• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:36
CEST 14:36
KST 21:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
All you football fans (soccer)! Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8896 users

Lionsgate announces $20,000 NA-only SC2 tournament - Page 7

Forum Index > SC2 General
184 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All
Integra
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Sweden5626 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-03 18:58:40
February 03 2014 18:58 GMT
#121
From a marketing standpoint this is quite strange, and I mean it in a good way.

Lionsgate, a highly successfull movie studio, somehow made the connection that sponsoring a game tournament will give them promotional value. I wonder what the connection is. Maybe they believe more gamers will go watch their movies? Does it have some kind of connection with their recent movies?

I just want to know what their reasoning is and hope more companies does it.
"Dark Pleasure" | | I survived the Locust war of May 3, 2014
Zenbrez
Profile Joined June 2012
Canada5973 Posts
February 03 2014 18:59 GMT
#122
On February 04 2014 01:35 Wombat_NI wrote:
12 invites + 4 fan votes?

Ffs, and people wonder why it takes new blood so long to break through in the NA region?

I don't think anybody doesn't know why.
Refer to my post.
Cheren
Profile Blog Joined September 2013
United States2911 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-03 19:02:11
February 03 2014 19:01 GMT
#123
On February 04 2014 01:35 Wombat_NI wrote:
12 invites + 4 fan votes?

Ffs, and people wonder why it takes new blood so long to break through in the NA region?


Hitman broke through. As long as there are some open tournaments once in a while it's fine.
Yorkie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States12612 Posts
February 03 2014 19:04 GMT
#124
Polt: the true American hero. Pretty sick tournament a little confused why Lionsgate is doing this but extremely happy nonetheless. Maybe I'll go out of my way to watch one of their movies haha
Hwang Kang Hooooooooooo. Follow mah boy Shellshock @Shellshock1122
Jolo
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada70 Posts
February 03 2014 19:07 GMT
#125
Had me sold until I saw destiny is casting.
Guess I'll pass on this one...
Yorkie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States12612 Posts
February 03 2014 19:09 GMT
#126
On February 04 2014 04:07 Jolo wrote:
Had me sold until I saw destiny is casting.
Guess I'll pass on this one...

Did you watch the MLG gameon invitational? I thought his cast with Catz was quite enjoyable, and this is coming form someone who doesn't really enjoy his stream that much
Hwang Kang Hooooooooooo. Follow mah boy Shellshock @Shellshock1122
MasterOfPuppets
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Romania6942 Posts
February 03 2014 19:09 GMT
#127
On February 04 2014 03:59 Zenbrez wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2014 01:35 Wombat_NI wrote:
12 invites + 4 fan votes?

Ffs, and people wonder why it takes new blood so long to break through in the NA region?

I don't think anybody doesn't know why.


See the reason tournaments like this don't do that is because would-be breakout players just wouldn't bring in as many eyeballs, not until they've already broken out. MLG Open Bracket, early group stages of something like DreamHack and IEM's new Dual Tournaments that they put on leading into group stages, these phases never get the same amount of attention and you always see posts like "oh i'm just gonna wait until day 2" or whatever.

I think some people still fail to realize this; yes, open brackets and qualifiers (whether online or offline) are great and we should all strive for that, but the reason they're not as prevalent as they could (and should perhaps) be is because a lot of the more casual viewers simply aren't interested in players they don't know. They're fantastic for new players, not bad for established players (especially if the tournament uses both open bracket/qualifiers *and* invites), but they turn some viewers off, and by extension aren't that great for the tournament as a business and for the company involved in running it.

And this sort of promotional event more than any other was conceived as an invitational with the purpose of attracting as much attention as possible.
"my shaft scares me too" - strenx 2014
KlinKz
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada149 Posts
February 03 2014 19:09 GMT
#128
I understand a lot of people's concern with "invite only" NA tournaments but I think they are missing a point, these players were probably selected to bring in more viewers. The SC2 scene has been dwindling and though I like the introduction of new players that open bracket brings in, let's be serious there are not many new NA players. Especially new players that will instinctively become a star.

If there were an open spot, I suggest a NA-only winner take all style for that spot.
Go Bisons Go!
Jolo
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada70 Posts
February 03 2014 19:11 GMT
#129
On February 04 2014 04:09 Yorkie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2014 04:07 Jolo wrote:
Had me sold until I saw destiny is casting.
Guess I'll pass on this one...

Did you watch the MLG gameon invitational? I thought his cast with Catz was quite enjoyable, and this is coming form someone who doesn't really enjoy his stream that much


I saw bits and pieces but not too much of it. Maybe I'll give it another try
BlackPride
Profile Joined July 2012
United States186 Posts
February 03 2014 19:12 GMT
#130
Holy shit that's so sick! When is the actual event?
I've never waited in line at the DMV [YVNG]
lamprey1
Profile Joined June 2012
Canada919 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-03 19:17:37
February 03 2014 19:16 GMT
#131
this is Avilo's big break!
i wonder if he'll turn on his health bars for this big event?
hidetoaizen
Profile Joined January 2013
Norway460 Posts
February 03 2014 19:18 GMT
#132
this looks amazing, good on Lionsgate :D
Nal_rA | Stork | MKP | ㅇㅅㅌㅅ | Shine | do your best whatever whenever wherever ! - LiquidHerO | I don't know about any other day, but today I'm the champion of the world - SouL_Dear
AlternativeEgo
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden17309 Posts
February 03 2014 19:18 GMT
#133
On February 04 2014 04:09 Yorkie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2014 04:07 Jolo wrote:
Had me sold until I saw destiny is casting.
Guess I'll pass on this one...

