• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:20
CEST 19:20
KST 02:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War545.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10020 users

Strategy for TvP

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
ilovezil
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States4143 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-01-06 05:49:49
January 06 2007 02:31 GMT
#1
First of all, the guide that I'm about to piece apart had, according to its source, been translated from a strategy guide that Nada had written. I can't verify the validity of this translation. However, I think that the quality of this guide is sufficient enough to say that at the very least, it was written by a decent Terran. Also, this strategy guide is a little bit outdated since it mentions the 12 vult 2 drops w/tank harass. The strategy guide was originally written in korean, but has been translated into English. I will give the source at the end of this guide.

I am putting some of my own thoughts as well into this strategy guide with a spoiler tag.

+ Show Spoiler +
My general tips for vulture users
Now, the 1st option uses blocking at choke. The writer said this was for 4-main maps like lost temple or LUNA. But of course...you can't block on luna without making 3 supply depots up front, which is probably not worth it. Therefore, skip build 1 for maps like luna.

If, however, you play on a viable blocking map like Lost temple or Gaia, this build is useful for some recon work. Make sure you scout the protoss with an scv early on (scout at the same time you build a barracks or around 12-13 supply). Once you get inside, make sure your scv stays alive long enough to learn what the protoss will do. If you can't find him on the 1st two tries, chances are you won't get into his base due to a blocking goon. If this is the case, keep the scv in front his nat. If you REALLY like vultures, you can even go for 6 vults but the obvious disadvantage is that your expo CC will be delayed. It all depends on your style and how successful you are with harass. If you're going to attempt to get inside his base with your vultures (assuming you have good control), send them near front of his nat. Also pull out a spare scv for scouting (or use the unsuccessful 1st scv in front of his nat) to get an idea of his goon count. These scenarios are likely to occur:

1. If you see 1-2 goons on ramp and have at least 4 vults, hit him with mines. Chances are that he's going to use dts or reavers, so keep a sharp eye on your main and minimap. If you hadn't already, start up an ebay IMMEDIATELY. Make sure you lay some mines along the path of dts BEFORE your assault, but conserve enough mines to hit the protoss ramp and to lay in his base. If there are more than 2 goons on ramp, however, conserve your vults for mining strategic areas around the map.

2. There are 4 goons guarding the front of his natural. Chances are that the protoss expanded or will expand early. If you have at least 6 vults and good micro, clone your vults and be careful not to fall to dragged mines.

Besides that, the guide explains the rest of TvP pretty well. I'll add more thoughts when I'm off work. What I've written is not thorough, but my good friend Nada should be more than enough to cover for my shortcomings. Have fun


Hi everyone I've just finished translating Nada's TvP guide and I'd like to share it with everyone.

This strategy is based on 4 player-regular maps like Lost Temple or Luna where your natural has a gas.

Opening:
There are many TvP openings, but my favourite opening are these two:
1.Block at choke and double factory to make 4 vultures, expand.
2.No block. One barraks one machine shop. 6 marines+1 tank+1 vulture, expand.

Both openings are taking advantage of decieving opponent in order to fast expand, which I think is the most important aspect of TvP(fast expand). However, both openings have pros and cons:
The first BO when facing a dragoon rush with good micro will always turn out bad. When protoss realize I am getting 4 vulture harass>dual base they can always choose to expand early than me. Usually I have my vultures to show up at their choke and lay mines at their natural. However if the protoss expands when they have 4 dragoons then my BO will not have any advantages.

The second opening is more flexible, adapted to both offensive and defense strategies. However against protoss with better micro than me I won't be able to rush. I usually let them see my army just to scare them and I'll expand as fast as possible. But this expo will be a bit later, as well as my turrets and scanner. If protoss decides to DT drop I'll also be in a situation a bit tight.

However both BO are pretty neutral. It doesn't give me a big advantage but it never put me into any disadvantages at all.

Mid/late game:
What's the most important aspect of Mid-game in PvT? IMO it is endurance. There are two choices for mid-games:
1.Harass+Mass units
2.Slow push+Mass units+upgrades

I usually take route one. I usually get 2 dropships with 4 tanks and take a bunch of vultures. Using the high mobility of this army and the stealthiness of the mines to rapidly lay waste to protoss army and micro. This strategy has two problems:
1.Takes up a lot of resources. I have to make control tower as well as machine shop. This way I have to spend a lot less money on defense, directly weakening my defensive force to be lacking firepower, easilly to be hurt by DT drops.
2.This strategy also takes up a lot of my micro, and compared to me the protoss at the defensive side seems to have less micro needed to do compared to mine. As long as protoss are prepared and we're at the same level, I won't get too much of an advantage.

