• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:45
CEST 18:45
KST 01:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12838 users

[D] Colossus attack animation

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-11-22 07:55:58
November 22 2008 07:51 GMT
#1
I know there's already been quite a lot of discussion on this subject before, and that Colossus attack animation has already been changed once but when I saw Blizzcon videos I must say that I was utterely disappointed with how this has been solved.

While the old animation produced too many beams which was rather confusing the new one with this single beam drawing the same line over everything is so crappy that it's hard to watch it.

I was wondering if the Blizzard changed this once, maybe they could do it again?

Personally I'd like for it to be less 'War of the Worlds' style and more Protoss style.

I mean a psionic explosion that would deal AoE damage, a bit like the old scarabs and siege tanks. The animation could be similar to the one for Avenger unit in Armies of Exigo.

[image loading]


It would in my opinion create less confusion and would look 10x better/be more distinctive.

Or even just blue lightning, or a combo of those, blue lightning -> explosion.

The general idea is for the attack animation not to last as long as it is now while also looking much better.

What do you think?

Edit:

I forgot not everyone played AoX
The attack animation I'm referring to are those 2 bright circular thingies on the ground in the picture.

It can also be seen in this movie at 3:42. The Avengers are the ones with tentacles on their heads(?) dodging the troll shots.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
BanZu
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States3329 Posts
November 22 2008 08:26 GMT
#2
I don't know about the Avenger attack, it isn't very aesthetically pleasing.

How come they didn't keep the Colossus' attack where it's just a beam that auto-locks once the target is dead?
Sun Tzu once said, "Defiler becomes useless at the presences of a vessel."
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
November 22 2008 10:36 GMT
#3
On November 22 2008 17:26 BanZu wrote:
I don't know about the Avenger attack, it isn't very aesthetically pleasing.


True, but still it looks better than THE BEAM.

I just wanted to show the general idea, the details (like aesthetical adjustment) can be worked on.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Klockan3
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
Sweden2866 Posts
November 22 2008 11:15 GMT
#4
I think that instead of having a single beam like it is now they could make it a dual beam scissoring the area while at the same time the beams lose in visual intensity over the animation so that it looks more like a charge release.

The current animation sucks though.
stenole
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
Norway869 Posts
November 22 2008 11:23 GMT
#5
Changing the animation would mean going away from the line shaped attack. And that could change the role of the unit. That Blizzard seems to switch the Collossus attack for every build tells me that they are still playing around with different ideas. Personally I think the important thing is that the graphics should fit what is actually happening.
Tritanis
Profile Joined November 2007
Poland344 Posts
November 22 2008 12:07 GMT
#6
Avenger-like attack for collossus?
I'm for it, definitely better than current linear laser attack.
///
How about some skirmish in aox Manit0u? ;d
I live, I serve, I die for the Metal
Doctorasul
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Romania1145 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-11-22 12:44:43
November 22 2008 12:12 GMT
#7
I'm glad you made this topic because I was thinking about this but didn't know where to post it to get some visibility.

How about a firing animation like a shockwave, a boom? Imagine the expanding shockwave created by an explosion or the ripples of a pebble in a pond, but use that animation only for the sector the colossus is facing (probably less than a quarter of a circle or so). So you get an arc that leaves the colossus' head and becomes bigger as it descends and moves forward, finally hitting the ground with the same line-AOE it has now (if you really want to keep the line shaped attack). The shock wave can travel very fast - yet maybe just slow enough for a line of zerglings or frenzied zeals to dodge it by dancing right after the wave is fired.

The "boom" can be caused by the two structures on either side of the collosus simultaneously closing very violently. The structures then slowly opening and "charging" would provide a nice, clear visual indication of the cooldown.

[image loading]

Imagine this with a loud BOOM and the shockwave traveling fast, with an explosive animation. I don't know how to create gifs; this is supposed to be the same wave at different times, not succesive waves.
"I believe in Spinoza's god who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, but not in a god who concerns himself with the fate and actions of human beings." - Albert Einstein
lololol
Profile Joined February 2006
5198 Posts
November 22 2008 12:16 GMT
#8
The original beam was fine, just make it do splash, there's no need for every race to have a lurker...
I'll call Nada.
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
November 22 2008 13:21 GMT
#9
Hehe a little bit off-topic maybe, but the anti-troll micro is so sweet, I love it everytime I see that video ;D
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
Pholon
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Netherlands6142 Posts
November 22 2008 13:51 GMT
#10
I loved the attack of the special tank of the blue race in Dune. n_n
Moderator@TLPholon // "I need a third hand to facepalm right now"
Chuiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
3470 Posts
November 22 2008 14:32 GMT
#11
The attack looks fine they just need to fix its pathing so it actually does something to units and doesn't fly off to the side of the group and hit nothing.
♞
sushiman
Profile Joined September 2003
Sweden2691 Posts
November 22 2008 17:34 GMT
#12
The attack now just looks lame. I loved the old one, and the fact that it used both its lances instead of just one like now. A different AoE attack would probably be best. Either a zigzagging move with both beams, or a single concentrated impact with AoE similar to that of a siege tank.
1000 at least.
Salv
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Canada3083 Posts
November 22 2008 17:56 GMT
#13
On November 22 2008 21:12 Doctorasul wrote:
I'm glad you made this topic because I was thinking about this but didn't know where to post it to get some visibility.

