• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:44
CEST 12:44
KST 19:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202617Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released ASL22 General Discussion BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8686 users

[Interview] MLG Winter Championship Winner MKP

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
storywriter
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia528 Posts
March 28 2012 13:05 GMT
#1
[MLG Winter Champisonship] Champion MarineKing: Looking to win other tournaments too

[image loading]

First, congratulations on your victory. How do you feel?
Honestly, after winning Arena, I kept wondering to myself if there was a possibility of taking the championship too. Just like Arena, my final opponent was the same person and just like last time, I can’t believe I won.

Last year, you came 5th at MLG Orlando and knocked out at Providence. You must have felt something from these experiences. What kind of determinations did you bring to this MLG Championship?
Unlike GSL, MLG has such a tight schedule because there are so many games in such a short time period. The first two experiences helped. I was able to take care of myself properly and my strategies played out according to plan. Since I didn’t know who I was going to play, preparing a lot of builds led to great results.

What kind of chances did you give yourself taking the championship?
Since I was in pool play, I thought If I managed to do well in pool play that I stood a great chance of winning. I gave myself about 50%.

After taking first place in pool play, you advanced to the winner’s round of 4. What did you think before the winner’s bracket began?
I think beating MC gave me a lot of confidence against Protoss. So I had confidence that I could win against Parting. I was confident against other Protoss players but it’s true that against the best of the best like MC and Parting, I was unsure whether I could win. The games played out better than I expected so that gave even more of a boost.

You met DRG in the winner’s bracket. Did you watch his games?
I saw his game against Heart. Watching him crush his opponent with his flowing play was like witnessing the epitome of Zerg play. But, I did my best not to get intimidated. I convinced myself that if can play my own game that I would be able to win.

You met DRG in the winner’s final
It was such a closely won match. With the MLG format, the difference between a win and a loss at this stage is massive. The double elimination format put a lot of pressure on me and when I beat the ever so strong DRG, I became certain that I would take the championship.

What thought did you have going into the championship final?
I was already at an advantage since I beat him in winner’s final. So I was pressured in that I really shouldn’t lose. If I somehow lost, I knew I would regret it and although I beat him at Arena, a loss here would’ve meant that in the end, I lost. So I became determined to win no matter what with the strategies I prepared.

Let’s talk about the games for a bit. You gave up the first set. What was the reason?
It began well. But DRG’s tricky placement broke me. I was angry at myself for giving away the first set too but I just thought to myself that it was a new best of 5 series and calmed myself down. It was even more regrettable to lose the first set because I played so passively.

But you took the third set handily and won the whole thing. Where did this strength come from?
I used strategies that I had saved up for a long time. I thought even the godly DRG would be taken aback if he got hit by unknown strategies multiple times in a row. Set 2 was what’s called the ‘MMA build’. It causes roach production with hellions and then harassing with banshee making the game stable and a rich economy possible. Set 3 was a build that I’ve never lost in practice with. To be honest, I wasn’t confident on Tal Darim Altar. So the build I chose was a blue flame hellion followed by expansion into MMM. It’s not good against mass roach but it simply cannot lose to ling/bling. I was certain DRG would opt for the latter and the counter worked. The last set was a strategy I used in the first game. Playing against a player like DRG who has great muta control on Metalopolis is so difficult. I thought standard macro play would be hard to pull off so relied on a build that hinges very heavily on micro. I feel I was able to come out with a win because I was already ahead.

You are famous for not scouting. Any reason?
Usually in practice, even without any scouting, I can tell what my opponent is doing from subtle cues. It’s a special thing for me so it’s hard to explain.

How much do you practise? Prime is known to not set a practice hour.
That’s true. We don’t have a set hour of practice. Teammates mostly don’t go out of the teamhouse though so they’re basically practising when they are not eating or sleeping. During practice, I always catch all GSL games. If my opponent has a GSL game, I even watch their preliminary games.

This is your first win at a major tournament
Winning such a massive tournament makes me think that I’ve escaped from the Kong line but it’s not a complete escape. It’s a meaningful thing. I haven’t been able to take the GSL so far. I can’t say I didn’t do the same but I don’t think the fans expected too much of me. I will do well not just in this GSL but in subsequent GSLs.

