• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:43
CEST 00:43
KST 07:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War655.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 547 Temple Of Terror Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Ziemie's Starcraft 1 Prequel Campaign Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12708 users

The five-year-long WTL is about to come to its end

Forum Index > SC2 General
30 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 Next All
SCBOY Forum post: https://www.scboy.cc/?thread-694301.htm
lepricon1992
Profile Joined July 2019
105 Posts
November 11 2024 03:30 GMT
#1
"We are very likely not going to hold another WTL next year", said SCBoy.Xiaose, the organizer of this team league that has lasted for five years, during his livestream yesterday.

WTL, known as the World Team League, evolved from the China Team Championship in 2019, is currently the only remaining StarCraft II league in the world held in a team format since the korean SPL ceased operations.

However, with the introduction of EWC by Saudi organizers, which offers a prize pool of $7 million for team competetion, many top tier esports teams have begun signing one or two StarCraft II players to compete for the StarCraft II division points. This move has somewhat revived the dwindling popularity of StarCraft II but has also presented a challenge for WTL. The WTL format, adapted from SPL, requires each team to have at least three players. However, the teams participating in EWC usually sign only one or two players, as only top players are likely to earn points for them. Suddenly, WTL found it increasingly difficult to gather enough professional teams to compete.

To address this, WTL introduced a rule last season, allowing teams to partner up for joint participation, hoping to expand the tournament's scale. However, with players continue retiring and fewer non-elite players remaining, the regular season, which typically lasts 2 to 3months, became less significant, and there were growing criticisms in the Chinese community about WTL's diminishing appeal.

Additionally, after the conclusion of EWC this summer, ESL, reportedly due to issues involving authorization with Blizzard, has yet to announce its plans for the coming year. This delay has resulted in the longest gap without events in StarCraft II history, leaving organizers, including WTL's, struggling to plan for the next year without a clear annual roadmap from ESL.

Ultimately, with these factors combined, SCBoy decided to discontinue WTL. However, Xiaose assured during the livestream that the budget initially set aside for WTL would still be directed toward tornaments, with plans to organize one or two top-tier offline individual events in China next year. This decision was encouraged by the positive reception and anticipation generated by the offline StarWars 11 event in the Chinese community this year.
Facebook Twitter Reddit
digmouse
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
China6332 Posts
November 11 2024 05:22 GMT
#2
Last season was already an indication of things to come. The disruption of EWC rules made the whole team scene too fractured to sustain itself.
TranslatorIf you want to ask anything about Chinese esports, send me a PM or follow me @nerddigmouse.
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10383 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-11-11 09:01:09
November 11 2024 08:59 GMT
#3
Wow, rare that we get an indepth breakdown of all the factors and decision making.

Also, sounds like big news (compared to the little we know) that it's reported ESL is having issues authorizing with Blizzard. So they want to continue it, but might be encountering some challenges? Interesting..

Also, sad to see a team league go, but as someone who never got to follow WTL too well, and seeing StarWars 11 seem to do quite well (considering it's the first one in a while, basically a reboot), I think it's not a bad idea at all to pursue the StarWars format. Perhaps its success will be even greater than last time, and if they can attract sponsors then it could potentially become a stable tournament series that has 1-2 events each year.

I would really like to see the Chinese scene continue, with players like Oliveira and in the recent year Firefly also showing a lot of potential to compete with the best. It is a lot of "new blood" compared to the same old GSL players we've been seeing play for the last decade.
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
Harris1st
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany7424 Posts
November 11 2024 09:04 GMT
#4
WTL was really cool but if the effort and money goes to one or two big banger tournaments I am very happy :D
Go Serral! GG EZ for Ence. Flashbang dance FTW
Nakajin
Profile Blog Joined September 2014
Canada8991 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-11-11 11:10:49
November 11 2024 11:10 GMT
#5
Noooooooooo

I was afraid it would be happening, I hate the Saudi so much right now. Killing the best Starcraft 2 competition on top of everything...

