• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:32
CEST 21:32
KST 04:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9310 users

Enlarging the Minimap

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
SC2Toastie
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
Netherlands5725 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-27 13:07:39
February 27 2014 11:02 GMT
#1
Hello,

Recently I've caught myself squinting at the minimap on multiple occasions because I couldn't make out what kind of building / size of army / exact positioning / etc. was shown.
I thought about that a bit and suddenly something jumped to mind.

When the game came out, the Minimap was as big as it is now; the MAPS, however:
old:
124x124 Steppes of War
108x160 Crossfire
new:
192x192 Alterzim Stronghold
158x162 Frost

These are just the few maps that came to mind, some quick calculation gives me that Alterzim Stronghold has a surface of 140% larger than Steppes of War.
+ Show Spoiler +
On February 27 2014 21:54 Cyro wrote:
Very very good point and i'm super interested in this now too

Show nested quote +
124x124 Steppes of War
192x192 Alterzim Stronghold


Your calculation is wrong, you assume 192/124 which = 1.55 (rounded to 2 decimal place) which could also be stated as 55% bigger, but that's only using one axis. The map is a square so you could calculate area like:

124*124 = 15376
192*192 = 36864

36864 divided by 15376 is equal to ~2.4.. so the map has 2.4x as much area, on the same minimap space. Objects would have to shrink to about 42% of the size or detail would be lost

Not ~+55% area gained, but ~+140%. Much bigger problem


So while the minimap was obviously designed for smaller maps, we ended up with much larger maps on which everything seems 'cramped'.

AFAIK, Gameheart etc. included larger minimaps, which is so much clearer than the small minimaps we have now.

Does anybody think/know Blizzard has considered increasing the maximum size of the minimap (either optional or forced)?

I don't have bad eyesight but I have trouble distinguishing certain things on the minimap as well as gauging speed. On unclear streams it is even worse. Anybody else suffering from this problem?

Kind regards
EDIT: For comparison
[image loading]
Alterzim Stronghold Real Size

[image loading]
Steppes of War Real Size

[image loading]
Alterzim Stronghold scaled down

You can already see how much detail is lost in this scaling down, even though I used a pretty clear font to display it.
Mura Ma Man, Dark Da Dude, Super Shot Sos!
aka_star
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United Kingdom1546 Posts
February 27 2014 11:12 GMT
#2
These days Blizzard is somewhat distracted by heros of the storm, thankfully the modding community have stepped up and asking one of the observer mods if they think this feature would improve their package and if it could be programmed differently (depends on cameras I'd imagine). I do agree the minimap has lost some of its focus point in recent years.
FlashDave.999 aka Star
SC2Toastie
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
Netherlands5725 Posts
February 27 2014 11:29 GMT
#3
On February 27 2014 20:12 aka_star wrote:
These days Blizzard is somewhat distracted by heros of the storm, thankfully the modding community have stepped up and asking one of the observer mods if they think this feature would improve their package and if it could be programmed differently (depends on cameras I'd imagine). I do agree the minimap has lost some of its focus point in recent years.

I mean that the minimap becomes bigger while player, not while observing (preferably both )
Mura Ma Man, Dark Da Dude, Super Shot Sos!
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12888 Posts
February 27 2014 11:36 GMT
#4
interesting, this has never occurred to my thought at all.
for me personally I think it would be great to have some optional options but blizzard isn't really into that, looks like they want one unified experience across all players.
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
Nimix
Profile Joined October 2011
France1809 Posts
February 27 2014 11:39 GMT
#5
The unit dots are indeed very small on big maps, it's kinda hard to notice a drop with peripheral vision... Maybe they could standardize it rather than make it dependent on the size of the map?
wishr
Profile Joined February 2012
Russian Federation262 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-27 11:58:00
February 27 2014 11:55 GMT
#6
Interesting thoughts, ts.
Btw i agree, that with map design involving from year to year maps became bigger and notice drops\oracler flying to your base is a little bit harder, then before. On the other hand its just a part of the game and if you are playing jjakji on a big map you must be prepared for much more attention needed to put on the minimap.
As for implementation of some sort of standarts by devs - IDK
P.S. Maybe we need address this to Blizzard or just copy to Bnet forums...
* Only girls complain about balance! *
iHirO
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United Kingdom1381 Posts
February 27 2014 12:04 GMT
#7
One thing I noticed while I was doing some testing for Gameheart is that minimap icons don't have a minimum size. So if you build a sensor tower on Alterzim Stronghold, it's virtually invisible on the map (at least at my resolution).
GraphicsThis is for all you new people: I only have one rule. Everyone fights. No one quits. You don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself. You get me?
Lorch
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany3711 Posts
February 27 2014 12:16 GMT
#8
I think custom UIs (while playing) should be available anyway. Sadly starcraft is developed by Blizzard so if we'll ever see that feature it'll be when LOTV comes out, maybe even years later.
SC2Toastie
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
Netherlands5725 Posts
February 27 2014 12:27 GMT
#9
I see there's more people over here who, like me, never really thought of it, but actually agree

