• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:36
CEST 17:36
KST 00:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror SC4ALL II: Brood War Player Announcement 4/4 Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10122 users

noob questions (sorry)

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
dirgewraith
Profile Joined May 2009
1 Post
May 21 2009 04:02 GMT
#1
I'm trying to decide what race to play, if you could answer these questions it would be much appreciated

1. Which races are the most, second most and least macro intensive/macro based?
2. Which races are the most, second most and least micro intensive/micro based?
3. Which races are the most, second most and least timing intensive/timing based?
4. Which races require the highest, second highest and lowest APM (typically)?
5. Which starcraft races would you liken to each warcraft 3 race?
6. Which race would you recommend me and why: I have little starcraft experience, less than 100 games online; however, I've played lots of other RTS games. I'm generally a fairly well rounded player in most games, but my RTS background is mainly in the age of empires series, so macro is typically my strong suit. My APM in any RTS game tends to start rather low, and goes up to about 120 when I've got the hang of the game. From there it slowly rises as I keep playing the game, but thus far I haven't stuck with any single game long enough to get past 140
7. An unrelated question, but how do pro SC players tend to use their control groups? I know WC3 pros tend to use 1-3 or 1-4 or 1-5 for units and the rest for buildings, but from what I've read about starcraft it seems pros use their control groups mainly for buildings...Can someone shed some light on this for me, maybe an example of a pro's control group setup?

Thanks in advance
ramen247
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States1256 Posts
May 21 2009 04:20 GMT
#2
lol.
i hate this ugly firebat. i want a marine.
404.Delirium
Profile Joined May 2008
United States1190 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-21 04:29:01
May 21 2009 04:28 GMT
#3
On May 21 2009 13:20 ramen247 wrote:
lol.


This is just bad. If I didn't have such a terrible fucking headache (seeing this thread is making it unbearable) I would answer each question with satire.


EDIT: This is bad = OP. I quote the "lol" in agreement
seriously next disrespectful comment in this blog is ip ban. Be happy or get the hell out. // SC2 is like playing with neutral-colored Play-Doh while BW is like colorful Legos.
konadora *
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Singapore66365 Posts
May 21 2009 04:30 GMT
#4
MY EYES
POGGERS
alien3456
Profile Joined June 2007
United States115 Posts
May 21 2009 04:33 GMT
#5
1. All races benefit equally from macro.
2. All races benefit equally from micro.
3. All races require good timing.
4. High APM will develop with your skill.
5. They're vastly different games.
6. Whichever race you have the most fun with.
7. Copying the way a pro does something does not make you pro.

I'm sure you already know all that, but there is no best race for anyone in particular.
huameng
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States1133 Posts
May 21 2009 04:34 GMT
#6
I have nothing to add except that Protoss is basically the Night Elves in Starcraft form and almost all progamers use hotkeys 2 and 7 for the most important units in their army (spellcasters, scouting units, scouts, etc)

Also, I think this post is in the wrong place!
skating
fusionsdf
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada15390 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-21 05:01:09
May 21 2009 04:36 GMT
#7
1 Terran/zerg, Protoss
2 zerg/terran, protoss
4. Terran, zerg, protoss
SKT_Best: "I actually chose Protoss because it was so hard for me to defeat Protoss as a Terran. When I first started Brood War, my main race was Terran."
404.Delirium
Profile Joined May 2008
United States1190 Posts
May 21 2009 04:38 GMT
#8
On May 21 2009 13:36 fusionsdf wrote:
1 Terran/zerg, Protoss
2 zerg/terran, protoss
3. Terran, zerg, protoss


You're terrible :<
seriously next disrespectful comment in this blog is ip ban. Be happy or get the hell out. // SC2 is like playing with neutral-colored Play-Doh while BW is like colorful Legos.
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
May 21 2009 04:38 GMT
#9
1. Varies by matchup (Zerg/Terran most, Protoss least)
2. Varies by matchup (Zerg/Terran most, Protoss least)
3. Protoss is most, Terran second, Zerg least.
4. Terran highest, Protoss second, Zerg least.
5. I don't play Warcraft 3. Terran = Orc, Zerg = Undead, Protoss = Night Elves.
6. 100% Protoss.
7. Varies by race and matchup. Protoss is typically 890 Nexus, 567 Gateways, 1234 Units.
Moderator
LeperKahn
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Romania1852 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-21 04:40:10
May 21 2009 04:39 GMT
#10
These questions remind me of something I might have to write an essay on in school.

