• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:47
CEST 04:47
KST 11:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War585.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7778 users

[FanArt] How SC2 made me fall in love with BW

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
SeinGalton
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
South Africa387 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-28 14:58:57
November 27 2011 22:07 GMT
#1
Hello, Team Liquid.

I am an illustrator living in South Africa. To say that I'm an artist would be, I feel, inaccurate. I am first, and foremost, a nerd. I grew up playing games but apart from some Quake 3 rivalries I never got into the competitive aspects of gaming and it largely went by me as I gravitated towards immersive, single-player experiences. Not to say that I didn't like competition, however: I played chess on a competitively for some time and I have always enjoyed watching European Football, if that counts.

It wasn't until the release of Starcraft 2 that these two, strangely separated interests of mine archon warped into my discovery of E-Sports. For some reason it had always eluded me.

As I learned more about StarCraft 2 I came to marvel at how these high level players were so good at this game. Historically, I had always done well in RTS games amongst my friends. How was it that these players were so many light years ahead of me? How was it that Day 9 was explaining these elaborate concepts only weeks after this games release?

Those were questions to which everyone knew the answer; but you had to think about them, repeat them out loud, to really grasp the magnitude of that answer: These players that were so unbelievably good at SC2 had learned from a legendary select few playing another, even tougher game. And they were still playing it.

Brood War.

I did not understand anything that was said, but the Zero vs Bisu ace match on Neo Aztec was the single most riveting thing I had watched up to that point. Brood War beckoned, and I could but only follow it.

I do not pretend to be a BW aficionado; even though I've always played it, my view of Brood War is so different than that of Zero and Bisu, playing their hearts out for their teams.

What I see is different. When you try something out like BW and you start getting to grips with how ridiculously tough the game is, you can only stand in awe of the inhuman capabilities of its most skilled exponents. And then? Then you go about convincing others to watch with you, you give them the punchline to your monologue:

[image loading]

It's been slapped together with some haste, making extensive use of photo-compositing and referencing (all the faces are, in fact, paint overs). But the result is okay.

Now, my modest and hastily created hype poster might not win you over, otherwise disinclined reader, but remember this: Brood War made me paint this, not Starcraft 2.

Long live Brood War!

+ Show Spoiler +
For a high-res version: http://imgur.com/MZeTD


+ Show Spoiler +
(Before I go, I just want to plug Kiett and Kiante for their threads, which gave me the idea to do the poster in the first place.


EDIT: I completely forgot to thank NeverGG for her amazing photopgraphs, the ones which I used to as the base for this image: thank you lady, your photos rocked! ) And thank you so much for the Spotlight! It feels like I've cheated my way to TL fame>
They're coming to get you, Barbara.
Phyrigian
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
New Zealand1332 Posts
November 27 2011 22:09 GMT
#2
--- Nuked ---
xccam
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Great Britain1154 Posts
November 27 2011 22:10 GMT
#3
That is amazing.
Kieofire
Profile Joined June 2011
United States1809 Posts
November 27 2011 22:11 GMT
#4
That is probably one of the best things I have seen for awhile!
Sawamura
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Malaysia7602 Posts
November 27 2011 22:11 GMT
#5
wow a star wars theme poster except our broodwar heroes are the main character in the poster , you sir , you have talent ^^
BW/KT Forever R.I.P KT.Violet dearly missed ..
Finskie
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Sweden412 Posts
November 27 2011 22:12 GMT
#6
holy shit that is beutiful
Violet.
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
November 27 2011 22:14 GMT
#7
wooow

zerg bias
LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
phosphorylation
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2935 Posts
November 27 2011 22:14 GMT
#8
holy damn..

should be banner for LR threads for next three seasons
Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> http://www.redbubble.com/people/shoenberg3
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
November 27 2011 22:19 GMT
#9
I'm glad that bw can still bring in new fan, despite what some people think.
But more importantly.... THIS POSTER IS AMAZING.
Thanks :D
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
Chimpalimp
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1135 Posts
November 27 2011 22:20 GMT
#10
Poor toss, storming his own carriers. Pretty epic fanart. With such a zerg bias I am surprised that you didn't put Effort up there, I mean someone needs to immortalize his new hair.
I like money. You like money too? We should hang out.
zimp
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Hungary959 Posts
November 27 2011 22:21 GMT
#11
nice
agentzimp
TL+ Member
Selth
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States469 Posts
November 27 2011 22:21 GMT
#12
This was done in haste? I couldn't do this if I have a month. I tip my hat to you.
Ventil
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Sweden414 Posts
November 27 2011 22:22 GMT
#13
oh... my... god...
Twitter: @VeNtiLSC
Taekwon
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8155 Posts
November 27 2011 22:25 GMT
#14
oh sexy you

fantastic journey you had.

▲ ▲ ▲
Sazchu
Profile Joined April 2007
Iceland489 Posts
November 27 2011 22:25 GMT
#15
That is such an awesome poster, love it. 5 out of 5 possible zerglings!
Ciryandor
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States3735 Posts
November 27 2011 22:26 GMT
#16
DAT FBH detail on the bottom. :p This is well done!
에일리 and 아이유 <3 - O Captain 박재혁 ・゚✧*:・*゚+..。✧・゚:*・..。 ✧・゚ :・゚* ゜・*:・ ✧・゚:・゚:.。 ✧・゚ SPARKULING ・゜・:・゚✧*:・゚✧。*゚+..。 ✧・゚: ✧・゚:*・゜・:・゚✧*::
SkimGuy
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada709 Posts
November 27 2011 22:27 GMT
#17
Is it just me or does Zero look like ForGG?
smekz
Profile Joined April 2010
Portugal503 Posts
November 27 2011 22:27 GMT
#18
amazing, love it!
rebdomine
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
6040 Posts
November 27 2011 22:27 GMT
#19
Holy crap. This is awesome.
"Just because you are correct doesn't mean you are right!"
riptide
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
5673 Posts
November 27 2011 22:29 GMT
#20
Haha, nice! Spotlighted.
AdministratorSKT T1 | Masters of the Universe
1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 211
NeuroSwarm 171
FoxeR 28
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2506
Leta 1328
Bale 55
Other Games
summit1g6963
JimRising 553
WinterStarcraft276
ViBE157
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick704
BasetradeTV162
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 107
• Light_VIP 19
• davetesta15
• Letter142
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo316
Other Games
• Scarra1069
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7h 13m
Patches Events
12h 13m
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 13m
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 13m
OSC
20h 13m
OSC
1d 9h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.