|
|
The only way to comparatively use DSR effectively is against yourself for later references. Comparing against others wont give you anything good. And the site is still in massive beta from the looks of it so your DSR number might change just for the worst just from patching.
The developer seems decent so in the future it might be useful but all of these different rating numbers is usually worthless for self improvement its dangerous to get caught in pointless ego boosting. If people actually want to improve their play they should watch their own replays and analyze as well as watching specific heroes/roles played by the best(pros) and try to emulate. Most important is probably to try to find people to play with/ against who is already better then you.
Not sure why I went on this rant but Im getting tired of this DSR/Dotabuff mania going on.
|
On December 05 2013 15:21 Spicy_Curry wrote: All this drama on reddit is such a huge turn-off. At this point its even worse than the sc2 reddit.
edit: its not even drama, just pseudo-drama
Dota 2 Reddit has been a complete shit hole for a while. Proper discussion went out the window when it became over ran with Valve apologists and fanboys and people who care way to much about insignificant things. Not to mention 80% of the threads are either some terrible screenshot or retarded art.
I read the League Reddit more nowadays and I don't even play it.
|
On December 05 2013 15:21 FakeDeath wrote: So I just tried out this mydotaskill.com thing everyone is talking about. My DSR is 954 Emerald whatever that means.
Can this be taken as a legit base line of your skill level? Not like a true indicator but more of where u stand in the dota ladder?
Though I wonder how they actually calculated your DSR. What is the difference between this and Valve internal rating?
DSR's gone through 3 or so iterations where they adjust the algorithms to produce new and exciting numbers that may or may not mean a damn thing to anyone at all.
They're not a good indicator of skill. By the site's only admission, it is only able to predict the winner of any given game correctly 65% of the time. Seeing as that's only 15% better than a blind guess over many iterations, I'd say it is still pretty damn inaccurate.
|
On December 05 2013 15:21 FakeDeath wrote: So I just tried out this mydotaskill.com thing everyone is talking about. My DSR is 954 Emerald whatever that means.
Can this be taken as a legit base line of your skill level? Not like a true indicator but more of where u stand in the dota ladder?
Though I wonder how they actually calculated your DSR. What is the difference between this and Valve internal rating? no, no unless your DSR is below 500 or above 1700
dsr is calculated totally differently than valve internal rating. dsr is based solely upon stats obtainable from a site like dotabuff
|
How to improve your DSR?
Be a team player, as a carry - help your teammates with ganks and don't die.
As a support - make sure your carries are safe and have space to farm.
Provide vision for your team and help with ganks.
Playing well WILL result in a higher DSR score.
Playing selfish will decrease it.
They say all that, but eternalenvy is like #2 and he is probably the most selfish pubber in the history of dota
|
I dont know about you guys but since i learned about this DSR thing, I got really motivated to play dota2. I have already started to phase out somewhat and started to play hearthstone a lot. Then every time i check this site, i proceed to go on matchmaking and queue up right after, hoping that i could get myself up to the top 10-20 :D....
I guess i would be in favor of a rating system now. Not sure what i wanted before.
|
On December 05 2013 15:57 NB wrote: I dont know about you guys but since i learned about this DSR thing, I got really motivated to play dota2. I have already started to phase out somewhat and started to play hearthstone a lot. Then every time i check this site, i proceed to go on matchmaking and queue up right after, hoping that i could get myself up to the top 10-20 :D....
I guess i would be in favor of a rating system now. Not sure what i wanted before.
I really don't want to start a rating system discussion but I do want to comment that Dota 2 seriously lacks a drive to play. After you play more than 500+ games they all just become inconsequential.
As for DSR accuracy it doesn't take into account your opponents MMR (It can't) so it's never going to be more than a personal yardstick.
|
On December 05 2013 15:21 Spicy_Curry wrote: All this drama on reddit is such a huge turn-off. At this point its even worse than the sc2 reddit.
edit: its not even drama, just pseudo-drama Oh come on, it's not even close to point of a "dicks of destiny" incident.
As a sidenote, should I ask my fellow mods of sccj to create a dota version? http://www.reddit.com/r/StarcraftCirclejerk/ (I have literally no idea how or why I wound up as a mod of that subreddit. Lots of certain substances were involved).
If you want to see something really sad.... http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft starcraftcirclejerk
|
Lalalaland34507 Posts
I play Dota because I enjoy the game rather than for points.
That said:
Player number 36931272 DSR is: 1532 This player has a Mithril DSR score (top 0.05%).
|
|
|
On December 05 2013 16:16 Firebolt145 wrote: I play Dota because I enjoy the game rather than for points.
