• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:46
CEST 22:46
KST 05:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20268Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9545 users

So What Have We Learned? (From Glider)

Forum Index > TL Community
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
DivinO
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States4796 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-13 17:30:47
December 13 2011 17:29 GMT
#1
So obviously you've heard the story now. Glider wins. JenniferESL? Better luck next time. Glider gets a partnership or whatever it is at YouTube and goes on to some level of greater success and he's happy. As well he should be.

I guess I just wanted to call attention to what we as a community have done, time and time again.

I guess let me cite some examples.

* Remember the whole Authonomy thing with Klazart? How the TL community of the time banded together and violently supported his novel? (regardless of actual conclusion)
* When in a ridiculously short span of time Milkis set up a ChipIn and got MarineKing what he needed to go to Orlando?
* Or when Gus fucked over Amanda in the PPSL and the community (and IGN) chipped in to save her?

I get that some of those were monetary contributions and this was just a click away but I'm amazed at the level of power we have as a community. We really put up some ridiculous numbers when we all banded together to get this ball rolling. And for.... Glider?

Not that there's anything wrong with Glider. He's just not the most notable member of the community. I mean of course he did the wonderful TSL3 portraits and a ton of fanart for players. All it took was for a bunch of notables to go "Hey, we really love this guy. Please help us in helping him."

Anyway, my point. What have we learned? We've learned that our community is big, and we can throw a punch if we really need to. With the combined raw numbers of TL, reddit, and subscriber bases and twitter followers.. we have the power to do something amazing. Hell we got more signatures and votes than most white house polls do. (Not that that necessarily means a lot, but I guess just for frame of reference.)

So then... what? I mean I'm not going to go out on a limb and say we should do something. Because I have no idea what that thing should be. But if it's to further advance StarCraft and eSports? I don't see a problem with that.

I guess I'm just saying that we have a lot of power. And that if there is a reasonable cause to throw that power at, why not?

TL;DR: DivinO is stupid and mushy.
LiquipediaBrain in my filth.
Kon-Tiki
Profile Joined February 2011
United States402 Posts
December 13 2011 17:33 GMT
#2
Best TL;DR ever
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
December 13 2011 17:47 GMT
#3
You have to realize it takes a person like Glider though to enable the community powered voting machine. The same support would have never been possible if the subject would have been a random dude and not an amazingly talented artist.
Similarly the other examples you named still require that people are emotionally invested in the cause to make them vote at the call of community leaders.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
dAPhREAk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Nauru12397 Posts
December 13 2011 17:49 GMT
#4
not enough power to get Anna Prosser the community win for Miss USA. =(
DivinO
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States4796 Posts
December 13 2011 17:51 GMT
#5
On December 14 2011 02:47 zatic wrote:
You have to realize it takes a person like Glider though to enable the community powered voting machine. The same support would have never been possible if the subject would have been a random dude and not an amazingly talented artist.
Similarly the other examples you named still require that people are emotionally invested in the cause to make them vote at the call of community leaders.


Of course not.

I agree absolutely. My point is not to rally behind some random nobody. I am only saying that we have a level of power I didn't realize we had and that if there is a cause that can benefit eSports as a whole that we may be able to make something surprisingly big happen.
LiquipediaBrain in my filth.
Tortious_Tortoise
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States944 Posts
December 13 2011 17:57 GMT
#6
If Day9 doesn't win the Shorty Awards for gaming this next year, I'm going to blow up a mailbox.
Treating eSports as a social science since 2011; Credo: "The system is never wrong"-- Day9 Daily #400 Part 3
Psyonic_Reaver
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4343 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-13 18:10:04
December 13 2011 18:07 GMT
#7
1. Lot's of control.
2. Screaming and Hollering.
3. Passion.

The elements of a good cheer/support.
+ Show Spoiler +
And sometimes you have to get louder!


I am very glad Glider won. He deserves it out of the 4 videos I watched. Truly talented.

On December 14 2011 02:49 dAPhREAk wrote:
not enough power to get Anna Prosser the community win for Miss USA. =(


Darn. Can't beat the US yet. Come on TL. =)
So wait? I'm bad? =(
Murlox
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
France1699 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-13 18:28:46
December 13 2011 18:23 GMT
#8
It always boggles me when people use the word "community" or "we" in those circumstances, that is to say using those words as if they were a single entity, with a single will.

I do not think that the "community" or "we" have a single will, in fact I find this idea unconceivable. Maybe this is obvious to most (as I honestly think it should be), but times and times again I feel that those words are used by random individuals in a way that would imply the opposite, in a way that would imply that the "community" would be unambiguous.

I'm sorry maybe this is getting too wordy.

What I mean is there is no such thing as a "community" voice, there are only the sums of many individuals voices, and then it's only a matter of how you count them. As in any vote procedures.

What I also mean is do not steal the glory from the man, "we", the "community" did not make it happen, the community has no self will or unique voice. He made it happen. He appealed to a lot of individuals within the community.

He, with his talent and contributions to this site, made it possible to receive support and blessing from this site officials, followed by users.

Well... I guess I am just being very picky here after all, because what I just described is the community giving support, maybe not the whole community. So yeah, just picky.

Oh well, needed to put it down to realize that, so I'll let it be.


Edit : oh yeah and Glider's ways with a pencil (or w/e the tool) are jaw-dropping (I used to draw too).
Resistance ain't futile
Gamegene
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States8308 Posts
December 13 2011 18:32 GMT
#9
The pieces of a great machine are just waiting to be assembled.

