• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:51
CEST 13:51
KST 20:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)65Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12291 users

Favorite Ale

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
KhAmun
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1005 Posts
December 08 2010 05:52 GMT
#1
Just a discussion on your favorite ale, aspects that make it your favorite, and where it's from.

My personal favorite is Sierra Nevada, brewed in Chico California, known for it's hoppy, rich flavor. In fact I'm enjoying the winter celebration edition ale as we speak.

What are some of the TL favorites?

Fuck it took me long to type that.


Gonff
Profile Joined May 2010
United States686 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-08 16:13:00
December 08 2010 06:00 GMT
#2
Hoooraayy beer!

My favorite Ale right now is Turbodog from Abita (Louisiana). I've lived in the northern midwest my whole life, so I can only find it in Southern-themed spots up here, but wow is it tasty.

If you're into hearty, hoppy IPAs/APAs, you absolutely have to try the Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery in Kalamazoo Michigan. I've never been up to Michigan either but they're my favorite brewery hands down. Their limited and cask conditioned brews are top notch as well.

From my neck of the woods...

Other favorite IPA/APAs:
Alpha King from Three Floyds in Munster, Indiana
"3 Floyd’s flagship beer, Alpha King is a big American pale ale that pours a deep amber with a creamy head. This ale is brewed with Centennial, Cascade, and Warrior hops giving it an intense citrus aroma and a crisp hoppy finish."
Hopalicious from Ale Asylum in Madison, Wisconsin
"Eleven separate additions of cascade hops give this American pale ale its lush citrus aroma and bold hop flavor without crazy bitterness."
90 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head in Milton, Delaware
"Esquire Magazine calls our 90 Minute IPA., "perhaps the best I.P.A. in America." An Imperial I.P.A. brewed to be savored from a snifter. A big beer with a great malt backbone that stands up to the extreme hopping rate."

Favorite Winter Seasonal Beers:
Winter Skål from Capitol Brewery in Middleton, Wisconsin
"An amber hued beer loaded with a great depth of specialty malt character and smooth hop flavors, guaranteed to make one welcome the onslaught of the cold."
Edmund Fitzgerald Porter from Great Lakes Brewing Company in Cleveland, Ohio
*okay, it's a year-round beer, but the bar I worked at only served it during the winter :D*
"A complex, roasty porter with a bittersweet, chocolate-coffee taste and bold hop presence."
Mercy Grand Cru from Ale Asylum in Madison, Wisconsin
"Our current seasonal is a perfect companion to the holiday season! Mercy, a Belgian-style Grand Cru, has a robust floral aroma with a hint of spice. This full-bodied ale is ruby in color with flavor of dark fruits and a smooth finish. The rich flavors work equally well for a holiday cocktail gathering or side by side with your favorite holiday meal."
evoli
Profile Joined May 2010
United States333 Posts
December 08 2010 06:00 GMT
#3
Man, I feel extremely privileged to live where I do. I live in a small college town on the Northern California coast, and we have several breweries near us and access to some of the great breweries in Oregon and Washington.

Some of my favourites:

Deschutes Brewery: Black Butte Porter
Six Rivers Brewery: Moonstone Porter
Mad River Brewery: Steelhead Porter
Anderson Valley: Boont Amber Ale
Ninkasi : Tricerahops Double IPA.

And I recently had this gem recently, and I recommend you check it out if you have access to a Wholefoods. It's called Dark Force, an ImperialWheat Stout from HaandBryggeriet, a Norwegian brewery.

I love beer. Love, love, love beer. I even interviewed iNcontrol about his favourite beer for Gosutrolling.com. He remarked that he is typically a Gin man, but he does enjoy McMenamin's Ruby.
General Manager for EG // twitter.com/gosutrolling
susySquark
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1692 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-08 06:06:17
December 08 2010 06:05 GMT
#4
On December 08 2010 15:00 evoli wrote:
Man, I feel extremely privileged to live where I do. I live in a small college town on the Northern California coast, and we have several breweries near us and access to some of the great breweries in Oregon and Washington.

Some of my favourites:

Deschutes Brewery: Black Butte Porter
Six Rivers Brewery: Moonstone Porter
Mad River Brewery: Steelhead Porter
Anderson Valley: Boont Amber Ale
Ninkasi : Tricerahops Double IPA.

And I recently had this gem recently, and I recommend you check it out if you have access to a Wholefoods. It's called Dark Force, an ImperialWheat Stout from HaandBryggeriet, a Norwegian brewery.

I love beer. Love, love, love beer. I even interviewed iNcontrol about his favourite beer for Gosutrolling.com. He remarked that he is typically a Gin man, but he does enjoy McMenamin's Ruby.


