• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:12
CEST 02:12
KST 09:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8027 users

Tech support icons!

Forum Index > Website Feedback
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
nttea
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Sweden4353 Posts
March 31 2011 21:48 GMT
#1
I'm posting here to encourage mods to give special tech support icons to guys like myrmidon (and others, theres a few!) i read the tech support forums alot out of curiosity and there are lots of people posting uninformed opinions as advice all the time, though some people consistently know what they are talking about and spend alot of time giving great advice to people. I think it would be appropriate and it would help users value their advice higher.
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-31 22:12:49
March 31 2011 22:12 GMT
#2
I think bad advice should be reportable, however that's a very thin line.
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
April 01 2011 01:01 GMT
#3
tech support isn't opinion based it's factual you have a problem and it can be measured and fixed. What i think is wrong is people being confident in their recommendations to what a person should do when i'm sure they have doubts. They just need to come off as more passive in their role.
echO [W]
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1495 Posts
April 01 2011 01:11 GMT
#4
I think it would be hard to have a structured and fair way of deciding who should get an icon and who shouldn't.
"Or a school bus over a bunch of kids" - Tasteless --- “A man's errors are his portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
April 01 2011 01:32 GMT
#5
fair FAIR?!?!?! lol could just run off same system are good posts for strategy forum. Sure making a mistake in sc2 strategy can cost you a game but with tech support it could cost you a computer :D or at least a call in to a professional and 2 weeks without it
Rhyme
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1069 Posts
April 01 2011 01:56 GMT
#6
they already have the little blue stars for quality posters; maybe suggest he gets one if he's super helpful all the time
dont ever say that
SonuvBob
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Aiur21552 Posts
April 01 2011 03:55 GMT
#7
SC2 strategy has highlighted posters; that would probably work for the tech support forum.

All applicants must pass a test written by R1CH.
Administrator
kOre
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Canada3642 Posts
April 01 2011 04:18 GMT
#8
On April 01 2011 12:55 SonuvBob wrote:
SC2 strategy has highlighted posters; that would probably work for the tech support forum.

All applicants must pass a test written by R1CH.

Have fun passing that test lololol
http://www.starcraftmecca.net - Founder
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
April 01 2011 06:06 GMT
#9
Here's a hit to pass R1CH's test:

Sweep the leg.
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
2Pacalypse-
Profile Joined October 2006
Croatia9559 Posts
April 02 2011 00:04 GMT
#10
A sample of R1CH's test:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=119992
Moderator"We're a community of geniuses because we've found how to extract 95% of the feeling of doing something amazing without actually doing anything." - Chill
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
April 02 2011 00:44 GMT
#11
On April 02 2011 09:04 2Pacalypse- wrote:
A sample of R1CH's test:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=119992

Fgnepensg 2 Orgn Xrl Punyyratr #2 = Starcraft 2 Beta Key #2
So we have
S = F
t = g
a = n
r = e
c = p
f = s

And now we have the cipher (which was rot13 btw). Look at the source. See JavaScript embedded in the post. Lots of cryptic looking stuff.

There's an if. if the if is true, pop up a message box. If it's false, redirect the window. What's the condition? Well it's checking the textbox against something so obviously the one that's referencing the document is that and the conditional is against \x70\x68\x61\x73\x65\x34. Run a basic hex->string converter and you get phase4. Enter that and you get taken to a new page with a word riddle.

Phase 4

I was born in 1969, but it took four years before I was defined. As I grew old, I was not called upon nearly as much as when I was young. My lucky numbers are 15 and 854. I am on the 7th floor, but there are no more above me.

When you have discovered who I am, kindly direct me to teamliquid.net.


He's R1CH so it's obviously something programm-y. Quick search of "programming languages 1969 15 854 7" gives Telnet as the 3rd result. So open telnet and connect to teamliquid.net

Unfortunately I have to restart to use telnet (not enabled by default on W7 -.-) so that's where I'll stop.


