Grrrr: Right, I'm better at it, hehe!

NWGN:  What is your opinion on the UT vs Quake3 debate?

X'Ds~Grrrr: I like q3 soooo much better. The controls in q3 are better, and that's what I like.

NWGN:  A lot of people, including myself, like UT much better. Why do you think Q3 is so much better?

X'Ds~Grrrr: The strafe running

NWGN: What kind of computer system do you have set up at your house?

X'Ds~Grrrr: I've got my PGL made AMD k6-2 450 with a guillemot ultra tnt2, it's ok - since I didn't pay for it.

NWGN: What kind of connection are you on?

X'Ds~Grrrr: Cable

NWGN: How does the traveling for all of your competitions go? Does the host pay for your fees?

X'Ds~Grrrr: Most of the time the host pays, but for Sports Seoul I had to pay

NWGN: You participated in more than one PGL season correct? How did they all go?

X'Ds~Grrrr: First one I got third, in San Francisco and won 3.4k US$, second one I won 10k for first place in New York.

NWGN: Were you disappointed with the PGL's cancellation of the last season?

X'Ds~Grrrr: Kinda ;(, another 10k would have been welcome and the PGL qualifications are always pleasant.

NWGN: You think you had it in the bag again?

X'Ds~Grrrr: No, there is always a bit of luck, Like the i2e2 tournament that ended last week 32 very good players were invited, they can ALL beat me
most of the game I'd win, I guess, they can still beat me. 

NWGN: Where was this i2e2 tournament held? On-line?

X'Ds~Grrrr: Online, 2.5k for the winner.

NWGN: Did you like the organization of it?

X'Ds~Grrrr: Yes, Hone from starcraft.org took care of it.

NWGN: Do you think there is a future for professional gaming, and tournaments such as the PGL and i2e2?

X'Ds~Grrrr: Sure, It's going to be BIG

NWGN: What particular skill do you think makes you one of the best Starcraft players on Earth?

X'Ds~Grrrr: I can adapt quite easily to my opponent's moves. I am fast with the mouse and I know what do to (micro or macro) at the right time - And I can make good strategies.

NWGN: Well, that's about all. Thanks for the interview. Any shout-outs you'd like to make?

X'Ds~Grrrr: You're welcome,  Britney owns.
Quiksilver
Profile Joined December 2002
United States424 Posts
July 31 2003 13:32 GMT
#2
Grrr is the man
Live.
nullmind
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
1303 Posts
July 31 2003 13:36 GMT
#3
I remember those days. Hone was somewhat like Mensrea. He was nice, smart, and gave us really progaming reports. I remember when he went to Korea and took pictures of the pre-progaming scene which was cool.
rOm
Profile Joined December 2002
Latvia1208 Posts
July 31 2003 14:13 GMT
#4
I want Grrr to get into top shape!
My RSX owns yours.
rOm
Profile Joined December 2002
Latvia1208 Posts
July 31 2003 14:14 GMT
#5
And Woop Ass, as he did before!
My RSX owns yours.
Chibi[OWNS]
Profile Joined May 2003
United Kingdom10597 Posts
July 31 2003 14:23 GMT
#6
--- Nuked ---
Kobayashi
Profile Joined February 2003
Portugal1970 Posts
July 31 2003 14:27 GMT
#7


NWGN: You think you had it in the bag again?

X'Ds~Grrrr: No, there is always a bit of luck, Like the i2e2 tournament that ended last week 32 very good players were invited, they can ALL beat me
most of the game I'd win, I guess, they can still beat me.



really nice to see that he is/was very humble about his skills
I love mankind, its people I hate
Pseudo_Utopia
Profile Blog Joined December 2002
Canada827 Posts
July 31 2003 14:36 GMT
#8
On July 31 2003 22:22 suffeli wrote:

X'Ds~Grrrr: X'Ds~Grrrr... and CLiToRiBuRGeR are the ones I use.



