• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:26
CEST 01:26
KST 08:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War685.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
ESL Pro Tour for SC2 discontinued [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion Ziemie's Starcraft 1 Prequel Campaign Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch)
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12235 users

Interview with BigBalls!

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
RaGe
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
Belgium9950 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-09 17:12:08
October 09 2009 17:11 GMT
#1
After a few months, I thought it was time for another interview. This time with an old TL legend: Ryan Daut aka BigBalls.


Sup BigBalls! Can you introduce yourself for those who don't know you?

Wassssup, my name is Ryan Daut, I played Starcraft from probably about 1998 to 2005, and i play protoss like all good hearted people. I started posting on TeamLiquid back in around 2003 and nowadays post on TL's little brother Liquidpoker. I made the switch from starcraft to poker about 2005 and every 6 months or so have a tryst with my old flame, usually on iCCup.


Last interview Day[9] said the following when appointing you as the next interviewee:

He and I were both math majors. A huge number of people who play StarCraft just love playing it. But, like me, BigBalls loves analyzing play and thinking methodically.

I mean we both love playing, but I definitely relate to that analytic side. Plus he's fucking hilarious and a monster gentleman.


Do you consider that accurate, eventhough you don't really play that much anymore?



Yes, even when I watch Proleague matches nowadays my analytical side takes over and I try to figure out optimal counters to what each player is doing and the benefits to the build orders they use. Being analytical was really necessary to my development as a Starcraft player, especially since I was probably the slowest competent player in the history of the game, my micro skills and speed were so bad that I needed to make up for it by having a better understanding of the game so I would analyze stuff in great detail. That type of mindset and approach to the game has extended to poker as well.


You're one of the more notable Starcraft turned poker players in the world. A lot of comparisons between SC and poker have been made to explain the big number of successful transitions from SC to poker. How would you explain this with your analytical mindset?


I think that there are a number of reasons there have been many to transition successfully from sc to poker. Besides being generally smart people, good Starcraft players have a strong drive to succeed at games. I think the most important factor to becoming "good" at something is how much work you put into it, way more so than natural intelligence.

Of course other personality traits like patience and levelheadedness which allow people to analyze their own mistakes in a logical manner are very important as well. One last factor i think is having a strong network of friends that help each other improve.

Both games are played against other people, and the best Starcraft players were the ones who had good training partners and practiced for hours on end with them. Poker is no different. We may not be actually playing against our friends for long periods of time, but having someone to talk to about the game really aids understanding concepts and flattens the learning curve of the game.

So basically, once a bunch of Starcraft players took up poker, all had a better chance to succeed by collectively learning different parts of the game together and giving each other advice in spots where one brain isn't necessarily enough to solve difficult problems.


Yeah, I think that's a very realistic explanation. You mentioned you still watch Proleague matches. Do you do this regularly? And do you still keep up with SC and the TL community?


Two seasons back I played fantasy starcraft, and it was fun following my players. Occasionally I will watch a live stream of proleague matches or a starleague with nazgul or some other friends, but I dont actively keep up with what goes on in the SC world from week to week. As for TL, I check the site every couple weeks to see any news on SC2 and just to find out whats going on in the world.


So you're following SC2 development.. Are you excited for SC2, and would you play it competitively if it turned out to be as good as SC?


The only computer games I ever got into for more than a few weeks were Starcraft and Warcraft 3, so a new blizzard rts game is obviously something im very excited for. As for playing it competitively, I would definitely try my hardest to get good at the game and play on the ladders. I love nothing more than finding something that is challenging and I can compete against others in, and what better than a second Starcraft game? I seriously doubt that I would be able to keep up with the people who devoted their lives to it but I would try to become fairly competitive at it and do as well in ladders, tournaments and vs my friends as I could.


I guess your poker life deserves a question too. I think most of the TL veterans remember the rail topic for the PCA finals. How has poker been for you since then?


Poker has gone very well since then. I had some success in other tournaments in 2007, placing 9th and 6th in two other WPT events, but since then I havent played many live tournaments. Online I mostly concentrate on cash games and that has gone well in the past 3 years, but nowadays I dont play all that much. Most of my time in poker is devoted to the staking business that I run with Nazgul and mig.com, who I think played some Starcraft before poker. It's a very swingy way to invest your money, but overall we do make a nice return and have one of the most successful backing stables in all of poker.


Alright, I guess that about wraps it up. Do you have any idea who to choose as next interviewee?


Pretty tough choice, there are a lot of people I can choose from, but i think i have a clear choice: you should interview Giyom next. He was the best sc player in the world for a period of time, is old school, switched to poker, and is best friends with Rekrul/Elky/Spunky so I think he is the perfect person to interview.
If you cant get a hold of him I would say interview spunky as he is Korean, fluent in English, has an insight into the pro world of Starcraft and the game itself that not many people do and he is an awesome awesome person.


Ok, Giyom it is. Thanks for doing this interview, Ryan. Any last words/shoutouts/MSPaint Drawings?