On February 27 2014 20:36 ETisME wrote:
interesting, this has never occurred to my thought at all.
for me personally I think it would be great to have some optional options but blizzard isn't really into that, looks like they want one unified experience across all players.

Most options are optional!
Mura Ma Man, Dark Da Dude, Super Shot Sos!
dargul
Profile Joined May 2010
Russian Federation125 Posts
February 27 2014 12:36 GMT
#10
I wanted to stretch my minimap to whole 2nd monitor by using some other programs,

I saw few dayz ago how day9 showed miniman from the game streched to a whole monitor on stream.
So i guess that it is possible at least to do using stream. may be play on 1 monitor and open stream of you games on 2nd monitor. It will be Huge minimap on 24 inch monitor

ANd yeh it sounds a bit cheesy Lets call it minimap awareness hack
In Stim We Trust
SC2Toastie
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
Netherlands5725 Posts
February 27 2014 12:40 GMT
#11
On February 27 2014 21:36 dargul wrote:
I wanted to stretch my minimap to whole 2nd monitor by using some other programs,

I saw few dayz ago how day9 showed miniman from the game streched to a whole monitor on stream.
So i guess that it is possible at least to do using stream. may be play on 1 monitor and open stream of you games on 2nd monitor. It will be Huge minimap on 24 inch monitor

ANd yeh it sounds a bit cheesy Lets call it minimap awareness hack

Day9 uses it in observer tools tho. I also think taking a small part of your stream won't be that clear for you...
Mura Ma Man, Dark Da Dude, Super Shot Sos!
SC2Toastie
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
Netherlands5725 Posts
February 27 2014 12:41 GMT
#12
On February 27 2014 20:55 wishr wrote:
Interesting thoughts, ts.
Btw i agree, that with map design involving from year to year maps became bigger and notice drops\oracler flying to your base is a little bit harder, then before. On the other hand its just a part of the game and if you are playing jjakji on a big map you must be prepared for much more attention needed to put on the minimap.
As for implementation of some sort of standarts by devs - IDK
P.S. Maybe we need address this to Blizzard or just copy to Bnet forums...

Do they ever read BNet forums..? I never have the idea they spend much time there.
Mura Ma Man, Dark Da Dude, Super Shot Sos!
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-27 12:56:04
February 27 2014 12:54 GMT
#13
Very very good point and i'm super interested in this now too

These are just the few maps that came to mind, some quick calculation gives me that Alterzim Stronghold has a surface of 53% larger than Steppes of War.


124x124 Steppes of War
192x192 Alterzim Stronghold


Your calculation is wrong, you assume 192/124 which = 1.55 (rounded to 2 decimal place) which could also be stated as 55% bigger, but that's only using one axis. The map is a square so you could calculate area like:

124*124 = 15376
192*192 = 36864

36864 divided by 15376 is equal to ~2.4.. so the map has 2.4x as much area, on the same minimap space. Objects would have to shrink to about 42% of the size or detail would be lost

Not ~+55% area gained, but ~+140%. Much bigger problem
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
SC2Toastie
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
Netherlands5725 Posts
February 27 2014 12:56 GMT
#14
On February 27 2014 21:54 Cyro wrote:
Very very good point and i'm super interested in this now too

Show nested quote +
These are just the few maps that came to mind, some quick calculation gives me that Alterzim Stronghold has a surface of 53% larger than Steppes of War.


Show nested quote +
124x124 Steppes of War
192x192 Alterzim Stronghold


Your calculation is wrong, you assume 192/124 which = 1.55 (rounded to 2 decimal place) which could also be stated as 55% bigger, but that's only using one axis. The map is a square so you could calculate area like:

124*124 = 15376
192*192 = 36864

36864 divided by 15376 is equal to ~2.4.. so the map has 2.4x as much area, on the same minimap space. Objects would have to shrink to about 42% of the size or detail would be lost

