• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:17
CEST 06:17
KST 13:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8263 users

Advice you would give your highschool self

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 10 11 12 Next All
11709394
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada13 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-24 19:38:28
March 24 2010 19:36 GMT
#1
Many times in life (especially now that I am in university) I wish I could go back in time and tell my dumbass and carefree self certain pieces of advice and tips.....if only I knew better back then.

I'm sure I am not the only one out there who wish they knew a little more when they were young, a lot of stuff could be prevented.

So what would you say, to your younger self from the past?

For me it would be:

1)
SAVE, SAVE, SAVE. I worked quite a bit when I was in highschool, but I spent it all on useless things and spent with out checking my bank account thinking (oh, i'll just go back to work). I recently calculated, I would have had at least 25,000 in my bank account if only i saved....but i was young...

2)
Don't go into university thinking it will give you a job right when you are done, chances are, depending on what your major and graduate program ( if you can ever get into grad school) you will have to start a shitty job with people who have not a degree.

3)
Volunteer more. I lack networking.

4)
The more people you know, the easier it is to find a job.

5)
Don't spend too much money/time/effort on high school relationships. It. Just. Doesn't. Work.

6)
SAVE YOUR MONIES!!! i seriously cannot stress how important that is

7)
although parents are annoying/naggy, they are right 99% of the time.
(i shouldn't have driven so fast....black ice is REALLY scary)

8)
Don't hide your report card from asian parents......They have ways of finding out and finding it, and when they do, you will burn in hell no matter how good your grades are and your only C is in P.E.

9)
Balance gaming and studying (this is did not do)

10)
cigarettes does not a cool guy make.

11)
PROOFREAD EMAILS BEFORE SENDING IT TO PEOPLE OF IMPORTANCE
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
March 24 2010 20:03 GMT
#2
1) Get out more. Whatever you're going to be doing tonight may seem fun in the short run, but eventually it's going to be more fun to be doing it with a larger group of people. You can always come back to "alone time" but it's much harder to progress the other way.

2) Get your shit done on time. You're going to do it anyway, so it's a matter of learning things and doing them for full credit, or cramming things and turning them in late. Especially important in math, where concepts build on each other. (lol still don't know my unit circle and in calc 2. FML)

3) Get your ass in the weight room. Helped so much in so many areas of life after a remarkably short amount of time. Plus it's fun.

4) Money is made to be spent, but spend it on things that are going to last you. Nice clothes; furniture; car > Pokemon cards, Sunglasses you will probably lose, Vacation with people you now barely talk to.

Having followed these, I think I would be in a much different situation than I am right now; and I'm only a college Freshman! The worst part is, I really did know the first two; I just never had the determination or the balls to stick with them.
Phantom
Profile Joined September 2004
Canada2151 Posts
March 24 2010 20:15 GMT
#3
The biggest thing I'd want to say is pick a different major, i'm in my 4th year now and have prolonged the process by 1 more year, ugh.

One more advice i'd give my highschool self, don't bother playing WoW, just wait for SC2 it's in the making. Be patient.
http://www.gosugamers.net/starcraft2/members/Phantom
Emon_
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
3925 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-24 20:24:42
March 24 2010 20:19 GMT
#4
You're good enough as it is. . . and that it's gonna be alright in the future. Maybe stay away from some girls and be nicer to others.
"I know that human beings and fish can coexist peacefully" -GWB ||
EniraM(CA)
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada160 Posts
March 24 2010 20:21 GMT
#5
Try and fuck every girl you can.

I tried thinking about more things I wish I had done in high school but this was all I could come up with.
Jathin
Profile Blog Joined February 2005
United States3505 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-24 20:27:22
March 24 2010 20:21 GMT
#6
--- Nuked ---
love1another
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States1844 Posts
March 24 2010 20:23 GMT
#7
Have life. Make sex. Stay in warm places.
"I'm learning more and more that TL isn't the place to go for advice outside of anything you need in college. It's like you guys just make up your own fantasy world shit and post it as if you've done it." - Chill
Tekin
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
2711 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-24 20:27:53
March 24 2010 20:25 GMT
#8
1) Stop thinking that your gonna be pro in CS. Yes through out my years in High school all I wanted to do is to join a top team tier team in CS and travel.

2) Find a job. Seriously I need a job while I was in high school cause I would always wanting to buy something.

