• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:12
CEST 04:12
KST 11:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7095 users

Do you adblock TeamLiquid? - Page 14

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 57 Next
jdseemoreglass
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States3773 Posts
November 03 2011 20:15 GMT
#261
On November 04 2011 05:02 Hot_Bid wrote:
As for the "Don't Hurt ESPORTS" text, obviously it was a joke. We were making fun of people who always used that tagline no matter what. We don't actually think that. It's amazing how many people took it seriously, so many that we had to remove it.

We've always dealt with this sort of stuff in a very straight forward way, so it is what it is: our banner ads are a (hopefully minor) inconvenience to users but it really helps TL out.

Just because a lot of people online are ignorant doesn't mean you guys should remove the tag line. I say just let them complain. Why ruin a joke for the sake of the mouth breathers?

I don't think any community should cater to slow people. I'd be happier seeing them chased away. Of course that would mean less traffic and revenue... but it would be worth it At least I could make my highly sarcastic posts without chaos ensuing.

I feel the same way about bm. Let anyone who gets overly offended by words on the internet uninstall their game, and we will be better off for it. But I guess that's just me...
"If you want this forum to be full of half-baked philosophy discussions between pompous faggots like yourself forever, stay the course captain vanilla" - FakeSteve[TPR], 2006
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
November 03 2011 20:15 GMT
#262
I have good internet.

Can I add more ads to my TL experience?
twitch.tv/medrea
motbob
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States12546 Posts
November 03 2011 20:16 GMT
#263
On November 04 2011 05:10 Hot_Bid wrote:
FYI we have changed the banner to "Don't Hurt This Elephant," too many people did not understand the sarcasm of the "Don't Hurt ESPORTS" line.

Wow, I hope this is a joke and that you're changing it back soon.

"Don't hurt this elephant" doesn't make any sense. At least change it to "don't hurt Elly"?
ModeratorGood content always wins.
SinCitta
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Germany2127 Posts
November 03 2011 20:16 GMT
#264
I disabled it on TL.net, but the advertisements are really, really shitty
schmeh
Profile Joined October 2011
United States2 Posts
November 03 2011 20:16 GMT
#265
On November 04 2011 04:49 blindsniper wrote:
I could unblock TL, but I keep adblock on because they temp ban me for any little thing I say.

User was temp banned for this post.

Whoa. Way to be predictable TL. >_>

No offense or anything, but you guys seem kinda mean here.

Anyway yeah, I keep my adblock off cause I <3 eSports.
Soap
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Brazil1546 Posts
November 03 2011 20:17 GMT
#266
I don't, because I know TL is run by people smart enough to never make it obtrusive. But to navigate in the internet at large it is a must.

I wish there was a subscription option like reddit, would happily pay around five bucks a month to support TL without the annoyance of ads.
bonifaceviii
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada2890 Posts
November 03 2011 20:17 GMT
#267
On November 04 2011 05:16 schmeh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 04 2011 04:49 blindsniper wrote:
I could unblock TL, but I keep adblock on because they temp ban me for any little thing I say.

User was temp banned for this post.

Whoa. Way to be predictable TL. >_>

No offense or anything, but you guys seem kinda mean here.

Anyway yeah, I keep my adblock off cause I <3 eSports.

In case you didn't know, TL has a rule against martyring.

Mention that a post will get you banned, regardless of its banworthiness, and the mods will ban you automatically. It's nothing personal.
Stay a while and listen || http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=354018
zeru
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
8156 Posts
November 03 2011 20:18 GMT
#268
--- Nuked ---
Hot_Bid
Profile Blog Joined October 2003
Braavos36402 Posts
November 03 2011 20:20 GMT
#269
On November 04 2011 05:11 howerpower wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 04 2011 05:06 Hot_Bid wrote:
On November 04 2011 05:04 howerpower wrote:
On November 04 2011 05:02 Hot_Bid wrote:
On November 04 2011 04:45 gds wrote:
On November 04 2011 04:40 Mig wrote:
When you block their primary source of income you are nothing more than a leech.

