• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:01
CEST 20:01
KST 03:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8177 users

An Interview with TL.net's "GTR"

Forum Index > TL Community
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
irninja
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States1220 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-13 00:14:39
June 12 2011 22:59 GMT
#1
I figured I'd share this interview for you TL lurkers out there like us who like a good read. Interviews are always fun, and this one was no exception. I'd like to give thanks for all the support the TL mods have given us thus far, you guys rock!

Edit: 500th post. <3



Article Content:
________________________________________________________________

[image loading]

It's no secret that while the members of this community are branching out and trying to make their name in GW2, their hearts and minds will always have a place for TeamLiquid.net. TeamLiquid.net is a premier site for Starcraft 1 and 2 news and harbors the forefront of everything that is competitive in E-Sports. Even today, TeamLiquid strives to make its name known for being one of the main sites that continue publicizing the competitive PC gaming scene to the masses beyond just the dedicated gamers themselves. The goal to make games such as SC2 a spectator sport is one shared by many, and could quite possibly with the current focus, change the way the world views PC Gaming and E-Sports as a whole in the future.

We took a moment to reach out to the staff that runs TeamLiquid.net and got a hold of one of the leading mods, GTR. GTR is well known for his in-depth coverage of the Starcraft: Brood War scene, and even today, continues to revitalize and keep alive the game that will be known many years from now as the game that started it all.


Freelancer:
What are your main jobs within the teamliquid.net community? How did you start with them?

GTR:
Currently, my official 'job' on staff is the Head of Fansubbing (formerly I was also leading the Translation team but recently stepped down to allow Waxangel to take over). In reality though, due to school season, our team is in its downtime, so I just do a bunch of odd jobs everywhere, too many to mention (TSL, BW-related stuff just to name a few).

I was hired onto Teamliquid staff initially as a Proleague/Minor League writer. While my writing skills were god awful, (I guess) the staff liked my enthusiasm and dedication. When we restarted the TLPD project, I moved onto that and worked with it for quite some time until its release. After that, I really never had a true role, just doing odd jobs around the forum for staff, mostly calendar/liquibet work. It was not until near the start of the SC2 beta where Plexa asked me to lead the Translation team (even though I didn't know much Korean, I was planning to go study it at university), so naturally, the role is somewhat of a fit for me, which I accepted. However, there were many difficulties during my tenure (which I won't go into), so I stepped down and allowed Waxangel (who is a staff veteran, and someone I highly respect) to take over.

Fansubbing is a tough job. I figured, the more people that work on projects, the easier it is to complete it (as many of the subtitling work I've seen were done solo). I decided to start up a team of people familiar with fansubbing outside of BW-related content, and opened it up with the goal of providing translated Korean videos to English viewers.


Freelancer:
Why do you think TL has become such a successful community? What advice would you give to other gaming communities in their quests to reach the level that teamliquid has achieved?

GTR:
I think it is a combination of dedicated and talented staff, and a strong community bonded together by passion for the game we enjoy. I know it might sound cliche, but I think that is it.

Before R1CH and HB moved into the TL HQ, no one on staff was being compensated for their work, it was all purely voluntary. We were all that dedicated to BW that we were able to turn the site into what it is today, and transition into SC2.

I won't also forget to mention the community behind the game. You will go into forums for games like WoW or CS, and most of the time, it is just idiots trolling. Here on Teamliquid, we've already established the iron fist of moderation, and users have heeded to it. On the brighter side of things, the quality of contributions that members make is what brings people back. A combination of these two is what makes the community so great.

My advice to any start-up gaming communities is to stick to your philosophy and take your user base for granted. Teamliquid was for the community, and we've stuck by it since its launch. Look how successful we've become. Whatever users you may get, treat them well. If they are clearly trolls, weed them out. It may take a long time, but if your website does the work, it will get out there.


Freelancer:
Your heavily involved with broodwar (streaming OSL/MSL/PL) despite the release of SC2, why is this so? Do you think you will ever transition to sc2 in the future?

GTR:
To be completely honest, I think SC2 just doesn't have that 'spectator pull' (don't really know how to term it) that Korean BW has. IMO, GOM has pretty shoddy production (compared to what the cable channels do), and sometimes at the point of cringe worthy. The quality of games aren't that spectacular either. The only reason I watch GOM is because of the humour Artosis and Tasteless provide during their casts. Most of the time, I could care less of the games. I watch foreign SC2 tournaments when there aren't any BW games on and I don't have anything else to do.

The bottom line is, BW has storylines, industry and production values which make me come back to it. SC2 doesn't have that (just yet).
I do play SC2, but these days I don't really have any motivation to play it for prolonged periods of time. Any 'transition' will be quite easy for me, whenever that may occur.