"Which race would you recommend me and why"

Did you really expect someone to jump in and answer this question?
CJ Entusman #14 • http://soundcloud.com/discodinosaur • https://discosaur.bandcamp.com/
PiSan
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States160 Posts
May 21 2009 04:41 GMT
#11
Hi, and welcome to Starcraft!

You seem to have a slightly misguided perspective on the game based on what questions you asked. Things like "What race has the easiest micro" can't be answered simply. I would suggest that you read the recommended threads at the top of this forum:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=60601

There's tons of info in that thread, both general and race specific. If you learn what's in thereThat said, the answer you're probably looking for is this:

Start with protoss.


At the lower levels, you can get the most success with protoss if your basics are lacking. But I would suggest that you try them all out and learn the strengths and weaknesses of each by playing. '

P.S. You should also read this post about posting in the strategy forum. You'll get better responses if you follow the rules to the letter.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=60175
ragnasaur
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
United States804 Posts
May 21 2009 04:48 GMT
#12
i kinda get this...
(btw everything you do is dependent on the map, matchup, and starting build, but generally...)

1-> Terran requires the most APM and thus probably the most macro intensive because there is so much you need to do at all times. Plus their workers will go idle a lot more because they have to build shit.
2-> Zerg is generally regarded as the most micro dependent race because they have so many units on the map and they can all die very quickly, however this really lies in the matchup. Also pretty much every Terran unit has an ability, so you gotta micro that. And for Protoss you're units are so strong that microing just a few of them can turn an imbalanced battle in your favor.
3-> Timing is equally crucial to all races imo.
5-> "Warcraft is like the gay", so iono man...
7-> As a Zerg user i can tell you the we usually hotkey our units 1-4 and our Hatcheries 4 or 5+, but as the game progresses players will usually hotkey more groups of units or more hatcheries based on the players style. (hotkeys are pretty much 100% style though and i wouldn't recommend copying someones hotkeys unless you tweak it yourself.

btw like i said im Zerg so this post could be baised
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) George Forman doesnt have any fingerprints
fusionsdf
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada15390 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-21 05:01:35
May 21 2009 04:59 GMT
#13
On May 21 2009 13:38 404.Delirium wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 21 2009 13:36 fusionsdf wrote:
1 Terran/zerg, Protoss
2 zerg/terran, protoss
4. Terran, zerg, protoss


You're terrible :<


Chill agrees with me, except for the APM part which I dont understand at all.

I will quote from the bible of kkong[yg]:
YGCLAN: Most of the time, your race is protoss, so is there a reason or device that leads to this?
Kkong: There is no such thing. I’m more inclined toward the zerg with random, so I can do it, but my one-handed smoking habit merely led to the minimal multitasking protoss race. Therefore, I simply play many protoss vs zergs.

And Terran historically had higher APM players. Even though in the top ranks it is zerg and a protoss users with the highest APM, in general Terran requires the most APM, zerg second most and protoss the least.

Not saying that protoss is easy mode, or that is plays itself, just saying there are differences between the races that shouldn't be ignored.

Edit: oh nevermind 3 was timing lol...yeah then I agree protoss probably requires the most timing, but again this is matchup dependant
SKT_Best: "I actually chose Protoss because it was so hard for me to defeat Protoss as a Terran. When I first started Brood War, my main race was Terran."
Sentenal
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States12398 Posts
May 21 2009 05:16 GMT
#14
Protoss is mostly macro, then scouting, then timing (IMO).

