• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:00
CEST 07:00
KST 14:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6089 users

Pay to Play? - Page 4

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 11 Next All
Ganfei1
Profile Joined January 2007
China667 Posts
May 23 2007 17:10 GMT
#61
Depends on the c o s t $$
She prayed for me because she believed I was blind to sin, wanting me to kneel and pray too, because people to whom sin is just a matter of words, to them salvation is just words too.
FatRine
Profile Joined May 2007
406 Posts
May 23 2007 19:41 GMT
#62
id pay like 10bux a year tops, and thats if they offer TONS of good features.

L!MP
Profile Joined March 2003
Australia2067 Posts
May 23 2007 20:23 GMT
#63
it's an RTS. has any RTS in the history of gaming been p2p? no? then gtfo with these dumbass threads.
NotSorry
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States6722 Posts
May 25 2007 05:18 GMT
#64
I won't be happy about it, but I'll still pay a monthly fee if thats what it comes down to.
We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men. - Orwell
Krohm
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Canada1857 Posts
May 25 2007 05:36 GMT
#65
On May 25 2007 14:18 NotSorry wrote:
I won't be happy about it, but I'll still pay a monthly fee if thats what it comes down to.

Same, however it would reduce hackers, immature little kids, and black people (JOKING! ROFL)

The only problem is it would greatly reduce the player amount. Before I had a credit card, I had to go through alot of hassle to pay for shit over the internet. I'm sure other people have to. Its just to much hassle and not worth the time usually...
Not bad for a cat toy.
semioldguy
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States7488 Posts
May 25 2007 05:54 GMT
#66
On May 24 2007 02:08 intotherainx wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 23 2007 13:02 semioldguy wrote:
On May 21 2007 23:47 ChApFoU wrote:
On May 21 2007 18:39 semioldguy wrote:
Actually paying to play might increase my chances of playing, it means less immature people most likely. Most people who complain about these relatively small monthly fees are the people without jobs and people I generally don't like anyway.

okay, maybe not increase, but it wouldn't stop me. And there is always LAN.


Yeah because in WoW you have a lot less immature ppl, and how about ppl who can't find a job or teenagers from poor families ? what a bunch of bastards, complaining for getting ripped off 15 bucks a month to play 6 games a week....

Do us a favor, get the fuck out -__-;


Hey, I don't play WoW, back when I did play MMOs quite a few years ago it wasn't rampant with immature people. Apparently that's not true anymore.

I was a teen from a poor family. I've even had to live on the street before. And you can always find a job if you are out there looking hard enough. At sixteen I had found a job and was making more than either of my parents and helped them with bills, and food and such. Even if you're poor, you can still learn to manage a little money each month to have fun or for the ones you care about to have fun. Additionally, from my experience, the ones complaining aren't the ones who make little money, they are the lazy people who can afford it but don't like the idea of having to pay.

I don't have a problem with people who make little or no money, I have a problem with the attitude that usually comes with those people who publicly complain about it. When your dirt poor, you complain among those you live with about money issues, but you don't bring those complaints to other people. So why don't you shut the fuck up until you learn a little more about what you're trying to defend.

edit: it's a very embarassing thing for a teen to be a part of a poor family so why would they want to bring attention to themselves for being poor by complaining about it?


Whoa, I think you took a post way too personally. I don't think he meant it as an attack on poor people or anything... he's just making a simple point... why would anyone want to pay extra money when it can be free? It's easy to see everything as an attack of who you are, but get over it. =/


Did you even read these posts? Clearly he is not attacking poor people, as any idiot could see.

I didn't see it as an attack of "who I was." I am angry because he is defending his position using examples filled with his ignorance, and the sarcasm doesn't help him cause. If he expects a civil response, he should give them himself. "Do us a favor, get the fuck out" seems hostile to me. Why the fuck shuold I be nice to him if he responds to me like that?

Not everything in the world can be free, everything in the world cost something somewhere along the line. If a company is using their resources in providing the service of cracking down on hackers, creating a pleasurable and stable multiplayer gaming environment and other various forms of support for a game; then they have a right to charge a fee for their efforts.