3) Life!. Jesus I didn't have a life through out High school but video games and school work.
Cheers! //¯◡◡¯\\ 문채원 | 한지우 -___-
Chupacabra(UCSD)
Profile Joined December 2009
Mexico225 Posts
March 24 2010 20:26 GMT
#9
+ Show Spoiler +
f I could live again my life,
In the next – I’ll try,
– to make more mistakes,
I won’t try to be so perfect,
I’ll be more relaxed,
I’ll be more full – than I am now,
In fact, I’ll take fewer things seriously,
I’ll be less hygienic,
I’ll take more risks,
I’ll take more trips,
I’ll watch more sunsets,
I’ll climb more mountains,
I’ll swim more rivers,
I’ll go to more places – I’ve never been,
I’ll eat more ice creams and less (lime) beans,
I’ll have more real problems – and less imaginary ones,
I was one of those people who live
prudent and prolific lives -
each minute of his life,
Of course that I had moments of joy – but,
if I could go back I’ll try to have only good moments,

If you don’t know – that’s what life is made of,
Don’t lose the now!

I was one of those who never goes anywhere
without a thermometer,
without a hot-water bottle,
and without an umbrella and without a parachute,

If I could live again – I will travel light,
If I could live again – I’ll try to work bare feet
at the beginning of spring till the end of autumn,
I’ll ride more carts,
I’ll watch more sunrises and play with more children,
If I have the life to live – but now I am 85,
– and I know that I am dying …

Jorge Luis Borges


I would tell myself to read the spoiler over and over again until I understood.

Also @ Jathin, what the hell is your first point supposed to mean anyways?
Never pass up a good thing.
Failsafe
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States1298 Posts
March 24 2010 20:29 GMT
#10
1) People aren't that bad, and at the same time, most people think that other people suck. If you fuck up a lot, you won't be surprising anyone. Fucking up is part of it

2) Life is but a dream! Enjoy yourself

3) Balance doing things you're good at and things you're not good at but would like to be.

4) Be healthy: always sleep enough, eat reasonably healthy stuff and exercise a few times a week

5) Spend time doing things that people you like are doing. Meet people and be friendly until you have an occasion to be otherwise

6) Research major life decisions in advance. You assume a lot of necessary knowledge is gonna be funneled your way, but it won't be. You have to weigh your choices and take the initiative learning about what you'll need in order to do what you want to do.

7) If you're going to get addicted to drugs, limit yourself to lighter drugs and start around Freshman year in college. Make sure to kick addictions before you begin Junior year. Never do heroine or meth.


MrBitter: Phoenixes... They're like flying hellions. Always cost efficient.
Failsafe
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States1298 Posts
March 24 2010 20:30 GMT
#11
Don't play WoW is a great piece of life advice, so I wanna echo that
MrBitter: Phoenixes... They're like flying hellions. Always cost efficient.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44353 Posts
March 24 2010 20:34 GMT
#12
You can't fix girls and craziness gets old fast.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
SoLaR[i.C]
Profile Blog Joined August 2003
United States2969 Posts
March 24 2010 20:34 GMT
#13
The contrasts in advice here are hilarious.

My advice to my high school self? Stop being such a pussy. I swear that's the most important thing I learned in college.
Ilikestarcraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Korea (South)17743 Posts
March 24 2010 20:38 GMT
#14
1) get off the fucking comp
ils
"Nana is a goddess. Or at very least, Nana is my goddess." - KazeHydra
eMbrace
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States1300 Posts
March 24 2010 20:38 GMT
#15
On March 25 2010 05:30 Failsafe wrote:
Don't play WoW is a great piece of life advice, so I wanna echo that


Kind of wish I had played more 0_o

In fact I regret not playing a lot of games.
Jathin
Profile Blog Joined February 2005
United States3505 Posts
March 24 2010 20:39 GMT
#16
--- Nuked ---
bdams19
Profile Joined January 2005
United States1316 Posts
March 24 2010 20:41 GMT
#17
Talk to as many girls as possible; they want to bang you as much as you want to bang them. Hook up with lots of girls, but don't bother with long term relationships. Learn self confidence and game. Stop smoking shitty weed and learn how to spot the good stuff.
gumbum8
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States721 Posts
March 24 2010 20:41 GMT
#18
For those of us in High School, this is very entertaining.
I'm in my junior year, and already I wish I had been a better student lol.
but really, has anyone REALLY been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Curu
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada2817 Posts
March 24 2010 20:41 GMT
#19
1) Play less games and don't completely mess up your work habits before university where you can't get away with overnight studying
wat
BroOd
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Austin10833 Posts
March 24 2010 20:43 GMT
#20
Group your mutas with an overlord and start fast expanding as protoss.
ModeratorSIRL and JLIG.
1 2 3 4 5 10 11 12 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 296
NeuroSwarm 183
ProTech121
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17455
Dewaltoss 152
Bale 51
Terrorterran 21
Noble 5
League of Legends
JimRising 815
Counter-Strike
taco 378
Other Games
summit1g13331
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1298
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream48
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 17
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota281
League of Legends
• Lourlo1086
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
5h 43m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
6h 43m
Monday Night Weeklies
11h 43m
Replay Cast
18h 43m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 5h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 6h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 19h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.