• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:38
CEST 10:38
KST 17:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
mca64Launcher 2.0 Sagi.gg Launcher Released [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7196 users

How Long Did It Take? - Page 7

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 12 Next All
ICCup.Reyis
Profile Joined September 2009
Niger25 Posts
November 16 2009 02:08 GMT
#121
epic :D
asdfqq
jalstar
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States8198 Posts
November 16 2009 02:15 GMT
#122
kolll was young and didn't understand that not everyone had the time to play as much as him
wok
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States504 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-16 03:07:24
November 16 2009 02:49 GMT
#123
Koll is amazing. Talent is wonderful. I wish I could get to C- by playing 300 games a season. (or 800 or 1300 for that matter... In about 5 months I've played 3000 games and am almost D+ in 2 matchups!)
I'll race you to defeatism... you win.
Speake
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States494 Posts
November 16 2009 03:06 GMT
#124
It took me about 8 months coming back from playing at like a c4 level (very bad) to get to C+ with zerg and it took me about 4 months of randomly playing protoss to get c+ with toss
tQ.Speake
SkylineSC
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States564 Posts
November 16 2009 03:16 GMT
#125
this feels a lot like a

"hi i'm 15, my penis is only (insert number) inches long, is that normal?"



serious note, it depend on the person. I played UMS/fastest for 3 years and when i first played lowmoney i can barely get to D+. and i'm now C- after about 6 months.

gl.
wok
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States504 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-16 03:25:23
November 16 2009 03:25 GMT
#126
On November 16 2009 12:16 BabyRhino wrote:
this feels a lot like a

"hi i'm 15, my penis is only (insert number) inches long, is that normal?"



serious note, it depend on the person. I played UMS/fastest for 3 years and when i first played lowmoney i can barely get to D+. and i'm now C- after about 6 months.

gl.

50 inches. is it?
I'll race you to defeatism... you win.
tree.hugger
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Philadelphia, PA10406 Posts
November 16 2009 03:30 GMT
#127
This is what it comes down to:

Gladwell's 10,000 hour rule
ModeratorEffOrt, Snow, GuMiho, and Team Liquid
SkylineSC
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States564 Posts
November 16 2009 04:30 GMT
#128
On November 16 2009 12:30 tree.hugger wrote:
This is what it comes down to:

Gladwell's 10,000 hour rule


read the book... doesn't apply to if you want to reach B- on iccup...

its more like if you want to be jaedong of starcraft.
Jyvblamo
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada13788 Posts
November 16 2009 04:42 GMT
#129
Mega kudos to the guy who bumped this thread. Funny stuff xD
Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
November 16 2009 04:43 GMT
#130
I think this shows that training for 12 hours in Korea can get your gameplay/game sense/mechanics up really fast. Koll is only 15, he have time to play. So I am pretty sure that other people can be as good at the progammers if he trains that much.
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44353 Posts
November 16 2009 04:46 GMT
#131
I'm a points whore and it holds me back hugely. I'm never happy with where I am and think "ok, it doesn't matter if I lose points because I got there". Whenever I set a new points high then I'm pissed off whenever I'm under that which is simply not sustainable. I go on sick tilt whenever I lose like 3 games in a row because I need to win those points back. But if I go on to win the next 10 games and then lose another 3 I'll still be on sick tilt, even though I've gained points overall.
Don't be like that, just keep grinding out the games vs koreans.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Retsukage
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States1002 Posts
November 16 2009 05:20 GMT
#132
This is hilarious, I remember when this thread was fresh I thought he was full of shit lol. I wonder how these people find the energy to play games as much as they do and be so great at this game.
To change is to improve, to change often is to be perfect - Winston Chruchill
wok
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States504 Posts
November 16 2009 06:40 GMT
#133
I wonder how people find the energy to play games as much as they do and still suck.
I'll race you to defeatism... you win.
tree.hugger
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Philadelphia, PA10406 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-16 07:26:19
November 16 2009 07:25 GMT
#134
On November 16 2009 13:30 BabyRhino wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2009 12:30 tree.hugger wrote:
This is what it comes down to:

Gladwell's 10,000 hour rule


read the book... doesn't apply to if you want to reach B- on iccup...

its more like if you want to be jaedong of starcraft.


you're very bad. for example me. i read Outliers for 5days and reached in my first week book in hand the end and im reading What the Dog Saw right now so it's gotta be pretty bad to think I didn't read the book after posting that
ModeratorEffOrt, Snow, GuMiho, and Team Liquid
samachking
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Bahrain4949 Posts
November 16 2009 07:41 GMT
#135
On November 16 2009 16:25 tree.hugger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2009 13:30 BabyRhino wrote:
On November 16 2009 12:30 tree.hugger wrote:
This is what it comes down to:

Gladwell's 10,000 hour rule


read the book... doesn't apply to if you want to reach B- on iccup...

its more like if you want to be jaedong of starcraft.


you're very bad. for example me. i read Outliers for 5days and reached in my first week book in hand the end and im reading What the Dog Saw right now so it's gotta be pretty bad to think I didn't read the book after posting that


I find it quite hilarious that someone can publish a book that just basically says:
time invested in a subject + luck + right place/right time=success in the subject

and it becomes a bestseller
Well Gladwell is a pretty good raconteur so that makes up for it I guess
"And then Earthlings discovered tools. Suddenly agreeing with friends could be a form of suicide or worse. But agreements went on, not for the sake of common sense, or decency, or self preservation, but for friendliness."
[DUF]MethodMan
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Germany1716 Posts
November 16 2009 08:33 GMT
#136
On November 16 2009 07:37 Piy wrote:
DRAMMAAAAA from the past. Seriously guys, Kolll played a huge amount to get this good this fast. If anyone played the amount he played they would have gotten a similar result. People are still trapped in the mentality that you've got to have some kind of unwritten gift to be able to be good at this game, and feel that they must obviously not have it when they play 5 games a day and struggle to make C-

yknow, cause it's easier than saying - "maybe if I want to get good, I should play more."


