• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:40
CEST 09:40
KST 16:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon102Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11905 users

Amazon acquires Twitch.tv - Page 13

Forum Index > General Forum
795 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 40 Next All
ThomasjServo
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
15244 Posts
May 19 2014 13:41 GMT
#241
I think in terms of operations this may be good for Twitch, and could help to solve some of the latency issues Twitch has been unwilling/able to address with users outside of the US.

I am laughing a bit at the Anti-Trust, or whatever the Justice Dpt. is thinking of doing because of market share.
c0ldfusion
Profile Joined October 2010
United States8293 Posts
May 19 2014 13:43 GMT
#242
Not just you guys. This is really making waves across communities.
gneGne
Profile Joined June 2007
Netherlands697 Posts
May 19 2014 13:43 GMT
#243
The least evil monopoly? What the hell? Every monopoly will result into a subpar business, and it has, in every occasion.
Brett
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
Australia3823 Posts
May 19 2014 13:45 GMT
#244
Good!

Maybe twitch will actually be fucking usable and have less retards spamming chat. GL to them.
SebaZ
Profile Joined April 2010
Italy223 Posts
May 19 2014 13:49 GMT
#245
On May 19 2014 22:39 Jett.Jack.Alvir wrote:
I don't want Google to buy Twitch because I like competition in the market

I don't think Twitch has any real competition right now anyway.
nimdil
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Poland3773 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-19 13:55:31
May 19 2014 13:54 GMT
#246
On May 19 2014 20:36 Pr0wler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 19 2014 20:24 nimdil wrote:
On May 19 2014 19:47 Overtime wrote:
R.I.P Twitch. You will be missed.

Another step for Skynet Google to complete internet & world domination.

That statement would be justified if G+ would have succeeded in winning casuals over FB.

G+ didn't succeed ? Well then I guess they have no other choice but to buy facebook too

Not gonna happen. There are a lot of companies ready to throw money and FB and some of them - inlcuding Microsoft and probably Apple - have a lot bigger cash reserves. Plus Zuckerberg is not selling.

EIDT: What will happen with Justin.tv?
Cynry
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
810 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-19 14:00:39
May 19 2014 13:59 GMT
#247
So, one thing people fear is the google+ integration, because of what happened to youtube ? How come I have a youtube account, same as before, not showing my real name, not linked to anything g+ ? Am I an exception or are people acting a bit dumb about that ? I can post comments, publish videos. Maybe I couldn't get paid for that, don't know, don't care.

Only terrible thing (well, interface could be one, but that's a matter of taste I guess) was the shutdown of many channels because of copyrights. About which I'm fairly sure even Google wasn't too pleased, but maybe they got tired of receiving complaints from the copyrights holders. People seem to think that they did that to piss off the community or something, again, acting a bit dumb imo, it's probably way more complicated than that.


Yes, Google wants to pretty much rule the world. Yes, they want the monopoly over the internet, and are well on their way to do that. And considering what they have done so far, I'd be much happier with this becoming true than a lot of alternatives coming from governments or other firms (hullo Facebook). Hell, I even plan to help them achieve that...
Derez
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Netherlands6068 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-19 14:07:36
May 19 2014 14:06 GMT
#248
As far as I'm aware twitch hasn't even turned a profit yet so I'm not sure why some people think they'll make a billion over the next few years. YouTube makes about ~5 USD revenue (not profit) per user a year, they have a billion users a month and a great ad system (from a monetization POV). Twitch has 45 million users and a rather crappy ad system.
Knighthawkbro
Profile Joined August 2011
United States183 Posts
May 19 2014 14:07 GMT
#249
On May 19 2014 22:59 Cynry wrote:
So, one thing people fear is the google+ integration, because of what happened to youtube ? How come I have a youtube account, same as before, not showing my real name, not linked to anything g+ ? Am I an exception or are people acting a bit dumb about that ? I can post comments, publish videos. Maybe I couldn't get paid for that, don't know, don't care.

Only terrible thing (well, interface could be one, but that's a matter of taste I guess) was the shutdown of many channels because of copyrights. About which I'm fairly sure even Google wasn't too pleased, but maybe they got tired of receiving complaints from the copyrights holders. People seem to think that they did that to piss off the community or something, again, acting a bit dumb imo, it's probably way more complicated than that.


Yes, Google wants to pretty much rule the world. Yes, they want the monopoly over the internet, and are well on their way to do that. And considering what they have done so far, I'd be much happier with this becoming true than a lot of alternatives coming from governments or other firms (hullo Facebook). Hell, I even plan to help them achieve that...


I am a user who has kept his original youtube name. I have separated my g+ account and my youtube account by declining all the merging options. The only thing I hate about youtube is that they constantly reconfigure something that makes it that much harder for me to find what I am looking for. Hope that doesn't plague twitch post acquisition.
"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately." -George Carlin
d_runk
Profile Joined March 2013
124 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-19 14:13:25
May 19 2014 14:11 GMT
#250
I think technology and interface wise there won't be any real issues to speak of, better servers, bigger corporate background should improve service quality. Gmail is an excellent product as has been for the past decade for example, chrome is nice as well. People being butthurt about g+ in youtube I realy don't get because you can circumvent that with 2 clicks.
What I'm wary of is the legal team that will be a pain, the company patrolling streams for illegal music or anything deemed NSFW can put a dent in the nice grassroots feel twitch has right now

EDIT: Imagine chromecast integration and watching WCS in 1080p without having to fumble around with HDMI extenders!!
"You just offended like 90% of the world -I'm fine with that. 90% of people are pretty stupid" Jinro
yido
Profile Joined March 2014
United States350 Posts
May 19 2014 14:18 GMT
#251
Should be great news for all the free-lancing content providers out there.
This could finally break esports into the mainstream.

