• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:02
CEST 18:02
KST 01:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)47Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7922 users

[Interview] Perfectman Joins KT

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
rotinegg
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States1719 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-16 23:57:08
January 16 2012 18:45 GMT
#1
* There is already a thread created by Pro7ecT that has a picture of Perfectman in a KT uniform and a link to a Fomos article that's in Korean; this is a translation of DES's interview for English users. I wanted to translate this article in particular because it sheds light on the sad reality that is the life of a progamer, and what his future beholds.

(P)PerfectMan upon joining KT: "I ran my ass up in the middle of doing manual labor"

[image loading]


"When KT gave me the call I ran my ass up without giving it a second thought. I was desperate. I feel like I just won the lottery."

Perfectman was lost when Hwaseung Oz disbanded abruptly. He wasn't drafted during the posting process, so 22-year-old perfectman had to give up his dream as a progamer, and enlist himself in the labor forces for manual labor jobs. Perhaps that explains why perfectman looked much thinner than when we had met him five months ago.

"It wasn't because our house is poor (laughs). After ending my career as a progamer I had nothing to do. I didn't want to sit at home and do nothing. I didn't want to waste my time as a twenty two-year-old. The best option for me was manual labor." [T/N: My cousin did manual labor on weekends to buy a present for his girlfriend. Think illegal alien labor markets if you are American: you enlist yourself and gather at 6:30am where employers will pick their workers for the day and you do whatever they tell you. You get decent pay but it is physically demanding, and you can't stop because the next worker in line is always waiting to replace you tomorrow.]

Perfectman felt a sense of appreciation for the game, one that he hadn't felt while he still had his career. He regretted not giving it his best shot while he still had the chance. He had a hard time resisting the urge to go back to playing BW for a career.

"I finally realized what it feels to be unable to play [as a career] even if you want. All these memories of PL made me melancholy. I felt like that was where I belonged but in reality I was here and I questioned why. Watching my ex-teammates win games made me crave playing BW even more strongly. But I couldn't play."

Perfectman was forced to give it all up. He had to report to the labor forces facilities by 5am [Ok I guess it's even earlier than I remember] and perform manual labor daily, putting away his dreams as a progamer, until one day out of the blue, he received a call from KT. They asked if he would like to play again.

"I didn't even listen to their suggested salary, benefits, terms or conditions. I literally bowed on the phone and said thank you. Even though they couldn't see it I bowed. I packed my stuff immediately and went up to Seoul that day. Somebody up there must have heard my prayers and decided to give me a second chance."

Even when news broke of Wemade Fox and MBC Game disbanding, Perfectman felt it was a non-concern. But after Hwaseung Oz announced their disbandment after the 10-11 season in August, Perfectman's days were spent in misery. Even the posting process did little to lift up his mood.

"I didn't believe it. Hwaseung isn't some small, local company; it's a big company, so disbanding didn't even cross my mind. I didn't feel anything when I heard the news of posting. I felt like I had lost everything overnight."

When Perfectman's hopes of continuing his career through the posting process were smothered, he was at a loss. He realized his days of progaming were over, but he couldn't just sit at home and do nothing. He felt ashamed to mooch off of his parents at the age of twenty-two, so he entered the workforce.

"Doing manual labor taught me that money doesn't come easy. Of course I'm not saying that progaming is an easy job, but at least I enjoyed it, and I was building a career towards my dream. Other jobs, you just work for pay, day in and day out. It was stifling."

This period has taught Perfectman many lessons. He realized the value behind every one of his games. After joining KT a week ago, he has played every game with a thankful mindset. He has been practicing harder than anybody and doing his best to return to form.

"There is no desperation as great as mine. I hit rock bottom so I can only go up from here. I will not waste my second chance that almost never came. I am not the Perfectman of the past. I will absolutely play to the best of my abilities."

Even though he took a break for five months, he says his skill has not deteriorated that much. He has been learning a thing or two from KT's (P)Stats and developing as a player. Perfectman is determined to pay back his savior, KT, with good results.

"I will do my best. I never want to have the regrets that I had when I was doing manual labor. If I give every moment my best, regardless of what happens, at least I won't have any regrets. I hope KT doesn't have any plans of disbanding anytime soon (laughs)? My life is on the line so please give me support and be on the lookout for me."

Source: Daily E-sports
Translator
Fionn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States23455 Posts
January 16 2012 18:50 GMT
#2
Wow, one of the best interviews I've ever read. Perfectman is a boss.
Writerhttps://twitter.com/FionnOnFire
prplhz
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Denmark8045 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-16 18:51:20
January 16 2012 18:51 GMT
#3
Nice translation, thanks a lot.

5 months of hard manual labor, I fear for what has happened to the other ex-progamers who haven't found a new team
http://i.imgur.com/M7t7egx.png
Taekwon
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8155 Posts
January 16 2012 18:52 GMT
#4
Wow. Really makes you appreciate Brood War on a whole new level. Happiness just exudes from his pores!

