• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:49
CEST 00:49
KST 07:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)52Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9890 users

Self Surgery

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 12 13 14 Next All
TheOvermind77
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
United States923 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-11 15:34:23
March 06 2009 00:04 GMT
#1
So, I have this cherry hemangioma (as verified by a doctor) that just appeared out of nowhere on my chest. And it is huge.

It hasn't gone down in a few weeks, and just bleeds if I mess with it too much.

I've decided to forfeit waiting six months for a dermatologist appointment to remove it and just self remove it.

I know self surgery is dangerous, but I figure I can remove a silly hemangioma.

So here is my plan:

1. Soak knife in soap then boil for a few minutes
2. Hold ice to hemangioma for a few minutes to numb it.
3. Scrub are with alcohol and thoroughly wash hands
4. Raise and cut, apply gauze and pressure to stop bleeding.
5. Apply neosporin.
6. Sterile bandage.

Should fix it, right?

Only bad thing is that a hemangioma is a collection of capillaries, so bleeding is going to be an issue. Figure salt or pepper could be a backup coagulant if I can't get it to stop.

So anyone have any suggestions (besides go to the doctor)? Anyone else cut a mole/hemangioma like this with success?

UPDATE:

SOOOOOOOOOOO

First of all, I've had experience with both animal and cadaver small scale surgery and wound closure and I'm going into med school.

But some of you are right, I'm not yet a doctor so this was probably a bad idea.

SO here is the fail story:

1. I tie off the hemangioma because I think it's a good idea
2. I accidentally tie it too tight, causing it to start to bleed.
3. I try to stop the blood everywhere and end up ripping off part of the part I sinched off with dental floss.
4. I run upstairs, stripping off my clothes to avoid getting blood everywhere.
5. My roommate looks at me and goes "WHAT THE FUCK?!"
6. I grab tequila (40%) quickly and scrub the wound with sterile gauze and tequila.
7. I grab my boiled scissors and cut off the excess that's hanging.
8. Roommate walks in, sees blood everywhere and goes "WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING?"
9. I close the door on him.
10. Scrub more tequila on it.
11. Use a dishrag to start soaking up blood.
12. Blood everywhere.
13. Kick open door, run downstairs, grab sterile gauze pads and run upstairs.
14. Roommate asks if I need help, has IPA in hand. I take the IPA.
15. Girlfriend calls. Hang up because I can't talk.
16. Rescrub wound with LOTS of IPA, pour it on it.
17. Use one sterile gauze pad to soak blood off wound.
18. Use next three gauze pads to apply pressure on wound.
19. Bandage gauze pads to chest.
20. Laugh, walk downstairs, read how stupid I am on TL.net, and then make this post.

It isn't bleeding anymore...or at least I think.

Build character, right?

UPDATE #2:

So, I have an update for you guys...the rest of the story.

If you want a one line summary:

DON'T EVER DO THIS!

SO!

THAT NIGHT:

I thought I stopped the bleeding. And then my girlfriend calls and wants to come over.

So I'm like OK, all is clear, gauze is on there, I'm fine.

We go to eat some dinner, and we come back and I want to check on the status of my self-fail-surgery. I lift up the gauze and it started gushing blood. So, my girlfriend looked at me and she was like "OH MY GOD!" And my response was similar to the one this guy gave...

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


So I try to put pressure on it and keep it clean. I use more alcohol, and she starts freaking out, I told her to give me thirty minutes.

So two hours later I still hadn't gotten it to stop, and I was also filling a bit lightheaded because my blood volume had gone down just a hair, so I chugged some water to start helping it get back up. Pressure was stopping the bleeding, but it wouldn't clot.

So I went to Walgreens to get a styptic pen.

+ Show Spoiler +
OH, too bad, they were out.
[image loading]


Oh, what's that? You don't carry styptic pens and I need a prescription for Silver Nitrate?! FML!

My girlfriend yells at me until I agree to go to an emergency room.

So we get there around midnight and the waiting room is like this:

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Nurse says the wait time is six and a half hours. Hell, I think, by then the Walmart will be open and I can go buy some styptic.

So I consider self-cauterization. Then decide against it, as burn wounds have a pretty high chance of infection without clinical-grade sterilization.

So I buy some saline wash, scrub the wound with alcohol, rinse it with pressurized saline wash, and then gauze it for the night. Girlfriend isn't too happy.

NEXT MORNING

I lift the gauze. No bleeding, except that the clot is now integrated with the gauze. So I try to rinse it off with saline and...pop, there goes the clot, and now it's like this:

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


So I gauze it and rush my ass to an immediate care center (which is like an emergency room for cases that aren't TOO much of an emergency).