The second route is more focused at late game. At first glance it doesn't look as powerful as it is but many terrans seems to have overlooked its potential. The slow push has the following flow:

Dual base>Dual factories make tanks non-stop
2 more factories when I have 8-10 tanks
Start getting vultures(speed+mines)
4-6 vultures leave base to deny protoss getting 4th base>push outwards to second expo when I have 12 tanks.
Scanner should be made at 50 population. 2 armories should be made at 70 population. Upgrade non-stop.
When 3CC is build population should have reached 130 with +1/+1 while protoss has 180 army. Push out again to get my 4th and 5th expo. Increase factory count to 10.
Full scale assault when I have 180 army with +2/+2 upgrades. All factories start making goliaths.(at this moment protoss should have 200 army, 5 bases with 3 stargates ready to mass carriers.
No protoss army at 200 will be able to beat 180 army with +2/+2 ups. After a head on battle I should have 150 army while protoss pop count lowers to 120.
Send goliaths to deal with carriers appearing at the front line.
Defend bases from carrier harass with goliaths. Make 24+ vultures.
Destroy protoss expos with vultures.
Protoss should soon be down to 1 resource nodes and 12 carriers. Use 3/3 goliaths to micro against carriers.

Critical disadvantage of slow push:
1.Not great against protoss who sneakily fast tech to carriers.
2.Does not pressure the protoss enough and they often drop me.
3.Vulture harass is not as strong as other mathods.

How I deal with the disadvantages.

1.Scout often to find where protoss places their stargates. Many times I have faced protoss who risks and fast tech to carriers under the situation where their ground force is not enough. My solution is to leave the searching of new expansions to my vultures and have my scanners to find their stargates all times. I have my vultures to cover an area as large as possible on the map and avoid contacts with enemy forces. That way I still can search for their new expos and focus my scanners on their stargates. Attack when their stargates are flashing or else when I have 180 pop. With 18 tanks + 24 vultures I only have to be swift at seiging those tanks and if done properly I will be able to conserve the mines for later uses. A 200 protoss army will be no match for my upgraded army.(+2/+2)
2.Make excess SCVs. The disadvantage of slow push is that it does not pressure the protoss as much. Thie results in protoss expanding everywhere. Also faster protoss players will be able to harass with templar drops. Many times I won't be able to stop the psi storms and all I can do is run my SCV. However with extra SCV I will be able to pull fresh comers to replenish those lost. Slow push does not require as much micro as other strategies so that it is easy for me to make SCVs non-stop.
3.Sneak an expansion. With excess SCV it'll be easy to sneak an expansion unseen. Because of all those workers even if I'm found I won't suffer a lost too great. If I've successfully stolen an expansion I'll earn much much greater than the risk I've paid.

Summary of slow push:
50 pop scanner.
60 pop 4th factory
70 pop dual armories
100 second natural 6th factory start sneaking expos.
130 pop 8th factory continue to attempt sneaking expos.
180 Start assaulting 10th factory. Should have 2/2 upgrades on my ground forces with a 3:2 ratio of tank:vulture.
Translated by close.ads
Copyright@YGOweb 2006 all rights reserved



http://www.starcraft.org/strategies/stratsdb/terran/3504
^ Source
Pressure
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
7326 Posts
January 06 2007 02:39 GMT
#2
yay tornado terran guide
il0seonpurpose
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Korea (South)5638 Posts
January 06 2007 02:39 GMT
#3
dang thanks, are u sure nada wrote this? well he does make alot of vultures
ilovezil
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States4143 Posts
January 06 2007 02:43 GMT
#4
I wish I were 100% sure, but I myself feel that this is too good to be true T_T. You can check the source; dunno what you'll find there tho
sOnagi[3.33]
Profile Joined November 2006
Korea (South)886 Posts
January 06 2007 03:12 GMT
#5
thanks! TvP is my favorite matchup =)
서지훈, XellOs[yG]: the Perfect Terran...이성은, FireBatHero: braQ Terran.
Vin{MBL}
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
5185 Posts
January 06 2007 04:15 GMT
#6
thanks alot
ilovezil
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States4143 Posts
January 08 2007 02:42 GMT
#7
On another note, the translator of this guide (iamdragon) claims he's not korean but learned it through a catholic church. I'm curious how non-koreans learn the language, though. I'm korean myself and I know how difficult it is to switch between korean and english.
DarK]N[exuS
Profile Joined April 2006
China1441 Posts
January 08 2007 02:52 GMT
#8
The same way anyone learns another language?
Where joy exists despair will always beckon.
minus_human
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
4784 Posts
January 08 2007 03:35 GMT
#9
This is a few years old, I've read it when I was quite a noob. I understood it differently now, and it was an interesting read nevertheless.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 5
Laughngamez YouTube
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Liquid`TLO 187
ProTech145
BRAT_OK 78
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17485
Leta 1099
Shuttle 393
Horang2 239
Trap 140
firebathero 136
Zeus 83
soO 54
Hyun 53
Bale 36
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 34
Rock 28
scan(afreeca) 19
Bishop 16
Noble 13
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
qojqva1540
Dendi1462
420jenkins438
Counter-Strike
fl0m4011
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu339
Other Games
Grubby1240
Beastyqt647
FrodaN566
KnowMe227
Hui .192
Livibee122
QueenE81
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick378
StarCraft 2
angryscii 7
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 44
• printf 34
• Adnapsc2 21
• Hinosc 19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach106
• Azhi_Dahaki25
• FirePhoenix12
• Michael_bg 10
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1514
Other Games
• Shiphtur599
Upcoming Events
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1h 41m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
16h 41m
Patches Events
21h 41m
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 1h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 1h
OSC
1d 5h
OSC
1d 18h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.