Memorable events at Colombus??
There were fans who gave me gifts. I happened to be hungry at the time and some foreign fans gave me snacks and some gave me t-shirts. I was grateful and moved. I’ve never signed autographs until my arms hurt before. It was hard work but very rewarding. Out of the players, I was impressed by Huk’s skill. People wrote him off as being in a slump after losing in the Up and Down but at MLG, he did the best out of the foreign players. He’s really great.

In the next season of Arena, if you get into ro4, you are guaranteed a place in the championship
It feels funny to say this but at MLG, I am IMMVP. Of course based on how well I am doing at the moment. Even if I don’t go for the win all the time, I think I can do well consistently. I’m a bit pressured by the fact that I have to face DRG again as well as Parting, Huk, Naniwa and all other Protoss players.

MLG Arena and GSL could overlap.
I want to attend both tournaments if at all possible but I’ll know when we get there. If they do overlap, I feel like I should attend GSL.

What’s your reason for not giving up GSL?
GSL is a Korean tournament and the most highly regarded amongst the players. The prize pool is large too. This is the reason.

Difference between GSL and MLG?
It’s the time period. GSL is too long and MLG is short term. GSL is hard for foreign players to enter. They have to stay in Korea just to participate and it’s not possible to attend foreign tournaments at the same time. MLG is easy to attend in that it takes a short amount of time but it’s very physically demanding on the players.
On the other hand, GSL is very well structured and the rules are clear. MLG is so big and like a festical where the audience loves you. This is the best part of attending a tournament for a progamer. There’s one thing about GSL that pales in comparison to MLG. It’s noise cancellation. The booths aren’t very sound proof and the facility is just subpar in general. At MLG, the staff try very hard to take care of the players and the facility is very sound proof. You really can’t hear a single thing from the outside. The gaming environment is fantastic.

You have to participate in the team league as soon as you get back
No reason to worry. There are great cards to play even without me so I think we can win without having me play. If I do need to play, I will showcase the same level of skill as at this MLG and get a lot of kills.

You’ve finally had your first win, now you must want more
Before when I couldn’t win, just one championship was my goal. Holding two trophies in a row at MLG (Arena, championship) has given me the desire to win not just MLG but GSL and IPL and be the best.

Was the Kong dance planned?
It was to celebrate my escape from the Kong line. Since I’ve achieved that I probably won’t do the Kong dance again.

Anything to add?
Lately, my team’s on the rise unlike the year before. Last year, the team didn’t do well enough considering effort the coach put in.
It must’ve been tough for the coach. As my team’s representative, I am relieved that I was able to put on a good showing. I want this year to be the year of Prime.
Coming to MLG reminded me that I have a lot of fans. I’d like to thank all my fans who cheer me on. I will make sure to show the best games possible so they don’t get disappointed.
Also, my mother left me a message after watching me win on the live stream. Leaving home at such a young age, I was always sorry to my parents. This win makes me feel like I did something to make them happy. I want to say I love them.
Lastly, I want to thank my sponsors: TtEsports, ocz.

Source: http://leveltory.com/6066
Translator
zaii
Profile Joined October 2010
Guam2611 Posts
March 28 2012 13:06 GMT
#2
finally an interview with the champ
Ryusei-R1
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States2106 Posts
March 28 2012 13:10 GMT
#3
His thought process behind his builds is incredible.

So sexy MKP
Jaedong plz
opterown *
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia54784 Posts
March 28 2012 13:11 GMT
#4
awesome! thanks again
ModeratorRetired LR Bonjwa
TL+ Member
Wrathsc2
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2025 Posts
March 28 2012 13:12 GMT
#5
total baller
A marine walks into a bar and asks, "Wheres the counter?"
dala
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden477 Posts
March 28 2012 13:13 GMT
#6
There’s one thing about GSL that pales in comparison to MLG. It’s noise cancellation. The booths aren’t very sound proof and the facility is just subpar in general. At MLG, the staff try very hard to take care of the players and the facility is very sound proof. You really can’t hear a single thing from the outside. The gaming environment is fantastic.