In my experience, Zerg strategy is trying to do the gayest things possible to win, and Terran strategy is trying to do the most boring things possible to win. Unless its TvZ/ZvT, then you micro your ass off.
"Apparently, Sentenal is a paragon of friendship and tolerance. " - Ech0ne
cronican
Profile Joined February 2009
Canada424 Posts
May 21 2009 05:31 GMT
#15
On May 21 2009 14:16 Sentenal wrote:

In my experience, Zerg strategy is trying to do the gayest things possible to win.


There is certainly nothing homosexual about dropping your fat slow phallus in my backdoor or spraying your mana all over my members or sneaking your invisible unit into my sensitive mineral line either.
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
May 21 2009 06:08 GMT
#16
On May 21 2009 14:16 Sentenal wrote:
Protoss is mostly macro, then scouting, then timing (IMO).

In my experience, Zerg strategy is trying to do the gayest things possible to win, and Terran strategy is trying to do the most boring things possible to win. Unless its TvZ/ZvT, then you micro your ass off.


As the poster right before me said, toss has by far the easiest access to accomplish the gayest shit. Two high temp storms can destroy a mineral line for zerg, reavers are a goddamn bitch to fight, and you have a fucking invisible unit that can kill enemy workers WITHOUT ever alerting the player he's being attacked.

Toss gayness due to those things easily surpasses a zerg doing something like mutalisk micro or trying a lurker drop which is MUCH harder than a templar drop.

I've never been half decent with terran, but their harassment strategies are also much less homosexual than protoss.
Rainbow
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States249 Posts
May 21 2009 06:16 GMT
#17
On May 21 2009 13:02 dirgewraith wrote:
I'm trying to decide what race to play, if you could answer these questions it would be much appreciated

1. Which races are the most, second most and least macro intensive/macro based?
2. Which races are the most, second most and least micro intensive/micro based?
3. Which races are the most, second most and least timing intensive/timing based?
4. Which races require the highest, second highest and lowest APM (typically)?
5. Which starcraft races would you liken to each warcraft 3 race?
6. Which race would you recommend me and why: I have little starcraft experience, less than 100 games online; however, I've played lots of other RTS games. I'm generally a fairly well rounded player in most games, but my RTS background is mainly in the age of empires series, so macro is typically my strong suit. My APM in any RTS game tends to start rather low, and goes up to about 120 when I've got the hang of the game. From there it slowly rises as I keep playing the game, but thus far I haven't stuck with any single game long enough to get past 140
7. An unrelated question, but how do pro SC players tend to use their control groups? I know WC3 pros tend to use 1-3 or 1-4 or 1-5 for units and the rest for buildings, but from what I've read about starcraft it seems pros use their control groups mainly for buildings...Can someone shed some light on this for me, maybe an example of a pro's control group setup?

Thanks in advance


This is all IMO, All I've accomplished on iCCup is barely breaking D+ with every race.
1. Zerg/Protoss for most macro, terran for least.
2. Terran/ Zerg for most micro, protoss for least.
3. Terran is the most.
4. Terran>Zerg>Protoss
5. Never played W3
6. I would recommend not terran or zerg since you're macro heavy... although ANY race can play ANY style. From what I've seen and heard Protoss has the most emphasis on macro lately.
7. Not my place to elaborate on this. IMO use what feels good.
snorlax
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States755 Posts
May 21 2009 06:31 GMT
#18
1. Which races are the most, second most and least macro intensive/macro based?:I would have to go with Terran being the most Macro Based, then Zerg and protoss tied, however Zerg is the most Macro intensive then terran then toss

2. Which races are the most, second most and least micro intensive/micro based?: Terran is most micro intensive/micro based, then Zerg then Toss

3. Which races are the most, second most and least timing intensive/timing based?Terran is the most timing based, then it depends on the MU and build each player goes, foreinstance a +1 Timing attack by toss in a ZvP is very important to pull off correctly, similarly with Muta Harass

