• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:18
CEST 11:18
KST 18:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7587 users

Starcraft 2 No longer going on top of Start Bar

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
MurderMan
Profile Joined August 2010
United States47 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-25 06:18:42
January 25 2011 06:18 GMT
#1
I am playing Starcraft 2 and ever since the most recent patch, if I play starcraft 2 in full screen windowed mode, I can't get the start bar to disappear anymore. This is especially frustrating since I can't scroll downwards anymore while playing in this mode.

Here is a screenshot of the issue:
http://i56.tinypic.com/6nv3ap.jpg

I basically can't play starcraft anymore. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? I'd prefer not to remove my start bar or change it to autohide. I want it back like it used to be, when starcraft 2 was my active window, it was above the start bar. Does anyone know how to solve this issue?
ReketSomething
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States6012 Posts
January 25 2011 06:23 GMT
#2
Perhaps start bar always on top became somehow checked? Not sure though, that would be what my guess would be.

good luck!
Jaedong :3
Boblhead
Profile Joined August 2010
United States2577 Posts
January 25 2011 06:31 GMT
#3
simply just have the bar on autohide if it messes with you, or try and alt tab.
MurderMan
Profile Joined August 2010
United States47 Posts
January 25 2011 06:38 GMT
#4
I've tried alt tabbing and there's no feature that puts start bar always on top.

I'd prefer not to hide the task bar because the autohide feature annoys me when I get messages in skype and it doesn't blink at me b/c it's hidden. I wouldn't want to put autohide on just for starcraft.
AyameStarcraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United Kingdom192 Posts
January 25 2011 06:56 GMT
#5
What's wrong with leaving it fullscreen non windowed? Does that remove the issue? I'll do a google trip later and if noone has answered by then I'll post my findings
// ᴵᴹᴍᴠᴘ \\
MurderMan
Profile Joined August 2010
United States47 Posts
January 25 2011 07:07 GMT
#6
On January 25 2011 15:56 AyameStarcraft wrote:
What's wrong with leaving it fullscreen non windowed? Does that remove the issue? I'll do a google trip later and if noone has answered by then I'll post my findings


Full screen non-windowed causes massive lag issues when I alt tab. Since it reloads the graphics and causes black flashes as it transitions in and out of the sc2 window.
MurderMan
Profile Joined August 2010
United States47 Posts
January 26 2011 17:18 GMT
#7
anyone have any idea how to fix this yet?
timestep
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada73 Posts
January 26 2011 17:29 GMT
#8
I'm pretty sure thats the ways its supposed to be.

It's in windowed mode so the start bar will show up.
The only way to rectify it would be to go full screen.

Sorry but its that or a clean reinstall or sc2.
"whoop whoop whoop whoop" - Dr. Zoidberg
Stropheum
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1124 Posts
January 26 2011 19:03 GMT
#9
Have you tried changing the sc2 settings to full screened then back to windowed full screen?
Might just be a glitch where the SC2 interface isn't recognizing the bar for whatever reason. Reapplying the settings might fix it.
vicariouscheese
Profile Joined June 2010
United States589 Posts
January 26 2011 19:03 GMT
#10
On January 27 2011 02:29 timestep wrote:
I'm pretty sure thats the ways its supposed to be.

It's in windowed mode so the start bar will show up.
The only way to rectify it would be to go full screen.

Sorry but its that or a clean reinstall or sc2.


if you watch any of the tons of sc2 streams, there are many players who play fullscreen windowed, and this is not an issue.
blue`
Profile Joined November 2010
United Kingdom119 Posts
January 26 2011 19:05 GMT
#11
Try unlocking it and dragging it to the side, then back to the bottom and locking it again. Aside from that I can't seem to recreate the issue
Easter has been cancelled, they found the body
GoldenH
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
1115 Posts
January 26 2011 19:39 GMT
#12
This tends to happen when you have a program blinking or something in the system tray demanding attention. My suggestion is to close everything possible before starting Starcraft 2.
"(Dudes are) not going to say "Buy this game — I cried at the end". (...) I suppose the secret is to find a game that makes you shoot eight million fuckin' dudes and then cry about how awesome it is to shoot eight million fuckin' dudes." - Tim Rogers
Dugrok
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada377 Posts
January 26 2011 19:43 GMT
#13
On January 25 2011 15:38 MurderMan wrote:
I've tried alt tabbing and there's no feature that puts start bar always on top.

