• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:57
CEST 06:57
KST 13:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6980 users

Australia to vote on Gay marrige

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 35 36 37 Next All
Darkalbino
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Australia410 Posts
October 20 2011 21:36 GMT
#1
While this story is highly speculative, it surprises me that Australia would consider becoming so progressive.

Obviously, I am for gay marriage. Its not an issue of religous right or wrong, its an issue of freedom or lack thereof.

Australia is a bigoted, homophobic country and I'll be surprised if this doesn't receive major backlash from mainstream news websites (seeing as how anti labor news limited is)

While Australia is really quite behind in regard to its other policies (immigration, carbon, education) it does look to be moving forward in both a more humanitarian and logical direction (mainly because it can't pass its own legislation).

Any way, I am yet to see an Australian politics thread. So feel free to discuss both the main article and any other issues.
"I edited it"
bkrow
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Australia8532 Posts
October 20 2011 21:39 GMT
#2
I feel like this is a pretty big deal because it was the Labour party's (party in power) firm position that they are against gay marriage. Julia (*cringe*) has faced a lot pressure from MPs on her side of the fence at the moment and because her government is hanging on the TINIEST edge, i assume if this was true it was just to please them and maintain control.

Australian politics is fucked. To say it nicely.

2 independents who's electorates had the LOWEST labour votes in the country put labour into power. Fantastic
In The Rear With The Gear .. *giggle* /////////// cobra-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!!!!
Deekin[
Profile Joined December 2010
Serbia1713 Posts
October 20 2011 21:39 GMT
#3
I hope I dont get banned for my opinion, but I think being gay is pretty unnatural. If I think about it, it disgusts me, alot. But I think gay marriage should be allowed all over the world. Because I think people should be happy, and if they are gay and are happy, then its just great for them.

User was banned for this post.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ CJ Entus fighting! I am a Leta, Hydra, Mind and (ofcourse) Firebathero fan. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
PanoRaMa
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States5070 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-20 21:42:55
October 20 2011 21:42 GMT
#4
On October 21 2011 06:39 Deekin[ wrote:
I hope I dont get banned for my opinion, but I think being gay is pretty unnatural. If I think about it, it disgusts me, alot. But I think gay marriage should be allowed all over the world. Because I think people should be happy, and if they are gay and are happy, then its just great for them.


You won't get banned for your opinion, especially if you offer it in a civil manner.

AFAIK there's much evidence that disagrees with your belief that being gay is an unnatural thing though.

Anyway, Australians, what is the % likelihood that gay marriage is allowed? In California we felt pretty good about Prop 8 getting turned down (at least in my geodemographic) but we lost by a bit
Darclite
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1021 Posts
October 20 2011 21:42 GMT
#5
On October 21 2011 06:39 Deekin[ wrote:
I hope I dont get banned for my opinion, but I think being gay is pretty unnatural. If I think about it, it disgusts me, alot. But I think gay marriage should be allowed all over the world. Because I think people should be happy, and if they are gay and are happy, then its just great for them.


As long as you aren't forcing that disgust on others, I don't really care and respect that you can keep it to yourself. But consider that homosexuality exists in most animals (so it isn't like gay humans are unnatural, it exists in nature). Also consider that if something wasn't natural, it probably wouldn't exist in the first place.
They're fools. You should eat them.
Kiante
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Australia7069 Posts
October 20 2011 21:43 GMT
#6
labor is the non-conservative wing. i wasn't aware they had strong policies against gay marriage. sure you aren't thinking of the liberal party bkrow?
you could be right, i'm fairly uninformed when it comes to party policies tbh, but labor is usually the progressive party.
Writer
Deekin[
Profile Joined December 2010
Serbia1713 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-20 21:46:58
October 20 2011 21:46 GMT
#7
On October 21 2011 06:42 Darclite wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 06:39 Deekin[ wrote:
I hope I dont get banned for my opinion, but I think being gay is pretty unnatural. If I think about it, it disgusts me, alot. But I think gay marriage should be allowed all over the world. Because I think people should be happy, and if they are gay and are happy, then its just great for them.