If someone is making money off something they are much more likely to do a better job than if they weren't getting paid for it. And they will want to keep people paying for the service or attract other to the service (depending one one-time or recurring fees) which will also encourage them to keep doing a good job as they don't want to lose people/business.
Moderator
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
May 25 2007 05:58 GMT
#67
Absolutely no way in hell.
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
MyLostTemple *
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States2921 Posts
May 26 2007 03:05 GMT
#68
no, poor people should get to play games too : )
Follow me on twitter: CallMeTasteless
Jonoman92
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States9110 Posts
May 26 2007 03:09 GMT
#69
I doubt they'd even consider making it pay-to-play, they'd get stoned by SC fans eerywhere.
Bub
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States3518 Posts
May 26 2007 03:11 GMT
#70
No way I won't be down for that at all
XK ßubonic
OGROKTEHUBER
Profile Joined May 2007
United States2 Posts
June 01 2007 13:57 GMT
#71
@semioldguy:

Same old bullshit arguments, same old bullshit attitude, same old bullshit "rags to riches" story.

1. Charging $15 a month didn't do shit to stop spoiled little kids from taking over WoW.
2. Ever heard of the product support life cycle? Apparently not. This may come as a surprise to you, but supporting the software you have written is actually a major part of remaining competitive. Or do you honestly think anyone would play (and thus continue to buy copies of) Starcraft if it was filled with exploits and unbeatable unit-massing strategies?
3. I could probably afford to pay a lot more for gas, but I'm not fucking stupid enough to trip over myself in an attempt to get gas companies to raise prices. Funny how the capitalist mindset actually encourages people to look only at the "soundness of the business decision by the company" and ignore the fact that they are getting ripped off.
Liquid`Zephyr
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States996 Posts
June 01 2007 16:36 GMT
#72
i would pay, sc2 will kick ass
i just need a job first to afford it
Team LiquidPoorUser
Zea!
Profile Joined November 2006
9589 Posts
June 01 2007 17:13 GMT
#73
if i have to pay only one time(20$) for ever..ok.But if i have to pay monthly..NO WAY.
The Real Power~
aseq
Profile Joined January 2003
Netherlands4019 Posts
June 01 2007 18:51 GMT
#74
I don't plan on playing sc2 intensively, just play the campaign a couple times and then a few games a week max. Paying for a couple of games now and again probably isn't going to happen...
Manaldski
Profile Joined January 2004
229 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-06-01 19:18:35
June 01 2007 19:12 GMT
#75
...

Given the popularity of “WoW,” do you have any plans to go to subscription model with “StarCraft 2” or any subsequent releases?

We’re going to do what’s right for the game. We made “WoW” to be a subscription game from the very beginning. With “StarCraft 2” it’s probably going to follow more of a box model. But we’ll decide more of that stuff down the line.

the man says it to all of you "Probably its gonna be free" + charging fees and wanting to produce the "ultimate competitive RTS" doesnt go hand by hand. Now wait untill game is near release and then speculate.
Piste
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
6183 Posts
June 01 2007 19:14 GMT
#76
Fuck no, this is bullshit!
ChApFoU
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
France2984 Posts
June 01 2007 19:20 GMT
#77
On May 25 2007 14:54 semioldguy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 24 2007 02:08 intotherainx wrote:
On May 23 2007 13:02 semioldguy wrote:
On May 21 2007 23:47 ChApFoU wrote:
On May 21 2007 18:39 semioldguy wrote:
Actually paying to play might increase my chances of playing, it means less immature people most likely. Most people who complain about these relatively small monthly fees are the people without jobs and people I generally don't like anyway.

okay, maybe not increase, but it wouldn't stop me. And there is always LAN.


Yeah because in WoW you have a lot less immature ppl, and how about ppl who can't find a job or teenagers from poor families ? what a bunch of bastards, complaining for getting ripped off 15 bucks a month to play 6 games a week....

Do us a favor, get the fuck out -__-;


Hey, I don't play WoW, back when I did play MMOs quite a few years ago it wasn't rampant with immature people. Apparently that's not true anymore.

I was a teen from a poor family. I've even had to live on the street before. And you can always find a job if you are out there looking hard enough. At sixteen I had found a job and was making more than either of my parents and helped them with bills, and food and such. Even if you're poor, you can still learn to manage a little money each month to have fun or for the ones you care about to have fun. Additionally, from my experience, the ones complaining aren't the ones who make little money, they are the lazy people who can afford it but don't like the idea of having to pay.