Not ~+55% area gained, but ~+140%. Much bigger problem

Wow I am retarded 0.0
Hahahahah

Yes, I am interested too 0.0!
Mura Ma Man, Dark Da Dude, Super Shot Sos!
FeyFey
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany10114 Posts
February 27 2014 12:59 GMT
#15
I prefer having the dots adapt to the minimap size, but I understand the point. If the dots would be persistent in size though, even small armies would suddenly look like 200 supply on a big map and it would distract me more personally. Its just a getting used to I guess.
Yrr
Profile Joined June 2012
Germany805 Posts
February 27 2014 13:03 GMT
#16
Haha ,when I bought my current monitor 1-2 years ago I calculated the gain in minimap size beforehand.
MMR decay is bad, m'kay? | Personal Hero: TerranHwaiting
SC2Toastie
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
Netherlands5725 Posts
February 27 2014 13:07 GMT
#17
On February 27 2014 21:59 FeyFey wrote:
I prefer having the dots adapt to the minimap size, but I understand the point. If the dots would be persistent in size though, even small armies would suddenly look like 200 supply on a big map and it would distract me more personally. Its just a getting used to I guess.

I mean an overall scaling up of the minimap, not just the dots displayed on it.
Mura Ma Man, Dark Da Dude, Super Shot Sos!
-Kyo-
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Japan1927 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-27 13:12:03
February 27 2014 13:10 GMT
#18
I've posted about this so many times but I still think it's much more important. The really only important thing I think this minimap issue would apply to is things like drops. But if you're a good toss player for example, you have 2-4 obs already and spotting them is very easy if you have the multi-tasking.

The bigger issue for me, and another player on my team is vision of your OWN units. Since the removal of STC, some color blind players have had real issues being able to tell apart things like zergling battles, banelings, etc. For myself, I know from experience that I played much much better with STC as I was able to evaluate and see my own army much better. I'd be able to vividly see how many stalkers I had without having to stare at the bottom pane for the ideal ~12 stalkers in PvT for example. I'd still really like to see this thing make a comeback and it's already present in Gameheart and everyone seems to love it.

In terms of "unfair" advantages, STC does no such thing. It just makes your units have a more vivid color so it's easier to see. All of the other mods like being able to see cloaked units were clearly imbalanced, but as a result of them being removed, had STC due to being unable to edit your files. ;~;

For me though, the red markers point to engagements have always been enough for the minimap, and well, playing BW... you just stare at your minimap more than the main screen almost >.> You just know where your buildings and such are so you don't have to pay as much attention to main screen until engagements.
my2c
Anime is cuter than you. Legacy of the Void GM Protoss Gameplay: twitch.tv/kyo7763 youtube.com/user/KyoStarcraft/
TL+ Member
SC2Toastie
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
Netherlands5725 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-27 13:17:20
February 27 2014 13:16 GMT
#19
STC is missing badly as well, I loved it to death.

But you cannot deny it is much harder to spot stuff and gauge army sizes/position/movement speed via minimap.

STC might be a bigger miss, but since I noticed this, it has bothered me

Here's the original thread of STC, for people who don't know what -Kyo- and I are talking about:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=216725
Mura Ma Man, Dark Da Dude, Super Shot Sos!
Prugelhugel
Profile Joined February 2012
Austria637 Posts
February 27 2014 13:27 GMT
#20
I always wished for a minimap-enhance key (like it exists in nearly every game ).
Just press a button and you see the whole map in the middle of the screen.
This + customizeable colours of both minimap and battlefield (different colours would be even better).
I am not colourblind but it is sometimes pretty difficult for me to distinguish my and my opponents units on the small map (and the minimap colours of the colourblind mode are too dark and therefore make it more difficult to see drops).

I think one can dream.
"This map definitly needs more rocks" - No SC2 player ever
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
LiquipediaDiscussion
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
PRO & GOSU #2
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason192
BRAT_OK 77
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15786
Artosis 615
Mini 246
Dewaltoss 143
Mind 75
ZZZero.O 63
Hyun 39
Bale 24
NaDa 23
Dota 2
qojqva2705
420jenkins542
League of Legends
Doublelift892
Counter-Strike
fl0m3463
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5770
Khaldor1342
Liquid`Hasu1065
MindelVK13
Other Games
summit1g5353
FrodaN2095
B2W.Neo749
byalli617
ToD240
Railgan45
Mew2King36
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1145
BasetradeTV216
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream44
StarCraft 2
angryscii 39
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 33
• StrangeGG 10
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 22
• Azhi_Dahaki10
• FirePhoenix6
• FT.aCt)Sony2
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie881
• Shiphtur278
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
3h 28m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 28m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
15h 28m
Monday Night Weeklies
20h 28m
Replay Cast
1d 3h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 14h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 15h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.