Did you watch the MLG gameon invitational? I thought his cast with Catz was quite enjoyable, and this is coming form someone who doesn't really enjoy his stream that much


Yeah it was not so bad but the "Hwat a.." thing got old real fast. I guess I just don't get it.
Mark Munoz looks like Gretorp
MasterOfPuppets
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Romania6942 Posts
February 03 2014 19:18 GMT
#134
On February 04 2014 04:09 KlinKz wrote:
I understand a lot of people's concern with "invite only" NA tournaments but I think they are missing a point, these players were probably selected to bring in more viewers. The SC2 scene has been dwindling and though I like the introduction of new players that open bracket brings in, let's be serious there are not many new NA players. Especially new players that will instinctively become a star.

If there were an open spot, I suggest a NA-only winner take all style for that spot.


I don't necessarily agree with the idea that there are not many new NA players, and you certainly cannot be sure who will become a star. I mean iit still took players like TaeJa, Life, Creator, Squirtle, Leenock quite a while of struggling in the lower tiers of GSL, if they managed to qualify at all, before establishing themselves as top dogs and accomplishing anything. And conversely many players made their entrance with a bang only to fade away completely within half a year if not less.

But you're right on your first point, the reason this is an invitational and the invites are who they are is that Lionsgate wants exposure for their movie.
"my shaft scares me too" - strenx 2014
Pontius Pirate
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
United States1557 Posts
February 03 2014 19:21 GMT
#135
On February 04 2014 04:18 AlternativeEgo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2014 04:09 Yorkie wrote:
On February 04 2014 04:07 Jolo wrote:
Had me sold until I saw destiny is casting.
Guess I'll pass on this one...

Did you watch the MLG gameon invitational? I thought his cast with Catz was quite enjoyable, and this is coming form someone who doesn't really enjoy his stream that much


Yeah it was not so bad but the "Hwat a.." thing got old real fast. I guess I just don't get it.

I think that's the stuff they resort to when they have to censor themselves a bit.
"I had to close the door so my parents wouldn't judge me." - ZombieGrub during the ShitfaceTradeTV stream
SlammerIV
Profile Joined December 2013
United States526 Posts
February 03 2014 19:23 GMT
#136
man I am super exited for this I really enjoyed the previous mlg tournament catz and destiny make a great casting team while I wouldn't want them in every tourney I think they make for a fun change in pace.
happy for scarlett to win another tourney
Pazuzu
Profile Joined July 2011
United States632 Posts
February 03 2014 19:31 GMT
#137
damn this is awesome! cant wait to see the player list too :D
"It is because intuition is sometimes right, that we don't know what to do with it"
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19386 Posts
February 03 2014 19:33 GMT
#138
I immediately thought of the Saw franchise.

All the top NA gamers wake up in a mysterious room attached to a horrific contraption...
"SC2 NA Gamers, this is a test."
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
Bagration
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States18282 Posts
February 03 2014 19:35 GMT
#139
Nice, and lets get Illusion in there! We could use more Terrans!
Team Slayers, Axiom-Acer and Vile forever
Gendo
Profile Joined June 2012
United Kingdom216 Posts
February 03 2014 19:42 GMT
#140
That's weird, a movie studio? what?
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs PercivalLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings153
CranKy Ducklings SOOP44
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko407
ProTech137
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 4793
Jaedong 3004
Leta 1768
actioN 864
EffOrt 743
Horang2 499
Soma 440
BeSt 397
Mini 320
Killer 305
[ Show more ]
Rush 276
Stork 231
Light 148
Barracks 139
Pusan 133
Snow 128
ggaemo 110
Zeus 110
Larva 97
Sea.KH 59
Mong 55
JYJ 54
HiyA 42
hero 41
ToSsGirL 38
Bale 32
Sharp 31
Shinee 24
sorry 20
zelot 18
Sexy 17
Sacsri 12
Aegong 10
JulyZerg 7
Icarus 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5920
Dendi819
XaKoH 495
Counter-Strike
kRYSTAL_74
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes3540
Other Games
gofns39999
singsing1617
olofmeister1473
B2W.Neo688
byalli529
Livibee190
OGKoka 93
ArmadaUGS65
DeMusliM32
Organizations
StarCraft 2
WardiTV317
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream281
Other Games
BasetradeTV215
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV281
League of Legends
• Jankos1659
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
11h 24m
Kung Fu Cup
22h 24m
The PondCast
1d 21h
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.