4. Which races require the highest, second highest and lowest APM (typically)?Varies on play style and EAPM(effective Apm's) and acutal Apms, July foreinstance has very high Apm were Zerg are usually under Terran, Nal_ra also has extremely low Apm's but uses his commands very efficiently

5. Which starcraft races would you liken to each warcraft 3 race?To hard to answer lolol (I play WC3 at a rather high level as orcs and I honestly can't connect them that much

6. Which race would you recommend me and why: I have little starcraft experience, less than 100 games online; however, I've played lots of other RTS games. I'm generally a fairly well rounded player in most games, but my RTS background is mainly in the age of empires series, so macro is typically my strong suit. My APM in any RTS game tends to start rather low, and goes up to about 120 when I've got the hang of the game. From there it slowly rises as I keep playing the game, but thus far I haven't stuck with any single game long enough to get past 140 I would recommend protoss, protoss are the most clean cut of the races, and because of this I always recommend them to new players, Zerg require a good understanding of larve and how to balance Drone and Unit production, and Terran are the hardest to succeed with until your mechanics are quite sound (I started with T and I can't tell you how many games I lost 50+ marines in a few seconds due to lurkers, or lost all my tanks due to not spreading them out and getting stormed or stasis

7. An unrelated question, but how do pro SC players tend to use their control groups? I know WC3 pros tend to use 1-3 or 1-4 or 1-5 for units and the rest for buildings, but from what I've read about starcraft it seems pros use their control groups mainly for buildings...Can someone shed some light on this for me, maybe an example of a pro's control group setup? its different depending on your play style and race and preference, but generall you hotkey your units and your buildings early game and late game your units, and maybe your expos, or one building in your macro line (Note the use of the F2-F4 keys, explained very well by Day[9]


NOTE: This thread may seem Terran weighted to you as them being the hardest race, that is not true, Terran is maybe the hardest on a very basic level but as I state before drone larve management is extremely tough, also protoss have some very strong units but if used inefectivley it can cause you a huge blow (No SK Terran remake your army in 30 seconds) =] I am not much of an expert on toss so im not sure why it is they are as hard in specific terms but through experience trust me there hard =]

Hope this helps
Comeh
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States18919 Posts
May 21 2009 06:34 GMT
#19
Really, just play protoss.
The questions don't really need to be answered.
Just play protoss.
Trust me.
ヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノDELETE ICEFROGヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(⌐■_■)ノヽ(
snorlax
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States755 Posts
May 21 2009 06:44 GMT
#20
On May 21 2009 15:34 Comeh wrote:
Really, just play protoss.
The questions don't really need to be answered.
Just play protoss.
Trust me.

I guess that explanation works as well =]
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
00:00
#14
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
Harstem247
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Harstem 247
IndyStarCraft 84
Railgan 79
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 54845
Shuttle 5896
BeSt 666
Horang2 515
actioN 327
Larva 257
ggaemo 172
Sexy 167
Soma 141
Last 111
[ Show more ]
Mind 103
Zeus 81
Killer 58
Aegong 57
hero 55
Hyun 55
Sea.KH 55
ToSsGirL 30
Bale 24
PianO 24
Rock 16
NaDa 15
Sacsri 6
Dewaltoss 1
Dota 2
Gorgc5142
qojqva2809
Dendi1471
420jenkins476
Fuzer 130
Counter-Strike
fl0m3804
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1224
Liquid`Hasu745
MindelVK13
Other Games
singsing1384
B2W.Neo807
Beastyqt705
Mlord501
byalli376
FrodaN374
ArmadaUGS202
Hui .191
KnowMe127
QueenE72
Mew2King54
CosmosSc2 24
Chillindude21
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick808
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream50
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 54
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3371
League of Legends
• Nemesis3285
Other Games
• WagamamaTV200
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 24m
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 24m
Replay Cast
7h 24m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 24m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
19h 24m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d
Replay Cast
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 18h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 19h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.