Freelancer:
Ten years ago, I don't think anyone would perceive TL to become what it is today. How do you see TL in another ten years time?

GTR:
It highly depends on how SC2 develops. If it goes big, like we all hope it would, I'd imagine we'd be the ESPN of ESPORTS. The 'go-to' of everything SC2. If the hype fades out, I guess we'd just go back to our roots and deliver the same, quality content that we've always provided. Either way, we will NOT sell out, and never will.


Freelancer:
If you could live the life of any progamer for one day. Who would you be?

GTR:
Hmm, probably Bisu. Lots of connections to famous people in Korea, which means connections to the idol girls . Adding to that, I have looks... although if I were Bisu, I'd have to get over my weird shyness that I've established onto myself.

- We know your "everything SC1" But do you follow any particular SC2 progamers these days?

I enjoy watching the old BW legends play (Boxer, Nada, July etc, but mostly Nada). Besides that, the only SC2 progamer I truly care about is Jinro, because we go way back. I think that's about it.


Freelancer:
What do you think of the way mods present the community through their warns/bans in teamliquid.net? Do you think the bar should be raised even more?

GTR:
It's fine. Each moderator has their own unique personality, and we shouldn't be bounded by arbitrary rules. At the moment, personally, I think the bar is lower than it should be. There are still some shockingly awful posts/posters in the SC2 forum that I think should be removed.

Freelancer:
Who in the TL Staff do you feel is the unsung hero of behind-the-scenes work and moderation?

Behind-the-scenes: R1CH
Moderation: Manifesto7

Starting with R1CH, I am for certain we would not be where we are today if it weren't for him. He has helped us SO MUCH with projects that require video streaming, like the TSL etc. Adding to this, he is the backbone of the site, fixing it when required. As we all say on staff, he is pretty much a wizard that can do anything (technical wise).

For Mani, he was the originator of the 'iron fist' style of moderation (which is why he has his icon). Also, he was the one who got me on staff, so I might be a bit biased here


Freelancer:
Is there any exciting new venues you guys might have been tossing around that TL might think about executing in the future as new expansions and other games come out?

GTR:
Can't really comment on that sorry, discussion of that stuff occurs in the Muffin Factory.


Freelancer:
A fun question to end things, If the world broke out in a zombie apocalypse, and you could choose one person in the teamliquid community to take charge of the remaining survivors of humanity, who would it be and why? Our lives depend on it GTR.

GTR:
R1CH, he's a fucking real-life wizard. That's why.


Freelancer:
Haha, Thanks for your time GTR, is there anyone you'd like to give a shoutout to?

GTR:
Just the 'KPF Crew', you know who you are.

__________________________________________________________________

We'd Like to thank GTR and TL for allowing us this fun interview for his fans. In a week or two we'll post our interview with Complexity's Ryan.Rushia Stay Tuned!

Thanks for reading. Our previous interview with qxc can be found here.
www.teamlegacy.net | MMO junkies
Clearout
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway1060 Posts
June 12 2011 23:24 GMT
#2
Nice interview, always entertaining reading interviews with TL staff
really?
Warpath
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada1242 Posts
June 12 2011 23:35 GMT
#3
What I've always wanted to know.... does GTR stand for anything?
JWD
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States12607 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-12 23:42:03
June 12 2011 23:39 GMT
#4
Hi GTR! I like what you said about taking our userbase for granted. I agree TL has thrived on the philosophy that staff should focus on good content and features, and an awesome userbase will follow naturally from that focus. Example: your translation work.

We'll make a SC2 fan of you yet

Thanks for doing this interview irninja. Fun read.
✌
King[Neikos]
Profile Joined September 2010
Costa Rica506 Posts
June 12 2011 23:45 GMT
#5
Thx for this, was a nice interview.
SaYyId
Profile Joined August 2010
Portugal277 Posts
June 13 2011 00:35 GMT
#6
When was this interview conducted?
Anyways, nice article.
No Strings. No attachments.
irninja
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States1220 Posts
June 13 2011 01:03 GMT
#7
On June 13 2011 09:35 SaYyId wrote:
When was this interview conducted?
Anyways, nice article.

A couple of weeks ago. And Thanks.
www.teamlegacy.net | MMO junkies
Tatari
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States1179 Posts
June 13 2011 01:11 GMT
#8
I think I read somewhere that GTR was GeT_RighT from CS? Is this true?
A fed jungler is no longer a jungler, but a terrorist.
Greatness
Profile Joined May 2011
United States450 Posts
June 13 2011 01:26 GMT
#9
"Either way, we will NOT sell out, and never will."