Descheutes is AMAZING. Almost anything they put out is great, but Black Butte is definitely my favorite.

Anderson Valley's Barney Flatt's Oatmeal Stout is also very good.
TheRiotXL
Profile Joined August 2010
23 Posts
December 08 2010 06:06 GMT
#5
HUGE fan of Sierra Nevada. Live about two hours from chico.

If you're looking for a good pale ale like Sierra Nevada's green label check out Hangar 24, it's a micro brewery in Redlands, CA. Awesome pale ales! As well Maximus makes a very good pale ale.

Have you tried Sierra Nevadas Torpedo and Big Foot? Talk about a hoppy mess of delicious pleasure.
barkles
Profile Joined May 2010
United States285 Posts
December 08 2010 06:06 GMT
#6
All the beers listed so far are great. Some of my favorites:

Great Lakes Brewing Company in Cleveland - All of them, but especially the Edmund Fitzgerald Porter
Saison Dupont (from Belgium)
Surly Darkness, Furious, and Abrasive Ale
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Boulevard Brewing Company Unfiltered Wheat (their Saison is really good as well)
All of the Trappist beers (Rochefort, Orval, etc.)
Nedfryst
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden32 Posts
December 08 2010 06:07 GMT
#7
Innes&Gunn Honey flavour ftw! :D
"Remember that anyone who is worse than you is a n00b, and anyone who is better than you has no life."
KhAmun
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1005 Posts
December 08 2010 06:08 GMT
#8
On December 08 2010 15:00 evoli wrote:
Man, I feel extremely privileged to live where I do. I live in a small college town on the Northern California coast, and we have several breweries near us and access to some of the great breweries in Oregon and Washington.

Some of my favourites:

Deschutes Brewery: Black Butte Porter
Six Rivers Brewery: Moonstone Porter
Mad River Brewery: Steelhead Porter
Anderson Valley: Boont Amber Ale
Ninkasi : Tricerahops Double IPA.

And I recently had this gem recently, and I recommend you check it out if you have access to a Wholefoods. It's called Dark Force, an ImperialWheat Stout from HaandBryggeriet, a Norwegian brewery.

I love beer. Love, love, love beer. I even interviewed iNcontrol about his favourite beer for Gosutrolling.com. He remarked that he is typically a Gin man, but he does enjoy McMenamin's Ruby.

Do you live in humboldt?
I'm in Mendocino myself, and I love the breweries around here.
Red tail ale out of ukiah is good too.
(home town)
I haven't tried many small scale ales out of northern/central california though.
garbanzo
Profile Joined October 2009
United States4046 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-08 06:13:37
December 08 2010 06:12 GMT
#9
Tooooo many, I'll just name a few.

Dogfishhead's 120-minute IPA
Avery Samael
Great Divide Yeti

There are tons more. I have a display of empty bottles. I can't remember most of the top of my head.

Edit: Almost any quad or imperial stout!
Even during difficult times, when I sat down to play the game, there were times where it felt like god has descended down and played [for me].
actionbastrd
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Congo598 Posts
December 08 2010 06:16 GMT
#10
Give 3/4 beers, ranging in darkness.

Widmere hefeweizen (with a lemon ftw)
Widmere Deadlift (great IPA, 9%?)
Silver City scotch ale (scotch ale, smooth, silky, prolly wouldnt drink more than 2. 9%ish)
Annd hm... for a light choice,

Henery wienhards Blue boar or blondey.

All 4 beers are local micro brews in Western Washington.
The micro brews around here are amazing, dont drink domestic crap like bug light n shit unless its beer pong, in which case im chugging it anyway lol. No flavor in those.

There are also great seasonal beers here too, but thats another list. If anyone in the area is interested i can suggest some of the Winter brews tho!
Cheers!
It rained today inside my head...
Dugrok
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada377 Posts
December 08 2010 06:17 GMT
#11
I have to admit I'm a big fan of Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale (brewed in Halifax Nova-Scotia, Canada). Alternatively (and a bit more expensive, but worth it) I absolutely love a nice Stella Artois (brewed in Leuven, Belgium) from the tap, but then again that's a blonde lager.
KhAmun
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1005 Posts
December 08 2010 06:19 GMT
#12
On December 08 2010 15:16 actionbastrd wrote:
Give 3/4 beers, ranging in darkness.

Widmere hefeweizen (with a lemon ftw)
Widmere Deadlift (great IPA, 9%?)
Silver City scotch ale (scotch ale, smooth, silky, prolly wouldnt drink more than 2. 9%ish)
Annd hm... for a light choice,

Henery wienhards Blue boar or blondey.