I can't wait for SC2 to take over the world!
Hail Glider! Hail TL! Hail E-Sports!
Throw on your favorite jacket and you're good to roll. Stroll through the trees and let your miseries go.
SoniC_eu
Profile Joined April 2011
Denmark1008 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-13 19:57:46
December 13 2011 19:57 GMT
#10
"Not that there's anything wrong with Glider. He's just not the most notable member of the community. I mean of course he did the wonderful TSL3 portraits and a ton of fanart for players. All it took was for a bunch of notables to go "Hey, we really love this guy. Please help us in helping him."

That in itself is a pretty big contribution. If u study his paintings it takes several hrs pr portrait. I think he is a deserving candidate, and I'm happy he used TL to furhter his career. And like someone said, he isn't just some random guy from TL. He has been there since the BW days (read his new blog) and he has a unique talent. I wouldn't underestimate a person like that
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. http://da.twitch.tv/sonic_eu
MonkeyMaan
Profile Joined March 2011
Denmark40 Posts
December 13 2011 20:10 GMT
#11
On December 14 2011 02:49 dAPhREAk wrote:
not enough power to get Anna Prosser the community win for Miss USA. =(

The difference here being that I don't suppose foreigners (from USA's viewpoint) can vote for her, which means a significantly smaller voting base from TL.

And what have we learned? The starcraft community and/or TL community has some awesome people in it
HwangjaeTerran
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Finland5967 Posts
December 13 2011 20:13 GMT
#12
I voted for a guy who makes some of the greatest youtube content, not for someone or something that just happens to be related to starcraft.
Sure anyone can decide for themselves but I personally checked all the candidates rather than blindly vote for ESPORTS(!) and all that bullshit. The blind follow, blindly.
https://steamcommunity.com/id/*tlusernamehere*/
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37118 Posts
December 13 2011 20:15 GMT
#13
We came together and fought like a community because this time freaking Liquid`Nazgul (a goddess) stepped in and showed us the way. Then other celebrities contributed and everyone felt like "OMFG! I HAVE TO DO THIS OR I'M NOT A PART OF TL!!!"

None the less, the ending result was more than we could have hoped for. Glider won with a landslide victory. and this..... this....... this is why no matter what, TL will always be a family/the greatest community ever.

We fought together, we won together. And all for ESPORTS!!!!

We are all ballers.

'nuff said
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
SafeAsCheese
Profile Joined June 2011
United States4924 Posts
December 13 2011 20:19 GMT
#14
So basically, people are Lobbying on TL? :D

friedchicken
Profile Joined May 2011
United States143 Posts
December 13 2011 21:27 GMT
#15
Next up on ESPORTS hit list: Anna wins Miss USA, Day9 wins shorty awards, CatZ wins American Idol, Artosis is elected president.
"Don't panic" - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37118 Posts
December 13 2011 21:34 GMT
#16
On December 14 2011 06:27 friedchicken wrote:
Next up on ESPORTS hit list: Anna wins Miss USA, Day9 wins shorty awards, CatZ wins American Idol, Artosis is elected president.


That last one..... MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

Tasteless will be VP fo sho
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
Manifesto7
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Osaka27178 Posts
December 13 2011 21:49 GMT
#17
With great power comes great responsibility.
ModeratorGodfather
Enervate
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1769 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-13 22:11:14
December 13 2011 22:09 GMT
#18
On December 14 2011 06:49 Manifesto7 wrote:
With great power comes great responsibility.

I was just about to post this before scrolling down and seeing this.

Imo, the power that TL has should be used as infrequently as possible and only for the noblest of causes. Power shouldn't be abused and it's always better to err on the side of caution.

What I'm trying to say is I'm glad TL is run by very responsible people.
[F_]aths
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Germany3947 Posts
December 13 2011 22:20 GMT
#19
On December 14 2011 02:29 DivinO wrote:
I guess let me cite some examples.

* Remember the whole Authonomy thing with Klazart? How the TL community of the time banded together and violently supported his novel? (regardless of actual conclusion)
* When in a ridiculously short span of time Milkis set up a ChipIn and got MarineKing what he needed to go to Orlando?
* Or when Gus fucked over Amanda in the PPSL and the community (and IGN) chipped in to save her?
I think, donations for charity should also be mentioned. Some example includes TLO 24h stream, the Sheth/Destiny 24h double stream and Rumble in the Bronze.
You don't choose to play zerg. The zerg choose you.
qwertzi
Profile Joined March 2011
111 Posts
December 13 2011 22:37 GMT
#20
although I think it'd be funny to test the power of the community, e.g. collectively vote the shittiest movie in some choice award or something... however just like
Darn. Can't beat the US yet. Come on TL. =)

we are "only" 200k votes.. we can make more than ripples, maybe short waves, but we cannot fix presidential elections (yet)
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 29m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 582
ProTech139
RuFF_SC2 79
JuggernautJason75
Nina 69
Liquid`TLO 19
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 20259
Calm 2456
Mini 176
Dewaltoss 112
firebathero 92
soO 50
Bale 25
PianO 16
Sacsri 4
Dota 2
Gorgc7960
monkeys_forever140
canceldota29
League of Legends
Doublelift2507
Counter-Strike
Fnx 1545
fl0m1134
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu786
Other Games
summit1g4208
FrodaN1451
Beastyqt553
shahzam482
mouzStarbuck331
B2W.Neo298
ToD216
C9.Mang0120
Trikslyr110
RotterdaM89
UpATreeSC76
Mew2King38
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 41
• mYiSmile18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 14
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1042
• Shiphtur670
• WagamamaTV215
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 29m
Replay Cast
2h 14m
OSC
1d 2h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 13h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 20h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 22h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.