That said:
Player number 36931272 DSR is: 1532 This player has a Mithril DSR score (top 0.05%). Clearly the rating is incorrect then.
|
anyone having the problem when pressing alt, enemy names show up on minimap even though they aren't there?
|
On December 05 2013 16:49 Doraemon wrote: anyone having the problem when pressing alt, enemy names show up on minimap even though they aren't there? Known bug.
|
Russian Federation4050 Posts
On December 05 2013 16:49 Doraemon wrote: anyone having the problem when pressing alt, enemy names show up on minimap even though they aren't there? Think about it as a feature that shows their last known position.
|
On December 05 2013 15:44 njt7 wrote: The only way to comparatively use DSR effectively is against yourself for later references. Comparing against others wont give you anything good. And the site is still in massive beta from the looks of it so your DSR number might change just for the worst just from patching.
The developer seems decent so in the future it might be useful but all of these different rating numbers is usually worthless for self improvement its dangerous to get caught in pointless ego boosting. If people actually want to improve their play they should watch their own replays and analyze as well as watching specific heroes/roles played by the best(pros) and try to emulate. Most important is probably to try to find people to play with/ against who is already better then you.
Not sure why I went on this rant but Im getting tired of this DSR/Dotabuff mania going on.
Of course you can compare it to other people. It's also the whole basis of why DSR can predict the winner of a game.
On December 05 2013 15:48 Staboteur wrote:Show nested quote +On December 05 2013 15:21 FakeDeath wrote: So I just tried out this mydotaskill.com thing everyone is talking about. My DSR is 954 Emerald whatever that means.
Can this be taken as a legit base line of your skill level? Not like a true indicator but more of where u stand in the dota ladder?
Though I wonder how they actually calculated your DSR. What is the difference between this and Valve internal rating? DSR's gone through 3 or so iterations where they adjust the algorithms to produce new and exciting numbers that may or may not mean a damn thing to anyone at all. They're not a good indicator of skill. By the site's only admission, it is only able to predict the winner of any given game correctly 65% of the time. Seeing as that's only 15% better than a blind guess over many iterations, I'd say it is still pretty damn inaccurate.
People who don't have a background in statistics need to stop saying things like this. 65% prediction accuracy over a large sample is RIDICULOUS and if that 65% is proven to be true it is clearly evidence of DSR's accuracy. It would be a statistical fact except people who don't study stats can't be convinced because they can't understand the proof.
|
On December 05 2013 17:04 dfs wrote:Show nested quote +On December 05 2013 16:49 Doraemon wrote: anyone having the problem when pressing alt, enemy names show up on minimap even though they aren't there? Think about it as a feature that shows their last known position.
lol. confusing as shit though.
|
On December 05 2013 17:08 hariooo wrote:Show nested quote +On December 05 2013 15:44 njt7 wrote: The only way to comparatively use DSR effectively is against yourself for later references. Comparing against others wont give you anything good. And the site is still in massive beta from the looks of it so your DSR number might change just for the worst just from patching.
The developer seems decent so in the future it might be useful but all of these different rating numbers is usually worthless for self improvement its dangerous to get caught in pointless ego boosting. If people actually want to improve their play they should watch their own replays and analyze as well as watching specific heroes/roles played by the best(pros) and try to emulate. Most important is probably to try to find people to play with/ against who is already better then you.
Not sure why I went on this rant but Im getting tired of this DSR/Dotabuff mania going on. Of course you can compare it to other people. It's also the whole basis of why DSR can predict the winner of a game. Show nested quote +On December 05 2013 15:48 Staboteur wrote:On December 05 2013 15:21 FakeDeath wrote: So I just tried out this mydotaskill.com thing everyone is talking about. My DSR is 954 Emerald whatever that means.
Can this be taken as a legit base line of your skill level? Not like a true indicator but more of where u stand in the dota ladder?
Though I wonder how they actually calculated your DSR. What is the difference between this and Valve internal rating? DSR's gone through 3 or so iterations where they adjust the algorithms to produce new and exciting numbers that may or may not mean a damn thing to anyone at all. They're not a good indicator of skill. By the site's only admission, it is only able to predict the winner of any given game correctly 65% of the time. Seeing as that's only 15% better than a blind guess over many iterations, I'd say it is still pretty damn inaccurate. People who don't have a background in statistics need to stop saying things like this. 65% prediction accuracy over a large sample is RIDICULOUS and if that 65% is proven to be true it is clearly evidence of DSR's accuracy. It would be a statistical fact except people who don't study stats can't be convinced because they can't understand the proof.
I dont think any of that matters when most of the player profile is set to be hidden by default.
Meanwhile, Player number 34176943 DSR is: 1275
This player has a Pro DSR score (top 0,5%).
>_> and my smurf now is 460. I am entertained enough by now, that will be the last time i visit the site. and i fcking respect the people behind dotabuff now.
|
On December 05 2013 17:42 BurningSera wrote:Show nested quote +On December 05 2013 17:08 hariooo wrote:On December 05 2013 15:44 njt7 wrote: The only way to comparatively use DSR effectively is against yourself for later references. Comparing against others wont give you anything good. And the site is still in massive beta from the looks of it so your DSR number might change just for the worst just from patching.