Hope Google finally gets this mess together.
gl hf
Derez
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Netherlands6068 Posts
May 19 2014 14:18 GMT
#252
Yes, the nice 42 million provided by venture capitalists 'grassroots' feel. Some takeover was always coming, as was the copyright police if the website proved a success.
FuRRie
Profile Joined February 2009
Belgium815 Posts
May 19 2014 14:20 GMT
#253
The only feature i have on youtube that i'd like on twitch is the easy pairing to my tv.

Other then that, Google can screw twitch over pretty hard.
shin ken
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Germany614 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-19 14:22:56
May 19 2014 14:21 GMT
#254
Wait 6 months and google-twitch will pester you to merge your twitch account with a google account or else you cannot participate in twitch chat or PMs or other stuff.
Not much of a loss for me, as I can happily life without twitch chat (and youtube comments) but a dickmove nontheless.

I hope honest streamers will go the Total Biscuit route. As he closes comments in his youtube videos and refers to his reddit, honest streamers post google-aquisition should close the chat and link to a external website with IRC webchat and the embedded twitch stream.
obesechicken13
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States10467 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-19 14:28:56
May 19 2014 14:28 GMT
#255
There's this belief google is a god send company when really they're any other. When a small company gets acquired by a larger one the larger one is supposed to introduce efficiencies its gained through experience. What really happens is it introduces bloated traditions and slows down development.
I think in our modern age technology has evolved to become more addictive. The things that don't give us pleasure aren't used as much. Work was never meant to be fun, but doing it makes us happier in the long run.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27406 Posts
May 19 2014 14:38 GMT
#256
As a rule of thumb I can see where you're coming from in that respect. Google do tend to produce a lot of good products and are still now doing so for the most part.

In terms of Twitch, I'm quite ambivalent until we see something more concrete , however within the streaming marketplace if anything it's Twitch's dominance that has seen it stagnate and really not push service improvements. Not that YouTube provides such things currently, but things like spoiler-free VoD capability is something many have cried out for and haven't really been implemented.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
figq
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
12519 Posts
May 19 2014 14:38 GMT
#257
It was pleasant to use Twitch and the average people around you not knowing what that is (not making any conclusions about it), but now Google will make it famous. Ah well, it's for the good of games to get even bigger, so I'm happy, of course. But I'll miss the less popular Twitch.
If you stand next to my head, you can hear the ocean. - Day[9]
veQ
Profile Joined November 2010
Poland339 Posts
May 19 2014 14:38 GMT
#258
On May 19 2014 17:49 crow_mw wrote:
Comming soon - can't watch a stream unless you share it on Google+.


Im afraid this can get even worse. Cant watch stream cus ur not logged into g+. That whole g+ bullshit is scaring me as is cus im against fb and other shit like that but if that comes to twitch I might end up watching it for good or just a lurker no chatting cus ure not logged and ur not providing us your data...

"Here's some cash guy's someone take it"
"money, money, money"
"It's raining money!"
"Dosh! Grab it while it's hot"

Oh well for me this is going nowhere...
"Victory comes to those who look forward" Proud SPECTER EVO Owner - http://imgur.com/a/Me9LU
Cynry
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
810 Posts
May 19 2014 14:41 GMT
#259
On May 19 2014 23:28 obesechicken13 wrote:when really they're any other.


Yeah, right, any other. I just looked at the biggest companies, where google ranks 50+, and you'd have to compare them to banks, oil companies, Apple and Microsoft. Could you keep a straith face saying they're the same ?
Google isn't "godsent", of course, but at least they haven't screwed us yet, even though they totally could.
Fuchsteufelswild
Profile Joined October 2009
Australia2028 Posts
May 19 2014 14:41 GMT
#260
This vexes me greatly!
ZerO - FantaSy - Calm - Nal_rA - Jaedong - NaDa - EffOrt - Bisu - by.hero - StarDust - Welmu - Nerchio - Supernova - Solar - Squirtle - LosirA - Grubby - IntoTheRainbow - Golden... ~~~ Incredible Miracle and Woongjin Stars 화이팅!
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 40 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 20m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
hero 572
soO 538
Hyuk 417
BeSt 393
Shinee 36
Mind 35
Bale 24
Mong 11
ZergMaN 10
yabsab 9
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1137
XaKoH 537
XcaliburYe168
League of Legends
JimRising 525
Other Games
summit1g9558
olofmeister723
ceh9508
Happy167
Livibee162
Mew2King88
ArmadaUGS64
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick574
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH364
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2296
League of Legends
• Rush1295
• Stunt438
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
2h 20m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
3h 20m
Monday Night Weeklies
8h 20m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 2h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 2h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 16h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.