Sadly there are too many people to do shoutouts, I would inevitably leave someone out. As for mspaints, I don't know if TL ever experienced the pictures I used to draw so here is the first one I ever drew, I still consider it one of my best, it's a depiction of the final scene of King Kong.
[image loading]
Moderatorsometimes I get intimidated by the size of my right testicle
nttea
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Sweden4353 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-09 17:21:00
October 09 2009 17:20 GMT
#2
the drawing was worse than the interview!
bigballs is such a horrible nick btw :/
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
October 09 2009 17:20 GMT
#3
he is a great guy / nice SC poster boy

great interview rage.. ty.
RaGe
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
Belgium9950 Posts
October 09 2009 17:28 GMT
#4
On October 10 2009 02:20 nttea wrote:
the drawing was worse than the interview!
bigballs is such a horrible nick btw :/

how can you not like that drawing

you have no heart
Moderatorsometimes I get intimidated by the size of my right testicle
BuGzlToOnl
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States5918 Posts
October 09 2009 17:29 GMT
#5
If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.
BigBalls
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States5354 Posts
October 09 2009 17:31 GMT
#6
On October 10 2009 02:20 nttea wrote:
bigballs is such a horrible nick btw :/


think of how i must feel about making a silly name when i was 13, basically quit using it when i was 19 and had it follow me around til im 25 still!
if you guys could use google and post direct links to the maphacks here it would be greatly appreciated. - Nazgul
Slaughter
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
United States20255 Posts
October 09 2009 17:36 GMT
#7
Your stories were always awesome! Im glad everything is going well for you.
Never Knows Best.
XDawn
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
Canada4040 Posts
October 09 2009 17:39 GMT
#8
On October 10 2009 02:31 BigBalls wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2009 02:20 nttea wrote:
bigballs is such a horrible nick btw :/


think of how i must feel about making a silly name when i was 13, basically quit using it when i was 19 and had it follow me around til im 25 still!


how the heck did you even come up with such a name? lol
Use it or lose it
CrownRoyal
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Vatican City State1872 Posts
October 09 2009 17:39 GMT
#9
bigballs is an awesome nickname
You're pretty when I'm drunk.
CrownRoyal
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Vatican City State1872 Posts
October 09 2009 17:40 GMT
#10
there is a story somewhere on tl about how he got his name
You're pretty when I'm drunk.
Ro[]t
Profile Joined July 2008
Sweden147 Posts
October 09 2009 17:42 GMT
#11
Great interview and best of luck to you BigBalls <3
andiCR
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Costa Rica2273 Posts
October 09 2009 17:47 GMT
#12
hahaha :D

Great picture! Im a little sad that i was not part of TL during this time
Nightmare1795 wrote: I played a guy in bronze who said he was Japanese. That was the only game I ever dropped a nuke, which was purely coincidental.
paper
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
13197 Posts
October 09 2009 18:02 GMT
#13
i loved bigballs' stories!
Hates Fun🤔
kidd
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
United States2848 Posts
October 09 2009 18:21 GMT
#14
Nice interview, how good was bigballs in bw when he played a lot. I remember back in the day he used to be the chill of the strategy forums.
Hi
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
October 09 2009 18:29 GMT
#15
good interview! Albeit quite short

Bigballs, how good were you at SC? And did you play protoss because they were the easiest race?
I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
Iplaythings
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Denmark9110 Posts
October 09 2009 18:30 GMT
#16
Interesting interview, never knew about him before now, seems like a great guy to me.

Other then that the Day[9] interview was mentioned ? (; anyone mind linking meh it? (pleaaaase!)
In the woods, there lurks..
EGLzGaMeR
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States1867 Posts
October 09 2009 18:31 GMT
#17
nice interview hope to see you competeing again for sc2!
Nebula
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
England780 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-09 18:33:27
October 09 2009 18:31 GMT
#18
There's a really good demo in the TL rep section of BigBalls vs Midian. He was a pretty damn good P player. This was back when every other day a thread would pop up about how ridiculously hard pvz was.

Edit : http://www.teamliquid.net/replay/download.php?replay=533
<3
leMaj24
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States262 Posts
October 09 2009 18:34 GMT
#19
he's a great guy, back when he lead the USA national team and i was some random 11 year old newb on battle.net, he took the time to add me on AIM to answer a few questions about certain protoss matchups, ty for that!<3
IntoTheWow
Profile Blog Joined May 2004
is awesome32282 Posts
October 09 2009 18:38 GMT
#20
Awesome!~
Moderator<:3-/-<
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
The QMC Showmatch 1
CranKy Ducklings37
OSC
08:00
Masters Cup #151: Group A
davetesta11
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O118
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 9542
Artosis 722
ZZZero.O 118
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm183
League of Legends
Doublelift5580
JimRising 353
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe15
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4075
Other Games
summit1g9430
FrodaN2209
Liquid`RaSZi1894
Livibee457
C9.Mang0413
Maynarde157
ArmadaUGS42
Mew2King42
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1183
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 136
• musti20045 32
• Sammyuel 29
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1567
• Scarra1243
• Shiphtur628
Upcoming Events
OSC
12h 34m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 11h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.