I tell the doctor I was a dumbass and messed with a hemangioma. I show her the gauze pad and tell her that it is going to bleed if I remove it.

"Go ahead, remove it."
"No, it will bleed a lot."
"It's fine."
"You need gloves."
"Just take it off."
(I take it off)
"SHit I need gloves."
(Hands me gauze)
"Apply pressure. Uh, kelly, do we have a cauterizing device in the trauma unit? No? Do we have any silver nitrate?"

She goes and looks for ten minutes for the stuff while I'm laying down, cursing my luck. She finally finds some, scrubs my wound, puts on silver nitrate, a non-stick bandage, some gauze and tells me to leave it alone for 24 hours. She also says that I need to get it lasered sometime, because it might bleed again. She also gives me a tetanus shot for the hell of it.

Called dermatologists earlier today, all of them have wait times in the excess of two-three months.

So I got some styptic and antibacterial spray and I'm going to have to make do until my appointment. I haven't removed the bandage yet but I hope it won't bleed anymore!

SOOOOO

Lesson has been learned. Just because you think you might know how to do something doesn't necessarily mean you know how, or even if you do (I sort of, as in slightly knew what to do) you probably don't have the tools to do it.

Fun day.

UPDATE #3:

Hahah, glad I'm getting some interesting feedback on my heroic/stupid actions.

I figure that when I do finally become a full-fledged MD, I can tell this story to patients who are contemplating doing something like this themselves.

It really would have been nice to know that deodorant had anticoagulants in it, I didn't know it had AlCl.

Another update on the wound...

Took off the bandage yesterday, and my skin is irritated a fuckton from so many bandages. The lady must have applied ten of them, 3 inches thick and 10 inches long, in a crosstitch pattern of a rhinoceros. I've had to use alcohol to dissolve the glue because it's so thick on my skin and it won't come off, and some glue near the hemangioma won't come off until I think it's safe to scrub it.

So the end result to the hemangioma, at the present time, is that it is now the size of your average mole, if not a bit smaller, and is now flush with the surface of my skin. Must have gone deeper than I thought, but at least it isn't as big (probably now 1/6 of its former godzillaesque size).

So for
-2 units of blood
-$10 medical supplies
-$20 copay
-1 gallon of gas
-1 pissed off girlfriend
-10 scoops of poor judgement

You can get a reduced-sized hemangioma!

I guess it beats the price of a surgery for complete removal, because they usually consider it a "cosmetic" surgery. I'm going to tell them this story and convince them that it is life-threatening so it gets removed using my insurance. Dude, I almost bled out on this thing...

I would post pictures but I do not have a digital camera, ever since I broke it while at a party (beer spray owns digital cameras).

UPDATE FINAL (?):

Man, I feel like a total bitch.

I have an appointment set up for tomorrow to get this thing lasered off (it keeps bleeding if I rub it too much).

So after this epic journey, I end up exactly where I should have - in the office of a doctor who is qualified and has the right tools to do the job. Irony...

On the positive side...at least I'm settling things with this hemangioma. He's going to eat laser and burn to death.

UPDATE (POST-DOCTOR):

So I went to the dermatologist today, who is probably the nicest person I have ever met.

The lesion hadn't been bleeding for a bit, but when I took off the bandage in front of the doctor it started shooting like old faithful.

Apparently it's a pyogenic granuloma, a lesion that can have excessive recurring bleeding and is quite nasty looking. Check out some pictures online if you want an idea of what it looks like.

She numbed it, excised it for biopsy, and cauterized pretty deep to prevent recurrence, although I've read that this fucker has a 15% chance of coming back.

Well, I'll be ready this time. With my home-bought cauterizing device!

Jk, never again.

/endblog
Awaken my child, and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that I am the Overmind; the eternal will of the Swarm, and that you have been created to serve me.
chobopeon
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States7342 Posts
March 06 2009 00:07 GMT
#2
I sorta wish I knew something about this so I could offer advice. Still, let me be the first to say, "pics?"

before and after please, thanks.
:O
zobz
Profile Joined November 2005
Canada2175 Posts
March 06 2009 00:08 GMT
#3
Are you talking about removing a substantial amount of skin, or what? Are you sure your planned methods of avoiding infection are good enough? And do you know what you're doing, at all? You haven't mentioned that you've done any research. Finally why are you so anxious to get rid of this thing as quickly as possible?
"That's not gonna be good for business." "That's not gonna be good for anybody."
Weiman
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Netherlands91 Posts
March 06 2009 00:09 GMT
#4
hi2uscars.
Fontong
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States6454 Posts
March 06 2009 00:11 GMT
#5
This is exactly why I have suggest a TL medical forum in the past.
[SECRET FONT] "Dragoon bunker"
TheOvermind77
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
United States923 Posts
March 06 2009 00:12 GMT
#6
It looks like this:

