• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:20
CEST 02:20
KST 09:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)53Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7840 users

What is your Religious Identification?

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
DTown
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States428 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-20 04:57:43
September 20 2010 04:19 GMT
#1
So I was reading the recent thread discussing the pope's comparison of secularism to nazism (link), and other similar threads regarding religion, and I was surprised to see so many TL members seeming to have an atheist or agnostic viewpoint. While I am not sure of the exact breakdown of the world as a whole, it seems like TL has an abnormally large representation of these viewpoints. So I was curious to see what the TL community's views on religion were via a poll.

Please note that I did not want to put this poll in that specific thread specifically to avoid selection bias (i.e. perhaps people who would want to read that thread are statistically more likely to be an athiest... etc), so I created a new thread. Also, I did use the search function and found this thread: (link), but that thread is 5 years old, the community I'm sure has changed much since then, and the particular poll was not as detailed as I'd like it to be. So I hope that justifies my creation of a new thread (of course, if mods disagree, use your mighty mod powers to shut this down). Without further ado, TL, what are your views on religion?

Poll: What is your Religious Identification?

Atheist (I do not believe in God) (133)
 
54%

Religious (I believe in God) (60)
 
24%

Agnostic (I refuse to commit to either the belief or the disbelief in God) (46)
 
19%

Undecided (I have yet to make up my mind) (8)
 
3%

247 total votes

Your vote: What is your Religious Identification?

(Vote): Religious (I believe in God)
(Vote): Atheist (I do not believe in God)
(Vote): Agnostic (I refuse to commit to either the belief or the disbelief in God)
(Vote): Undecided (I have yet to make up my mind)



edit: ^^ perhaps this should be in blogs. sorry!

updates:
#1:
On September 20 2010 13:32 rally_point wrote:
For the first two options it seems like you're being specific to a single God. It might be better phrased as "I believe in the existence of God(s)", or maybe even just "I follow a religion."

Just wanted to point this out because i think (not entirely sure), when you use "God" with that kind of grammar it refers to Jesus. If that were the case then you're missing a ton of other religious options.

Good point, but since polls are not edit-able, please just allow for the religious option to encompass all God(s) when you vote.

#2: It has been made abundantly clear that the poll is not 100% perfect in its exact definitions. Of course, it would take years for a consensus to arise on what these exact definitions should be. Please just choose whichever one you personally believe best approximates your religious belief system, however imperfect you believe the poll options to be.
Chimpalimp
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1135 Posts
September 20 2010 04:21 GMT
#2
Atheist unless playing SC religiously counts as a religion. If so, sign me up!
I like money. You like money too? We should hang out.
synapse
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
China13814 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-20 04:25:32
September 20 2010 04:22 GMT
#3
I thought that agnostic basically = undecided?

On September 20 2010 13:19 DTown wrote:
While I am not sure of the exact breakdown of the world as a whole, it seems like TL has an abnormally large representation of these viewpoints.

I believe China is 60-70% atheist/agnostic, so that should mean something...
:)
only_human89
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States212 Posts
September 20 2010 04:25 GMT
#4
I'm Roman Catholic in title and practice.
"You're a pathetic, jerk, loser, and I wouldn't kiss you if I had brain cancer and your lips were the cure" LOOOOL
Rev0lution
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States1805 Posts
September 20 2010 04:25 GMT
#5
I think undecided means you haven't really given it much thought.
My dealer is my best friend, and we don't even chill.
dudeman001
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States2412 Posts
September 20 2010 04:25 GMT
#6
Roman Catholic whee!
+ Show Spoiler +
But I don't take everything so seriously :3
Sup.
TwoToneTerran
Profile Joined March 2009
United States8841 Posts
September 20 2010 04:25 GMT
#7
Agnostic Atheist, as being agnostic in and of itself is a form of not believing in God. I don't think the two should really be separated on the poll.
Remember Violet.
DTown
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States428 Posts
September 20 2010 04:26 GMT
#8
On September 20 2010 13:22 synapse wrote:
I thought that agnostic basically = undecided?

No, there is a substantial difference. Agnostics typically believe that it is impossible to determine whether or not there is actually a god, and therefore take the firm stance that declaring either that god exists or that god does not exist is an exercise in futility and is generally pointless. They are not about to change their minds and become religious or atheists anytime soon. In comparison, someone who is undecided may be reading religious texts for the first time, having an interior struggle with what they believe in, and just generally haven't sorted the details out yet in their minds sufficiently to reach a conclusion. In short Agnosticism != Undecided. If people would still like a clearer differentiation to make a more informed decision in the poll, let me know and I will try to apply my sleep-deprived brain for a more lucid explanation. = )
Rev0lution
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States1805 Posts
September 20 2010 04:26 GMT
#9
Is it really a big surprise that most teamliquid users are godless heathens?
My dealer is my best friend, and we don't even chill.
njnick
Profile Joined August 2010
United States176 Posts
September 20 2010 04:27 GMT
#10
Atheist and undecided is the same thing. As for agnostic, it is not mutually exclusive so one could be either agnostic atheist or agnostic theist etc.
A better poll would have been
Atheist
Theist
Pantheist
Deist
Pan-deist
Ignosticism
DTown
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States428 Posts
September 20 2010 04:28 GMT
#11
On September 20 2010 13:25 TwoToneTerran wrote:
Agnostic Atheist, as being agnostic in and of itself is a form of not believing in God. I don't think the two should really be separated on the poll.