As long as you aren't forcing that disgust on others, I don't really care and respect that you can keep it to yourself. But consider that homosexuality exists in most animals (so it isn't like gay humans are unnatural, it exists in nature). Also consider that if something wasn't natural, it probably wouldn't exist in the first place.


Yeah I kind of think same way what you said about "forcing that on others" I think that is wrong. But there is nothing worse than having someone do the same thing onto me but as like "forcing the gayness upon me" when Im out on some club or whatever, and some sleazy guy tries to hit on me or whatever. Its really really disgusting and I cant take it. But no ofcourse you shouldnt force it upon others.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ CJ Entus fighting! I am a Leta, Hydra, Mind and (ofcourse) Firebathero fan. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44353 Posts
October 20 2011 21:46 GMT
#8
It amazes me that things like this are still issues in a modern country. That we don't have it yet either is a source of national shame although we're assured that by the next election we'll have legalised it. I hope it passes and that Australians can have the rights they deserve.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Zarahtra
Profile Joined May 2010
Iceland4053 Posts
October 20 2011 21:47 GMT
#9
That's good, it always amazes me how people care what two adults do together behind closed doors, and discriminate them based on it.

If marriage was simply a religious thing, I wouldn't really care if that particular religion would not allow it, but since in nowadays society, married couple get tax reductions and shit like that, it's just stupid.
~VespeR
Profile Joined October 2011
Australia5 Posts
October 20 2011 21:48 GMT
#10
I had to take a survey on random Australians for a legal studies project on legalising gay marriage...Results were interesting to say the least. The younger generation stated it should be allowed because everyone has the right to be happy. And if a gay couple were to marry, who would it hurt? We see gay couples hold hands and walk in public, why not allow them to be 'officially together'?
The older generation (40 onwards) said that it 'just doesn't seem right' to them and therefore it should not be accepted. Then there are the religious, but I won't talk about that.
I think gay marriage should be legal. The world (especially Australia) needs to look past others' differences and move the hell forward.
sYnRoscoe
Profile Joined April 2011
United States149 Posts
October 20 2011 21:49 GMT
#11
There should be some world law where you can say "Fuck you" when someone has something against gays. And nothing more can be done for being against gays.

Let people be with who they want to be with, jesus. If we were all like one person this world would be pointless in my opinion.
http://www.twitch.tv/roscoe_964
bkrow
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Australia8532 Posts
October 20 2011 21:49 GMT
#12
On October 21 2011 06:43 Kiante wrote:
labor is the non-conservative wing. i wasn't aware they had strong policies against gay marriage. sure you aren't thinking of the liberal party bkrow?
you could be right, i'm fairly uninformed when it comes to party policies tbh, but labor is usually the progressive party.

100% certain the parties policy was against gay marriage at the time of election. Non-conservative or not; gay marriage is a pretty tenuous topic wherever you are.

I just find it amazing that whenever Labor is in power; shit happens - things go wrong and it's never their fault
In The Rear With The Gear .. *giggle* /////////// cobra-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!!!!
GeyzeR
Profile Joined November 2010
250 Posts
October 20 2011 21:50 GMT
#13
I've heard that it's a big problem to find a nice woman in Australia, so this could be the solution.

User was warned for this post
Darkalbino
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Australia410 Posts
October 20 2011 21:52 GMT
#14
On October 21 2011 06:49 bkrow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 06:43 Kiante wrote:
labor is the non-conservative wing. i wasn't aware they had strong policies against gay marriage. sure you aren't thinking of the liberal party bkrow?
you could be right, i'm fairly uninformed when it comes to party policies tbh, but labor is usually the progressive party.

100% certain the parties policy was against gay marriage at the time of election. Non-conservative or not; gay marriage is a pretty tenuous topic wherever you are.

I just find it amazing that whenever Labor is in power; shit happens - things go wrong and it's never their fault


but at the same time id rather labor then tony abbott. who doesnt actually have any policy other than 'NO'
"I edited it"
BookII
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Australia400 Posts
October 20 2011 21:54 GMT
#15
On October 21 2011 06:43 Kiante wrote:
labor is the non-conservative wing. i wasn't aware they had strong policies against gay marriage. sure you aren't thinking of the liberal party bkrow?
you could be right, i'm fairly uninformed when it comes to party policies tbh, but labor is usually the progressive party.