I'll write the league a proper eulogy later, but I can just say it was the best of time.
Writerhttp://i.imgur.com/9p6ufcB.jpg
lepricon1992
Profile Joined July 2019
105 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-11-11 11:37:05
November 11 2024 11:36 GMT
#6
On November 11 2024 20:10 Nakajin wrote:
Noooooooooo

I was afraid it would be happening, I hate the Saudi so much right now. Killing the best Starcraft 2 competition on top of everything...

I'll write the league a proper eulogy later, but I can just say it was the best of time.



Indeed, the Chinese community has experienced the exact same feelings as you over the past day. But hey, WTL may be gone, but StarCraft II endures.

Nakajin, we all remember you, Waxangel, and the folks at TL.net for the passion you showed for WTL and everything you wrote about it in the past 5 years.

Will see you in the next chapter—with heartfelt gratitude from the Chinese community.
Wardi
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
England898 Posts
November 11 2024 12:40 GMT
#7
What a great event that gave so many good games over the last few years.
CommentatorOwner of WardiTV. Streamer, caster & event organizer. / / www.wardi.tv
Balnazza
Profile Joined January 2018
Germany1367 Posts
November 11 2024 15:36 GMT
#8
WTL felt like the absolute backbone in recent years of the scene. Yes, EPT brings in the money, but WTL is what fills the gaps between the tournaments. Plus teamleagues are always more fun than solo tournaments IMHO.

Kinda ironic that the "saudi team" Team Falcons even would have a legit team to play WTL right now ._.
Questionable what will happen to Team Liquid and especially BASILISK. Can imagine Liquid might downsize a bit, while Serral and Reynor might try to look for a bigger team for EWC :/
"Wenn die Zauberin runter geht, dann macht sie die Beine breit" - Khaldor, trying to cast WC3 German-only
TL+ Member
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27464 Posts
November 11 2024 17:20 GMT
#9
On November 11 2024 20:10 Nakajin wrote:
Noooooooooo

I was afraid it would be happening, I hate the Saudi so much right now. Killing the best Starcraft 2 competition on top of everything...

I'll write the league a proper eulogy later, but I can just say it was the best of time.

Well that fucking sucks, albeit I said it at the time as well.

EWC was never about the wider SC2 scene’s health. Never has been, never will be

People cheerleading it aren’t just ignoring certain moral quandaries, they’re ignoring that as well.

'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Diplomat
Profile Joined January 2011
United States45 Posts
November 11 2024 18:26 GMT
#10
Team competitions have always been my favorite aspect of BW/SC2. Really sad to see the WTL end.
Xamo
Profile Joined April 2012
Spain886 Posts
November 11 2024 19:46 GMT
#11
Sad news, WTL delivered many great games.
My life for Aiur. You got a piece of me, baby. IIIIIIiiiiiii.
lechatnoir
Profile Joined November 2016
392 Posts
November 11 2024 20:45 GMT
#12
Well that sucks major ass.

Cheers to the memories, it was a good run!
Antithesis
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany1273 Posts
November 11 2024 22:34 GMT
#13
Sad news. But I'm happy to hear that there will be one or two offline tournaments in place of the team league.

Thanks to the SCBoy team for the great run and continued events!
Mutation complete.
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33707 Posts
November 12 2024 00:01 GMT
#14
It's such a shame that it came to an end, but you could see the signs ever since EWC disrupted the scene.

I do hope that some level of team competition keeps going; maybe in the style of clar wars from the old War3 days.
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27464 Posts
November 12 2024 00:18 GMT
#15
On November 11 2024 20:10 Nakajin wrote:
Noooooooooo

I was afraid it would be happening, I hate the Saudi so much right now. Killing the best Starcraft 2 competition on top of everything...

I'll write the league a proper eulogy later, but I can just say it was the best of time.

I could barely ever follow the league live, and really relied on your sterling efforts on previews/reviews to keep on top of it. If others did a few, also props

Many thanks for that sir!
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Nakajin
Profile Blog Joined September 2014
Canada8991 Posts
November 12 2024 02:54 GMT
#16
On November 12 2024 09:18 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2024 20:10 Nakajin wrote:
Noooooooooo

I was afraid it would be happening, I hate the Saudi so much right now. Killing the best Starcraft 2 competition on top of everything...