It's really not that hard of a puzzle.
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
Grobyc
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada18410 Posts
April 03 2011 05:18 GMT
#12
Special icons or highlighted users would be nice, but they should mainly be assigned to users who are proficient at a specific skills. Programming, computer hardware, networking, streaming gurus, etc, should be given them. I know you're joking, but there's no way you could qualify posters without simply reading their posts regarding the stuff they say they know. I go to school for network and telecom engineering, so I think I'm fine giving advice on that, but I only semi know what I'm talking about in some other tech support genres.
If you watch Godzilla backwards it's about a benevolent lizard who helps rebuild a city and then moonwalks into the ocean.
nttea
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Sweden4353 Posts
April 03 2011 05:42 GMT
#13
On April 03 2011 14:18 Grobyc wrote:
Special icons or highlighted users would be nice, but they should mainly be assigned to users who are proficient at a specific skills. Programming, computer hardware, networking, streaming gurus, etc, should be given them. I know you're joking, but there's no way you could qualify posters without simply reading their posts regarding the stuff they say they know. I go to school for network and telecom engineering, so I think I'm fine giving advice on that, but I only semi know what I'm talking about in some other tech support genres.

i don't know who you know is joking, I'm assuming you are not referring to me. The people i imagine would get a special tech support icon are people who post there alot, always with helpful advice. They don't post advice on stuff they don't know, and are pretty clear on what they are sure about and what they are not so sure about.
Grobyc
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada18410 Posts
April 03 2011 06:25 GMT
#14
I was referring to Sonuvbob about the R1CH test. Some people can have helpful suggestions if they aren't sure but are making a recommendation that wouldn't hurt to try. If it's a hardware question for example that has a definite answer, I agree about only posting if they are educated, but I've also seen people make a suggestion they weren't sure of that helped the OP in many occasions on things that don't always have a definite answer.
If you watch Godzilla backwards it's about a benevolent lizard who helps rebuild a city and then moonwalks into the ocean.
nttea
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Sweden4353 Posts
April 03 2011 19:28 GMT
#15
On April 03 2011 15:25 Grobyc wrote:
I was referring to Sonuvbob about the R1CH test. Some people can have helpful suggestions if they aren't sure but are making a recommendation that wouldn't hurt to try. If it's a hardware question for example that has a definite answer, I agree about only posting if they are educated, but I've also seen people make a suggestion they weren't sure of that helped the OP in many occasions on things that don't always have a definite answer.

no disagreements here
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
May 05 2011 02:33 GMT
#16
I definitely would throw in votes for skyR and Myrmidon getting recognition. The number of hardware questions they answer daily, with links to back up anything that gets doubted is insane. They definitely know what they're talking about and contribute a ton.
semantics
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
10040 Posts
May 05 2011 06:08 GMT
#17
well the beauty of computer tech support, if you know how to use search engines you know how to troubleshoot. just test people on their proficiency in finding something. The problem with the tech forum is like 3 line op's where they have an issue but they don't give enough information so follow up questions are asked but they aren't answered right away.
nttea
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Sweden4353 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-06 06:47:10
July 06 2011 06:42 GMT
#18
Bump! there should be something done about the tech support forum; way too many idiots drowning the really good support not only by their own terrible advice but also by the ensuing discussions.
Edit!: i saw This thread just after i bumped this ^_^ sorry! i will now go instead and report some of the offenders.
Kazragore
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States369 Posts
July 11 2011 05:14 GMT
#19
I literally came to the Website Feedback forum just to post this! Good thing I used the search function first, heh

But anyway, I think that the blue background / highlighted post idea should be ported over to the tech support forum (as Sonuvbob stated above). I always see solid advice from skyr and jinglehell, so I'd hope that they get highlighted. I can also attest to myrmidon's competency as he was extremely helpful to me when I was building my computer back in the winter (it turned out great!).

A lot of the time I see people talking out of their asses and arguing with people like jinglehell when he is clearly right, and I feel like jingle spends a lot of time trying to convince the OP (or whoever needs help) not to take the advice of, ahem, *under-informed* posters. I think highlighting the well informed and intelligent members of the tech support forum would limit the amount of idiots trying to argue with professionals, and if they spend less time arguing they can spend more time helping!
Imagine if i had a REAL weapon
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
July 11 2011 07:52 GMT
#20
I think people who use Google to give advice should get a temporary ban. It's probably the biggest insult and waste of time.
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
CranKy Ducklings54
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 147
SpeCial 110
CosmosSc2 48
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 1482
Rain 1393
Artosis 623
910 56
Bale 13
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm118
League of Legends
Doublelift3443
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox188
Other Games
summit1g9106
shahzam567
JimRising 382
C9.Mang0349
PiGStarcraft260
Maynarde129
Vindicta9
Liquid`Ken8
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick822
BasetradeTV188
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream25
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 114
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP59
• davetesta23
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21388
Other Games
• imaqtpie841
• Shiphtur199
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 48m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
10h 48m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
23h 48m
Patches Events
1d 15h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.