http://www.vghks.gov.tw/derm/pic00/CherryAngioma2.gif

But higher off the skin because it's pretty big. SLightly smaller in width than a pencil eraser.
Awaken my child, and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that I am the Overmind; the eternal will of the Swarm, and that you have been created to serve me.
Racenilatr
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States2756 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-06 00:14:09
March 06 2009 00:13 GMT
#7
something to numb the pain after cut? lol it doesn't look TOO bad...
Ramsing
Profile Joined July 2007
Canada233 Posts
March 06 2009 00:14 GMT
#8
You're going to cut off this thing first with just a knife, using only ice as a painkiller, hoping you don't fuck up and in case you do, you're going to put salt or pepper on it? This will end well.
TheOvermind77
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
United States923 Posts
March 06 2009 00:18 GMT
#9
I'm also considering tying it off with dental floss to let it die, then cutting it off.
Awaken my child, and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that I am the Overmind; the eternal will of the Swarm, and that you have been created to serve me.
Mikilatov
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States3897 Posts
March 06 2009 00:18 GMT
#10
That's going to hurt like a bitch, and sounds like a terrible idea... But to be honest, I doubt the procedure would be horribly different if got it cut off by a doctor... And not cost you some obscene amount.
♥ I used to lasso the shit out of your tournaments =( ♥ | Much is my hero. | zizi yO~ | Be Nice, TL.
noname_
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
469 Posts
March 06 2009 00:20 GMT
#11
"A hemangioma is a non-cancerous (benign) growth of blood vessels. They are the most common benign blood vessel (vascular) growths in infants and children. Most resolve with time and occasionally with medication. Large or disfiguring hemangiomas may require surgical excision."
Don`t try it, but corticosteroid therapy may help in your case, if you are impacient.
brjdrb
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States577 Posts
March 06 2009 00:24 GMT
#12
i don't have any medical experience, but this is a terrible idea. you could easily get an infection afterward, and before if you aren't careful. and i don't think ice will numb that enough. if it's really that bad, then go for it. but i really don't think it's a good idea
Stork's biggest fan
Ichigo1234551
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States649 Posts
March 06 2009 00:25 GMT
#13
dude just cut it off lol. also if you want you can burn it off which is easier
I WILL DESTROY YOU IN 2009 OK???????????????
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-06 00:26:40
March 06 2009 00:25 GMT
#14
not a good idea imo. where are you doing this
We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
March 06 2009 00:26 GMT
#15
what
the
fuck

no.
Culture
Profile Joined October 2007
Canada488 Posts
March 06 2009 00:26 GMT
#16
You're an idiot.

There is a reason why there exists a specific profession that undergoes stringent training and qualification over many years to qualify to deal with these kind of problems.

Hemangioma can be connected and embedded in various tissue deeper under your skin.

The possible outcomes for your case are among infection, injury, permanent scarring, and a number of other scary implications. Medical professionals exist BECAUSE they're extremely trained in this. Your complications can arise after surgery.
Nitrogen
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States5345 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-03-06 00:27:31
March 06 2009 00:27 GMT
#17
cauterize that shit and you'll be fine. it will hurt like fuck though.

or you could try to use that wart freeze off stuff
UNFUCK YOURSELF
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
March 06 2009 00:27 GMT
#18
Hope you're joking. You should never perform surgery on yourself, it's a painful way of scarring yourself for life and could very possibly end in infection and death.
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
3clipse
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Canada2555 Posts
March 06 2009 00:27 GMT
#19
If you do this, please videotape it. I'm bored.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44335 Posts
March 06 2009 00:28 GMT
#20
On March 06 2009 09:18 TheOvermind77 wrote:
I'm also considering tying it off with dental floss to let it die, then cutting it off.

This seems by far the better idea. Your body is capable of safely discarding dead flesh.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
1 2 3 4 5 12 13 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 11m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 131
SpeCial 116
Vindicta 5
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 11727
Artosis 547
Bale 10
League of Legends
Doublelift3822
JimRising 655
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox709
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4687
Liquid`Hasu1076
Khaldor984
Other Games
summit1g7410
shahzam523
FrodaN118
NeuroSwarm68
ArmadaUGS62
Mew2King58
ViBE55
JuggernautJason39
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV194
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream74
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 15
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 26
• blackmanpl 23
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie835
• Scarra412
• Shiphtur186
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 11m
Stellar Fest
14h 11m
OSC
23h 11m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 11h
Online Event
1d 12h
FEL
1d 17h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 18h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 20h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.