I really hope perfectman does well!
▲ ▲ ▲
Xpeijz
Profile Joined January 2011
Finland400 Posts
January 16 2012 18:58 GMT
#5
That was pretty touching. Perfectman really pouring his heart out, gotta appreciate it. Hope that he will reach satisfying results.
amazingxkcd
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
GRAND OLD AMERICA16375 Posts
January 16 2012 18:58 GMT
#6
What about his dreams as a girls' high school teacher?
The world is burning and you rather be on this terrible website discussing video games and your shallow feelings
Iplaythings
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Denmark9110 Posts
January 16 2012 19:00 GMT
#7
+1 perfectman fan

Now thats passion for you
In the woods, there lurks..
Condor Hero
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States2931 Posts
January 16 2012 19:10 GMT
#8
Wait so his family isn't poor and he did manual labor just to keep busy?
I guess that's cool, at least it's great exercise.
Lebesgue
Profile Joined October 2008
4542 Posts
January 16 2012 19:10 GMT
#9
I found the story very touching. How can one root against him from now on? I will keep my fingers crossed for him. Even though I wasn't his fan I'm really thankful that KT signed him... The kid sounds so happy about it
Kieofire
Profile Joined June 2011
United States1809 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-16 19:16:59
January 16 2012 19:11 GMT
#10
That was a very touching interview, thanks for translating it.

Wish him the best on getting back into form and playing for KT.
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10567 Posts
January 16 2012 19:12 GMT
#11
I LOVE YOU PERFECTMAN!!!!

touching. i hope he returns to form to fit in that hole where violet's soul still belongs. Then we'll have a lineup of FlaSh, Stats, Perfectman, Violet, and REACH. (Sorry Hoejja, but SS2 isn't as cool as being the most manly man on earth)
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
rotinegg
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States1719 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-16 19:14:20
January 16 2012 19:12 GMT
#12
On January 17 2012 04:10 Condor Hero wrote:
Wait so his family isn't poor and he did manual labor just to keep busy?
I guess that's cool, at least it's great exercise.

He wanted to work but he had no college degree nor any desirable skills - leaves you with manual labor or working part time at starbucks as your only options.
Translator
KristianJS
Profile Joined October 2009
2107 Posts
January 16 2012 19:15 GMT
#13
Moving interview. Hope he does well!
You need to be 100% behind someone before you can stab them in the back
Essbee
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Canada2371 Posts
January 16 2012 19:16 GMT
#14
Wow I wish him the best of luck. Brood war need to live forever for all our beloved progamers.

It's sad tho if you think about all the other progamers who didn't find a team
Condor Hero
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States2931 Posts
January 16 2012 19:17 GMT
#15
On January 17 2012 04:12 rotinegg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 17 2012 04:10 Condor Hero wrote:
Wait so his family isn't poor and he did manual labor just to keep busy?
I guess that's cool, at least it's great exercise.

He wanted to work but he had no college degree nor any desirable skills - leaves you with manual labor or working part time at starbucks as your only options.

Did he finish high school at least?
I know he's been around for a long time.
moopie
Profile Joined July 2009
12605 Posts
January 16 2012 19:21 GMT
#16
Not a perfectman fan, but reading this made me very happy for him.

I'm glad he gets to continue following his dream
I'm going to sleep, let me get some of that carpet.
Weedk
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States507 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-18 15:45:35
January 16 2012 19:30 GMT
#17
Perfectman put the man in perfectman. Even if his family wasn't poor, he worked manual labor just to not be a drain on his family. I hope his renewed passion leads to better results.

Edit: Wow, how did I not see my typo for days =_=
[sc1f]eonzerg
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Belgium7088 Posts
January 16 2012 19:52 GMT
#18
gogo perfectman
Muffinman53
Profile Joined November 2010
571 Posts
January 16 2012 20:30 GMT
#19
Wow, such dedication. So glad he's getting another chance <3
Thanks for the translation!
Kiett
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States7639 Posts
January 16 2012 20:38 GMT
#20
Man, that's rough. It is sad though that this career path pretty much forces you to have no choices outside of it. You don't have time to go to school because then you're falling behind all the people who are only practicing, but if you don't go to school, you have few skills to succeed outside of gaming :/

I'm glad Perfectman got his second chance.
Writer:o
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
IntoTheiNu 1249
ComeBackTV 567
SteadfastSC463
TaKeTV 430
LamboSC2390
IndyStarCraft 168
Rex139
EnkiAlexander 53
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
13:00
King of the Hill #263
EmpressLilyy25
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 455
LamboSC2 395
mouzHeroMarine 221
IndyStarCraft 162
ProTech156
Rex 131
BRAT_OK 72
UpATreeSC 41
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 35238
Shuttle 1909
Mini 916
EffOrt 880
Light 575
Horang2 498
Rush 328
firebathero 320
Soma 299
Snow 201
[ Show more ]
ZerO 173
BeSt 166
hero 149
sorry 57
Killer 43
Liquid`Ret 35
Mong 33
Shinee 30
ToSsGirL 30
Sexy 24
Bale 20
soO 19
Trap 17
Shine 15
Free 12
Sacsri 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Terrorterran 9
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc8349
qojqva1255
Dendi971
420jenkins139
Counter-Strike
fl0m1193
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor2013
crisheroes1265
XaKoH 182
MindelVK9
Other Games
singsing1863
B2W.Neo1073
Liquid`VortiX202
Hui .199
ArmadaUGS132
QueenE108
KnowMe94
Mew2King92
Trikslyr53
ToD33
Beastyqt23
Dewaltoss21
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream84
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 5
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile121
• Gemini_19 18
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 17
• FirePhoenix10
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3154
• TFBlade1151
Other Games
• Shiphtur206
• WagamamaTV205
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 58m
Stellar Fest
20h 58m
OSC
1d 5h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 17h
Online Event
1d 18h
FEL
1d 23h
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.