I'll write the league a proper eulogy later, but I can just say it was the best of time.

I could barely ever follow the league live, and really relied on your sterling efforts on previews/reviews to keep on top of it. If others did a few, also props

Many thanks for that sir!


Thanks, I'm glad you liked it
TheOneAboveU deserves a lot of praise, he's the one who started the week-in-week-out coverage of the league, I just picked it up when he had to stop.


Also, as a side note, I was planning to do a Balance Council/conspiracy machination spoof for the next WTL qualifier. I can't believe so much silly drama will go unused now.
Writerhttp://i.imgur.com/9p6ufcB.jpg
Mizenhauer
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
United States1968 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-11-12 10:24:19
November 12 2024 10:23 GMT
#17
On November 12 2024 11:54 Nakajin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 12 2024 09:18 WombaT wrote:
On November 11 2024 20:10 Nakajin wrote:
Noooooooooo

I was afraid it would be happening, I hate the Saudi so much right now. Killing the best Starcraft 2 competition on top of everything...

I'll write the league a proper eulogy later, but I can just say it was the best of time.

I could barely ever follow the league live, and really relied on your sterling efforts on previews/reviews to keep on top of it. If others did a few, also props

Many thanks for that sir!


Thanks, I'm glad you liked it
TheOneAboveU deserves a lot of praise, he's the one who started the week-in-week-out coverage of the league, I just picked it up when he had to stop.


Also, as a side note, I was planning to do a Balance Council/conspiracy machination spoof for the next WTL qualifier. I can't believe so much silly drama will go unused now.


Marco is GOATED. I'm glad you could pick it up after him and make it your own.
┗|∵|┓Second Place in LB 28, Third Place in LB 29 and Destined to Be a Kong
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18464 Posts
November 13 2024 00:36 GMT
#18
So much for Microsoft being good for SC2. Problems with authorization just seems like such a bullshit excuse, when the Blizzard-China deal problems were solved years ago. The answer from Microsoft to "do you allow us to continue running this awesome team tournament with sponsors" should be an immediate and resounding yes.

The other problems are clear, of course.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27464 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-11-13 01:00:10
November 13 2024 00:58 GMT
#19
On November 13 2024 09:36 Acrofales wrote:
So much for Microsoft being good for SC2. Problems with authorization just seems like such a bullshit excuse, when the Blizzard-China deal problems were solved years ago. The answer from Microsoft to "do you allow us to continue running this awesome team tournament with sponsors" should be an immediate and resounding yes.

The other problems are clear, of course.

I doubt it’s a Microsoft problem

They might not be an improvement, but I doubt they would impede it either. It’s an ESL problem, unless I see evidence to the contrary I don’t see why Microsoft would block them unduly

WTL was ultimately killled by EWC, they said so, it’s obvious just looking at it that EWC disrupted a lot.

I already felt it sometimes hard to really get invested due to roster churn, it became harder still when the EWC basically forced a bunch of partnership teams with no history and that was half the field.

Maybe Microsoft don’t fix these problems, but I also don’t see them actively working on making them worse.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
yubo56
Profile Joined May 2014
690 Posts
November 13 2024 01:14 GMT
#20
On November 12 2024 11:54 Nakajin wrote:

Also, as a side note, I was planning to do a Balance Council/conspiracy machination spoof for the next WTL qualifier. I can't believe so much silly drama will go unused now.

Can you post a blog post? I'd love to see it for one, only if it's not too much work The memes were surely legendary
Jung Yoon Jong fighting, even after retirement! Feel better soon.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #3
ZZZero.O144
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 11291
Artosis 400
White-Ra 183
ZZZero.O 153
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm169
League of Legends
Doublelift4858
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4370
Other Games
summit1g9375
FrodaN2611
Liquid`RaSZi1949
ToD287
C9.Mang0279
Livibee194
Pyrionflax117
Maynarde65
Mew2King51
ArmadaUGS43
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1064
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 131
• musti20045 34
• HeavenSC 30
• Sammyuel 26
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1469
• Shiphtur628
• Scarra379
Upcoming Events
OSC
17m
Replay Cast
17m
OSC
13h 17m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 12h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.