Good old Guillaume
Retired SchiSm[LighT]
GoSexyPerli
Profile Joined February 2003
United States1072 Posts
July 31 2003 15:18 GMT
#9
--- Nuked ---
My whole existence is flawed.
Ion)Positive
Profile Joined March 2003
Morocco1389 Posts
July 31 2003 15:37 GMT
#10
I want him to stick to skiing.
Because everything is nothing and emptiness isnt everything. This reality is really just a fucked up dream with the flesh and the blood that you carve your soul flip it inside out its a big black hole.
Zerius[TPR]
Profile Joined April 2003
Canada1633 Posts
July 31 2003 15:40 GMT
#11
On August 01 2003 00:18 GoSexyPerli wrote:
How do you pronounce Guillaume
?


Giyom ^^
where from you, circus?
LuckyCharm
Profile Joined January 2003
United Kingdom228 Posts
July 31 2003 15:44 GMT
#12
giyom
My hearts a tart
LuckyCharm
Profile Joined January 2003
United Kingdom228 Posts
July 31 2003 15:45 GMT
#13
ok those replies werent there when i last refreshed, sry
My hearts a tart
FakeSteve[TPR]
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Valhalla18444 Posts
July 31 2003 15:48 GMT
#14
You pronounce "Guillaume" like.. "Giyom".

Korean launguage doesn't permit the pronounciation of "Grrrr".
Which explains why they call him Giyom!

"Gee-Yome"
Moderatormy tatsu loops r fuckin nice
Refrain[FriZ]
Profile Joined June 2003
Canada4337 Posts
July 31 2003 17:00 GMT
#15
Great interview. Actually Koreans can actually pronounce Grrrr... apparantly it's just really awkward, he mentioned it in Heart to Heart.
Chibi[OWNS]
Profile Joined May 2003
United Kingdom10597 Posts
July 31 2003 17:11 GMT
#16
--- Nuked ---
Abang_Zealot
Profile Joined June 2003
Indonesia866 Posts
July 31 2003 17:13 GMT
#17
try to vibrate your tongue on the top side of your mouth while blowing air through it (well, at least thats how i learn it when i was 6)
Bill307
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
Canada9103 Posts
July 31 2003 18:24 GMT
#18
I think if you didn't learn how to roll your R's as a kid, then you'll have a really hard time learning now . Like trying to pronounce new sounds from a different language, only harder, probably because of the way you have to use your tongue. For instance, I simply cannot vibrate my tongue, period =/.

I remember seeing his Game Real Life interview, where the hostess tried to pronounce his ID Grrrr... (I think she tried to roll her R's, too). It ended up sounding more like someone who's beating their lips up and down with their finger while speaking .
GnR
Profile Joined February 2003
Canada104 Posts
July 31 2003 18:25 GMT
#19
did they advance beyond mud huts for shelter in indonesia?
Im sicker than Boy George, picturin Michael Jackson in little boys drawers shoppin at toy stores whistling
Bill307
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
Canada9103 Posts
July 31 2003 18:33 GMT
#20
GnR, if everyone in Canada were as smart as you, then we wouldn't even advance to igloos.
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 5
Laughngamez YouTube
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Liquid`TLO 266
BRAT_OK 90
JuggernautJason64
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 921
Shuttle 695
Zeus 83
Hyun 48
soO 44
ToSsGirL 31
scan(afreeca) 23
Bishop 13
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
qojqva1982
420jenkins572
Counter-Strike
fl0m5550
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3377
Liquid`Hasu644
Other Games
FrodaN979
KnowMe235
Livibee169
Pyrionflax119
QueenE70
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick526
StarCraft 2
angryscii 31
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 80
• 3DClanTV 63
• Adnapsc2 13
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach96
• FirePhoenix34
• 80smullet 16
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1977
Other Games
• imaqtpie666
• Shiphtur632
Upcoming Events
BSL: Ladder Tournament
21m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
15h 21m
Patches Events
20h 21m
BSL Open Qualifier
1d
BSL Open Qualifier
1d
OSC
1d 4h
OSC
1d 17h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.