• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:04
CEST 09:04
KST 16:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War605.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7940 users

EP4: eSports Production Value: MLG Live

Blogs > moge
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
moge
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States124 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-10 01:38:16
January 09 2012 12:35 GMT
#1


Note: You can view the other episodes in this series by clicking here

UPDATE
I just got a very nice PM from someone from MLG letting me know that they actually use stretched nylon for their back wall. Incredible, honestly I'm kicking myself for not knowing this but it is a great solution. Stretched nylon (stapeled to the back of the frame) is a dead simple idea. Well done.

MLG Live
This week I take a look at the setup and gear that MLG Live uses for it's Twitch.TV set. I've added navigation links to the video to help people skip to the parts that they may be interested in.

Things I look at are: the caster desk, tips to building that back wall, monitors on set, several types of lighting, their camera setup and discussing a few of their camera angles.

MLG, for a lack of a better phrase, built this set right. They made very smart choice in their set design, lighting and cameras and maximize the flexibility of one set to accommodate multiple shows. Their entire setup revolves around back-lit plexiglass walls. These walls are not only clean in design but help light the s[ace and provide a warm and engaging environment.

One thing they do particularly well is lighting. Using a combination of Kino Flo Diva lights (no pun) and fernels they are able to create very soft, very even lighting with limited shadows. These lights are not cheap but they pay for themselves in versatility.

They use multiple Sony PMW-EX3 camera on set. Again, not a cheap choice but very much worth the price tag with their picture quality and overall versatility.

So on it's face I don't have much critique for MLG but instead I spend most of this episode discussing the how and why's of their choices. I spend a little time talking about ways to do what they did on a budget and I also give a quick lesson in color temperatures and power supplies - exciting stuff, I know

I know these videos are long and I'm not sure I intend most people to watch them through; instead I provide navigation to allow you to jump around to the sections that are of interest or relevant to you. As always I hope you dig the ideas of this series. I'll be making a new one next week, now who to talk about next week...hmmm.

GG!

Jason

****
gentle lover of esports - Product Manager for http://iHearteSports.com
Mawi
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden4365 Posts
January 09 2012 13:31 GMT
#2
Saw your blizzard Cup was really intresting,definatley gonna watch this one now will edit later after ive seen the whole thing.
Forever Mirin Zyzz Son of Zeus Brother of Hercules Father of the Aesthetics
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
January 09 2012 13:59 GMT
#3
Welcome to set design.

Cheers Jason. Nice to see people doing this.
Kennigit *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada19447 Posts
January 09 2012 14:53 GMT
#4
Really enjoy your insight in these videos. We definitely need more of this type of experience in the scene.
Deleted User 135096
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
3624 Posts
January 09 2012 15:02 GMT
#5
This kind of deconstruction and analysis is immensely helpful/insightful for the esports scene, keep it up!!
Administrator
LittLeD
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden7973 Posts
January 09 2012 15:22 GMT
#6
This is really interesting. Plenty of people should watch and learn from this.
☆Grubby ☆| Tod|DeMusliM|ThorZaiN|SaSe|Moon|Mana| ☆HerO ☆
bbm
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom1320 Posts
January 09 2012 15:22 GMT
#7
First time I saw you was when I watched you discuss dreamhack's casting sofa, been hooked since. You talk about some fascinating stuff.
By.Sun or By.Rain, he always delivers
bluQ
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Germany1724 Posts
January 09 2012 15:26 GMT
#8
Can't watch the video now but from what i read: nice.

