• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:13
CEST 02:13
KST 09:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1 [IPSL] IPSL is Back With Winter 26-27!
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10559 users

Broodwar & Me

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
nvnplatypus
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
Netherlands1300 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-09-15 08:41:12
September 15 2006 06:59 GMT
#1
Hey all,

I've disappeared over the past two months, and want to update everyone about what's going on.

When I posted at TeamLiquid, I was always doing so on my own time, with my own opinions. It was always a difficult balance, because as some of you know, I was also a Producer at Blizzard Entertainment the past two years, and was often involved with or leading projects that revolved around StarCraft. Maintaining that balance of posting as an individual, and not as someone representing the company, was always hard. I witnessed first-hand, many times, where the word or private thoughts of an individual employee was immediately taken as the company’s official gospel.

Many people say Blizzard is “distant” and “out of touch” with its communities. That may be true in the sense of not officially posting on a site like this, and that feeling is perpetuated by the carefully worded and PR-friendly statements you see on official outlets. In my personal view again, a company with fans that are as passionate about their games as Blizzard fans are simply has to be that way. You have to understand that everything you say will be analyzed, criticized, and studied for hidden meanings. When a company’s, or by extension its employees, words take on that much meaning you can’t afford to be indiscriminate about them anymore. The popular counter-examples of other game studios “doing it right” and getting down and dirty with the community and appearing to listen better are, frankly, because what they say doesn’t matter as much.

None of that isn’t to say I didn’t frequently disagree with the “Blizzard PR way” of doing things, and I often butted heads with the PR Director in order to do things and say things I thought the SC community would enjoy. It really stung when I saw the frequent and inevitable “Blizzard doesn’t care” and “Blizzard hates SC cause they got WoW” comments on sites and forums. You don’t know how many times I just felt like replying and telling those people they had no idea what they were talking about. But it boiled down to not crossing that line between posting as an individual and an employee, so I didn’t.

Now that I’ve left Blizzard, I will say so just once. The people who say that are simply wrong. The company cares deeply about the game and so do many of its employees. People still play it at work and the inherently geeky side of game company employees has come out more than once with heated lunchtime debates over zerglings. Here’s something to consider for those of you who haven’t worked in a game studio before: when you have an 8 year old game that isn’t bringing in much money anymore you don’t devote time to still patch it, try to keep on top of the endless hacks, and spend your time organizing events that are by no means cheap (BlizzCon, BWI) because you don’t care. Most of the rest of the game world thinks Blizzard is crazy to still be doing stuff for a game this old, and they’re probably right. So now, without any worry about being interpreted as an official statement, I can frankly say fuck off, a few of you really don’t know how good you have it with a company still willing to support a game this old.

That said, I really want to thank the people in the community that made it all worth it. You kept me motivated, and made me try my very best to overcome obstacles to be able to do some fun things for the community in return. Blizzard, and the SC community, really owes a lot to the people who helped so much behind the scenes. Some of their contributions were publicly visible, others were not, but they all rocked. A few that come to mind are FakeSteve, Uhjoo, Jonathan from GG.net, Bill307, Mora, Manifesto, SI, Wufan, Excal, Ashur, Illintar, Ilvy and Entropy. Two other people that just made things plain fun for me are Rekrul for the fun times showing Brett, myself, and bunny around Korea during BWI, and Legionnaire who was always lots of fun to go have a beer with at events and is just a genuinely classy person.

I needed to make a change in my life and for various reasons and have left the company. I won’t go into the reasons why I left. I’ll just say I enjoyed the years I worked there, met some great people at the company, and continue to believe that they will make top notch games well into the future. I’m also sorry that I won’t be able to see the Sandlot come to fruition. I hope you guys will be patient with Brett who had to take over when I left with basically no notice. On the technical side he had to basically figure out everything I was doing, who I was talking to, and try to pick it up with minimal delays to the event, which isn’t an easy task. The event is his as much as it was mine though.

Something you’ll never see on an official Blizzard site is how this event came to be. I’ve seen some nice theories like “make up for SC Ghost”, “increase sales in Korea”, etc. Want the truth? Brett and I were really drunk on a Wednesday work night at the Goat Hill Tavern in Costa Mesa. We started brainstorming something really unique and fun we could do for SC. Between downing beers and highly analytical statements about tournament mechanics like “fuck yeah that would kick ass” the Sandlot came to be.

Although I realize very few people will care to read this far into a post that’s way too long, but seriously… thank you to all of you guys at TL.net and in the community.

As for myself, I will be starting a new position on Monday with another company I really believe in: Razer. Although a lot of my new position will be behind the scenes, doing global strategic planning for the firm, it is a company that’s almost as tied into gaming as Blizzard is. Every one of their products is made with gaming in mind, for a gaming audience. I already know that a bit further down the road, there will be some exciting opportunities to get involved with the SC community again in that position. I can’t wait for the day.
Pwntrucci[sR]
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada1519 Posts
September 15 2006 07:04 GMT
#2
Nice Read
bg
FakeSteve[TPR]
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Valhalla18444 Posts
September 15 2006 07:05 GMT
#3
I had a hunch you'd end up at Razer Good luck man, and as always I GOT YER BACK.