98% of the tl content is made by the community, so calling adblockers leech is quite hilarious.

Honestly, I don't understand this mentality. Clearly, TL and the community both benefit from each other, and both TL and the community do things that the other couldn't. We would not exist without each other. However, what the guy said is partly true. If everyone used adblock on TL, we'd have shut down, no matter how many people wrote news articles. It's your browser, it's your right to do whatever you wish. But we believe we're justified in asking (nicely) for you to disable it. Obviously, we'd never ban or shitlist people who use adblock, just cast righteous, elitist judgment on you.

As for the "Don't Hurt ESPORTS" text, obviously it was a joke. We were making fun of people who always used that tagline no matter what. We don't actually think that. It's amazing how many people took it seriously, so many that we had to remove it.


right, the community wouldn't exist without TL......

Seriously? You cherry pick a line out of my post?

I obviously meant the TL community.

The TL community is the starcraft community, which doesn't need to TL to survive anymore.
It used to be the place for everything starcraft, but honestly the only way I find it useful anymore is the streamlist and the awesome players you support.

I don't understand what you are arguing. I am saying the TL community and TL as an entity are in a symbiotic relationship, it's not a one way street in terms of owing or leeching or whatever. You personally not finding TL useful anymore is irrelevant to the discussion of whether we're justified in asking nicely for people to stop adblocking, because the fact is some people do find TL useful and feel differently than you do.

On November 04 2011 05:16 motbob wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 04 2011 05:10 Hot_Bid wrote:
FYI we have changed the banner to "Don't Hurt This Elephant," too many people did not understand the sarcasm of the "Don't Hurt ESPORTS" line.

Wow, I hope this is a joke and that you're changing it back soon.

"Don't hurt this elephant" doesn't make any sense. At least change it to "don't hurt Elly"?

It makes perfect sense, it's an elephant. Like "if you build more workers, you will mine more minerals." Very much sense.
@Hot_Bid on Twitter - ESPORTS life since 2010 - http://i.imgur.com/U2psw.png
Mstring
Profile Joined September 2011
Australia510 Posts
November 03 2011 20:21 GMT
#270
On November 04 2011 05:12 LoLAdriankat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 04 2011 05:05 Klonere wrote:
People's ability to deal with small, trivial annoyances is so small now, its quite sad.

I think some people just can't get their brain to filter out advertisements. People are saying how distracting they are, but I don't even look at them or think about them.


Why does TL or any other site owner deserve to receive payment for showing you an ad which will never give them a return?

If you don't have adblock and want to "help e-sports" but want to do it for "free" (LOL!), you should be looking at every ad and letting them manipulate you just like they were designed to.

If TL is providing you such a great service; one that you want to see stick around; wouldn't it be best to directly give them a few dollars?
decaf
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria1797 Posts
November 03 2011 20:21 GMT
#271
On November 04 2011 05:10 Hot_Bid wrote:
FYI we have changed the banner to "Don't Hurt This Elephant," too many people did not understand the sarcasm of the "Don't Hurt ESPORTS" line.

ROFL, really? Because of my thread?
Daria
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Australia500 Posts
November 03 2011 20:22 GMT
#272
The banner doesn't annoy me at all, i leave it off
if there were pop-ups, adblock on
daria[e]
Charger
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2405 Posts
November 03 2011 20:23 GMT
#273
On November 04 2011 05:16 schmeh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 04 2011 04:49 blindsniper wrote:
I could unblock TL, but I keep adblock on because they temp ban me for any little thing I say.

User was temp banned for this post.

Whoa. Way to be predictable TL. >_>

No offense or anything, but you guys seem kinda mean here.

Anyway yeah, I keep my adblock off cause I <3 eSports.


Posts: 1
Seems legit.