I'm no Kolll fanboy at all, more of the opposite. But you do realize there is a shit ton of players on ICCup having the same or even more games played than him and they still suck.
Just last night I played some dude in BWCL who had like 200-200 C+ (Kolll when just practising has the same winratio at that level) and I managed to expand into his 2nd nat on Collo while building Scouts there.

While it sounds like bragging, it's just the most recent example why your statement isn't true at all.

Yes, you need to play an insane amount of games to get this good in that short amount of time BUT, it's not like anyone could do it.
Jakalo
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Latvia2350 Posts
November 16 2009 08:34 GMT
#137
On November 16 2009 16:41 samachking wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2009 16:25 tree.hugger wrote:
On November 16 2009 13:30 BabyRhino wrote:
On November 16 2009 12:30 tree.hugger wrote:
This is what it comes down to:

Gladwell's 10,000 hour rule


read the book... doesn't apply to if you want to reach B- on iccup...

its more like if you want to be jaedong of starcraft.


you're very bad. for example me. i read Outliers for 5days and reached in my first week book in hand the end and im reading What the Dog Saw right now so it's gotta be pretty bad to think I didn't read the book after posting that


I find it quite hilarious that someone can publish a book that just basically says:
time invested in a subject + luck + right place/right time=success in the subject

and it becomes a bestseller
Well Gladwell is a pretty good raconteur so that makes up for it I guess


Are you kidding? You can publish your book about your life as 13 year old boy who likes women clothes and proceeds to make sex change operation and be called hero for your success story.
Like it counts, unless you win an olympic medal of course =]
Nostalgia is not as good as it used to be.
Ao_Jun
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Denmark396 Posts
November 16 2009 09:11 GMT
#138
I think the fact that koll had the right state of mind, started while he was young, good hand-eye coordination, Massive practise and probably alot of other factors play a role in his getting good fast.

I believe that everyone could get to at least C lvl in an iccup season, and probably B or so in 2 (But these numbers(LETTERZ!) are completely made up on the spot) I just think it takes more than brutal´mass gaming, i think you have to focus when you play, don't watch TV meanwhile, you have to not tilt when you lose, think about why you lost/won, study BO's, and so on. Saying "I played 600 games in 2 months and im stuck at D+" does not mean you have no talent - you might just not be playing the right way.

And i think it's extremely impressive that koll could do what he did - takes real dedication. Mad street cred to him and his crew.
you are one of the least benigtedly unintelligent organic life forms it has been my profound lack of pleasure not to be able to avoid meeting.
Scaramanga
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Australia8093 Posts
November 16 2009 09:29 GMT
#139
On November 16 2009 07:29 Boblion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2009 07:05 SkelA wrote:
On November 16 2009 06:44 Boblion wrote:
Actually his post is still stupid. I'm happy for him after his WCG performance and he is indeed gifted for this game but this:
On October 13 2008 22:35 Kolll wrote:
it's very bad. for example me.. i play sc for 5months and reached in my first season iccup b- and im c+ right now so it's gotta be pretty bad to be at d+ lvl after 1year

shows a lack of maturity.

Although i didn't believe him at first, my main problem was that he was pretty much bragging and bm. But well he is like 14... had to be expected.



Why is it braging or "bm" if he is telling the truth.... maybe its little imature but he was like 12-13 years then .

He just compared OP with himself which is extremly bad compared to him and you are still got the nerve talking bad about kolll this after acting like a complete douchebag at that time ... shhh pls


On October 13 2008 23:15 Boblion wrote:
OMG you SO nub i pWn u ez u Stone AGe noob. I'm in GosU clan [ROxOR-L33t] @ EAST and I'm A+ ICCUP in 2 Days.
Kill' UrSELF nub !



Damn your post was extremly intelegent 1 year ago and you still as much or more "intelegent" today

I'm very intelegent

You're diggin' yourself deeper man keep going
Loda talked about the fun counter, it's AdmiralBulldog on his natures prophet
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
November 16 2009 10:06 GMT
#140
well... for me it's been like 4-5 years since i discovered iccup and i'm still a D but i don't play enough to improve.
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 12 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 22m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 690
actioN 461
Mong 213
Dewaltoss 109
BeSt 99
Killer 82
sSak 67
Aegong 35
ZergMaN 32
Bale 32
[ Show more ]
NotJumperer 26
sorry 19
yabsab 13
Noble 9
League of Legends
JimRising 470
Counter-Strike
byalli578
Other Games
summit1g9370
olofmeister951
Happy344
Sick184
crisheroes174
KnowMe92
Pyrionflax10
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick667
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream48
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos907
• Stunt467
Other Games
• WagamamaTV38
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
1h 22m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2h 22m
Monday Night Weeklies
7h 22m
Replay Cast
14h 22m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 1h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 2h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 15h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.