I don't have a problem with people who make little or no money, I have a problem with the attitude that usually comes with those people who publicly complain about it. When your dirt poor, you complain among those you live with about money issues, but you don't bring those complaints to other people. So why don't you shut the fuck up until you learn a little more about what you're trying to defend.

edit: it's a very embarassing thing for a teen to be a part of a poor family so why would they want to bring attention to themselves for being poor by complaining about it?


Whoa, I think you took a post way too personally. I don't think he meant it as an attack on poor people or anything... he's just making a simple point... why would anyone want to pay extra money when it can be free? It's easy to see everything as an attack of who you are, but get over it. =/


Did you even read these posts? Clearly he is not attacking poor people, as any idiot could see.

I didn't see it as an attack of "who I was." I am angry because he is defending his position using examples filled with his ignorance, and the sarcasm doesn't help him cause. If he expects a civil response, he should give them himself. "Do us a favor, get the fuck out" seems hostile to me. Why the fuck shuold I be nice to him if he responds to me like that?

Not everything in the world can be free, everything in the world cost something somewhere along the line. If a company is using their resources in providing the service of cracking down on hackers, creating a pleasurable and stable multiplayer gaming environment and other various forms of support for a game; then they have a right to charge a fee for their efforts.

If someone is making money off something they are much more likely to do a better job than if they weren't getting paid for it. And they will want to keep people paying for the service or attract other to the service (depending one one-time or recurring fees) which will also encourage them to keep doing a good job as they don't want to lose people/business.


Stop this bullshit dude, Blizzard is making loads of money from these games and they will sell millions of copies of SC2 no matter what.

That wasn't a personal attack but I still think saying "Most people who complain about these relatively small monthly fees are the people without jobs and people I generally don't like anyway" is utterly retarded. Guess what there's a whole big world outside of the united states, places where sometimes you cannot get a job even when you look hard enough and where wages are incredibly low.

There are ppl who are in difficult situations and who are not complaining ad blaming others, these ppl have the right to entertain just as we do right ? And it's not always that simple to just go around the streets and ask for a job. And what about youngsters who want to focus on school ? you are calling me ignorant but you look very narrow minded.

So I'm asking you, what do we have to gain with monthly fees ? Absolutely nothing, and people who are low on money have everything to loose, chinese, russians ppl form eastern europe.

I know I wasn't very mannered with my response sry about that, but I still completely disagree with you and I still think you sounded like a asshole in that first post :/
"I honestly think that whoever invented toilet paper in a genius" Kang Min
ChApFoU
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
France2984 Posts
June 01 2007 19:25 GMT
#78
On a sidenote I think it would a major commercial mistake form blizzard to make SC2 P2P. Ppl are willing to accept it for an MMORPG because most of them aren't free and they require huge maintenance. But all RTS have been free as it has been pointed out and I think it would turn a lot of ppl away from SC2 if it was pay to play.
"I honestly think that whoever invented toilet paper in a genius" Kang Min
LastWish
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
2015 Posts
June 01 2007 20:07 GMT
#79
If you think about it clearly, I isn't possible.

Since you could just use fake b-nets or hamachi to play lan games -> no fee and no one would use the original... also it would encourage people to stick with SC1.
- It's all just treason - They bring me down with their lies - Don't know the reason - My life is fire and ice -
True_Spike
Profile Joined July 2004
Poland3434 Posts
June 01 2007 20:31 GMT
#80
I highly doubt Blizzard is going to make SC2 pay to play. Don't even compare maitanance costs of the entire Battle.net with their World of Warcraft network. WoW simply needs much, much more recources and constant attention, unlike Bnet games. There is just no valid reason to ever introduce a pay to play system in games other than mmo's.

In other words, I wouldn't worry about that. Blizzard knows what it's doing.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft401
RuFF_SC2 194
Nina 89
-ZergGirl 69
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2067
sorry 39
Bale 26
910 17
yabsab 13
ZergMaN 8
Icarus 7
NotJumperer 6
Dota 2
LuMiX1
League of Legends
JimRising 659
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1122
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox784
Other Games
summit1g7971
WinterStarcraft353
C9.Mang0262
Livibee161
Sick129
Maynarde127
ViBE81
ArmadaUGS42
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick683
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream171
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2242
League of Legends
• Stunt405
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
6h
Stellar Fest
8h
The PondCast
1d 5h
OSC
1d 8h
Stellar Fest
1d 8h
OSC
1d 19h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.