Perhaps something Mr. Chae should look into?
MetalSlug
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany443 Posts
March 28 2012 13:20 GMT
#7
Such a deserving winner ! 2012 will definitely be the year of Prime !
MKP | Maru | Nada | Boxer | Supernova | Keen
Naded
Profile Joined October 2011
Canada174 Posts
March 28 2012 13:33 GMT
#8
The Champion has spoken! Wooo great interview = )
Do not dissipate your competence by hebetudinous prodigality unless you subsequently lament an exiguous inadequacy.
Nimic
Profile Joined September 2010
Norway1360 Posts
March 28 2012 13:36 GMT
#9
<3 Foxer
StarVe
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany13591 Posts
March 28 2012 13:43 GMT
#10
Thank you for doing these translations, it was a great read!
Nuithari
Profile Joined December 2010
Belgium737 Posts
March 28 2012 13:45 GMT
#11
Very nice interview!
The strategy insight really showed this weekend.

Also, I wonder what cues he sees when he doesn't scout!
"Marineking's greatest strength is his enjoyment of the game" -Grubby
Shellshock
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States97277 Posts
March 28 2012 13:46 GMT
#12
Keep winning! You can do it!
Moderatorhttp://i.imgur.com/U4xwqmD.png
TL+ Member
Kiwiandapple
Profile Joined March 2011
Belgium240 Posts
March 28 2012 13:55 GMT
#13
On March 28 2012 22:45 Nuithari wrote:

Also, I wonder what cues he sees when he doesn't scout!


My guess is the simple example for protoss; scout no sentries at all and just a zealot stalker when scouting double gas? -> dt/void rays. He reads his opponent like that and knows alot of timings out of his head; if he crossed off all the possible things a guy 'cant' do, he can figure out alot by just his aggresive playstyle; whatever the guy could be doing.

On topic; loooove the interview, thanks alot for posting it.
Marineking you are the best! fighting
Don't worry, that's halo!
Derez
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Netherlands6068 Posts
March 28 2012 13:58 GMT
#14
Thanks for the translation. Cool interview.

(Not out of the kong line completely!)
Xxio
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada5565 Posts
March 28 2012 14:02 GMT
#15
storywriter boss translating again!

Great interview. Great answers. Love MKP.
KTY
hyperknight
Profile Joined May 2011
294 Posts
March 28 2012 14:09 GMT
#16
such a bawss. gotta love this kid!
"you 6poll?" - aLive to IdrA on NASL Sunday Showmatch, Feb 2012
Unnamezz
Profile Joined May 2010
Malaysia191 Posts
March 28 2012 14:10 GMT
#17
Lazy and Sleepy
hootsushi
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany3468 Posts
March 28 2012 14:18 GMT
#18
Great interview!
Although I'm kinda sad we're not going to see MKP do the kong dance again! :D
Ace1123
Profile Joined September 2011
Philippines1187 Posts
March 28 2012 14:22 GMT
#19
Go MKP! Win more and be the 1st SC2 Bonjwa!!
ForGG, Mvp, MMA, MarineKing, BoxeR,
TheAngryZergling
Profile Joined January 2011
United States387 Posts
March 28 2012 14:27 GMT
#20
Despite cheering for DRG all the way its impossible not to be happy for MKP. He earned the win. Was so cool to watch him do the Kong dance live. Thanks for the great interview!
Everything in life is most clearly explained through a Starcraft analogy.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 12h 16m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko194
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 27773
Calm 4288
Rain 2683
Hyuk 1501
Bisu 863
FanTaSy 644
Horang2 492
Jaedong 307
Soma 304
Rush 252
[ Show more ]
BeSt 244
Zeus 240
Stork 194
Mong 186
Mini 92
Larva 82
Mind 79
Pusan 70
ZerO 70
Light 62
Barracks 53
Sexy 49
ToSsGirL 47
910 42
Killer 39
Shinee 33
NaDa 30
Free 20
sorry 19
Hm[arnc] 15
Noble 14
Snow 13
Terrorterran 11
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc5679
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1133
byalli854
shoxiejesuss539
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King71
Other Games
gofns49840
singsing1499
dupreeh312
crisheroes246
ZerO(Twitch)5
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix7
• iopq 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1829
• Stunt327
Other Games
• WagamamaTV33
Upcoming Events
OSC
12h 16m
Big Brain Bouts
23h 16m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 6h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 8h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 23h
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.