Don't be a stranger around here! And learn how to play zvp nostalgia ugh
Moderatormy tatsu loops r fuckin nice
Ashur
Profile Joined January 2004
Czech Republic646 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-09-15 07:09:58
September 15 2006 07:06 GMT
#4
take care..
And even the community says "Blizzard doesnt care", in its depth the ppl hope that Blizzard "does". And sure Blizzard does
mafia shit bullshit
dream-_-
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
United States1857 Posts
September 15 2006 07:06 GMT
#5
You gotta ignore all the negativity that constantly flows from the community. There will always be ignorant teenage kids who have nothing better to do than complain. Good post btw, nice to read something like this ^^
Aphelion
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States2720 Posts
September 15 2006 07:07 GMT
#6
So..... when's SC2 gonna be out :D :D :D
But Garimto was always more than just a Protoss...
FuDDx *
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States5018 Posts
September 15 2006 07:07 GMT
#7
Thanks to you sir for your time effort and love for the game and community.Im very glad that you were there making things happen.And i hope your new position well be great as well for you.\

Thank you agian sir.
-FuDDx


P.s. how does one get into the type of work you do? Im an old fart with little schooling what type of schooling woud help just curios. gl yo
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Balloon-Man-FuDD/237447769616965?ref=hl
Xeofreestyler
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
Belgium6786 Posts
September 15 2006 07:10 GMT
#8
Good luck with your next job man
Graphics
Ilvy
Profile Joined September 2002
Germany2445 Posts
September 15 2006 07:11 GMT
#9
Too good to hear you are ok and not really bad things made you leaving Blizz, but you will missed there for sure. So hopefully you will stay in forum here as a user and post maybe new things from Razer.
Gl there
red.venom
Profile Joined October 2002
United States4651 Posts
September 15 2006 07:12 GMT
#10
Thats cool man. I had no idea you were at Blizzard when reading your posts ever; ]

Glad to hear Blizzard cares. Though I never thought they didnt, they are business though and gotta move forward.
Broom
RaiZ
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
2813 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-09-15 07:18:02
September 15 2006 07:16 GMT
#11
Really a worth reading. Thanks for you huge contribution, to bad you aren't a blizzard employe anymore but more important i hope u're enjoying your life
GL in the future!
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. Oscar Wilde
Drowsy
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States4876 Posts
September 15 2006 07:16 GMT
#12
Good post. Blizzard is still a company run by a company that needs to turn out a big profit, and sometimes people forget that. They kinda NEED to devote most of their attention to wow, the fact that they give us anything at all is good enough.

The only thing I'm pissed about is WGT saying they'll "launch 2 weeks after the patch". How long has it been now?
Our Protoss, Who art in Aiur HongUn be Thy name; Thy stalker come, Thy will be blunk, on ladder as it is in Micro Tourny. Give us this win in our daily ladder, and forgive us our cheeses, As we forgive those who play zerg against us.
CaucasianAsian
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
Korea (South)11601 Posts
September 15 2006 07:17 GMT
#13
On September 15 2006 16:07 Aphelion02 wrote:
So..... when's SC2 gonna be out :D :D :D


that's exactly what i was thinking lol

anywho, i read all of it, and you didn't mention me >.<
Calendar@ Fish Server: `iOps]..Stark
Ashur
Profile Joined January 2004
Czech Republic646 Posts
September 15 2006 07:18 GMT
#14
On September 15 2006 16:16 Drowsy wrote:
The only thing I'm pissed about is WGT saying they'll "launch 2 weeks after the patch". How long has it been now?


You forget the "two weeks" are in the "blizzard" language, but spoken by the WGT representative
mafia shit bullshit
new_construct
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
Canada1041 Posts
September 15 2006 07:24 GMT
#15
after reading that, i soooo want to work in blizzard.
Xeris
Profile Blog Joined July 2005
Iran17695 Posts
September 15 2006 07:25 GMT
#16
nice thanks!!! I'll probably always remember when you showed up to the SoCal LAN last year and were really nice and friendly and brought cool stuff to give out to us! Thanks again for all your work.
twitter.com/xerislight -- follow me~~
MindCrusher
Profile Joined September 2005
Romania236 Posts
September 15 2006 07:26 GMT
#17
On September 15 2006 16:18 Ashur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 15 2006 16:16 Drowsy wrote:
The only thing I'm pissed about is WGT saying they'll "launch 2 weeks after the patch". How long has it been now?


You forget the "two weeks" are in the "blizzard" language, but spoken by the WGT representative

So funny.....yet so true
I will try to be nicer if you try to be smarter!
Shauni
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
4077 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-09-15 08:17:21
September 15 2006 08:16 GMT
#18
Wow, interesting story. I think most of us read to the last word . And yes, all but the stupid ungrateful kids appreciate that Blizzard still release patches and organize events to a 9 years old game!

What if Blizzard were like EA instead?
Brrrr....
I'm taking whatever coverage I can get, because frankly, I'm busy working on this million dollar deal at my job. Early retirement is a good thing brotha man. - MessengerASL
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
September 15 2006 08:22 GMT
#19
alot of words ey
Sfydjklm
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
United States9218 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-09-15 08:25:11
September 15 2006 08:24 GMT
#20
OKay.
So what about SC2?^^
edit: WTF while i was reading this all those posts came out^_^
twitter.com/therealdhalism | "Trying out Z = lots of losses vs inferior players until you figure out how to do it well (if it even works)."- Liquid'Tyler
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings29
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta33
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
19:00
Jungsu & Hasu #1
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 126
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 11093
Artosis 869
White-Ra 137
Dota 2
monkeys_forever760
League of Legends
Doublelift6374
JimRising 624
Counter-Strike
fl0m17243
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox914
AZ_Axe160
Other Games
summit1g8578
KnowMe265
Maynarde192
ArmadaUGS119
Mew2King31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1064
BasetradeTV176
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 11
lovetv 6
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 61
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 47m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
10h 47m
Monday Night Weeklies
15h 47m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 9h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 23h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.