Anyway, it's quite shocking how much people feel entitled to on the internet. You aren't entitled to an ad free internet. You aren't entitled to ad free streams. Those ads pay for everything you enjoy. If everyone felt as entitled as you do and blocked every site I can f'in promise they'd find other ways to get their money and I can promise you all will be the first ones crying about it.

Support the things that you enjoy, having a banner ad on a site isn't some mysterious object that shatters all of your hard concentration and distracts you away from the content - give me a f'in break. All I hear when I read some of these posts is spoiled little kids who just want want want and have no desire to do even the smallest of things to support anything they enjoy.

It's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback.
Hot_Bid
Profile Blog Joined October 2003
Braavos36402 Posts
November 03 2011 20:23 GMT
#274
On November 04 2011 05:21 decaf wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 04 2011 05:10 Hot_Bid wrote:
FYI we have changed the banner to "Don't Hurt This Elephant," too many people did not understand the sarcasm of the "Don't Hurt ESPORTS" line.

ROFL, really? Because of my thread?

Because of the responses, a lot of people seem offended and don't get the joke. It seems its a sensitive subject and we'd rather not be lumped in with people who actually mean the "Don't Hurt ESPORTS" bs.
@Hot_Bid on Twitter - ESPORTS life since 2010 - http://i.imgur.com/U2psw.png
Rebel_lion
Profile Joined January 2009
United States271 Posts
November 03 2011 20:24 GMT
#275
I have it off, but it is also not intrusive yet. This is the way things go. I fully intend to turn it on when this place becomes a shit storm of ads. Already kinda is, i remembered when coaching first started up i was like: here we go, this is going to be the end of it.

When TL becomes a place i perceive as just trying to sell me stuff, ad-block away. New site changes i can count 4 spots where they pimping "services" Oh well. SC2 is just a big cash grab right now anyways. A fool and his gold.

Wow, the more i think of it, the more im wanting to go turn that on....
Something witty here....
Tunkeg
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
Norway1235 Posts
November 03 2011 20:24 GMT
#276
The ads on TL are not at all intrusive. I hardly notice they are there. There are no pop ups, roll overs or other "piss me off" ads. Just bars that blends in in the back. I can't see how thats to much to handle for anyone.
Kamais_Ookin
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada4218 Posts
November 03 2011 20:27 GMT
#277
Absolutely shame on everyone who has adblock on, I support TL 100%

It's a shame people don't get the "don't hurt ESPORTS" I hope it doesn't get changed.
I <3 Plexa.
SillyPrincess
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada115 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-03 20:29:10
November 03 2011 20:27 GMT
#278
"The only downside - the elephant will be gone"
I miss elly, so I will keep adblock on. Unless they put a cute elly design on the left and right empty white/blank spaces on the site for widescreen viewers.
For the swarm. ♥
dragonblue14
Profile Joined March 2010
United States11 Posts
November 03 2011 20:28 GMT
#279
Dammit i miss the elephant now. Strangely ad block on chrome has never blocked TL ads. Firefox did though.
Mstring
Profile Joined September 2011
Australia510 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-03 20:31:32
November 03 2011 20:30 GMT
#280
On November 04 2011 05:27 Kamais_Ookin wrote:
Absolutely shame on everyone who has adblock on, I support TL 100%


How much money has been transfered (by buying things from seeing ads, or from direct donations) from you to TL as a result of your shameless 100% support?
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 57 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings95
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 156
RuFF_SC2 137
ProTech122
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13931
Rain 2245
Shuttle 608
Artosis 575
NaDa 30
Bale 29
League of Legends
Doublelift3844
Counter-Strike
taco 357
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox801
Mew2King87
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor947
Other Games
summit1g8826
Day[9].tv709
JimRising 644
PiGStarcraft339
C9.Mang0308
ArmadaUGS66
ViBE57
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV285
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream83
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 128
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP94
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra780
• Day9tv709
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
10h 48m
OSC
19h 48m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 7h
Online Event
1d 8h
FEL
1d 13h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 14h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 16h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.