All 4 beers are local micro brews in Western Washington.
The micro brews around here are amazing, dont drink domestic crap like bug light n shit unless its beer pong, in which case im chugging it anyway lol. No flavor in those.

There are also great seasonal beers here too, but thats another list. If anyone in the area is interested i can suggest some of the Winter brews tho!
Cheers!

Widmere is a pretty large brewery I thought, just had their drifter ale a couple days ago, it was nice.
IPA is nice, insane amounts of hops.
Impervious
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Canada4222 Posts
December 08 2010 06:22 GMT
#13
On December 08 2010 15:17 Dugrok wrote:
I have to admit I'm a big fan of Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale (brewed in Halifax Nova-Scotia, Canada). Alternatively (and a bit more expensive, but worth it) I absolutely love a nice Stella Artois (brewed in Leuven, Belgium) from the tap, but then again that's a blonde lager.

Sleeman makes a really nice India pale ale as well. Although, it's harder to get a hold of (fortunately, I'm from Guelph). They also make a realy awesome cream ale.
~ \(ˌ)im-ˈpər-vē-əs\ : not capable of being damaged or harmed.
surLoop
Profile Joined May 2010
United States80 Posts
December 08 2010 06:24 GMT
#14
Racer 5 IPA - Bear Republic Brewing Co. Healdsburg, CA

Favorite for now, I like the IPA's.
KhAmun
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1005 Posts
December 08 2010 06:27 GMT
#15
On December 08 2010 15:24 surLoop wrote:
Racer 5 IPA - Bear Republic Brewing Co. Healdsburg, CA

Favorite for now, I like the IPA's.


Yeah Bear Republic is very nice as far as IPA goes, and healdsburg is right down the road basically, i love living in northern california.
im really surprised there isnt more sierra nevada love though
susySquark
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1692 Posts
December 08 2010 06:31 GMT
#16
A few more:

Karl Strauss's Red Trolley Ale
Alagash White
Three Philosophers Belgian
TheRiotXL
Profile Joined August 2010
23 Posts
December 08 2010 06:32 GMT
#17
I agree, Sierra Nevada has the best Pale Ale's around. Their Torpedo IPA I think is trumped by none.

Their stouts are amazing as well, rich and full of flavor. If anyone is in to a more malty beer, I would definitely recommend it.

And bigfoot for a barleywine if you feel like having a meal and a beer all in one.
Roe
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada6002 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-08 06:40:16
December 08 2010 06:38 GMT
#18
Wieckse Rose. I usually prefer hard liquor, but this one has a good taste albeit probably over-sweetened.
edit: what is an ale anyways?
YoureFired
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States822 Posts
December 08 2010 06:39 GMT
#19
I'm still under 21 so I haven't gotten a huge variety, but Guinness beer from Ireland is damn delicious. When I was in Scotland I had that with practically every meal - the foam and the aftertaste are just so amazing.
ted cruz is the zodiac killer
inFeZa
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Australia556 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-08 06:41:39
December 08 2010 06:41 GMT
#20
[image loading]

nuff said

i dont care if its not an ale. its amazing.
Starcraft 2 in-game Observer. Follow me twitter.com/infeza
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings113
CranKy Ducklings SOOP33
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko282
ProTech133
SHIN 115
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 27738
Hyuk 1255
Shuttle 1197
Bisu 1152
Mind 853
Larva 303
Mini 296
firebathero 258
EffOrt 194
Soma 182
[ Show more ]
Last 134
Leta 101
ZerO 99
Zeus 75
Pusan 71
Hyun 67
Hm[arnc] 53
Sexy 35
sorry 35
Bale 33
Trap 33
hero 32
PianO 31
Killer 30
ToSsGirL 26
Aegong 25
Noble 13
yabsab 13
JulyZerg 8
Sacsri 7
zelot 7
Dota 2
Dendi927
XcaliburYe634
XaKoH 433
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1503
Other Games
gofns37061
singsing2469
B2W.Neo902
crisheroes334
DeMusliM216
Happy196
OGKoka 180
Mew2King113
Livibee99
ArmadaUGS60
ToD57
ZerO(Twitch)4
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream208
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 56
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8201
League of Legends
• Jankos1738
Other Games
• WagamamaTV205
Upcoming Events
FEL
4h 9m
AI Arena Tournament
5h 9m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
7h 9m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
22h 9m
INu's Battles
1d
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 7h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 7h
Replay Cast
1d 12h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 22h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 23h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.