Where'd I hear that from before?? Hmmmm
DivinO
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States4796 Posts
June 13 2011 01:42 GMT
#10
On June 13 2011 10:26 Greatness wrote:
"Either way, we will NOT sell out, and never will."

Where'd I hear that from before?? Hmmmm


Everywhere. But look at TL now and be happy for what we have.

Also. Doesn't GTR mean "don't take the fanbase for granted?"
LiquipediaBrain in my filth.
Greatness
Profile Joined May 2011
United States450 Posts
June 13 2011 01:46 GMT
#11
On June 13 2011 10:42 DivinO wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 13 2011 10:26 Greatness wrote:
"Either way, we will NOT sell out, and never will."

Where'd I hear that from before?? Hmmmm


Everywhere. But look at TL now and be happy for what we have.

Also. Doesn't GTR mean "don't take the fanbase for granted?"

Was making a joke at the RootGaming fiasco.
dukethegold
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada5645 Posts
June 13 2011 02:22 GMT
#12
LOL, the GTR version of Bisu may very well be a hybrid between Bisu and FBH.
Troxior
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States168 Posts
June 13 2011 02:34 GMT
#13
I LOVE YOU GTR! <3
But more like I love you streaming proleague as well, good interview.
Frotoss fan!
irninja
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States1220 Posts
June 13 2011 03:57 GMT
#14
It may have been a typo, but either way I dont think to "take something for granted" is necessarily a bad thing in this context. Who knows. I wouldn't put too much on it. Hes a cool guy.
www.teamlegacy.net | MMO junkies
OopsOopsBaby
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Singapore3425 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-13 04:12:15
June 13 2011 04:09 GMT
#15
Freelancer:
Haha, Thanks for your time GTR, is there anyone you'd like to give a shoutout to?

GTR:
Just the 'KPF Crew', you know who you are.

LOL When the fuck did this happened?

s3x2-2 xiao3x2+2 bone3+2+2
lokiM
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States3407 Posts
July 01 2011 14:51 GMT
#16
gtr = noob
You can't fight the feeling.
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51698 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-01 14:54:55
July 01 2011 14:54 GMT
#17
On June 13 2011 12:57 irninja wrote:
It may have been a typo, but either way I dont think to "take something for granted" is necessarily a bad thing in this context. Who knows. I wouldn't put too much on it. Hes a cool guy.


Yeh, it was an oddly worded response from myself, so I'll take the brunt of the blame for that (I clearly could have rephrased it better).
Was wondering when this would be published, and I guess I'm a couple of weeks late ;D
Commentator
Ixas
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
930 Posts
July 01 2011 15:01 GMT
#18
GTR ~<3
XOXO~
Ixas.parkjiyeon.net
zul
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Germany5427 Posts
July 01 2011 15:16 GMT
#19
GTR = the man with the 3rd coolest icon on tl.net. (rekrul has the coolest and nazguls is 2nd ^______^) I like his answers, especially the ones about the community.
keep it deep! @zulison
Euronyme
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden3804 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-01 15:19:00
July 01 2011 15:17 GMT
#20
Nice read!
Many hearts ♥
Huge respect to all TL admins. I love the work you have and still do put into the site. This is the first single website I've actually spent considerable amount of time in
I bet i can maı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨̨̨̨̨̨ke you wipe your screen.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
01:00
Patch Clash Monthly #2
RotterdaM775
TKL 262
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 775
ByuN 334
mouzHeroMarine 269
TKL 262
UpATreeSC 74
BRAT_OK 46
MindelVK 15
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17697
Calm 2957
Shuttle 972
Horang2 448
Dewaltoss 162
Rush 83
Zeus 52
Free 36
Trap 23
ToSsGirL 19
[ Show more ]
scan(afreeca) 19
Rock 17
Bale 17
PianO 16
Aegong 15
Sacsri 8
Noble 6
Dota 2
Dendi1200
LuMiX0
League of Legends
KnowMe53
Counter-Strike
fl0m4244
pashabiceps1087
Fnx 626
x6flipin510
edward39
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King81
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu68
Other Games
Grubby2145
singsing1906
Liquid`RaSZi1614
Beastyqt714
C9.Mang0315
B2W.Neo307
crisheroes252
IndyStarCraft 175
dupreeh165
420jenkins158
QueenE110
Trikslyr90
JuggernautJason13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream25
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH291
• EnkiAlexander 25
• Hinosc 15
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV568
League of Legends
• Nemesis3239
• TFBlade635
Other Games
• Shiphtur817
• imaqtpie603
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
15h 59m
INu's Battles
16h 59m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
18h 59m
OSC
1d 4h
Replay Cast
1d 4h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.