How about a firing animation like a shockwave, a boom? Imagine the expanding shockwave created by an explosion or the ripples of a pebble in a pond, but use that animation only for the sector the colossus is facing (probably less than a quarter of a circle or so). So you get an arc that leaves the colossus' head and becomes bigger as it descends and moves forward, finally hitting the ground with the same line-AOE it has now (if you really want to keep the line shaped attack). The shock wave can travel very fast - yet maybe just slow enough for a line of zerglings or frenzied zeals to dodge it by dancing right after the wave is fired.

The "boom" can be caused by the two structures on either side of the collosus simultaneously closing very violently. The structures then slowly opening and "charging" would provide a nice, clear visual indication of the cooldown.

[image loading]

Imagine this with a loud BOOM and the shockwave traveling fast, with an explosive animation. I don't know how to create gifs; this is supposed to be the same wave at different times, not succesive waves.


Allow me

[image loading]
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
November 22 2008 18:27 GMT
#14
Hmm... Any good animators here?
What if you changed this a bit for the wave to have fade-over time effect and where it goes it produces the 'hot air' effect like from the explosions in SC.

Would look wicked powerful

@ Tritanis: Tomorrow I'll go back to my parent's place where I've left my AoX copy and sure I'd love to skirmish some
Or maybe I'll just buy a new copy since it's cheap as hell now.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Ki_Do
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Korea (South)981 Posts
November 22 2008 19:40 GMT
#15
BooooM
not Bzzzz ,Ptzzzz, zummmm
thats the way to go =D
I've got a point, and i'm ready to kill or die for it.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-11-23 08:20:01
November 23 2008 08:17 GMT
#16
The original beam looked awesome but I think there was a problem with its cooldown where you could attack/move/attack move spam and shoot really fast. The color of the beam being blue might be cool but that's the same as the warp/void ray. Maybe if they made the damage start lower and scale up like the warp ray that would balance this type of micro.
Then they could like implement some kind of a pro technique for full micro attention making them better than just auto firing ones.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
3clipse
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Canada2555 Posts
November 23 2008 08:22 GMT
#17
I personally don't mind the look of the beam, but that wave is nice too.
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
November 24 2008 03:38 GMT
#18
Why have I never heard about The Armies of Exigo before? DLing the demo now, whatever helps the wait for SC2. I should get warhammer 40k too...

As for the collossus, I'd prefer two charged beams split-second slicing an "X" into the ground where the enemy is.
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
Mindcrime
Profile Joined July 2004
United States6899 Posts
November 24 2008 03:56 GMT
#19
On November 24 2008 12:38 Osmoses wrote:
Why have I never heard about The Armies of Exigo before?


EA is the fucking devil. That is why.
That wasn't any act of God. That was an act of pure human fuckery.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
November 24 2008 04:31 GMT
#20
On November 24 2008 12:38 Osmoses wrote:
Why have I never heard about The Armies of Exigo before? DLing the demo now, whatever helps the wait for SC2.


Just remember to download the multiplayer demo, not single-player.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM888
TKL 346
IndyStarCraft 215
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 888
ByuN 448
TKL 346
Reynor 300
IndyStarCraft 215
BRAT_OK 37
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 48166
Calm 2916
Bisu 1765
FanTaSy 465
Rush 246
firebathero 181
actioN 164
hero 149
Sharp 68
Sea.KH 53
[ Show more ]
Free 38
Mong 30
ToSsGirL 26
soO 25
Pusan 23
Rock 19
Aegong 15
Terrorterran 14
Hm[arnc] 13
scan(afreeca) 11
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc8950
Dendi1145
Counter-Strike
fl0m5527
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King97
Heroes of the Storm
MindelVK13
Other Games
singsing1936
Liquid`RaSZi1737
B2W.Neo775
Beastyqt697
olofmeister564
FrodaN512
Khaldor509
Mlord507
KnowMe337
crisheroes195
Livibee70
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 30
• Adnapsc2 11
• Reevou 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach43
• Azhi_Dahaki13
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV508
League of Legends
• Nemesis2732
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1693
Other Games
• Shiphtur717
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 15m
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 15m
OSC
6h 15m
Replay Cast
6h 15m
OSC
19h 15m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.