The developer seems decent so in the future it might be useful but all of these different rating numbers is usually worthless for self improvement its dangerous to get caught in pointless ego boosting. If people actually want to improve their play they should watch their own replays and analyze as well as watching specific heroes/roles played by the best(pros) and try to emulate. Most important is probably to try to find people to play with/ against who is already better then you.
Not sure why I went on this rant but Im getting tired of this DSR/Dotabuff mania going on. Of course you can compare it to other people. It's also the whole basis of why DSR can predict the winner of a game. On December 05 2013 15:48 Staboteur wrote:On December 05 2013 15:21 FakeDeath wrote: So I just tried out this mydotaskill.com thing everyone is talking about. My DSR is 954 Emerald whatever that means.
Can this be taken as a legit base line of your skill level? Not like a true indicator but more of where u stand in the dota ladder?
Though I wonder how they actually calculated your DSR. What is the difference between this and Valve internal rating? DSR's gone through 3 or so iterations where they adjust the algorithms to produce new and exciting numbers that may or may not mean a damn thing to anyone at all. They're not a good indicator of skill. By the site's only admission, it is only able to predict the winner of any given game correctly 65% of the time. Seeing as that's only 15% better than a blind guess over many iterations, I'd say it is still pretty damn inaccurate. People who don't have a background in statistics need to stop saying things like this. 65% prediction accuracy over a large sample is RIDICULOUS and if that 65% is proven to be true it is clearly evidence of DSR's accuracy. It would be a statistical fact except people who don't study stats can't be convinced because they can't understand the proof. I dont think any of that matters when most of the player profile is set to be hidden by default. Meanwhile, Player number 34176943 DSR is: 1275 This player has a Pro DSR score (top 0,5%). >_> and my smurf now is 460. I am entertained enough by now, that will be the last time i visit the site. and i fcking respect the people behind dotabuff now.
http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1s4ezx/mydotaskillcom_and_why_it_should_be_ignored/cdtubbc
Hidden profiles shouldn't matter.
|
lmao sunken doing blink clinkz now too
|
On December 05 2013 17:08 hariooo wrote:Show nested quote +On December 05 2013 15:44 njt7 wrote: The only way to comparatively use DSR effectively is against yourself for later references. Comparing against others wont give you anything good. And the site is still in massive beta from the looks of it so your DSR number might change just for the worst just from patching.
The developer seems decent so in the future it might be useful but all of these different rating numbers is usually worthless for self improvement its dangerous to get caught in pointless ego boosting. If people actually want to improve their play they should watch their own replays and analyze as well as watching specific heroes/roles played by the best(pros) and try to emulate. Most important is probably to try to find people to play with/ against who is already better then you.
Not sure why I went on this rant but Im getting tired of this DSR/Dotabuff mania going on. Of course you can compare it to other people. It's also the whole basis of why DSR can predict the winner of a game. Show nested quote +On December 05 2013 15:48 Staboteur wrote:On December 05 2013 15:21 FakeDeath wrote: So I just tried out this mydotaskill.com thing everyone is talking about. My DSR is 954 Emerald whatever that means.
Can this be taken as a legit base line of your skill level? Not like a true indicator but more of where u stand in the dota ladder?
Though I wonder how they actually calculated your DSR. What is the difference between this and Valve internal rating? DSR's gone through 3 or so iterations where they adjust the algorithms to produce new and exciting numbers that may or may not mean a damn thing to anyone at all. They're not a good indicator of skill. By the site's only admission, it is only able to predict the winner of any given game correctly 65% of the time. Seeing as that's only 15% better than a blind guess over many iterations, I'd say it is still pretty damn inaccurate. People who don't have a background in statistics need to stop saying things like this. 65% prediction accuracy over a large sample is RIDICULOUS and if that 65% is proven to be true it is clearly evidence of DSR's accuracy. It would be a statistical fact except people who don't study stats can't be convinced because they can't understand the proof.
Wut?
Correct you are, I have no background in statistics, but perhaps you could enlighten me?
To those with a background in statistics (I assume!), 65% prediction accuracy over a thing with as many unpredictable variables as a dota 2 match is at the very least an indication that whatever changes they've been making to the formulas can be regarded as progress - The closer this number can get to the point where human error makes it impossible to predict further (A number I imagine to be higher than 65%?) the more accurate DSR can be considered to be.
Looking at these numbers as a player, that level of accuracy should also be considered to be reflected in your rating; A system prone to being wrong 35% of the time might be "close" to giving you a rating of some value, but chances are if it's only shooting 15% above par, it's more of a ballpark than a pinpoint.
It'd be interesting to hear from them about how accurate they are within specific margins... I.E. if a team with a DSR sum 500 less than their opponents results in a higher margin of correct predictions, or what the average DSR variances are in pub games / in their tests.
|
|
|
|
|
|