I'd prefer not to hide the task bar because the autohide feature annoys me when I get messages in skype and it doesn't blink at me b/c it's hidden. I wouldn't want to put autohide on just for starcraft.


There's no feature for SC, but there is a feature for Windows. Just making sure, because the suggested wasn't entirely clear. That said, mine is enabled and when I run SC, everything works normally. /shrug
MurderMan
Profile Joined August 2010
United States47 Posts
January 26 2011 21:08 GMT
#14
Perhaps start bar always on top became somehow checked? Not sure though, that would be what my guess would be.


I did some research and found out that this feature was removed in windows 7.

Have you tried changing the sc2 settings to full screened then back to windowed full screen?


Tried it, doesn't work.

This tends to happen when you have a program blinking or something in the system tray demanding attention. My suggestion is to close everything possible before starting Starcraft 2.


Unfortunately, this does not work either.

Try unlocking it and dragging it to the side, then back to the bottom and locking it again. Aside from that I can't seem to recreate the issue


This did not work either, although it had an interesting effect. When I have the task bar on the left right or top panes, when I try to move my mouse to it, it won't let me move my mouse onto the start bar, which somewhat solves the issue of being unable to scroll, however putting it on those panes (left, right, or top) pushes the SC2 window down, left, or right causing the window to extend beyond the area of my screen. Which puts part of my SC2 window off the screen, causing other issues.

I have no idea how all of this happened... It's so frustrating! I'm not sure how to solve this issue and blizzard won't respond in their forums...
GoldenH
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
1115 Posts
January 27 2011 07:17 GMT
#15
last ditch is to force close explorer.exe from task manager while running sc2. Its a more drastic version of autohide. You could also just resize the task bar to its minimum size, but then you can't scroll in that direction.
"(Dudes are) not going to say "Buy this game — I cried at the end". (...) I suppose the secret is to find a game that makes you shoot eight million fuckin' dudes and then cry about how awesome it is to shoot eight million fuckin' dudes." - Tim Rogers
Paradice
Profile Joined October 2010
New Zealand431 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-27 08:16:38
January 27 2011 08:12 GMT
#16
A bit of googling says others have linked the "DPI Settings" Windows setting to this bug appearing in other fullscreen-windowed games, so try tweaking that?

Or else it's not a bug, Windows is trying to tell you something. The notification area is much larger than Windows 7 shows by default - maybe one of those icons actually wants attention (the one with the exclamation point?)

When an app sets Windowed mode, it's telling windows "hey it's ok to interrupt me and share video resources" which is the key difference between that and true fullscreen mode...
MurderMan
Profile Joined August 2010
United States47 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-27 20:31:19
January 27 2011 19:43 GMT
#17
last ditch is to force close explorer.exe from task manager while running sc2. Its a more drastic version of autohide. You could also just resize the task bar to its minimum size, but then you can't scroll in that direction.


Tried it, doesn't work. It still won't scroll...

A bit of googling says others have linked the "DPI Settings" Windows setting to this bug appearing in other fullscreen-windowed games, so try tweaking that?


How do I change those settings?

Or else it's not a bug, Windows is trying to tell you something. The notification area is much larger than Windows 7 shows by default - maybe one of those icons actually wants attention (the one with the exclamation point?)


I actually did that already, I updated my windows and downloaded all of those updates (from the exclamation point) and it's still not working
MurderMan
Profile Joined August 2010
United States47 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-31 17:49:40
January 29 2011 18:09 GMT
#18
Any idea what to do?
MurderMan
Profile Joined August 2010
United States47 Posts
January 31 2011 17:49 GMT
#19
Bump
MurderMan
Profile Joined August 2010
United States47 Posts
February 01 2011 23:56 GMT
#20
Any more solutions?
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 42m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Zeus 409
Horang2 229
Larva 217
EffOrt 120
Mind 64
Hyun 61
Killer 46
scan(afreeca) 41
NotJumperer 39
Bale 38
[ Show more ]
Sharp 30
sorry 17
Hm[arnc] 16
Shinee 16
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto101
League of Legends
JimRising 435
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1157
edward93
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King112
Other Games
summit1g8013
Coldzera 687
ceh9636
Happy363
crisheroes190
Sick172
dupreeh55
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick580
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2275
League of Legends
• Jankos1062
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
42m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1h 42m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
14h 42m
Patches Events
1d 6h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.