• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:50
CEST 04:50
KST 11:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War585.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7664 users

Real-Time Chess

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
noddyz
Profile Joined October 2008
United Kingdom462 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-17 03:14:14
March 17 2010 03:13 GMT
#1
So with two of teamliquid’s favourite hobbies being chess and real-time strategy I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in/currently plays:

Tempest Chess

It’s real time chess. I know that sounds insane and to be honest, it’s a pretty crazy game. I played some high ranked guy on fast standard and he’d managed to take my entire back row while I’d being moving my pawn. I don’t think I’d ever had so much fun get my ass handed to me though.

It basically plays like you’d expect something called real-time chess to but with two features that make it playable. The first is that it takes time for your piece to move across the board, so you can move your piece out of the way if you’re fast enough. The second is a delay after making a move before you can move the same piece again, which stops you making insane suicide moves. Both lengths of time can be varied but I recommend fast standard for the true omg what the hell is going on experience.

I now have to go work on knight micro.
?
Sentient66
Profile Joined July 2009
United States651 Posts
March 17 2010 03:23 GMT
#2
Oh man, this looks really fun. Thanks for sharing!
seNsiX.421
Shinshady
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada1237 Posts
March 17 2010 03:31 GMT
#3
Our APM's are gonna increase by like 100 at the end of the day LOL. Thanks for the link
BeSt[WHITE] Have a great retirement | "SKT is best KT." - Vortok | http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/7190/ep24hitcombo2small.gif
noddyz
Profile Joined October 2008
United Kingdom462 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-17 03:45:41
March 17 2010 03:37 GMT
#4
On March 17 2010 12:31 Shinshady wrote:
Our APM's are gonna increase by like 100 at the end of the day LOL. Thanks for the link


I thought starcraft had given me a good apm. I was wrong.
?
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
March 17 2010 03:39 GMT
#5
Gonna check it out later. I know someone who is really going to appreciate it, thanks.
huameng
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States1133 Posts
March 17 2010 03:42 GMT
#6
This game is so much fun, a friend showed me this a while ago. Tough to get games against people who aren't really good though :|
skating
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
March 17 2010 03:45 GMT
#7
i played some of it
it was CRAZY
randombum
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States2378 Posts
March 17 2010 04:04 GMT
#8
A LONG time ago I used to play something I think was called sumochess which was exactly the same thing, but I lost the site and haven't bothered with it since. They also had a mode for a 4 player ffa in a big square where your pawn could eat their pawn and knight if they weren't fast enough it made for some crazy games.
ChessWhiz
Profile Joined November 2006
United States260 Posts
March 17 2010 04:05 GMT
#9
I'm owning it up with an 0-8 record. My normal chess skills will kick in soon, I'm sure.
"chesswhiz aint too bad at all actually" --iNcontroL
[X]Ken_D
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
United States4653 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-17 04:13:56
March 17 2010 04:11 GMT
#10
Reading the title, I was thinking it was just chess with a timer. Seeing the demo, I can say that it is a an awesome concept. If they enhance the graphics and add sounds then games like this I am willing to buy as an indie title.

[X]Domain - I just do the website. Nothing more.
synapse
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
China13814 Posts
March 17 2010 04:30 GMT
#11
holy shit this is epic
:)
Eben
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States769 Posts
March 17 2010 04:33 GMT
#12
this is nothing like what I thought it was going to be...

insanity
Rufio
Profile Joined December 2009
241 Posts
March 17 2010 04:42 GMT
#13
Really cool game, its way better than I expected it to be. Time to show all my friends.

Thanks noddyz
"Rufio Rufio Ru Fi OOOooo" - The Lost Boys
Athos
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States2484 Posts
March 17 2010 04:49 GMT
#14
I thought this game was called Kong Fu chess?
AppleTart
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States1261 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-17 05:02:04
March 17 2010 05:00 GMT
#15
its the same as the classic kung fu chess but without the soundeffects. Kung fu chess also had 4 way
always tired -_-
snotboogie
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Australia3550 Posts
March 17 2010 05:02 GMT
#16
holy micro....
Yammiez
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada186 Posts
March 17 2010 05:43 GMT
#17
I have to say it does look like some really trippy stuff. Unfortunately I suck at chess =P Can't spend my all my APM microing pieces randomly.
Smash fear, learn anything; except for spiders
RandomAccount#49059
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2140 Posts
March 17 2010 05:53 GMT
#18
--- Nuked ---
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
March 17 2010 06:08 GMT
#19
This looks amazing.
I'mma have to try this sometime soon.
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
Bill Murray
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States9292 Posts
March 17 2010 06:24 GMT
#20
u dont have time u have to maintain your mafia modding prowess
University of Kentucky Basketball #1
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 10m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 206
NeuroSwarm 166
FoxeR 36
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2506
Leta 1328
Bale 55
Other Games
summit1g7769
JimRising 560
WinterStarcraft284
ViBE153
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick695
BasetradeTV205
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 111
• Light_VIP 19
• davetesta18
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo411
Other Games
• Scarra1069
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7h 10m
Patches Events
12h 10m
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 10m
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 10m
OSC
20h 10m
OSC
1d 9h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.