I disagree, they are very different. An atheist says "I do not believe in God." An agnostic thinks that Atheist is just as ludicrous for claiming a disbelief in God as the religious person is in claiming a belief in God. While they both imply a degree of belief less than that of a religious person, their religious views are far from being identical.
Half
Profile Joined March 2010
United States2554 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-20 04:33:54
September 20 2010 04:29 GMT
#12

No, there is a substantial difference. Agnostics typically believe that it is impossible to determine whether or not there is actually a god, and therefore take the firm stance that declaring either that god exists or that god does not exist is an exercise in futility and is generally pointless. They are not about to change their minds and become religious or atheists anytime soon. In comparison, someone who is undecided may be reading religious texts for the first time, having an interior struggle with what they believe in, and just generally haven't sorted the details out yet in their minds sufficiently to reach a conclusion. In short Agnosticism != Undecided. If people would still like a clearer differentiation to make a more informed decision in the poll, let me know and I will try to apply my sleep-deprived brain for a more lucid explanation. = )


Agnosticism isn't that specific, it represents a broad range of beliefs ranging from "I'm not sure" to "We can never know" to "I believe in my own personal god, like, one who doesn't doesn't encourage [Amoral Suggestion]".

I'm a hardcore Athiest, but I occasionally attend a community church, and used to go on a weekly basis with my gf (before we broke up last year lol). I don't really view my Atheism as that big of a deal, but at the same time, I'm very certain of it. I probably wouldn't have even posted if I hadn't procrastinated for a good six hours over the last day trying to get work done and instead ending up on that religion thread down yonder lol.

Too Busy to Troll!
Evil_Monkey_
Profile Joined May 2003
Denmark296 Posts
September 20 2010 04:30 GMT
#13
This poll ultimately lacks options and lacks thought.
........
muffinbaby
Profile Joined September 2010
16 Posts
September 20 2010 04:31 GMT
#14
I define god as that which created us and the universe. I believe the main scriptures of the world's religions to all be fiction with good morals at times.
EleanorRIgby
Profile Joined March 2008
Canada3923 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-20 04:32:19
September 20 2010 04:31 GMT
#15
I'm agnostic

because none of us really know!

your undecided poll pretty much fits in with agnostic btw
savior did nothing wrong
Roe
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada6002 Posts
September 20 2010 04:31 GMT
#16
I thought atheist means they believe there is no god? Also could you put in some options for those who don't believe in 'God' but are religious, like druidism etc...would just be interesting to see the variety
as for myself i'm agnostic. can't say there isn't a god, but not very much evidence in my opinion that there is one.
Carefoot
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada410 Posts
September 20 2010 04:32 GMT
#17
Atheist I guess but I'd prefer anti-theist or "sane" would have done just nicely.
The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars http://twitch.tv/NickCarefoot
Khul Sadukar
Profile Joined August 2009
Australia1735 Posts
September 20 2010 04:32 GMT
#18
I believe all religious deities were actually aliens.

Don't see an option for that on the poll..
I don't want to be part everything. I want to be something. - Weapon X
rally_point
Profile Joined April 2009
Canada458 Posts
September 20 2010 04:32 GMT
#19
For the first two options it seems like you're being specific to a single God. It might be better phrased as "I believe in the existence of God(s)", or maybe even just "I follow a religion."

Just wanted to point this out because i think (not entirely sure), when you use "God" with that kind of grammar it refers to Jesus. If that were the case then you're missing a ton of other religious options.

DTown
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States428 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-20 04:34:37
September 20 2010 04:32 GMT
#20
On September 20 2010 13:30 Evil_Monkey_ wrote:
This poll ultimately lacks options and lacks thought.

Sometimes it is best not to get too specific to try and capture more general attitudes than it is to list every possible sub-category of religious (dis)belief. But if you really feel that it misses the mark by that much, feel free to improve upon it and create your own poll. = (


edit:
On September 20 2010 13:32 Khul Sadukar wrote:
I believe all religious deities were actually aliens.

Don't see an option for that on the poll..

<333
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings30
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 152
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10653
Rain 1895
Artosis 586
Bale 16
League of Legends
Doublelift3980
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox620
Mew2King236
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1059
Other Games
summit1g9555
Day[9].tv677
shahzam621
JimRising 502
C9.Mang0228
PiGStarcraft224
ArmadaUGS81
NeuroSwarm61
ViBE58
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV204
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream90
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 94
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP19
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 28
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv677
• Scarra571
• Shiphtur187
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
12h 40m
OSC
21h 40m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 9h
Online Event
1d 10h
FEL
1d 15h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 16h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 18h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.