Some critic: "Their" not "There" if you talk about their belongings. Dunno if its just me but it makes reading a bit harder :D
www.twitch.tv/bluquh (PoE, Starbow, HS)
moge
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States124 Posts
January 09 2012 15:34 GMT
#9
On January 10 2012 00:26 bluQ wrote:
Some critic: "Their" not "There" if you talk about their belongings. Dunno if its just me but it makes reading a bit harder :D


HA! Thanks for the catch I wrote this at 6:30am so I don't think my brain for firing on all cylinders.
gentle lover of esports - Product Manager for http://iHearteSports.com
laguu
Profile Joined October 2009
Finland278 Posts
January 09 2012 15:37 GMT
#10
Really interesting stuff even though I have nothing to do with video production. Can you do an ep about NASL some time? A lot of people seem to agree that their production is doing certain things wrong but can't really point out accurately what that is. I'd love to hear what you have to say about them. I'd also like to hear more about the audio side of production, using music, etc. Thanks!
Arguing with a fool proves there are two.
moge
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States124 Posts
January 09 2012 15:42 GMT
#11
On January 10 2012 00:37 laguu wrote:
Really interesting stuff even though I have nothing to do with video production. Can you do an ep about NASL some time? A lot of people seem to agree that their production is doing certain things wrong but can't really point out accurately what that is. I'd love to hear what you have to say about them. I'd also like to hear more about the audio side of production, using music, etc. Thanks!


I'd love to do audio problem is I actually know very little about the technical side of sound. I can however do an ep on using audio effectively in ways that you mentioned: transitions, openings, etc.

I agree that NASL got a little hammered last season - and for good reason. However, they have a new set this year and I am hopeful that this season will be much better. It seems like they brought in a solid production staff, at least from what I have seen to date, so I'm looking for good things to come from NASL.

I think doing a retrospective does have value, though. Even if not specific to them we can point out general items, like that damned-able camera movement, that could be applied to most any production.
gentle lover of esports - Product Manager for http://iHearteSports.com
cmen15
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States1519 Posts
January 09 2012 17:06 GMT
#12
Very Interesting video, I really like that fact that you added the tabs to jump to different points based on what you want to hear about ha. I enjoyed watching it, Thanks for sharing!!!
Greed leads to just about all losses.
leo23
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States3075 Posts
January 09 2012 19:28 GMT
#13
blizzard cup review and this are great, hopefully people step up their production value
banelings
obsKura
Profile Joined March 2011
Ireland1061 Posts
January 09 2012 19:52 GMT
#14
I love those videos even though I don't know anything about stuff like that. Thanks a bunch for this! Hopefully many people get to see this.

Gratz for the Spotlight on the front page, you've earned it.
C9 ~^v^~ In EE-sama we trust. ~^v^~ C9
Fraidnot
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States824 Posts
January 09 2012 19:59 GMT
#15
Love it, please keep doing this.
Echuu
Profile Joined December 2010
Sweden42 Posts
January 09 2012 20:12 GMT
#16
Awesome work, will definitely watch the previous ones. Also loved the ROI video back in the day. Keep up the good work with these and iheartesports.
Torpedo.Vegas
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States1890 Posts
January 09 2012 20:48 GMT
#17
This is great. Applying unique talents to the scene in creative ways is the best way to contribute awesome content. A lot of people I feel try to be like other people who hit it big and attempt to copy what they did, but quality information and input like this show is the way to go. Keep it up, Ill subscribe to more of this.
Netsky
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia1155 Posts
January 09 2012 22:01 GMT
#18
Really enjoyed it - hope you keep making these.
Seanza
Profile Joined November 2011
171 Posts
January 09 2012 22:11 GMT
#19
Absolutely LOVE this series. Wish it came out earlier on the Sunday, though... always has me running late for work on Monday morning :D

Glad to see you continue to put your time into esports, Jason. We all appreciate it.
johnnywup
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States3858 Posts
January 10 2012 00:36 GMT
#20
i didnt think id be interesting but once i started watching you drew me in with your passion and knowledge
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 56m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4735
Shuttle 1890
Leta 1795
BeSt 295
Soma 84
ZergMaN 71
sorry 43
Shine 39
Soulkey 18
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm213
League of Legends
JimRising 610
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King46
Other Games
summit1g7651
WinterStarcraft689
Sick177
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV190
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Sammyuel 30
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2268
League of Legends
• Rush1136
• Lourlo1087
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2h 56m
Patches Events
7h 56m
BSL Open Qualifier
11h 56m
BSL Open Qualifier
11h 56m
OSC
15h 56m
OSC
1d 4h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.