The parties in Australia are very factional based. So even though in the most basic sense the Labor party has been historically more social progressive than the Liberal party, most of the time is it is the Sydney based factional right wing of the party that controls the policy direction while those in the left (most usually associated with Victoria) struggle for power in the party to push a more progressive agenda.

The most likely reason for this allowance of a conscience vote is that right now the factional right of the party is under pressure form the left to change it's stance on Asylum Seeker policy to onshore processing after the Malaysia solution was shut down by the courts and parliament. Furthermore, the pressure form the Greens about gay marriage would also play a part. As a result, to calm these tensions allowing a conscience vote on gay marriage (which at this point is pretty unlikely to pass I think if most in Labor's factional right and all of the liberal party vote against it) give the PM some breathing room.

This is just my speculation, but I hope it clears up a little.
RisingTide
Profile Joined December 2008
Australia769 Posts
October 20 2011 21:54 GMT
#16
On October 21 2011 06:49 bkrow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 06:43 Kiante wrote:
labor is the non-conservative wing. i wasn't aware they had strong policies against gay marriage. sure you aren't thinking of the liberal party bkrow?
you could be right, i'm fairly uninformed when it comes to party policies tbh, but labor is usually the progressive party.

100% certain the parties policy was against gay marriage at the time of election. Non-conservative or not; gay marriage is a pretty tenuous topic wherever you are.

I just find it amazing that whenever Labor is in power; shit happens - things go wrong and it's never their fault

Labor is (was?) certainly against it, which I find funny since the Greens and the labour unions are for it. I hope that this is passed, but regardless of the outcome, there is going to be a huge backlash against the PM for flip-flopping, and if Abbot gets elected I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to get it banned again.
jello_biafra
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
United Kingdom6642 Posts
October 20 2011 21:55 GMT
#17
On October 21 2011 06:50 GeyzeR wrote:
I've heard that it's a big problem to find a nice woman in Australia, so this could be the solution.

Actually I believe the opposite is true, there's a lack of men since so many go travelling for extended periods of time in Europe or the US.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions | aka Probert[PaiN] @ iccup / godlikeparagon @ twitch | my BW stream: http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/jello_biafra
Turbogangsta
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Australia319 Posts
October 20 2011 21:56 GMT
#18
one of my best mates for 6 years finaly told me he was gay and i was so shocked. he is so manly loves his v8s and metal and hip hop BMX. ill vote for it but i wont tell certain ppl how i voted for it haha. whether it goes through or not u dont need a piece of paper to tell you your in love... and my mate is far to awesome for marriage
Esports is killing Esports.
NotSupporting
Profile Joined February 2008
Sweden1998 Posts
October 20 2011 21:59 GMT
#19
I am against gay marriage (I'm atheist, always have been)

1. The state should not care about setting rules for religion just as religion should not set rules for the state.

2. Offer gay people an agreement with the same rights as marriage but call it something else to cover all the legal purposes. (In Sweden we have marriage and partnership, in the eyes of the law they are exactly the same thing but on is for heterosexual relationships only)

Solves both problems - the religious and legal.

Last note, for me it's crazy and illogical for gay people to want to get married in the church anyway. The bible hates gay people, it's a sin, religious people have killed gays coldblooded through history, it's largely thanks to Christianity the view on gay people have been so bad for such a long time. For me it's as illogical as if a Jew would fight all his life to be a part of the nazi community, but they reject him.
Fiddel
Profile Joined May 2011
Netherlands20 Posts
October 20 2011 22:00 GMT
#20
It is indeed strange that a lot of countries still don't recognize gay marriage. But it seems that most young people are for same-sex marriage, so I expect (hope) that in the future more and more countries will be more tolerant
:)
1 2 3 4 5 35 36 37 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 239
NeuroSwarm 204
ProTech121
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 21335
Dewaltoss 145
Bale 45
Noble 10
Icarus 6
Other Games
summit1g12890
JimRising 785
Sick129
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1063
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream37
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 22
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2113
League of Legends
• Lourlo1072
• Rush818
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
5h 3m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
6h 3m
Monday Night Weeklies
11h 3m
Replay Cast
18h 3m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 5h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 6h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 19h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.